T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Data speeds absolutely matter.

1. The higher the speed, the more the capacity. If a bunch of people flood to your cell you're more likely to have the 5-12 Mbps speeds you desire.

2. Battery life. Race to sleep dictates that less battery is used on higher LTE speeds.

3. More efficient use. The less you have to wait for your smartphone to download, the more you can do other things with your time.

4. Everything will be IP data in the future. Even voice. It already is on T-Mobile and AT&T, and is opt-in on Verizon but will probably be default soon. Verizon VoLTE is very close to the same call drop rate as their CDMA network according to David Small, one of their senior Vice Presidents.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizons-small-we-have-close-4m-volte-customers/2015-08-11

On a side note, I don't get why Sprint is trying to do VoLTE to CDMA eSRVCC fallback when no other operator on the planet is doing it or trying.

Then again, John Saw is pointing out Sprint's increased data speeds in blog posts, so I think I'll roll with his general modus operandi.

• Like 2

I like the videos to be honest. Hopefully Sprint will get this way which they should since they have so much b41 under them. But these commercials do. A good job at explaining network congestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I like Sprint, I know it's not for everyone so I figured I'd share this with everyone here.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/sprint-holiday-offer.htm

$200 additional credit if you switch from Sprint to T-Mo during the holidays.  This stacks on top of the up to $650 etf reimbursement.

• Like 1

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3u2xk0/idea_for_an_uncarrier_event_timely_android_updates/

This is an interesting discussion. T-Mobile is lagging everyone on Android updates. The "Uncarrier" idea was to update Android properly. That won't fit the criteria. That isn't free stuff. T-Mobile is underinvesting in their Android updates, ironic when they need to keep things like VoLTE and VoWiFi up to date as well as zero day patches.

These are the type of issues that fester under the surface, yet we have the T-Mobile Magentan cheerleaders who normally pimp T-Mobile's alleged superiority on things like Call Continuity, which they quickly shut up about when Sprint activated it, RCS, which literally no one gives a flying fuck about, or LTE Advanced, which they have also shut up about since Sprint launched it as well.

Those cheerleaders are silent on the Android updates thread.

Yes they have VoLTE and VoWiFi but if they don't keep VoLTE devices up to date and work with manufacturers better to enable VoLTE on unlocked devices, what's the point? T-Mobile becoming Mini Verizon with similar attitudes on Net Neutrality.

Why sink billions in spectrum you can't use for at least 3-5 years when you can spend the same billions to deploy 20-40-60-80mhz of prime high capacity spectrum TODAY.

Because only 5x5 800 isn't going to cut it. At some point they will need additional low band spectrum. Not thinking about the future in that department will cost them down the line.

• Like 2

Why sink billions in spectrum you can't use for at least 3-5 years when you can spend the same billions to deploy 20-40-60-80mhz of prime high capacity spectrum TODAY.

This could factor into the conspiracy theories on SoftBank not wanting Sprint to be successful so they can roll Sprint into T-Mobile instead. I hate to be like that but there's a little voice in my head wanting me to buy into that. [emoji40][emoji40][emoji40]

Because only 5x5 800 isn't going to cut it. At some point they will need additional low band spectrum. Not thinking about the future in that department will cost them down the line.

The purpose of densification is to increase capacity and make it so that indoor you're more likely to be on Band 41 or Band 25, essentially removing the need to be on Band 26 while indoors in certain areas. What the point in deploying another 5x5 in 600MHz way down the line when through densification you can achieve the same purpose.

• Like 1

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3u2xk0/idea_for_an_uncarrier_event_timely_android_updates/

Yes they have VoLTE and VoWiFi but if they don't keep VoLTE devices up to date and work with manufacturers better to enable VoLTE on unlocked devices, what's the point? T-Mobile becoming Mini Verizon with similar attitudes on Net Neutrality.

All I know is if I used my Nexus 5x on T-Mobile, I'd have access to VoLTE and WiFi calling, on an AOSP ROM!!  From a modder's perspective, T-Mobile wins hands down when it comes to custom roms because CDMA just does not play nice often.  But, I was surprised awhile back when a co-worker on a Galaxy S3 wasn't running KitKat, but rather Jellybean.  I told him to update his phone and I was baffled.  I had a GS3 active on my plan at the time and it was running KK.  I will say Sprint/AT&T often get OTAs out first for non-nexus devices, though.

All I know is if I used my Nexus 5x on T-Mobile, I'd have access to VoLTE and WiFi calling, on an AOSP ROM!!  From a modder's perspective, T-Mobile wins hands down when it comes to custom roms because CDMA just does not play nice often.  But, I was surprised awhile back when a co-worker on a Galaxy S3 wasn't running KitKat, but rather Jellybean.  I told him to update his phone and I was baffled.  I had a GS3 active on my plan at the time and it was running KK.  I will say Sprint/AT&T often get OTAs out first for non-nexus devices, though.

Even on Nexus devices Tmobile lags behind Sprint alot of the times.
  • Like 1

All I know is if I used my Nexus 5x on T-Mobile, I'd have access to VoLTE and WiFi calling, on an AOSP ROM!! From a modder's perspective, T-Mobile wins hands down when it comes to custom roms because CDMA just does not play nice often. But, I was surprised awhile back when a co-worker on a Galaxy S3 wasn't running KitKat, but rather Jellybean. I told him to update his phone and I was baffled. I had a GS3 active on my plan at the time and it was running KK. I will say Sprint/AT&T often get OTAs out first for non-nexus devices, though.

Even on Nexus devices, T-Mobile could do better. That's a point made in the Reddit thread in question. That said, those updates will come faster than the other Android phones.

Even on Nexus devices, T-Mobile could do better. That's a point made in the Reddit thread in question. That said, those updates will come faster than the other Android phones.

I almost forgot, for whatever reason, T-Mobile's VVM is the only one that works on the native voicemail app in Marshmallow.  But I agree, them sending out dedicated OTAs for T-Mobile-based Nexus phones is just dumb.

T-Mobile -2.2% as it pledges $200 for each Sprint line that switches

http://www.seekingalpha.com/news/2951966

They're desperate to try to kill off Sprint at this point. No doubt about it.

They're wanting Sprint to bleed before they get their network rolling in NGN conversion.  It's a good time for them to start it too, because Tmo will start slowing down because they're at their maximum potential already while Sprint has an extra 120Mhz to rollout, nationwide.

• Like 1

Sounds like they saw more people going to Sprint due to the half off promo and wanted to take a few back from Sprint. TBH if you are on a family plan with 5 or 6 people this could really add up especially if they pay etfs and stuff.

Meanwhile Verizon and AT&T will continue to give pretty much no fucks about the  #3 and #4 carriers and continue to post record numbers.

• Like 4

So uncle Legere is giving 200 dollars on top of the 650 to switch to Sprint. Now we are having a nice race to the bottom.

So porting ratios stay artificially high.

The reality is that T-Mobile should be slowing their spectrum runway but instead they're catapulting themselves down it. Compare them to Verizon or AT&T in that regard. Sprint could do better here as well but at least they're raising prices. Granted they aren't where I would like them to be but it's moving in the right direction.

So up to $850 per line that switches. Geeze. My extra line with T-Mobile is very similar to my Sprint line. There wouldn't be a real reason for my to port out of Sprint. Seems desperate instead of letting your network do the talking for you.

I had a thought though, with the free music and video is it really "free" or is this just T-Mobiles way of managing there network because they know the influx of customers and the current network does not mix?

So up to $850 per line that switches. Geeze. My extra line with T-Mobile is very similar to my Sprint line. There wouldn't be a real reason for my to port out of Sprint. Seems desperate instead of letting your network do the talking for you.

I had a thought though, with the free music and video is it really "free" or is this just T-Mobiles way of managing there network because they know the influx of customers and the current network does not mix?

T-Mobile is still more expensive than Sprint in regards to those on the old ED1500.  Until subsidy dies, those on the legacy plans will always have the best value in wireless.  Still, it is tempting, though.

• Like 1

Data speeds absolutely matter.

1. The higher the speed, the more the capacity. If a bunch of people flood to your cell you're more likely to have the 5-12 Mbps speeds you desire.

I concur -- to an extent.  But there is at least one hole in the data speeds theory:  usage.

I think that I have offered this or a similar analogy previously.  A two lane highway with little traffic moving at 65 mph can seem a lot faster than an eight lane freeway with rush hour traffic moving at 30 mph.  But which one actually is more functional, which one actually is doing more work?

Constantly seeking out the fastest wireless network data speeds is like playing "Whac-A-Mole."  If many gravitate to that so called fastest network, then it soon will no longer be the fastest network.  Thus, move on to the next network that previously got unloaded and became the fastest.  The cycle perpetuates itself.

AJ

• Like 2

Why would you need additional low band? If the goal is to densify the network, adding low band is only part of puzzle.

Why would you need additional low band? If the goal is to densify the network, adding low band is only part of puzzle.

in building penetration for situations where placing a tower is not feasible. No matter which way you look at it the more customers they bring in the more will be on that small slice of low band spectrum. They can't put towers on every street corner. Densifying will only do so much.