T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

The reason why I left T Mobile back in 2011 was because of the whole AT&T situation and them getting bought out. It didn't happen but I became a sprint customer do that. I've never experienced Comcast myself, are they that bad?

Comcast is pure evil. They will take your money and blame you for anything being wrong with your service, probably call you some rude profanity on your bill, and will hang up on you if you call in to cancel your service. Comcast is notorious for being the worst company in the US, probably the world, and arguably, the corporate devil. I would rather move to Alaska with 3 TV channels and 5Mbps internet for $100 a month than do business with them.

• Like 3

Comcrap will kill off unlimited data fast. They're trying to do that on cable lines that are fiber fed, where they have plenty of bandwidth to spare. Why would they leave UDP up when there is money to be made?

That's going to generate a whole lot of anger. The free ride ends. Then the current T-Mobile base will have to pay up.

• Like 2

If T-Mobile goes to Comcast then I think we're doomed. This is probably why AT&T and Verizon have not given into the competition and have instead RAISED prices because they know what's coming down the line... At that point Sprint/Softbank will be our only hope. 

If T-Mobile goes to Comcast then I think we're doomed. This is probably why AT&T and Verizon have not given into the competition and have instead RAISED prices because they know what's coming down the line... At that point Sprint/Softbank will be our only hope.

When did they raise prices. AT&T just added 5GB to their $100 plan to make it 15GB total, before it only had 10GB. Verizon dropped the price of 15GB from $100 to $80, but raised the line access fee to $20 from $15. T-Mobile is making them respond slowly, but they are still making them respond. If Comcast buys T-Mobile I hope Sprint can become the new disrupter to make the big 2 get better.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'd say my promotional plan on VZW right now is better than what I've seen out of them for ages. As much as I knock Legere, he has done me a solid there. Can't complain.

My absolute fear with Comcast is that VZW will see how terrible Comcrap is and raise rates on their own customers.

• Like 1

When did they raise prices. AT&T just added 5GB to their $100 plan to make it 15GB total, before it only had 10GB. Verizon dropped the price of 15GB from $100 to $80, but raised the line access fee to $20 from $15. T-Mobile is making them respond slowly, but they are still making them respond. If Comcast buys T-Mobile I hope Sprint can become the new disrupter to make the big 2 get better.

AT&T added that $15 activation fee that applies to Next and BYOD. Also I think the new plans are a way to force people into paying more for a bigger bucket they don't need, but that's highly subjective. (I personally find the 15 gig $100 plan a great deal for our needs, and am on it)

I'd say my promotional plan on VZW right now is better than what I've seen out of them for ages. As much as I knock Legere, he has done me a solid there. Can't complain.

My absolute fear with Comcast is that VZW will see how terrible Comcrap is and raise rates on their own customers.

Verizon had some pretty good plans, but the larger 12 GB plan for 2 lines for example is $10 more then the old 15 gig plan and is missing 3 gigs. The smaller plans may be ok though. 

• Like 1

AT&T added that $15 activation fee that applies to Next and BYOD. Also I think the new plans are a way to force people into paying more for a bigger bucket they don't need, but that's highly subjective. (I personally find the 15 gig $100 plan a great deal for our needs, and am on it)

Verizon had some pretty good plans, but the larger 12 GB plan for 2 lines for example is $10 more then the old 15 gig plan and is missing 3 gigs. The smaller plans may be ok though.

The $15 fee is like T-Mobile's Sim fee. Both are very overpriced, but by you saying raising prices I thought you meant on their rate plans. Not adding ridiculous fees.

The $15 fee is like T-Mobile's Sim fee. Both are very overpriced, but by you saying raising prices I thought you meant on their rate plans. Not adding ridiculous fees.

Nah, the $15 SIM fee is T-Mobile's activation fee. Remember that anytime anyone mentions Sprint's activation fee. Technically, the Uncarrier[emoji769] thing to do would be to ax the SIM fee. Legere raised it instead.

For the record I think Sprint should kill off the activation fee, and then call for T-Mobile to kill the SIM fee.

• Like 1

Verizon had some pretty good plans, but the larger 12 GB plan for 2 lines for example is $10 more then the old 15 gig plan and is missing 3 gigs. The smaller plans may be ok though.

VZW's VolTE rollout is a mess right now around here. No simultaneous Voice and Data without it. No 1xrtt fallback. Dropped calls all around. You have to leave the Advanced Calling turned off.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

VZW's VolTE rollout is a mess right now around here. No simultaneous Voice and Data without it. No 1xrtt fallback. Dropped calls all around. You have to leave the Advanced Calling turned off.

Use a svlte device if you want data and voice without volte turned on.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Nah, the $15 SIM fee is T-Mobile's activation fee. Remember that anytime anyone mentions Sprint's activation fee. Technically, the Uncarrier[emoji769] thing to do would be to ax the SIM fee. Legere raised it instead.

For the record I think Sprint should kill off the activation fee, and then call for T-Mobile to kill the SIM fee.

Yeah I agree. Isn't Sprint's activation fee still $36? Just curious. Also if you upgrade using Jump On Demand they don't charge you the SIM fee and they don't charge tax; unless at the end of the 18 month lease you decide to keep the phone. Then you get charged the remaining balance + sales tax immediately. Unless you return it.

• Like 1

Use a svlte device if you want data and voice without volte turned on.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I don't think any of their 2015 flagships have SV-LTE. The Droid Turbo, iPhones, S6, M9, and I assume the Note 5 don't. Verizon has a huge issue with LTE density in a lot of places, so their VoLTE suffers because of it.

That's cause you can't do SVD on 1x and LTE isn't made to handoff to 1x. Sprint's working on that though, against all odds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3hvic8/comcast_or_charter_will_likely_buy_tmobile/

Here's the reaction from the T-Mobile community. Funny I don't see the usual suspects on HoFo (which has become T-Mobile Circle Jerk) weighing in.

Edit: OK I missed B1geast saying "non-sense speculation." The silver lining in the black cloud would be seeing these people either try to defend Comcast or jump off the ship.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3hvic8/comcast_or_charter_will_likely_buy_tmobile/

Here's the reaction from the T-Mobile community. Funny I don't see the usual suspects on HoFo (which has become T-Mobile Circle Jerk) weighing in.

Edit: OK I missed B1geast saying "non-sense speculation." The silver lining in the black cloud would be seeing these people either try to defend Comcast or jump off the ship.

Such overreactions. I tell ya, most people wouldn't even care. Most people say they'll switch instantly but most won't. Although I do think long-term, T-Mobile would fail if it inherited Comcast's business practices.

Sent from my M8

That's cause you can't do SVD on 1x and LTE isn't made to handoff to 1x. Sprint's working on that though, against all odds.

Sprint is amazing in that it is a first at so many things...

-First at MMS messages...Picture Mail...What was that called?

-First at High Speed Mobile Broadband.

-First deploying Rev-a

-Bought Nextel who invented PTT.

-First real 4G via Wimax.

-First to have VolTE fallback to CDMA.

-Sprint blazes the trail and the other carriers pave the super highway behind them two years later.

Such overreactions. I tell ya, most people wouldn't even care. Most people say they'll switch instantly but most won't. Although I do think long-term, T-Mobile would fail if it inherited Comcast's business practices.

Sent from my M8

Certainly not the second anything is announced, but once that happens it will definitely be on people's minds and the very second changes start happening you can bet they'll go running.

IMO that's a best case scenario. After all, people went running from them when the AT&T buyout attempt was announced.

-First deploying Rev-a

-Sprint blazes the trail and the other carriers pave the super highway behind them two years later.

Compare to T-Mobile.

First to LTE... no, that would be Verizon.

First to UMTS... nope, AT&T got there first.

First to VoLTE... no, MetroPCS who they acquired had VoLTE in America first.

First to 300 MM POPS... no, Verizon and AT&T got there last year.

LTE-LAA... technically, they can't claim that since they're submitting comments about it being allowed to FCC along with Verizon.

Pricing and value innovation? Absolutely. Network wise? I'd say they hit a good note with WiFi to LTE call handoff, but technically, OTT VoIP could handoff from WiFi to LTE, FaceTime did it before among others. It was a lot of work on their part but how many T-Mobile customers were actually using it? If anyone can provide me a figure of how many T-Mobile people use WiFi calling, let me know. Are they more advanced on LTE core network upgrades and 4x2 MIMO? Yeah, but this isn't all things that people notice. I'm not even sure Ericsson markets of theirs have 4x2 MIMO yet. Ericsson AIR? Verizon has a bunch of that running around me now. HSPA+ 42, they won that battle because AT&T decided to focus on LTE instead and skipped past HSPA+ 42. T-Mobile did get AT&T to upgrade to full rate. Verizon just went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and went on with bad call quality until VoLTE came out.

Edit: http://www.p3-group.com/downloads/2/8/0/6/6/US_Public_Benchmark_2015.pdf

Reading over this, with the GS5, the P3 testing people found similar reliability between T-Mobile UMTS and T-Mobile VoLTE. Maybe VoLTE isn't the culprit with T-Mobile's RootMetrics performance.

• Like 3

Definitely depends on the area then. I would happily buy a LTE only device from VZW now. I have no issues with VoLTE 

• Like 1

-First deploying Rev-a

I thought this wasn't possible? Did I miss something?

IIRC, there's only 16MHz worth of SMR nationwide. 5x5 is B26's carrier, so that's 10MHz gone, leaving only 6. 6MHz isn't enough to support 1x and EVDO, so it's only used for 1x. 1900 is the primary because there's enough to go around for both 1x and EVDO in high capacity.

VZW has 20MHz (for the most part) of 700MHz, so that's the primary cause coverage and it has the capacity to be a primary.

If Sprint had access to 16 MHz (8 MHz FDD) of SMR, that would be adequate spectrum for a 5 MHz FDD carrier and two CDMA2000 carriers, probably one CDMA1X and one EV-DO.  To illustrate, 2[4.5 MHz + 1.25 MHz + 1.25 MHz + guard bands] < 16 MHz.  But Sprint is licensed at most 14 MHz (7 MHz FDD) of SMR nationwide, so that means one 5 MHz FDD carrier and one CDMA1X carrier.

AJ

I thought this wasn't possible? Did I miss something?

Somewhere I read that Sprints 1xrtt was superior to Verizon's in that it allowed VolTE handoffs. Verizon just drops the call when you leave LTE. I am trying to find the post. It was either 1xrtt or eHRPD that the Sprint version of VolTE can hand off to. But I guess Sprints HD Voice is not true VolTE either...

• Like 1

http://www.cnet.com/news/metropcs-launches-first-4g-lte-market-and-phone/

I stand corrected. Kudos for remembering correctly sir.

No problem. I remember them wanting to beat Verizon to the punch. I think the 1st market was Las Vegas or Boston.