Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Not that I'm aware. I'm waiting to see before I decide between MXPE, N5X or possibly, just maybe, a N6P (albeit unlikely).

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

For me, it's going to be either the N5X or GS7 next.

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware. I'm waiting to see before I decide between MXPE, N5X or possibly, just maybe, a N6P (albeit unlikely).

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

Based on the Amazon India early post, would it be safe to assume the US variant will be LG-H790?  That last Nexus 5 was the D820 for NA and D821 for rest of the world.

nexus2cee_lg-nexus-5x-amazon-india-728x1

Mothers would have to shield the eyes of their small children if you carried around that horrific looking thing.

AJ

Supposedly there is a silver model.  It can look like my beloved, Bender.  Now bite my shiny metal ass.

x_5781b38e.jpg

• Like 2

Based on the Amazon India early post, would it be safe to assume the US variant will be LG-H790?  That last Nexus 5 was the D820 for NA and D821 for rest of the world.

nexus2cee_lg-nexus-5x-amazon-india-728x1

Seems like a reasonable deduction.

Supposedly there is a silver model.  It can look like my beloved, Bender.  Now bite my shiny metal ass.

x_5781b38e.jpg

Go get bent.

AJ

• Like 2

Seems like a reasonable deduction.

Will the FCC withhold authorization docs?  I'm shocked that nothing has passed through.  With the announcement in 5 days, something has to be in their system.

Have any FCC docs been found on this yet?

Nope.  If they had, you would know about them.  We (I, as the tech editor) would be working feverishly to write up an article on The Wall.  In the meantime, we could not keep the release of the FCC OET authorization upload a secret.  We or somebody else would spill the beans.

It is plausible.  But we probably will not know anything for certain until the reveal event.  I think Google is taking a page from Apple on this one, so the FCC OET authorizations and model numbers will not be unleashed until the day of the announcement.

AJ

• Like 3

Nope.  If they had, you would know about them.  We (I, as the tech editor) would be working feverishly to write up an article on The Wall.  In the meantime, we could not keep the release of the FCC OET authorization upload a secret.  We or somebody else would spill the beans.

It is plausible.  But we probably will not know anything for certain until the reveal event.  I think Google is taking a page from Apple on this one, so the FCC OET authorizations and model numbers will not be unleashed until the day of the announcement.

AJ

With not following iDevices very closely, I've never dug into their FCC docs.  It seemed Android flagships always leaked their way through the FCC.  It will be interesting to see if it stays that way until the 29th or if someone finds something at the FCC or another source in the lead up.

Just curious since it seems the Nexus 5X has gotten the most attention, is anyone here considering the Nexus 6P as a choice if for some reason the Nexus 5X disappoints?  Depending on what is announced on the 29th,

I might have to wait to see and play with both the 5X and 6P devices in person to see if it the 6P could be viable for me especially if they can make the 5.7 in screen in a smaller profile than the Note 5.  I have been biased towards the 5X phone since it has the same screen size as the LG G2 which I love but it seems like each leak that is released makes it a weaker speced phone.

Just curious since it seems the Nexus 5X has gotten the most attention, is anyone here considering the Nexus 6P as a choice if for some reason the Nexus 5X disappoints? Depending on what is announced on the 29th,

Personally, I'm not really considering the 5X at all. If I do get a Nexus device it will almost certainly be the 6P. I prefer having a phone with a bigger screen. And that's assuming that the 6P has full Sprint compatibility, of course.

• Like 1

Just curious since it seems the Nexus 5X has gotten the most attention, is anyone here considering the Nexus 6P as a choice if for some reason the Nexus 5X disappoints?  Depending on what is announced on the 29th,

I might have to wait to see and play with both the 5X and 6P devices in person to see if it the 6P could be viable for me especially if they can make the 5.7 in screen in a smaller profile than the Note 5.  I have been biased towards the 5X phone since it has the same screen size as the LG G2 which I love but it seems like each leak that is released makes it a weaker speced phone.

I'm on the fence.  If there is only $100 difference between the 5X and 6P (like the upgrade to the 6s Plus), then I will have a dillemma.  If it is $250 or more difference, then it is highly unlikely I would go with the 6P.

I think all things considered, I like the 5X and 6P equally.  The 5X form factor, but the 6P specs.  But if the 6P is the better RF performer or a better device for enthusiasts, I would go 6P in a heartbeat over the 5X.  And I don't even dislike the bulge treatment on the back of the 6P.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence. If there is only $100 difference between the 5X and 6P (like the upgrade to the 6s Plus), then I will have a dillemma. If it is $250 or more difference, then it is highly unlikely I would go with the 6P.

I think all things considered, I like the 5X and 6P equally. The 5X form factor, but the 6P specs. But if the 6P is the better RF performer or a better device for enthusiasts, I would go 6P in a heartbeat over the 5X. And I don't even dislike the bulge treatment on the back of the 6P.

:why not both meme:

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

:why not both meme:

Sent from my Nexus 5

I wish it were only possible.  I'm limited by mere finances.  My Volvo mechanic needs to go to Bermuda this year, so it is severely limiting my funds available for devices.  I had to sell my Nexus 6 to my son in order to get enough money to buy a new device this Fall.

I wonder what kind of UICC/SIM card that the Nexus 5X will utilize.  Certainly, it will be a 4FF nano SIM, but my guess is that it also will be running a CSIM, like the Moto X Style.  Do we know if the LG G4 is running a CSIM?  That is probably the clearest indicator.

From the corporate Sprint Store that gave me the wrong SIM, I now have a spare USIM but not a spare CSIM.  If the Google Store nee Google Play has its shit together -- but it usually does not on these device launches -- it will offer the option of a kitted SIM from the wireless provider of your choice, possibly for a small extra charge.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm on the fence. If there is only $100 difference between the 5X and 6P (like the upgrade to the 6s Plus), then I will have a dillemma. If it is $250 or more difference, then it is highly unlikely I would go with the 6P.

I think all things considered, I like the 5X and 6P equally. The 5X form factor, but the 6P specs. But if the 6P is the better RF performer or a better device for enthusiasts, I would go 6P in a heartbeat over the 5X. And I don't even dislike the bulge treatment on the back of the 6P.

So basically < $250 diff is a no brainer for the 6P assuming strong RF real world results and phone performance. Yeah I guess I am starting to warm up to a possibility of the 6P assuming the form factor isn't so bulky. I am glad Google this time around realized the 6 inch size is just a tad too big. I always though the 5.5-5.7 inch form factor is the perfect size for the phablet domain.

It would be interesting to see if the Nexus 6P will have the 3500 maH battery as is rumored.  That will definitely get me thinking about the 6P but the Snapdragon 810 chip does have me a bit worried unless Qualcomm has somehow addressed the issues that the big OEMs LG and Samsung have complained about huge power consumption earlier this year.

It would be interesting to see if the Nexus 6P will have the 3500 maH battery as is rumored.  That will definitely get me thinking about the 6P but the Snapdragon 810 chip does have me a bit worried unless Qualcomm has somehow addressed the issues that the big OEMs LG and Samsung have complained about huge power consumption earlier this year.

I keep hearing people complain about the 810 over and over, yet no real world issues. Also, manufacturing yields improve with factory tweaking. At this point that Soc should be quite mature and probably more stable than something released today.

I keep hearing people complain about the 810 over and over, yet no real world issues. Also, manufacturing yields improve with factory tweaking. At this point that Soc should be quite mature and probably more stable than something released today.

I guess according to the article below, Qualcomm claims the overheating issues were claimed on the revision 1 pre production units sent to OEMs for evaluation but the actual chips used in the final version in the various phones are revision 2.1 which suppose to have improved on thermal efficiency on it.  But who knows how efficient Qualcomm made it since there are claims that it had improved but still runs warm.

However they were saying that phones that are bigger provide more room for the heat to dissipate which you don't have as much luxury on the smaller 5 inch flagships.  Either way I think everyone agrees that despite the efficiencies that were made to the 810 chip rev 2.1, it was still a failed chip overall.  I hope Huawei and Google have fine tuned the software and hardware to make improvements on top of what Qualcomm has already done with the latest rev 2.1 chip.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m9-already-using-snapdragon-810-v21

Hopefully Qualcomm comes back with the 820 chip to build trust again with their high end chips.

That would be true if Qualcomm actually did something to improve the efficiency in the earlier batch of 810 chips that were displaying poor battery efficiency. You do make a good point though, if it was soooo bad that it was to be absolutely avoided, then why were there still some OEMs particularly Chinese OEMs and Sony phones that decided to use the 810 chip to power the phones. I am just worried on how the 810 chip will affect the Nexus phone.

Plus Qualcomm has been constantly mentioning how release 2 of the 810 is significantly better, the phone will probably have release 2 so hopefully a big improvement.

Plus Qualcomm has been constantly mentioning how release 2 of the 810 is significantly better, the phone will probably have release 2 so hopefully a big improvement.

Actually it should be release 2.1 by now.  Even HTC confirmed in my post above that the HTC M9 which was released back in April already had rev 2.1 of the 810 chip in the phone.

So assuming the Google store doesn't have its act together, and the phone doesn't ship with a Sprint SIM, A. can we just pop the SIM from a 2013 Nexus 5 into the new one, or B. will we have to go to a Sprint corporate store, and if so, are they going to know what to do, and will they charge?

So assuming the Google store doesn't have its act together, and the phone doesn't ship with a Sprint SIM, A. can we just pop the SIM from a 2013 Nexus 5 into the new one, or B. will we have to go to a Sprint corporate store, and if so, are they going to know what to do, and will they charge?

I think the Nexus 5X and 6P is rumored to use a nano SIM while the Nexus 5 (2013) uses a micro SIM.  Don't think they are compatible.  It is usually advised to go to a Sprint corporate store and request a SIM card.  Not sure about pricing since I have not bought a Nexus device from the Play Store before.

I think the Nexus 5X and 6P will use a nano SIM while the Nexus 5 (2013) uses a micro SIM.  Don't think they are compatible.  It is usually advised to go to a Sprint corporate store and request a SIM card.  Not sure about pricing since I have not bought a Nexus device from the Play Store before.

Argh, guess that means Sprint store and all the nonsense that entails. Or shaving down the SIM—which I'd really like to avoid.

Argh, guess that means Sprint store and all the nonsense that entails. Or shaving down the SIM—which I'd really like to avoid.

Shaving down it probably not the best idea. Sprint uses a few different type of SIM cards. Just because it will fit, does not mean it will work.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk