T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2740256-oppenheimer-comcast-may-be-most-likely-buyer-for-t-mobile

And here we go... could be the s*** hitting the fan because I can't see Comcast being comfortable with anything Uncarrier. Their strategy with T-Mobile would be "bundle bundle bundle." 

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2740256-oppenheimer-comcast-may-be-most-likely-buyer-for-t-mobile

And here we go... could be the s*** hitting the fan because I can't see Comcast being comfortable with anything Uncarrier. Their strategy with T-Mobile would be "bundle bundle bundle."

Maybe John Legere could work for Comcast in the retentions department...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I hope that Charter & Sprint don't end up as the last two on the dance floor. I hate Charter with the fire of a thousand suns ... Even if I get 100Mbps internet for $50/mo.

• Like 1

I agree, at one point they stated the end goal 2.5 was to deploy 6 carriers in every market using 3CA i think they can.... talk about capacity, after you consider the plan to add 70K small cells and over 1K macro sites I think they will have capacity for some time (unlimited data or not)  realistically they will need to tackle people trying to stream 4K on their phones (pointless as is full 1080p) but other than that.... 

It's impossible to stream actual 4K content because the screens themselves won't be able to display it. Perhaps maybe 2 years from now, but not today.

It's ludicrous to think that we need 4K screens on our phones though. 

• Like 1

I wonder if they could spare a few Macro Sites in Lancaster County....

We have some pretty big Coverage Gaps...and the other carriers have towers...

attachicon.gifLeola_Solanco_Sprint_small.gif

https://network.sprint.com/search/17517/

I was out there two years ago, and the network was "usable", my wife was streaming Pandora on her phone while we were driving out to go fruit picking.

We stayed in Reading, and I actually had WiMAX coverage there.

It's impossible to stream actual 4K content because the screens themselves won't be able to display it. Perhaps maybe 2 years from now, but not today.

It's ludicrous to think that we need 4K screens on our phones though.

I agree but 4k YouTube streams to phones will be a problem in the not to distant future Samsung seems to love adding pixel density... Only a matter of time before 4k is pointlessly on a smartphone and some people will feel the absolute need to stream 4k on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out there two years ago, and the network was "usable", my wife was streaming Pandora on her phone while we were driving out to go fruit picking.

We stayed in Reading, and I actually had WiMAX coverage there.

The majority of Agricultural, Service and Manufacturing Businesses around here were with Nextel. Very few of them stayed with Sprint. We definitely have OK coverage around here, just not very dense, 3G Data, and the occasional unclear or dropped call. I like traveling through the Reading Area or the Lancaster City Area because they have much more LTE coverage. I have seen 800, 1900 and 2.5 LTE frequencies.

• Like 1

The majority of Agricultural, Service and Manufacturing Businesses around here were with Nextel. Very few of them stayed with Sprint. We definitely have OK coverage around here, just not very dense, 3G Data, and the occasional unclear or dropped call. I like traveling through the Reading Area or the Lancaster City Area because they have much more LTE coverage. I have seen 800, 1900 and 2.5 LTE frequencies.

Interesting, I'm assuming 1x800 is enabled everywhere there.

Actually no, which I have a hard time understanding.Since this was a big Nextel Area it would make sense that Sprint would switch to 800mhz. However, there have been  1900mhz towers in the area for a long time too. It appears like what happened is basically the Nextel Antennas were removed completely and then the 1900mhz towers were upgraded to eHrpd.

So we are in a rural area with only a thin layer of 1900mhz coverage.

No idea why we are not switched to 100% 800mhz coverage.

I should say however that we do have the Occaisonal 800mhz sightings and some of the Rural Towns have 1900mhz LTE.

Presently as promising as 1x800 is, it is much weaker than the 1900mhz signal in this area (which is not very strong either.)

Edited by techfranz
  • Like 1

Actually no, which I have a hard time understanding.Since this was a big Nextel Area it would make sense that Sprint would switch to 800mhz. However, there have been  1900mhz towers in the area for a long time too. It appears like what happened is basically the Nextel Antennas were removed completely and then the 1900mhz towers were upgraded to eHrpd.

So we are in a rural area with only a thin layer of 1900mhz coverage.

No idea why we are not switched to 100% 800mhz coverage.

I should say however that we do have the Occaisonal 800mhz sightings and some of the Rural Towns have 1900mhz LTE.

Presently as promising as 1x800 is, it is much weaker than the 1900mhz signal in this area (which is not very strong either.)

Keep in mind that the old Nextel gear is absolutely trash for deploying wideband 1x operations so it had to go either way. On top of this, 800MHz is only used as a secondary frequency for coverage (the iPhone in field test mode even lists it as secondary). If the spacing is good enough for PCS, there's very little reason to do 800MHz unless there are known problems around the area. As for 800MHz having a weaker signal than weak PCS, that's because it isn't properly optimized yet. Could take a year to see that happen.

Hope this post answers questions!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the old Nextel gear is absolutely trash for deploying wideband 1x operations so it had to go either way. On top of this, 800MHz is only used as a secondary frequency for coverage (the iPhone in field test mode even lists it as secondary). If the spacing is good enough for PCS, there's very little reason to do 800MHz unless there are known problems around the area. As for 800MHz having a weaker signal than weak PCS, that's because it isn't properly optimized yet. Could take a year to see that happen.

Hope this post answers questions!

Great answer. Any idea why 800 couldn't be Primary? Or is that just because the investment in 1900mhz is already made, or that 1900 is somehow technologically superior?

Why does Verizon want 700mhz so bad then?

Would love more indoor coverage and some 800 bounce....

Or is it all about Carrier Aggregation....the more frequencies the better.

I am mobile, so I am not going to edit down a quote of the previous post.  But Secondary 800 MHz has nothing to do with being "secondary." It is just an antiquated term for band class 10 SMR 800 MHz to distinguish it from band class 0 Cellular 850 MHz, which has also been known as Cellular 800 MHz.

The iPhone Field Test is old and moldy, by the way.  Apple does not want you to use it and has not appropriately updated it in years.

AJ

• Like 6

Great answer. Any idea why 800 couldn't be Primary? Or is that just because the investment in 1900mhz is already made, or that 1900 is somehow technologically superior?

Why does Verizon want 700mhz so bad then?

Would love more indoor coverage and some 800 bounce....

Or is it all about Carrier Aggregation....the more frequencies the better.

IIRC, there's only 16MHz worth of SMR nationwide. 5x5 is B26's carrier, so that's 10MHz gone, leaving only 6. 6MHz isn't enough to support 1x and EVDO, so it's only used for 1x. 1900 is the primary because there's enough to go around for both 1x and EVDO in high capacity.

VZW has 20MHz (for the most part) of 700MHz, so that's the primary cause coverage and it has the capacity to be a primary.

• Like 1

I need to re-read the articles explaining the Bands and Frequency, but I suppose the scarcity of SMR 800 is partly do to the mandated rebanding of the 800 spectrum for Public Safety Radios, etc....?

http://s4gru.com/ind...band-operation/

http://s4gru.com/ind...-sids-revealed

I am mobile, so I am not going to edit down a quote of the previous post.  But Secondary 800 MHz has nothing to do with being "secondary." It is just an antiquated term for band class 10 SMR 800 MHz to distinguish it from band class 0 Cellular 850 MHz, which has also been known as Cellular 800 MHz.

The iPhone Field Test is old and moldy, by the way.  Apple does not want you to use it and has not appropriately updated it in years.

AJ

It doesn't even size properly. At least it isn't blocked like what VZW does to engineering mode on Samsung phones. "XLTE is there, trust us."  :td:

• Like 1

Going back on topic, a lot of people are freaking out about the recent rumors about a Comcast/Charter merger with T-Mo. Lots of people threatening to leave in such a situation, I wonder what DT plans to do. Personally, a Dish merger makes most sense even though Dish sucks, only because Dish holds AWS that T-Mo could use. That PCS H block is never gonna be used, though.

Going back on topic, a lot of people are freaking out about the recent rumors about a Comcast/Charter merger with T-Mo. Lots of people threatening to leave in such a situation, I wonder what DT plans to do. Personally, a Dish merger makes most sense even though Dish sucks, only because Dish holds AWS that T-Mo could use. That PCS H block is never gonna be used, though.

Honestly it would make the most sense as an LTE 5x5 block for carrier aggregation. There's some midwest markets that could use even that extra sliver of spectrum. 

Part of me wishes T-Mobile still had better coverage and B12 in my area, it's still the best carrier for putting unlocked GSM phones on, and probably will be until Verizon and Sprint start pushing the edge with ubiquitous VoLTE. Not to mention VoLTE support built into the core of Android along with VoWiFi. 

• Like 3

It's more likely DT will go with COMCAST since its looking to unload not partner. Dish won't agree unless it's running the carrier although it needs to find a carrier to put its spectrum to use.

In the end what it comes down to is anyone who buys it will put its staff in place and legere & company are toast!

PS. The reason why talks stalled with Dish was directly due to the question of management in charge.

• Like 1

PS. The reason why talks stalled with Dish was directly due to the question of management in charge.

The fact that DT thought that Dish's stock was extremely over valued, and that they wanted more cash also contributed to stalling the talks.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

The fact that DT thought that Dish's stock was extremely over valued, and that they wanted more cash also contributed to stalling the talks.

The more reason COMCAST is the choice for DT.

• Again any transaction with the approval of DT for what its asking for will be the dismissal and replacement of the current ceo and management at tmobileus. The new owners, acquisitioners, will expect nothing less.

Truth!

The more reason COMCAST is the choice for DT.

• Again any transaction with the approval of DT for what its asking for will be the dismissal and replacement of the current ceo and management at tmobileus. The new owners, acquisitioners, will expect nothing less.

Truth!

Yup your right. If Comcast does buy them; it'd be extremely sad to see them kill the competition in the industry through T-Mobile. T-Mobile is the current disrupter in the industry. Comcast would never let T-Mobile keep doing free, and innovative things for customers. If it happens I'm moving my line to AT&T immediately.

• Like 3

The reason why I left T Mobile back in 2011 was because of the whole AT&T situation and them getting bought out. It didn't happen but I became a sprint customer do to that. I've never experienced Comcast myself, are they that bad?
  • Like 3