T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Update: bagel was not toasted :(

S…H…I…T…Should've Had It Toasted.

AJ

• Like 7

I'm looking between Verizon and AT&T. I have to see who covers here better. That said, AT&T has the new shiny here so I guess I'll have to try that with a GoPhone SIM and see what their coverage is like. 

If you have a spare GSM phone, I'd do that. I don't know why everyone is so confident in Verizon and appalled by AT&T... it really does depend not just by the market but often by town. My only piece of advice is don't choose service based on LTE prevalence, because unless VZW's LTE is actually good and not too sparse, you're just wasting your money/time. 

That's the issue I have with T-Mobile -- excuses and then a deal breaker. I can't even bother because I have to make more excuses after I try to get over having inadequate 2G/no service that 3 carriers do have in numerous areas, much for over a decade ffs. No thanks!

I am sitting in a public park. I have the option of Xfinity, Bright House, Optimum, Time Warner & Cox for WiFi. It seems like if a location like this would also have a Sprint Wi-Fi access point or Micro-cell Station that would be great.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Edited by techfranz

I am sitting in a public park. I have the option of Xfinity, Bright House, Optimum, Time Warner & Cox for WiFi. It seems like if a location like this would also have a Sprint Wi-Fi access point or Micro-cell Station that would be great.

What town has that many internet service providers?
  • Like 1

What town has that many internet service providers?

Just Xfinity here, but I believe it is an account authentication page to allow subscribers to use the "free Wi-Fi". I guess all the other companies are affiliated with the WiFi hotspot system.

Just thinking...if Comcast partnered with Sprint in a venture like this there could be a Micro-cell wherever there is Cable Internet.

• Like 1

If im not mistaken, some of those providers share the same wifi base station with different SSID's for their respective customers.

Yup the primary provider has their SSID for me TWCWiFi and another CableWiFi for people with other providers like Xfinity (Comcast), Bright House to connect to.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yup the primary provider has their SSID for me TWCWiFi and another CableWiFi for people with other providers like Xfinity (Comcast), Bright House to connect to.

Yeah, TWCWiFi shows up here, too.

• Like 1

Just Xfinity here, but I believe it is an account authentication page to allow subscribers to use the "free Wi-Fi". I guess all the other companies are affiliated with the WiFi hotspot system.

Just thinking...if Comcast partnered with Sprint in a venture like this there could be a Micro-cell wherever there is Cable Internet.

Those WiFi access points are usually attached and supported by the cable companies wire. So it is only on the wire. Sprint would have to use a street light to do that or a power line if the city doesn't mind the wireing being out in the open. They'll likely use streetlights because they can hide the wiring inside.

• Like 1

Yeah, TWCWiFi shows up here, too.

Cool. In Los Angeles my area they have them almost on every major street. I usually pull 35 down and 5 up. They help me save on my AT&T GoPhone data cap.

Made you and everyone else interested a video of the small cell/DAS node! Hope everyone likes it

Nice man, thanks!

Interesting though, that brown box is very similar to the ones I see all over midtown Manhattan, always assumed they were Verizon, not T-Mobile. Will have to zoom up on one when a cop isn't looking.

• Like 1

Nice man, thanks!

Interesting though, that brown box is very similar to the ones I see all over midtown Manhattan, always assumed they were Verizon, not T-Mobile. Will have to zoom up on one when a cop isn't looking.

The silver boxes are supposedly VZW's from what I heard but honestly not sure at all, they're all over the joint!

The silver boxes are supposedly VZW's from what I heard but honestly not sure at all, they're all over the joint!

Yeah man, every other traffic light here has them. Funny enough, you don't see them in Queens (where I live), guess it's not that important.

They are Verizon and they're on all the main corridor roads in Brooklyn. The only place you won't find them in Brooklyn is out in Mill Basin where I used to live. You can see them in

. The person speaking identifies them as ODAS or Outdoor Distributed Antenna Systems. Though they do also have actual small cells too.

Made you and everyone else interested a video of the small cell/DAS node! Hope everyone likes it

Great Video.....Didn't know that they mount Macro Sites on two story buildings in the U.S.!

With such major Macro Sites, it seems like there wouldn't need to be micro-sites so close.

Also saw the electric meter for the electric bill and I suppose somebody is tracking the data usage as well.

Edited by techfranz

Great Video.....Didn't know that they mount Macro Sites on two story buildings in the U.S.!

With such major Macro Sites, it seems like there wouldn't need to be micro-sites so close.

Also saw the electric meter for the electric bill and I suppose somebody is tracking the data usage as well.

It's pretty much common in NY and NJ to find all carrier sites mounted on top of buildings. There is a Sprint and T-Mobile co-located site right on top of a Starbucks next to my wife's office, which is providing coverage for all the nearby buildings. 

• Like 1

It's pretty much common in NY and NJ to find all carrier sites mounted on top of buildings. There is a Sprint and T-Mobile co-located site right on top of a Starbucks next to my wife's office, which is providing coverage for all the nearby buildings.

Around here it more like just commercial buildings, usually multi-story office buildings and water towers as well as the traditional cell towers. I just wonder what it is like to live under an Antenna Array like that? Maybe the fluorescent lights keep glowing even after they turn them off[emoji4].

Anyway, in the Verizon Video they certainly have a lot of equipment deployed and to keep updated and Maintained. Nice cabling jobs too!

So lets say there are 50,000 Micro-cell Sites. When 5G comes out how do they get updated, or do they all all come down and 5G units go up?

Edited by techfranz

So lets say there are 50,000 Micro-cell Sites. When 5G comes out how do they get updated, or do they all all come down and 5G units go up?

If 5G is what it keeps sounding like, it sounds like we're gonna have to replace everything with crazy high frequency (24-60GHz) and put up a LOT of DASes/small cells all over the joint.

If 5G is what it keeps sounding like, it sounds like we're gonna have to replace everything with crazy high frequency (24-60GHz) and put up a LOT of DASes/small cells all over the joint.

It will totally bankrupt the smaller players like Sprint and T-Mobile. They are all the way up to their eyelids with debt and they are not making any money.

It will totally bankrupt the smaller players like Sprint and T-Mobile. They are all the way up to their eyelids with debt and they are not making any money.

I don't think so, not in the urban areas at least.

If Sprint is going to deploy and use all of their 2.5ghz using small cells and such, they should be in a great position for future growth.

If Sprint is going to deploy and use all of their 2.5ghz using small cells and such, they should be in a great position for future growth.

I agree, at one point they stated the end goal 2.5 was to deploy 6 carriers in every market using 3CA i think they can.... talk about capacity, after you consider the plan to add 70K small cells and over 1K macro sites I think they will have capacity for some time (unlimited data or not)  realistically they will need to tackle people trying to stream 4K on their phones (pointless as is full 1080p) but other than that.... 

5G will include air interface changes, so there is a lot of expensive transition to it. I don't know if the carriers will jump to it.

5G will include air interface changes, so there is a lot of expensive transition to it. I don't know if the carriers will jump to it.

I agree. I think the carriers will just keep upgrading to the latest LTE releases.

Sent from my Nexus 6