T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I wonder if T-Mobile customers know that they have to use up their Data Stash before the 3 months free unlimited kicks in.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Wow really? That's going to be hard to do since pretty much most is free from using your data. Even on my extra line I struggle to hit 5gb due to the services I use are exempt from using my data. Maybe T-Mobile knows a lot of people won't use this offer because the data people have hoarded will be hard to blow through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's another sneaky way to get people to change plans. He announces free unlimited lte and people don't know about the small print. They receive a text about their gift. After 3 months of using more LTE than usual they find out their stash is gone and think they need a higher data bucket. I must say JL is one slick dude. Like uncarrier X, unlimited streaming, low def to control network capacity and automatically enabled so most users wont even know ( also reduces ALL streaming video not just binge on video) and doesn't mention rate increases.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I honestly think the unlimited for 3 months thing is just to fix BingeOn. There are several problems with it not working correctly, so the 3 months allows them to get things fixed and not worry about over whelming customer service with credit requests. Any other benefit (getting people to upgrade plans, etc) is just an added perk FOR t-mobile.

I honestly think the unlimited for 3 months thing is just to fix BingeOn. There are several problems with it not working correctly, so the 3 months allows them to get things fixed and not worry about over whelming customer service with credit requests. Any other benefit (getting people to upgrade plans, etc) is just an added perk FOR t-mobile.

I'm willing to bet they're grabbing statistics for future customers. "We gave all of our customers unlimited data, and 99% of them still fell under 6GB of usage with our Music Freedom/Binge On. Switch today for our promotional rates with 6GB/line!"

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

T-Mobile BingeOn is not the only assault on Net Neutrality. Now it's Amazon Underground: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/underground

My son posted it on his Facebook. He and his friends are all excited to get free apps and content. But really, Amazon is now picking winners and losers. Winners get access to millions of Amazon customers who get their stuff for free. Losers get shut out and their apps fade to oblivion.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

T-Mobile BingeOn is not the only assault on Net Neutrality. Now it's Amazon Underground: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/underground

My son posted it on his Facebook. He and his friends are all excited to get free apps and content. But really, Amazon is now picking winners and losers. Winners get access to millions of Amazon customers who get their stuff for free. Losers get shut out and their apps fade to oblivion.

I had the Amazon Appstore loaded on my Note5 as part of the obligatory Verizon bloat. I just looked at their free apps. Most of them are really bad. It just left me wondering "why would I want that crap on my device?" This is coming from someone who has a lot of apps on my device. That said, I like for the apps that I have on to be somewhat useful. 

This is precisely what I was afraid of, even testing software is no longer accurate because certain servers aren't "whitelisted" by Tmobile. FCC needs to deal with this before it gets out of hand. 

People are already complaining about the Tunein app requiring the "Premium" version on BingeOn. So much for "free" stuff.

• Like 4

All this net neutrality stuff is NOTHING compared to Comcast's "Stream TV" which exempts services through comcast from data caps.. if you sign up for stream TV.
"For $15 per month, users get access to standard live TV content from ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, Univision and HBO, as well as on demand video content. And as Comcast confirmed to the media when it announced the service, Stream TV content does not count against data caps for users in any of the 27 markets that now have 300GB caps."

Thanks T-Mobile for paving the way to successfully fucking up the internet
  • Like 5

All this net neutrality stuff is NOTHING compared to Comcast's "Stream TV" which exempts services through comcast from data caps.. if you sign up for stream TV.
"For $15 per month, users get access to standard live TV content from ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, Univision and HBO, as well as on demand video content. And as Comcast confirmed to the media when it announced the service, Stream TV content does not count against data caps for users in any of the 27 markets that now have 300GB caps."

Their argument would be that it isn't on the Internet because it it's on their network, much like Comcast on Demand was. Technically, they aren't wrong. 

Their argument would be that it isn't on the Internet because it it's on their network, much like Comcast on Demand was. Technically, they aren't wrong. 

Well, yes and no. It runs on the same physical network to your home and this differs slightly from comcast on demand in that rather than being delivered over another software network Steam TV  is then transported exactly the same as internet traffic but using a different flow which I have not found enough information on how this would be different, if at all, from other internet traffic.  So far this sounds like they are not using a separate physical network or the TV side of things and they they are using your internet channels. 

Specifically, we provision a separate, additional bandwidth flow into the home for the use of this service — above and beyond, and distinct from, the bandwidth a customer has for his or her regular Internet access service. Our Xfinity TV content is provided through the Xbox over that separate service flow, and therefore does not use a customer's provisioned Internet service capacity. We use Differentiated Services Code Point ("DSCP") markings to mark the Xfinity TV packets to identify these packets so our network knows that these packets must be transmitted over the separate service flow from the CMTS to the customer's cable modem

BUT the only reason for this flagging is to discern it to be exempt from data caps.I mean, basically I see this as them admitting that they are using the existing physical network set aside for internet and their "additional bandwidth flow" is just packet identified traffic that is exempt.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=tv&catId=service_ready_now&catName=Ready+Now&detName=Sprint+TV&specialCat=#!/

I remember this from when I was a sprint sub about 5 years ago. Tmobile was not the first to do this, and they did it with their own product not other peoples. A little objectivity required here people :) Yes what tmobile is doing is questionable but they are not alone and others have done worse before them.

You are entirely correct, this will also work in court. This is also why we need to drown lawyers. They have managed to utterly destroy the intent of the legislation without actually breaking it. Go team 

• Like 1

I spent an hour with him this morning explaining Net Neutrality and the medium and long term impacts of having content controlled portals.  He said he didn't care, he just wants free stuff.  He just repeats back the talking points, that anyone can ask Amazon or Tmo to be included.  What's the big deal, Dad?  He went back and checked his Google Play purchases total.  He spent $240 in 6 years.  About $3/month.  I asked him if he was willing to give up future innovations and limit his choices to save a paltry $3 per month.  He said, "hell yeah!"

Circus and bread.  Give the people circus and bread, and watch them hand over their liberties and privileges.

This new generation just does not get it.  They don't care that getting things "Free" has a cost.  And even free things need to pass a cost/benefit analysis.  They will sell tomorrow to do something today.  Where did I go wrong as a parent???

• Like 8

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=tv&catId=service_ready_now&catName=Ready+Now&detName=Sprint+TV&specialCat=#!/

I remember this from when I was a sprint sub about 5 years ago. Tmobile was not the first to do this, and they did it with their own product not other peoples. A little objectivity required here people :) Yes what tmobile is doing is questionable but they are not alone and others have done worse before them.

You are entirely correct, this will also work in court. This is also why we need to drown lawyers. They have managed to utterly destroy the intent of the legislation without actually breaking it. Go team 

Those of us who are Pro Net Neutrality don't stand for it when Sprint has done or will do it again in the future, either.  It's bad when anyone does it.

• Like 5

Those of us who are Pro Net Neutrality don't stand for it when Sprint has done or will do it again in the future, either.  It's bad when anyone does it.

But we also must consider the context of the time.  A decade ago, Net Neutrality was not the concern that it is today.

AJ

• Like 2

Gonna have to disagree with your assessment here Robert.

Amazon Underground is free and open to any developer who submits their app, providing that the follow the guidelines. This is not too unlike Google Play, which has its own set of guidelines that developers have to abide by in order to remain listed. By your assessment, Google Play is a "walled garden," when in reality it's an open platform for listing applications. Apple's App Store is arguably a worse offender since Apple reviews applications before they are even listed at all and can outright deny listing on the app store. In Apple's walled garden approach they haven't been picking winners and losers as there are many apps which provide similar functionality. It's not "picking winners and losers" unless Amazon starts to decline listing of apps that compete with Amazon's own services, or declining apps based on there already being an app of similar functionality listed. If that starts happening (like they have already done with refusing to sell Chromecast), then there's a problem. Until then I see no issue with Amazon Underground. Users get "free" apps and developers get more ways to monetize. There's obviously still a price to be paid for the "free" apps in the form of extra tracking and analytics, but that's a different can of worms.

Gonna have to disagree with your assessment here Robert.

Amazon Underground is free and open to any developer who submits their app, providing that the follow the guidelines. This is not too unlike Google Play, which has its own set of guidelines that developers have to abide by in order to remain listed. It's not "picking winners and losers" unless Amazon starts to decline listing of apps that compete with Amazon's own services, or declining apps based on there already being an app of similar functionality listed. If that starts happening (like they have already done with refusing to sell Chromecast), then there's a problem. Until then I see no issue with Amazon Underground. Users get "free" apps and developers get more ways to monetize. There's obviously still a price to be paid for the "free" apps in the form of extra tracking and analytics, but that's a different can of worms.

Yes, here we go.  Amazon now becomes a portal with a 'free' service.  They get ultimate choice who they support and who they pay.  They may be open up front, but now we are setting up another gatekeeper.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  No gateway and portal keepers for the open internet.

They make it alluring by making it free.  Then people all jump on board and it becomes a major content portal.  And then they can do whatever they want.

We need to leave the internet open and reject these portals.  Wait until it's not just apps.  It may even become the whole worldwide web.  Maybe even S4GRU will have to one day get permission to be used for free from the Portal Gods.

This is not good for anyone.  They are trying to re-do what made the internet great.  Big Business always hated competing with me and you and the guy down the street.  They want ultimate control.  And your generation will give it to them for circus and bread.

319490_390141367712966_1481519.jpg

• Like 3

Net Neutrality is a principle that ISP's (and the governments regulating them) should not be allowed to discriminate against content over the net, because they hold an effective monopoly over access.

Amazon's "pay developers for eyeballs" play is slimy, but is not a violation of Net Neutrality by definition.

Net Neutrality isn't a catch-all phrase for any company acting as a "gatekeeper", or using their influence to pick winners or losers -- Net Neutrality is a specific principle against a specific type of transgression. I worry that if people throw that label onto anything that happens to be "bad", it cheapens the meaning.

• Like 5

Time Warner Cable is doing there here in NYC for us for free. If you have a Roku box, you can download the TWC TV channel and get access to all your channels streaming within your home.

This is not good for anyone.

Gateways and portals are "bad chicken."  But, then, people become addicted.

AJ

• Like 3

Time Warner Cable is doing there here in NYC for us for free. If you have a Roku box, you can download the TWC TV channel and get access to all your channels streaming within your home.

Although I do see how this is bad, I think it's just TWC trying to keep the "cord-cutters" as customers.

• Like 2

Although I do see how this is bad, I think it's just TWC trying to keep the "cord-cutters" as customers.

I don't think it is a bad thing, as it is just limited to existing TWC customers, and just an alternative to running ugly coax all over the house.

I love it because my bedroom now has a functional TV.

I don't think it is a bad thing, as it is just limited to existing TWC customers, and just an alternative to running ugly coax all over the house.

I love it because my bedroom now has a functional TV.

Got the offer by email, the twc stuff only benefit is you don't pay for a cable box box monthly fees. Still if you want the cable channels like CNN espn etc you need to drop 49.99 monthly for the first year.

Internet 64.99+49.99 115 dollars, and this is what cord cutters like myself want to avoid. It's like you are paying the same thing minus the cable boxes fees.

• Like 2

Yes, here we go. Amazon now becomes a portal with a 'free' service. They get ultimate choice who they support and who they pay. They may be open up front, but now we are setting up another gatekeeper. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. No gateway and portal keepers for the open internet.

They make it alluring by making it free. Then people all jump on board and it becomes a major content portal. And then they can do whatever they want.

We need to leave the internet open and reject these portals. Wait until it's not just apps. It may even become the whole worldwide web. Maybe even S4GRU will have to one day get permission to be used for free from the Portal Gods.

This is not good for anyone. They are trying to re-do what made the internet great. Big Business always hated competing with me and you and the guy down the street. They want ultimate control. And your generation will give it to them for circus and bread.

The internet has had some form of portals for a long time. There's nothing inherently wrong with portals on the internet. YouTube is a free and open content portal with moentization features, is there something wrong with that? At its core, a web portal is just a site that aggregates content from numerous sources in to an easily accessible site.

The internet will continue to be free and open as it is today unless ISPs start mucking about. The FCC passing net neutrality rules is a key step in keeping the internet free and open and preventing this from happening. There is nothing inherently wrong with businesses using the internet to make money or curate content so long as the average Joe can continue to run his own website. The beauty of the internet is that everyone, from big corporations to individuals, is free to create their own websites and services.