T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

But wasnt the power restrictions limited to just the uplink and not on the downlink? I believe dish was planning to convert the neighboring S-band to supplemental downlink but I guess that was only if they obtained the h block. I thought the real reason for sprint not bidding was that dish set the high reserve price at $1.56 billion.

No, it's downlink power restriction. PCS H downlink sits directly adjacent to AWS-4 uplink.

2cgh5dv.png

50,000 micocells? That seems abnormally high, wonder where they are deployed. 

Yeah, 50,000 micocells?  That is abnormally high.  I made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

AJ

• Like 4

50,000 micocells? That seems abnormally high, wonder where they are deployed. 

They're here in NYC. A lot of them are former MetroPCS small cells. How do I know this? I live in the surburbs with a nice T-Mo macro a block away and about 3 small cells in walking distance... Population down here may be 300 people. Definitely not necessary for capacity!

They're here in NYC. A lot of them are former MetroPCS small cells. How do I know this? I live in the surburbs with a nice T-Mo macro a block away and about 3 small cells in walking distance... Population down here may be 300 people. Definitely not necessary for capacity!

They're DAS nodes, not small cells.

Was ist das? Sorry couldn't resist. So what is the difference between DAS and a Small Cell? Also is zoning required to mount something like this on a Light Pole or Sidewalk location?

Edited by techfranz

Do u still think sprint should have bid on the pcs h block sliver of spectrum? I think a single 5x5 block is not enough to fill the masses especially given how long it is going to take to unwind CDMA.

I just hate the fact that dish bought it and is just sitting on the spectrum with no movement on turning that spectrum into a band class and using it.

No, the PCS-H has power restrictions so the Dish is really the only ones that should have bid. Sprint haas had plenty of opportunities to acquire midband spectrum. The Nextwave bankruptcy auctions, the Cablecos 10x10MHz winning bid of AWS spectrum, acquiring Metro/Leap. They took advantage of none of them. They instead bought Clear. They never should yielded their BRS spectrum to Clear. They should have just leased it to them instead for $1/year with the lease terminated if Clear was acquired. 60MHz of BRS is equivalent to 36x36MHz FDD. Any 2.5GHz spectrum should be used for hotspot duty only. It should not be used as your bread and butter frequency. 8T8R antennas are not cheap.

But wait!  T-Mobile's EoY map is totally realistic by end of year 2015.  Funny there's still an enormous amount of Edge all around, even in suburban areas.  I guess "converting all edge sites to LTE by mid year" was also off a bit, hmm.

No, those are rural areas. T-Mobile subsequently only covers the highways there. There's no such thing as suburbs.  ;)

Therefore, it is perfectly logical that T-Mobile continually disregards these areas, as no one lives there, in the rural, but farmers and cows. 

Intermediate highway LTE and EDGE coverage is very quality UnService. I like the deviation in my voice quality; it spices up my phone conversations in between the dropped calls.

--

I think that makes about as much sense as their (continually UnFulfilled) promises.   :lol:

Nicki Palmer, Verizon's Chief Network Officer, takes a nice shot at T-Mobile and Legere here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verizon has definitely been more vocal about being the best lately.

Where is this? I'm curious to see them.

Was ist das? Sorry couldn't resist. So what is the difference between DAS and a Small Cell? Also is zoning required to mount something like this on a Light Pole or Sidewalk location?

DAS = Distributed Antenna System, which is basically cabling up antennas and running them to a base station or group of base stations. This lets you cable up buildings with multiple floors, public venues, etc.

Small Cells are basically tiny cell sites which are limited in power, distance, and number of simultaneous users. They are perfect for filling in the tiny coverage gaps between the larger macro sites.

Nicki Palmer, Verizon's Chief Network Officer, takes a nice shot at T-Mobile and Legere here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes sir that's definitely directed to that whiny sniffling little weasel! Wwwaaaaa!!!!

• Like 2

Made you and everyone else interested a video of the small cell/DAS node! Hope everyone likes it

Update: bagel was not toasted :(

Non toasted bagels are just the worst. I sometimes go to Dunkin Donuts and for some reason they have gone from actually toasting the food that you order, to just barely warming it up. They call it toasted, but its hardly toasted. And their coffee is now just a sugar concoction of death. The new swirl flavors are disgusting. 

Also, WHY vertical video </3

• Like 5

Non toasted bagels are just the worst. I sometimes go to Dunkin Donuts and for some reason they have gone from actually toasting the food that you order, to just barely warming it up. They call it toasted, but its hardly toasted. And their coffee is now just a sugar concoction of death. The new swirl flavors are disgusting. 

Also, WHY vertical video </3

Thank God I don't live anywhere near a Dunkin, Deli food for life >>>> Cause cheaper and obviously more fatty with non-kosher bacon!

Cause it's so much easier to hold an iPhone vertically while walking and talking with your other hand full duh!

• Like 1

Thank God I don't live anywhere near a Dunkin, Deli food for life >>>> Cause cheaper and obviously more fatty with non-kosher bacon!

Cause it's so much easier to hold an iPhone vertically while walking and talking with your other hand full duh!

Especially since the iPhone majored in being the best at slipping out of your hand, and not sure if you use a case.

• Like 1

Never wear a case, Zagg InvisibleShield got my back B)

I like Zagg, Skinomi and Armorsuit and the Dual cover is great. Just no impact protection when the phone hits the sidewalk. I like the transparent cases on Amazon, but an Otterbox or Trident case are still tops.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Since there's little to no Sprint where I lived, I thought about switching to T-Mobile with their LTE coverage here. I couldn't pull the trigger on it, and no, it has nothing to do with Magentans being d-bags on the Internet. 

I live in Chester, IL, which if you read what I've wrote, has spotty Sprint coverage at best. Most of it is 1X that falls back onto Verizon (it was Alltel but that went away, RIP Alltel). So, much like Robert himself, I'm in a situation locally where Sprint isn't a good choice. I considered the other non-duopoly carrier. It's 1900 MHz LTE and VoLTE, now that might not be ideal for rural, I get that. Outdoor speeds were really good. Yet there were places at the bottom of hills like our local Walmart where I'd fall back to EDGE indoors. Not that I really care that much about that, I don't. I found the deal breaker going up the road to Sparta. 

Sparta was a place where T-Mobile had roaming with First Cellular of Southern Illinois, a local GSM carrier (and CDMA but that's a long story). That company got bought by Alltel. Alltel was soon bought by Verizon and was divested to ATNI. Alltel continued to operate separately here as opposed to most of the country where it was split by AT&T and Verizon. ATNI continued to operate that domestic roaming. Eventually, ATNI succumbed to market realities and sold the remaining Alltel properties to AT&T. AT&T was likely going to charge their higher extortionary rates. Eventually, that domestic roaming was pulled and Sparta became a no service hole. I go there still and I have family members who go there. That was the deal breaker. 

I'm looking between Verizon and AT&T. I have to see who covers here better. That said, AT&T has the new shiny here so I guess I'll have to try that with a GoPhone SIM and see what their coverage is like. 

• Like 2