Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Shaving down it probably not the best idea. Sprint uses a few different type of SIM cards. Just because it will fit, does not mean it will work.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Yea, not on my agenda. Just hoping they're willing to give out SIMs and not charge an exorbitant fee. I've actually seen them refuse to give out SIMs before, but that was back in the age of contracts and before phones could really be moved between carriers—particularly CDMA.

Fun fact: sent my N5 (purchased from Sprint) into LG for a weird power issue without a SIM, and it came back with a new Sprint SIM.

Edited by Nrbelex
  • Like 1

Sprint doesn't charge for SIM cards when you get them direct from them.  You do have to pay for them at Best Buy and at some third party retailers.  I have never paid for any Sprint or AT&T SIM cards.  I've only paid for my Tmo SIM cards.

• Like 3

All I can say is if this a $400 phone that doesn't have 3gb Ram or more than 32gb of Storage, I might as well go buy a Nexus 6 64gb before it goes out of stock. Either that or I'm looking to see if Fi support is announced for any non nexus phones.

Nope.  If they had, you would know about them.  We (I, as the tech editor) would be working feverishly to write up an article on The Wall.  In the meantime, we could not keep the release of the FCC OET authorization upload a secret.  We or somebody else would spill the beans.

It is plausible.  But we probably will not know anything for certain until the reveal event.  I think Google is taking a page from Apple on this one, so the FCC OET authorizations and model numbers will not be unleashed until the day of the announcement.

AJ

How far in advance of the phone's launch do you typically find authorization docs?

Ugh we've had 2GB RAM in phones since 2012. It's time for a bump.

Sent from my M8

I don't want a bump for the sake of a bump. What do you need? I need to 2GB for what I do. Some may need more, I suppose.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I don't want a bump for the sake of a bump. What do you need? I need to 2GB for what I do. Some may need more, I suppose.

I have a modified YouTube that plays music in the background and sometimes it times out because of lack of RAM. I'm ready for another GB!

Sent from my M8

Well, I have seen some slowdowns and high ram usage with apps on my Nexus 5. The other point is that sure it is okay NOW but in 2 years will it be? Hopefully the larger capacity might be offered with 3 GB or something. It'd be an easy upsell for me.

• Like 1

2 GB is not enough for the future.  Yes running a few apps here are there is ok and is sufficient for you but most of us open a ton of apps throughout the day which bogs the system down and can definitely use the extra 1 GB of RAM.  System performance testing should consider all types of users in the spectrum including light users and heavy users.  Also wanting 3GB on a phone is not just for the sake of a bump.  Its been over 2 years since 2 GB RAM phones have been introduced so its not unreasonable.

The Nexus 6 already has 3 GB RAM so why should Google take a step back with 2 GB RAM with the 5X?  I don't think a bigger screen would suddenly warrant more RAM required for a device so Google must have had a reason it wanted to add 3 GB to the Nexus 6.  Google should be keeping the developer devices current not just for now but to be future proof.  Unless the 5X is going to be $250 with 2 GB RAM, I am sorry but I don't like all these compromises just for the sake that people want the Nexus 5X cheaper.  I would want Google to spend the max amount of money on specs to have a $400-450 range phone.

• Like 1

Just curious since it seems the Nexus 5X has gotten the most attention, is anyone here considering the Nexus 6P as a choice if for some reason the Nexus 5X disappoints?

I think if I decide to go big it will be the Note 5. I can't imagine the ergonomics and build quality for a big phone will get any better than that.

More likely I will stick with my G2 until sprint gets a red/orange 5x.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I have 6 messaging apps that all run in the background, thanks to a fragmented ecosystem (not counting SMS). That alone consumes a lot of RAM. Add in a couple tabs on chrome and all that RAM is needed.

Dang... $379.99 starting point for the 5X with these specs?  Seems a bit steep to me.

I'm more interested in the 6P and can only imagine what they'll charge if the 5X is starting at almost 4 bills.

Already have the cash saved up but may just have to buy a 2014 Nexus 6.

Who am I kidding?

Dang... $379.99 starting point for the 5X with these specs?  Seems a bit steep to me.

I'm more interested in the 6P and can only imagine what they'll charge if the 5X is starting at almost 4 bills.

Who am I kidding?

Yeah and at that price I would seriously consider the moto x pure.

• Like 1

Who am I kidding?

Yeah and at that price I would seriously consider the moto x pure.

According to these 2 related articles the Nexus 5X will start at $380 and the Nexus 6P will start at $500.  We will have to see tomorrow if Android Police got this right.

Nexus 5X

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/nexus-5x-will-start-at-379-99-available-for-pre-order-on-september-29th-in-the-u-s-uk-korea-japan-and-ireland/

Nexus 6P

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/exclusive-nexus-6p-will-be-available-for-pre-order-on-september-29th-starting-499-99-in-the-u-s-uk-ireland-canada-and-japan/

• Like 1

They rarely get it wrong..
  • Like 1