Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

They rarely get it wrong..

If that is the case then that is good news.  I might consider getting the Nexus 6P version now instead of the 5X.  The difference between a 32 GB Nexus 5X (probably $50 more) and a 32 GB Nexus 6P (rumored base model) will probably be about $50 - $70.

• Like 2

If that is the case then that is good news.  I might consider getting the Nexus 6P version now instead of the 5X.  The difference between a 32 GB Nexus 5X (probably $50 more) and a 32 GB Nexus 6P (rumored base model) will probably be about $50 - $70.

Man, you guys got me really stumped now.  The whole reason I did not go the Moto X route was because of size, but the 6P looks like it may be the better device until next year.  Ughhh lol

• Like 1

$380 eh? Well I think I just decided that unless I win the Moto X Pure raffle here I will sit this one out and wait for a bunch of comparison reviews. My Nexus 5 is going strong except for the normal degraded battery and a randomly sticky power button.

I can wait a few weeks no problem.

• Like 1

Ugh..I think the biggest downer from one of the rumors is that the Nexus devices will only be sold online and won't be available via carriers.  This sucks for those of us that are still on 2 year contracts and was looking to get it on the cheap.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/nexus-5x-and-6p-will-be-available-online-only-wont-be-sold-in-us-carrier-stores/

• Like 2

Ugh..I think the biggest downer from one of the rumors is that the Nexus devices will only be sold online and won't be available via carriers.  This sucks for those of us that are still on 2 year contracts and was looking to get it on the cheap.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/28/nexus-5x-and-6p-will-be-available-online-only-wont-be-sold-in-us-carrier-stores/

I am still under two year contract but have paid full price for several unsubsidized and/or unlocked handsets during that span.  No big deal.  Just get over it, and suck it up.

And a $400 Nexus handset on subsidy would not be "on the cheap."  The subsidy would more than make up for the cost of the handset.  If it were priced at $200 or even $100 initial payment, that would add further insult to injury.  Only a fool or someone with a cash flow problem would go for that deal.

AJ

• Like 3

I am still under two year contract but have paid full price for several unsubsidized and/or unlocked handsets during that span.  No big deal.  Just get over it, and suck it up.

And a $400 Nexus handset on subsidy would not be "on the cheap."  The subsidy would more than make up for the cost of the handset.  If it were priced at $200 or even $100 initial payment, that would add further insult to injury.  Only a fool or someone with a cash flow problem would go for that deal.

AJ

I probably wouldn't be getting the 5X but the 6P version.  Plus if Sprint sold the 64 GB and 128 GB versions it woudln't be just a $400 handset.  

Also when Sprint sold the Nexus 5 (2013) on contract the upgrade contract price I believe it was only $50 or $100 so add the typical $350 subsidy and you get about $400 which was about the Nexus 5 price.  Maybe Tim or anyone who bought the Nexus 5 (2013) on contract remembers the 2 year upgrade price but it certainly was NOT $199 for the 16 GB version at launch which would make the subsidy only $250.  If it was priced at $199 it would definitely not be worth the 2 year contract since the subsidy would be less.

I would have assumed that if Sprint sold the Nexus 5X 16GB version on contract that it woudln't be at the $199 price.  It would be the $50 to $100 price on 2 year contract price. Either way it doesn't really matter about being on a contract anymore because carriers now will pay ETFs if you decide to leave so there is no real penalty especially if you dont plan to switch carriers at all.  But if you do stay with the same carrier it only benefits you.

EDIT:  I guess the Nexus 5 was sold at a $199 price at launch

I probably wouldn't be getting the 5X but the 6P version. Plus if Sprint sold the 64 GB and 128 GB versions it woudln't be just a $400 handset.

Also when Sprint sold the Nexus 5 (2013) on contract the upgrade contract price I believe it was only $50 or $100 so add the typical $350 subsidy and you get about $400 which was about the Nexus 5 price. Maybe Tim or anyone who bought the Nexus 5 (2013) on contract remembers the 2 year upgrade price but it certainly was NOT $199 for the 16 GB version at launch which would make the subsidy only $250. If it was priced at $199 it would definitely not be worth the 2 year contract since the subsidy would be less.

I would have assumed that if Sprint sold the Nexus 5X 16GB version on contract that it woudln't be at the $199 price. It would be the $50 to $100 price on 2 year contract price. Either way it doesn't really matter about being on a contract anymore because carriers now will pay ETFs if you decide to leave so there is no real penalty especially if you dont plan to switch carriers at all. But if you do stay with the same carrier it only benefits you.

199.99 - 50 Amex gift card

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ugh..I think the biggest downer from one of the rumors is that the Nexus devices will only be sold online and won't be available via carriers. This sucks for those of us that are still on 2 year contracts and was looking to get it on the cheap.

Couldn't possibly disagree more... BTW that's ok. (at least on this site)

Let's get every single person off of subsidies, get pricing to where it needs to be in 2015, and TRULY pay for the service you are using. Total separation of device manufacturers and service providers!

• Like 1

Couldn't possibly disagree more... BTW that's ok. (at least on this site)

Let's get every single person off of subsidies, get pricing to where it needs to be in 2015, and TRULY pay for the service you are using. Total separation of device manufacturers and service providers!

ericdabbs has a vested interest in maintaining contract subsidy.  He is on a sweetheart/sham SERO plan that includes subsidized upgrades -- all of which is a problem in its own right.

AJ

• Like 1

ericdabbs has a vested interest in maintaining contract subsidy.  He is on a sweetheart/sham SERO plan that includes subsidized upgrades -- all of which is a problem in its own right.

AJ

I'm also a SERO member, I'm right there with ericdabbs. It's super annoying to upgrade devices. Got hung up on twice when ordering the N6 because I didn't want TEP. I'll just add it next and use chat to remove it.

• Like 1

I'm also a SERO member, I'm right there with ericdabbs. It's super annoying to upgrade devices. Got hung up on twice when ordering the N6 because I didn't want TEP. I'll just add it next and use chat to remove it.

If you are still on SERO, do you have the right to complain about anything?  Did Russ say that it was okay to whine?

Or should you just thank your lucky stars that you are still getting such sweetheart/sham charity?  As another S4GRU staffer and I discussed, SERO plan users with subsidy are on welfare -- subsidized by Sprint and the rest of us.

AJ

• Like 1

Sprint literally CANNOT afford to maintain SERO and subsidies at this stage. SERO users could be offered leases. I would be OK with that. Or migrate SERO to the new, still cheap plans. Or remaining subsidy plans that aren't SERO while Sprint still offers them. SERO is a major part of why I think Sprint should exit the subsidy business altogether.

• Like 1

Sprint literally CANNOT afford to maintain SERO and subsidies at this stage. SERO users could be offered leases. I would be OK with that. Or migrate SERO to the new, still cheap plans. Or remaining subsidy plans that aren't SERO while Sprint still offers them. SERO is a major part of why I think Sprint should exit the subsidy business altogether.

Although I whole-heartedly agree, let's keep this thread on topic. There are a plethora of other threads in which we can discuss this issue.

SERO users can take advantage the Sprint Lease plan.  If you opt for the new cell phone to use Sprint Easy Pay or Sprint Lease options you can upgrade prior to 24 months.  I called and confirmed earlier this year when I was inquiring about upgrade eligibility when I thought about getting a GS6 back in June. 

Lets not even get into how Sprint literally cannot afford to maintain SERO because when i called earlier this year, they told me that they actually have a new $60 SERO plan (with unlimited minutes..probably to match the new single line Unlimited everything plan) which is different than the grandfathered $50 SERO (500 minutes).  Why they even made that new SERO plan if they really want to kick people out is beyond me which tells me that they aren't in a rush.  I agree with others in that lets move on about discussing the SERO topic because it is not relevant to this thread.