T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

On a side note, what is your issue with VZW? 

"Gold standard" is silly. Verizon and AT&T embarrass this country. Neither has gathered their stuff to consistently stay number 1 or tied in the vast majority of markets. It's a perpetual cycle of laziness and springing into action, and Verizon happens to do better staying close to the top. Good for them. 

For one, I'm incredibly disappointed in their network performance and how nothing has changed for years in some areas. I'm sure AT&T is still disappointing people out there. I don't care, they shouldn't be using what doesn't work. Much of this is anecdotal anyways. So if I move somewhere Sprint and AT&T sucks, I switch. Super simple. I don't make this a career or cause. It's a hobby.

It's sad I still hear people on the big number one saying "I don't get data here" or "I don't get texts or calls sometimes", when I can pull out an AT&T, Sprint or occasionally T-Mobile phone with a 3G or better data connection ready and never a vanishing message. I also hate how people stick up for them when they are not worthy. Number 1 shouldn't mean an earned excuse, it should mean the opposite: they should be delivering more with pride and have zero excuses. 

But honestly and jokes aside- at the end of the day I'd use them if I needed to. And I don't care if people use any given carrier. Unlike these psycho magentans, I don't think people using any one of the 4 carriers are getting duked (unless they have a poor experience and refuse to leave, but that's their problem). Likewise, I also don't think any carrier cares about me as a person.

Ok?

• Like 1

"Gold standard" is silly. Verizon and AT&T embarrass this country. Neither has gathered their stuff to consistently stay number 1 or tied in the vast majority of markets. It's a perpetual cycle of laziness and springing into action, and Verizon happens to do better staying close to the top. Good for them.

For one, I'm incredibly disappointed in their network performance and how nothing has changed for years in some areas. I'm sure AT&T is still disappointing people out there. I don't care, they shouldn't be using what doesn't work. Much of this is anecdotal anyways. So if I move somewhere Sprint and AT&T sucks, I switch. Super simple. I don't make this a career or cause. It's a hobby.

It's sad I still hear people on the big number one saying "I don't get data here" or "I don't get texts or calls sometimes", when I can pull out an AT&T, Sprint or occasionally T-Mobile phone with a 3G or better data connection ready and never a vanishing message. I also hate how people stick up for them when they are not worthy. Number 1 shouldn't mean an earned excuse, it should mean the opposite: they should be delivering more with pride and have zero excuses.

But honestly and jokes aside- at the end of the day I'd use them if I needed to. And I don't care if people use any given carrier. Unlike these psycho magentans, I don't think people using any one of the 4 carriers are getting duked (unless they have a poor experience and refuse to leave, but that's their problem). Likewise, I also don't think any carrier cares about me as a person.

Ok?

Fair points. I could make the same case for people using AT&T in St. Louis, that's why I'm thankful there are third party measurements. I tested out T-Mobile and AT&T here, and VZW still won out.

That said I think VZW and AT&T both could do better. Especially as corporate citizens where they both earn failing grades. That is why I wanted to make it clear I was talking about this from a network POV.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

"How wrong u is"? Seriously? You can't even type proper English? I can't imagine how impossible it is to speak with you in person. And just because your market is still running well is not indicative of the network as a whole. So please quit deceiving yourself.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

Thats how it is in the south. I say you is sometimes. No need to get defensive just because he's having a good experience with another carrier. I know its a sprint forum but its not that serious.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thats how it is in the south. I say you is sometimes. No need to get defensive just because he's having a good experience with another carrier. I know its a sprint forum but its not that serious.

'How wrong u is" has nothing to do with getting "defensive just because he is having a good experience with another carrier." It does have everything to do with some semblance of proper English.

• Like 2

I'm not defensive of his good experience. I'm defensive of his grammar. And I grew up with a grammar nazi at home, she should have been an English teacher, but that's neither here nor there. I just can't stand most grammatically incorrect "sentences" that are out there anymore. It's not hip. End of subject!

• Like 3

'How wrong u is" has nothing to do with getting "defensive just because he is having a good experience with another carrier." It does have everything to do with some semblance of proper English.

Its not against the law to use slang. Unless you absolutely have no clue what the other person it shouldn't be a issue.

No offense but isn't mellimel from Chicago? I'm further south than he is. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 3

Its not against the law to use slang. Unless you absolutely have no clue what the other person it shouldn't be a issue.

I don't have a clue what the "unless the other person it" is supposed to mean.

While you are correct that it isn't against the law to use slang, you are horribly mistaken in assuming the "laws" or legal standard apply to moderation of a message board. I'm not a spelling or grammar Nazi by any means (and Lord knows I make plenty of mistakes on both on message boards); that said, if 99% of the board can conjure some semblance of the English language through spelling out words fully and making complete sentences, then avoiding "slang" as you put it, isn't an unrealistic expectation.

• Like 4

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3uqlwt/will_tmobile_be_the_number_one_provider_one_day/

These people are delusional, and living in pink pink land. The cult is not only very strong, but delusional too.

Only possibility is they buy out or merge with Sprint. Otherwise it is impossible.

• Like 2

Only possibility is they buy out or merge with Sprint. Otherwise it is impossible.

I will just say, desperate times comes desperate measures.  I believe Verizon/AT&T would offer unlimited data again, if they got to the point of needing customers back.  But that'll be awhile.  But, if that did happen, you know they'd get a ton of customers back onto their networks.

• Like 1

It would be incredibly difficult for sprint or tmobile to become #1. It would basically require them to exceed verizon on coverage while still offering more for less, then both companies would have to overcome peoples previous impressions. Verizon and AT&T have phenomenally low churn rates, basically very loyal customers. Tmobile has some momentum and they have managed to significantly increase their subscriber base, but they had huge amounts of underutilized midband spectrum and a pile of money and spectrum from the failed at&t merger and then additional subs from the metropcs merger. From now onward it will be harder for them. They need spectrum, which means cash to buy and roll out. They need to expand their macro site network coverage while densifying areas already covered. They have some momentum and public opinion but that is fragile.

Sprint just needs to deploy what it has, which it now certainly seems to be doing and it has another plan for increasing the scope and density of their network. It needs to turn around public opinion but tmo has proven there are a huge number of people who will switch back and forth. To become number 1 they need an image that will lure verizons best customers away, Sprint can do this where tmobile can't. Sprint always had a more professional image than tmobile, but I feel they did suffer badly over the past 5-6 years and get left behind. Legere capitalized on this. Now NV is pretty much done it should be quicker for them to roll out updates to the network, that was always the argument, that NV sites would be future proofed and easy to upgrade. Sprint will be able to quickly add extra carriers and upgrade backhaul. They stand a chance to changing their image but we now need to see them accelerate. 

The lastest offer from tmo of extra money to lure specifically sprint subs is exactly what is wrong with the industry. Sprint and tmobile can coexist, taking shots at each other just allows the big two more chance to pull away. Tmo is by far the worst but not the only one, they both need to focus on challenging the duopoly and not fighting each other. Hell if they had any sense they would team up to cover areas where neither of them have coverage. It would make it more economical to cover very rural areas. Set it up as a third company with ownership shared and run it as a non profit. 

just my 2 magentan cents

• Like 2

I'm not defensive of his good experience. I'm defensive of his grammar. And I grew up with a grammar nazi at home, she should have been an English teacher, but that's neither here nor there. I just can't stand most grammatically incorrect "sentences" that are out there anymore. It's not hip. End of subject!

haha first thing i thought...

• Like 1

I really don't know what to do then. Sprint has a monster hole near me with unusable inside and outside data.  Apparently, no plans to fill the gap or upgrade the lone non network vision tower supporting the area.  Verizon for some reason is usually 1x in my house, 3G outside it.  T-mobile has poor tower density and apparently similar problems as sprint.  ATT is god damn expensive.

It really bothers me to be unable to stream music or get navigation directions and regularly drop calls with my sprint phone within the first 3 or 4 miles of my commute.  My friends have T-mobile and their service has always been faster than mine.  Went to the movies this weekend with them at Park West.  They have 4-bar LTE indoor, I had 2 bar 3G.

I'm curious, where is that cell site?

I'm curious, where is that cell site?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.498766,-112.3328413,15z  at Valley Golf Center.

It serves an area about 1.5 mile radius of it.  Nearest towers are over 2 miles from it.  Still 3G.  No NV.  Virtually unusable data 3/4 mile from the tower.

Same device.

First is VZW. Second T-Mobile.

d84bdd616fc2463e664c3cadf6afde0f.jpg

ca42de0330e374fb277caa77b8fdfd2e.jpg

Honestly, I would be happy with either, but there are still a few holes like Sparta, IL (population 4400) where T-Mobile would have to expand for me to consider moving to T-Mobile via device buyout.

• Like 2

Meh. The guys life sucks if I'm recalling previous posts correctly, so I'm okay with him getting a good deal on a better network.

But it is a bit hypocritical to slam a company and its leadership so hard and then desperately try to get service there.

Actually, I'm not trying to get a better deal from T-Mobile, it is my mother's account, not mine. I've made it very clear here in my posts about this, and as my mother has had T-Mobile for many, many years, and has paid them alot, naturally she is inclined to keep them if she is happy with the service. I have my own opinions of the company, which generally isn't positive, but I also have to look at this from my mother's point of view here too. Many customers got this deal for being loyal customers. My mother did not, which was a billing error on the side of T-Mobile. She spoke again with her contact at T-Mobile just today who seemed to confirm this, as he has gone out of his way to try keeping her at T-Mobile, even though I had pretty much convinced her to leave them. This was just what we wanted them to do to keep us, but it wasn't what we were out to seek. My mother's call into their department was to clear up a billing error from our port out to Verizon a few weeks ago. The guy she spoke with was very nice about it and wondered what would bring us back to T-Mobile and this was it.

The poster you responded too who thinks I'm out to game the T-Mobile system is wrong. The paragraph I wrote above is why it is wrong. However, I'm not going to argue the issue of the ethics and morality of asking for a discount, especially on a site where plenty of its members here on S4GRU have discounts. For me or anyone to argue that discounts are bad, unworthy of, etc., especially on a site full of people receiving them, is just silly and a bit stupid. However, i've tried explaining the situation to the best of my ability and I do think if my mother is going to go back to T-Mobile, they should give her the price she really should have received back when it was being offered to loyalty customers.

Apparently, her contact at T-Mobile agrees, and he is going to give her the plan.Not only that, but he has offered both a $100 discount off of the device she decides to get, plus he is waiving all the fees from the last bill. Those she did not ask for, only for the plan. So, T-Mobile obviously does honor her years of loyalty, and to that I will give them credit for. Surely, I have criticized the company, but I will say good for the positive things they do, and I have, despite my being more critical of them than positive in the past.

Oh, and I've been very honest about my life, and will say that generally it does suck. I've had serious conversations with my mother about it who does agree with me it would have been better had she not met my father. I'm in near chronic pain every day, almost cannot walk, and when my nerve pain flares up, I'm screaming for release from it, which is why I'm on very major pain medications. So considering that, I'm not at all concerned by people who try to criticize me for the decisions my mother makes, or my opinions I give to her concerning her cell phone decisions. Although I find it amusing that someone on an online forum would take offense to this.

I'm a little curious as to what entitles you to a very limited targeted rate plan for loyal customers on legacy rate plans. You've spoken plenty about network abuse, and this is billing abuse.

I'm all for getting a deal, but wasting internal resources time trying to hem and haw because you want to be treated special because you don't want to pay the going rate for what you want is abuse of the system.

As a postpaid customer of 11 years paying simple choice rates, what makes you more eligible for a special rate than I?

Although I made a response to this above, I'm a bit surprised T-Mobile didn't offer you the plan, as  at the time it was announced on TmoNews, it sounded as most customers on postpaid plans pre-Simple Choice, seeing as Simple Choice plans really have only been around a few years since John Legere took over, were getting switched to this plan, other than those on more recent plans right before Simple Choice.

Since you've been with them for that long, it would seem you'd qualify for it, unless you are on a family plan. Again, this is based from the news on TmoNews at the the time and the representative who talked with my mother made it seem as the majority plan for customers on T-Mobile for many years, as the way T-Mobile was "restructuring" their older plans to simplify their accounting. Although, I heard nothing about family plans in this, so that could be different.

Im a little lost on the speedtest arguing. Far as im concerned, if you have the pink then binge b!t€h BINGE! Stream like you just got your life seconds ago. Tell everyone else to binge! Show Tmo who is boss, be entitled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Im a little lost on the speedtest arguing. Far as im concerned, if you have the pink then binge b!t€h BINGE! Stream like you just got your life seconds ago. Tell everyone else to binge! Show Tmo who is boss, be entitled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started watching House of Cards on Netflix during my commute (50 minute train ride). I didn't do that before BingeOn :-)

When magenta stops working, I'll switch again. I don't have loyalty to a carrier anymore.

• Like 3

Everyone on Magenta can speed test all day as far as I care, their corporate leaders brag about their results on their Twitters and it has a zero rating on their network. Go for it!

I just don't see how any of that translates to real world usage.

• Like 1