Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Does anyone know why it's being doing so well lately? It seems like it goes up for a few days then it drops down because someone sold off a bunch of shares in one day. Then it climbs back up again.

This has been the pattern for a few weeks now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know why it's being doing so well lately? It seems like it goes up for a few days then it drops down because someone sold off a bunch of shares in one day. Then it climbs back up again.

This has been the pattern for a few weeks now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think alot has to do with confidence level, Wells Fargo report+ all the new funds acquired by Softbank also Nikesh resigning and Sprint doing well in its turnaround all point to a much brighter future for Sprint.

• Like 1

LTE is a more delicate standard than 1xRTT or EVDO. While Verizon has the best LTE network, there is no way they'll get their LTE network to match their 1x coverage foot by foot by 2019. Eventually? Yes. But not in 3 years. They have a lot of rural and highway gaps to cover in which 3G handoffs from tower to tower perfectly fine but LTE gaps for a brief moment.

Why not? They have the money to just buy more towers and more telephone poles with small cells. To them money is no issue so they can beef up in a small matter of time.

Why not? They have the money to just buy more towers and more telephone poles with small cells. To them money is no issue so they can beef up in a small matter of time.

Not that simple, Verizon has been quietly deploying small cells for many years, and have received massive pushback. 

Just hasn't been in the public eye like Sprint's situation.

Sprint's voice quality already is the best I've tried, though with the possible exception of AT&T which I haven't tried in terms of voice quality. Verizon is really bad VQ, imo, but then again, that could be just my experience on CDMA, not VoLTE. Actually, I had this conversation here some months ago, which was a very informative discussion between myself and those who participated.

Adding to the experiences and thoughts of them between the carriers VQ and the like, I'd imagine whatever issues Verizon may have with it, will be solved by the time CDMA is shut down. I don't think Verizon will be able to have any negative reputation on that by then, as the shift from maximum data speeds to higher overall quality in both data and voice I believe will become more important in the next few years. With more people satisfied with data speeds at around 9mbps-18mbps, it'll be a consistency issue, which I'm sure voice quality consistency will be important, along with keeping dropped calls to a minimum.

One thing surely needs to be minimized with VoLTE as its development progresses, is lessening the rate of dropped calls, which is an issue I've had on VoLTE using T-Mobile.

While VZ is a lot slower in a lot of places, the issue of VZ vs Sprint is and always will be coverage. Where Sprint doesn't have coverage, Verizon most likely will. That's where the premium comes in, people are willing to pay for peace of mind wherever they go. However, this is beginning to change as we've seen with T-Mobile, but their will always be people who put coverage before speed and better pricing. Eventually Verizon can address LTE with the newer standards and band 66 to improve performance, but so long as they're the king of coverage, they have a stronghold on the premium they enforce.

When T-Mobile starts covering square miles instead of POPS come back and talk to me. When they start covering I-10 in the middle of nowhere, West Texas or NM or AZ come and talk to me. When they start covering I-80 in the salt flats of Utah and the sagebrush of Wyoming come and talk to me. Until then Verizon is coverage king.

• Like 6

When they start covering I-10 in the middle of nowhere, West Texas or NM or AZ come and talk to me. When they start covering I-80 in the salt flats of Utah and the sagebrush of Wyoming come and talk to me. Until then Verizon is coverage king.

While I do agree with your overall message, you do realize Verizon has some coverage gaps along I-10 west of Kerrville, TX? Sprint has better coverage on I-10 in Texas than Verizon.

I'm baffled it's taken this long for Sprint to get the 800mhz cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint is not clearing the spectrum... it is public safety and Mexico holding things up. Sprint can't even throw money at the issue. 

• Like 7

Sprint is not clearing the spectrum... it is public safety and Mexico holding things up. Sprint can't even throw money at the issue.

Well on top of that in the markets that they do have B26 it's so beyond unoptimized, just as strong a signal as B25/41 it's terrible.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well on top of that in the markets that they do have B26 it's so beyond unoptimized, just as strong a signal as B25/41 it's terrible.

For some... that is not a blanket statement. I find B26 is generally anywhere from 3 to 10dB stronger than B25. 

• Like 2

Very well optimized in and around my area. No complaints.

In fact been seeing better B26 speeds as B41 is better optimized.

• Like 3

For some... that is not a blanket statement. I find B26 is generally anywhere from 3 to 10dB stronger than B25.

3dbm is nothing. B26 can definitely be optimized a lot more. Verizon B13 is usually around -102 when their AWS dies (-118) and ATT is pretty much always at -102 on B17 when their B2 dies (-118). I travel a lot so I can verify that this experience is consistent pretty much everywhere across ATT & VZs' footprints. I am in Amherst, MA right now and my Sprint iPhone 6S will often drop from B25 straight to 3G skipping B26 all together. That is not good optimization. We just need to face it. Although sprint has done a good job in some markets (eg Houston or SF) there are a lot of markets where sprint could be doing a lot more with B26.

• Like 6

3dbm is nothing. B26 can definitely be optimized a lot more. Verizon B13 is usually around -102 when their AWS dies (-118) and ATT is pretty much always at -102 on B17 when their B2 dies (-118). I travel a lot so I can verify that this experience is consistent pretty much everywhere across ATT & VZs' footprints. I am in Amherst, MA right now and my Sprint iPhone 6S will often drop from B25 straight to 3G skipping B26 all together. That is not good optimization. We just need to face it. Although sprint has done a good job in some markets (eg Houston or SF) there are a lot of markets where sprint could be doing a lot more with B26.

The difference between AWS and 700MHz is also greater than the difference between PCS and 800MHz so one would expect a greater difference in dim on Verizon vs on Sprint. Additionally, VZW is not running 700MHz LTE and CDMA off of the same panel. As a result, the power output is not limited by CDMA like how it is on Sprint. It's easy to lowball and pick on the 3dbm but it's obvious he is using this as a range.

While I do agree with your overall message, you do realize Verizon has some coverage gaps along I-10 west of Kerrville, TX? Sprint has better coverage on I-10 in Texas than Verizon.

I am sure that Verizon has some gaps on I-10. AT&T had a 150 mile gap on I-10. T-Mobile and Sprint only cover the towns and they do a very good job. Nobody but nobody covers more square miles than Verizon. That's why I always carry a spare Verizon CDMA non-data phone in my glove compartment. I wonder what I will have to do when they cut CDMA off in 2019 or 2020. I guess go for the cheapest Verizon MVNO for my spare?

I think a lot of folks are underestimating the effects of adding pop to a limited 5x5 block without other bands to relieve it.

In some cases dropping to 3G is probably better than a completely saturated B26.

• Like 1

I think a lot of folks are underestimating the effects of adding pop to a limited 5x5 block without other bands to relieve it.

In some cases dropping to 3G is probably better than a completely saturated B26.

Yup. In SF B26 may be everywhere such that you rarely see 3G, but trust me you don't want to be on it. It's so saturated that it's unusable, 0.3-0.5 mbps and timeouts. B25 isn't much of an improvement usually. 3G is better in most cases. They really need to increase B41 site density, that's the only solution.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1