T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Everyone on Magenta can speed test all day as far as I care, their corporate leaders brag about their results on their Twitters and it has a zero rating on their network. Go for it!

I just don't see how any of that translates to real world usage.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I can speed test on an inactive sim, even. I used over a gig the other day testing their performance in some areas. Of course, I got 90mbps in some tests, which easily account for over 100mb per test.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.498766,-112.3328413,15z  at Valley Golf Center.

It serves an area about 1.5 mile radius of it.  Nearest towers are over 2 miles from it.  Still 3G.  No NV.  Virtually unusable data 3/4 mile from the tower.

What's crazy is that BOTH sites by that tower have carrier aggregation enabled. I can share with you that it is scheduled to be upgraded most likely early next year.

Interesting video:

I can personally say that I have experienced MASSIVE speed swings with different servers on Ookla myself.

Well duh (not to you). Everyone who uses Ookla knows there's that pesky server or two that never gives good results. And for some there's the server that gives good pings but crap speeds, and good speeds but horrible pings. Ookla's app is incredibly unreliable and the amount of time it takes them for bug fixes is obscene. It rarely works on WP, it's buggy on Android and the servers still hold it back on iOS. 

Today's Magenda: "Oh it's never our carrier, you all are just speedtesting with the wrong sever, that's it". 

If it were AT&T, Sprint or in some cases Verizon it would obviously be clear cut, proven congestion.

Oh, and of course 5 bars and I'm glad SignalCheck wasn't open which probably would have revealed a -39 to -49 dBm signal and in the app a full SNR. 

• Like 3

When magenta stops working, I'll switch again. I don't have loyalty to a carrier anymore.

It's a lot like jobs nowadays. Companies aren't loyal to employees, so it's reciprocated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When magenta stops working, I'll switch again. I don't have loyalty to a carrier anymore.

I don't blame you. It's not really possible to pick any one carrier that will work for everything or everywhere. That's why the alternative to carrier flopping is having at least 2 carriers to begin with. 

Now if Milan is reading this and wants two answer, I'll sit back and listen. Doesn't Ookla automatically pick the server that gives the best results? Even if you hit the auto-select within settings, isn't that Ookla automatically finding the server with the best results?

If that's the case, then why do we need to manually select? If it isn't... maybe Ookla should do better with their app? If that's the case...then why do we cite Ookla so much? 

• Like 2

Now if Milan is reading this and wants two answer, I'll sit back and listen. Doesn't Ookla automatically pick the server that gives the best results? Even if you hit the auto-select within settings, isn't that Ookla automatically finding the server with the best results?

If that's the case, then why do we need to manually select? If it isn't... maybe Ookla should do better with their app? If that's the case...then why do we cite Ookla so much?

I'm pretty sure Ookla picks a server primarily based on ping, but other factors such as server load should play in to selection as well.

I have to manually select. Ookla almost never gives me the server with the best results.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Which for them all translates to: My carrier-related political beliefs won't allow me to use Sprint (or sometimes AT&T/Verizon), so I must stay on T-mobile no matter how inferior the service is and use anecdotal evidence, childish excuses, and every good experience I can find to justify it.

Edited by cortney

Well, it is official. I've become a Magentan!!! Yay for John Legere, praise him!!!

Alright, not quite that, but I do have to give T-Mobile alot of credit right now. They have done quite great at giving my mother the "Sero" of T-Mobile plans, along with $150 off of the normal rate for the LG V10. The plan is unlimited everything, LTE data unlimited for $45 monthly, plus $18.75 monthly for the device. So, just under $70 monthly between the cost of the service and the device. A really amazing deal, and for that I definitely am glad T-Mobile is honoring my mother's loyalty to their company.

For me, I'll get to borrow her device when she's not using it, so I'll be fine with that until the Nvidia Tablet X1 is available for portable at home usage when I just want to lay down. Sitting up at the computer online lately is quite painful for me and I miss having a smaller device I can go online with laying down. Much more comfortable for me that way.

Sprint should focus on the network and target att and Verizon Wireless customers. These magentans hipsters are delusional. Legere is raising prices across the board and they call the company transparent. Just because the Ceo drops a few F bombs Tmobile is different from the others and don't care about shareholders.... Yeah right.

• Like 1

Nobody cares how you spend your money, but stop trying to paint the pink carrier as the greatest thing.

Sprint should focus on the network and target att and Verizon Wireless customers. These magentans hipsters are delusional. Legere is raising prices across the board and they call the company transparent. Just because the Ceo drops a few F bombs Tmobile is different from the others and don't care about shareholders.... Yeah right.

My reference about T-Mobile on the first part of my post was just joking. I'm definitely not painting them as the greatest thing, and many of my past posts definitely show that. Though I am grateful to their employees for being so helpful in my mother's case.

My reference about T-Mobile on the first part of my post was just joking. I'm definitely not painting them as the greatest thing, and many of my past posts definitely show that. Though I am grateful to their employees for being so helpful in my mother's case.

I wasn't making reference to you my apology, but to this customer on the reddit. I was making a comment on my mind about how delusional these people are.

• Like 1

I wasn't making reference to you my apology, but to this customer on the reddit. I was making a comment on my mind about how delusional these people are.

Understandable. There are some really serious cases of people taking their love of T-Mobile too far, the case being mentioned here lately being one of them. I look at it jokingly, but I definitely can see where this gets serious when people like this and others use their love to seriously attack other carriers, often in very unfair ways. Then there are those who just do stupid things with their choice of carriers, making ridiculous claims for their reasoning. As long as it remains that way, it'll be fun to joke about. Going past that, well it is good S4GRU is around for us to discuss defenses to, such as unfair comments posted on sites like Fierce, etc., and if/how to respond.

• Like 1

Well, it is official. I've become a Magentan!!! Yay for John Legere, praise him!!!

Too Late.

Banned.png

TS

• Like 4

I'd visit Banlandia only if I could have my own private villa, swimming pool, Maybach staffed with 24/7 chauffeur service, and John Legere as my tour guide.

Milan and Fabian operate the boat that takes people there. We make sure they're both well fed and well compensated. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 10

I agree - All the Sprint vs T-Mobile nonsense does is leave Verizon and AT&T laughing their butts off. It's dumb. They are an unstoppable force and the only way they'll wake up if it they choose to pull their heads out from behind and start accepting reality. So long as they're nestled in the middle of cities as most are, it isn't happening because then comes the apologetic and excuse complex.

And I agree some more. They are targeting an audience and are winning. They are a for-profit company and the idiotic belief that they care about customers any more than Sprint, Verizon or AT&T is tiring. They are not for morals, they are not for customers or "pain points". They are for the same thing their competitors are for: money.  

• Like 4

I think what T-Mobile is now charging for their unlimited plan is excessive, though the rate itself would be fine for carriers like Verizon and AT&T's level of service. If T-Mobile manages to get 10x10 of 600mhz spectrum, implements it very quickly, along with convincing manufacturers to work fast pace on implementing it in their devices they sell through T-Mobile, then that would make a strong case for $95 monthly being a justifiable price point. An extra 20mhz of spectrum is what T-Mobile desperately needs in so many places, which even their 10mhz of 700mhz spectrum isn't even enough of a bonus in areas it is in, to make that rate rasonable.

With Sprint only charging $70 monthly for unlimited, with 5x5 low band spectrum in most places they serve, more than T-Mobile's got areas of low band in, along with Sprint having 10x10 PCS and lots of band 41 that will rival 20x20 spectrum in many areas, Sprint is in a much better position to be charging more than they are, and certainly more than T-Mobile. Right now, what I think T-Mobile's unlimited service to be worth, is $60 monthly in their mid spectrum areas, and maybe $75 monthly in their best spectrum areas. Sprint could even justify a $5 rate hike now, then after NGN is up in many areas, it could easily be seen as a value at that rate, going up to $90-$95 monthly. Although, I really don't see a single line of service, even at unlimited, being worth more than that, unless its got a load of tethering, or even unlimited tethering at that, which could be worthy of $150 monthly or more.

Anyways, the ignorant "love" for a carrier, especially driven by a company whose executives seem to thrive on that kind of public attention, is really bizarre, and cultish even. I'm thinking the point in some ways too may not only be about money to them, but just to have people with them any way they can, and to continue to love them. While I'm glad for the deal they are giving my mother, I am surprised by it, but can only figure they are out to keep their customer numbers in almost any way possible. They seem to really not want to lose customers. For some people, that is a big reason for them to love a company. Just the image of a company caring has such a big impact on people nowadays, which Ithink is due to so many years before the internet age where people could voice complaints online. So, because of that not being possible back then, companies took advantage so much of their customers, that it really broke people down towards them. Now that they have a choice to be heard with their voice, whatever company caters to them the most, is the winner.

From then on, those companies who do can go back to screwing their customers, only if they've got them so deep they can't see beyond the crap. In T-Mobile's case, they've won at that big time! 

Well well... Look what I just found. It's starting to echo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3v3d1y/speed_test_in_san_antonio_very_poor/

Some people think grass is greener on the other side. That's what marketing does to you. ????

Sent from my Nexus 5X

20-30 mbps with Sprint and he still switches?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

There they go with the what phone are you using and have you tested in different areas blah blah. It's almost like they are trying to find an excuse for it. Don't see why he switched but he is a good example of how good T-Mobiles marketing is. I'm sure he wants to go to back to Sprint but Probably did that whole trade in and stuff so he's pretty much stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

T-Mobile changed their incoming LEC to one that charges double or more for calls and shut down their free SIP service. Gotta pay for the network anyway they can...

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3v4p37/tmobile_traffic_pumping_costing_callers_of/

Edit: Looks like it is a new account, so probably good to be a little cautious with the truthfulness until he can provide a source.