Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The difference between AWS and 700MHz is also greater than the difference between PCS and 800MHz so one would expect a greater difference in dim on Verizon vs on Sprint. Additionally, VZW is not running 700MHz LTE and CDMA off of the same panel. As a result, the power output is not limited by CDMA like how it is on Sprint. It's easy to lowball and pick on the 3dbm but it's obvious he is using this as a range.

In addition, VZW and ATT run 10MHz of 700MHz LTE vs Sprint's 5MHz. 5MHz is more susceptible to interference, which limits the useable range.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also a slight note to have.

Verizon and ATT have mostly focused in receive diversity on their sites to improve LTE reception reliability.

This usually entails from adding Rx modules to their Ericsson radios like RRUSA2s or having Alcatel lucent radios have 4 rx antenna ports. The weakest link in the network is always the fact that UEs transmit at far weaker Power compared to the eNB. So having more Rx antennas eNB side helps out in maintaining that connection to the UE.

All you have to do is look at the up link speeds between the sprint 8t8r antennas and clearwire 2t2r to see how more Rx antennas help out.

In comparison, other than mostly Ericsson regions, Sprints PCS and SMR setups are just the basic 2x2.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 2

I think a lot of folks are underestimating the effects of adding pop to a limited 5x5 block without other bands to relieve it.

In some cases dropping to 3G is probably better than a completely saturated B26.

I feel like that excuse has been used to death.

I've been in plenty of 5x5 700mhz areas with AT&T to see the reality of it. They actually pull it off just fine, spanning from more dense towns to rural areas. In the towns where site spacing is pretty good it runs pretty fast. In the rural areas it gets pretty slow but it still is more responsive than the 3G alternative.

In my area Sprint has ok site spacing for PCS in a lot of areas and some areas the spacing is more for low band. In those more sparse areas where I drop LTE (only 1.5 miles from a site mind you) the EVDO is super slow and almost unusable anyway. Would rather have slow LTE than slow EVDO. They can make it work just fine if they implemented it properly.

• Like 2

Also a slight note to have.

Verizon and ATT have mostly focused in receive diversity on their sites to improve LTE reception reliability.

This usually entails from adding Rx modules to their Ericsson radios like RRUSA2s or having Alcatel lucent radios have 4 rx antenna ports. The weakest link in the network is always the fact that UEs transmit at far weaker Power compared to the eNB. So having more Rx antennas eNB side helps out in maintaining that connection to the UE.

All you have to do is look at the up link speeds between the sprint 8t8r antennas and clearwire 2t2r to see how more Rx antennas help out.

In comparison, other than mostly Ericsson regions, Sprints PCS and SMR setups are just the basic 2x2.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

That makes a lot of sense. Are there any current plans to do similar upgrades that AT&T and Verizon to improve b25 and b26 reception? Or is all the focus currently on identifying with b41?

I've been in plenty of 5x5 700mhz areas with AT&T to see the reality of it. They actually pull it off just fine, spanning from more dense towns to rural areas. In the towns where site spacing is pretty good it runs pretty fast. In the rural areas it gets pretty slow but it still is more responsive than the 3G alternative.

In my area Sprint has ok site spacing for PCS in a lot of areas and some areas the spacing is more for low band. In those more sparse areas where I drop LTE (only 1.5 miles from a site mind you) the EVDO is super slow and almost unusable anyway. Would rather have slow LTE than slow EVDO. They can make it work just fine if they implemented it properly.

I dont think its so much an excuse as a reality of the situation. Same goes for B12 for Tmobile.

• Like 1

3dbm is nothing.

That is an ignorant thing to say on at least two counts.  First, 3 dBm is 2 mW.  So, that is something.  But, second, that is not what you actually intend.  You really mean 3 dB, not 3 dBm.  And you still think that 3 dB is "nothing"?  Is the difference between two scoops of ice cream and four scoops of ice cream "nothing"?  Is the difference between $100 and $200 "nothing"?  Is the difference between 60 mph and 120 mph "nothing"?  Those are all 3 dB differences.

AJ

• Like 8

That makes a lot of sense. Are there any current plans to do similar upgrades that AT&T and Verizon to improve b25 and b26 reception? Or is all the focus currently on identifying with b41?

I could be wrong, but I believe it's possible on sites where they have 2 NV 1.0 antennas per sector. Usually this is only seen at high capacity sites currently. They put CDMA on one antenna and LTE on the other. I think it would allow for either 4x4 or 4x2, but I'm not certain. In theory they could go back and add a second set of antennas to every site, but I don't think it's likely any time soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I dont think its so much an excuse as a reality of the situation. Same goes for B12 for Tmobile.

The point is that slow LTE would be better then slow 3G. And if they would start cranking out the distance of B25 and B41 then overloaded B26 wouldn't be much of an issue since B25 would travel almost the same distance and B41 pretty far too. As it has been the last couple years they all seem to just drop off around 1-2 miles which is silly. I'm tired of the excuses regardless of how valid the concern may be, I know that it can be done because i see it done by other carriers regularly. I've also pointed out before, that in order to refarm more spectrum from EVDO and eventually 1x, they're gonna have to tear off the band aid and push B26 out there and fill in the gaps or else nobody is ever gonna get off the 3G network enough to be able to refarm for LTE.

• Like 3

Slow LTE at least for me performs worse than slow 3g. There are also way to many areas where Sprint is only using 10 mhz of pcs and 10mhz of smr in 2016 unless you live in the suburbs thats not much to work with and for them to turn up the power further would make matters worse since even more people would tie up the network. Small cells, finishing 41 on macros, and more spectrum swaps in my opinion is the only way out. If manufacturers were doing more to get 4 antenna devices out faster instead of 6 gigs of ram thats not need in a phone so 4x4 mimo can go live then that would be great also. In all of these areas where Sprint has only b25/26 they can't prioritize one over the other because then one band would become useless while the other would be barely usable anyway. But slow LTE and slow 3g is the same thing. Still unreliable and useless just a different name.

That is an ignorant thing to say on at least two counts.  First, 3 dBm is 2 mW.  So, that is something.  But, second, that is not what you actually intend.  You really mean 3 dB, not 3 dBm.  And you still think that 3 dB is "nothing"?  Is the difference between two scoops of ice cream and four scoops of ice cream "nothing"?  Is the difference between $100 and $200 "nothing"?  Is the difference between 60 mph and 120 mph "nothing"?  Those are all 3 dB differences.

AJ

When Paul is in the new "man on the street" commercial, he says Sprint's reliability is now within 1% of Verizon, based on recent data from Nielsen. How big/comparable is this difference relative to your statements about dB?

I could be wrong, but I believe it's possible on sites where they have 2 NV 1.0 antennas per sector. Usually this is only seen at high capacity sites currently. They put CDMA on one antenna and LTE on the other. I think it would allow for either 4x4 or 4x2, but I'm not certain. In theory they could go back and add a second set of antennas to every site, but I don't think it's likely any time soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

In Ericsson and Samsung markets there are low key deployments for 4x2 MIMO. They are going back to the sites and adding a second dual band antenna to enable 4x2. It isn't really for CDMA capacity anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well just wait till NV3.0 is rolled out it will be best best network 

• Like 1

Well just wait till NV3.0 is rolled out it will be best best network

Rolled out two years ago actually. It as just rebranded to NGN.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

Wew lad, £23.4bn. Softbank looking at buying ARM.

https://next.ft.com/content/235b1af4-4c7f-11e6-8172-e39ecd3b86fc

"The takeover of Cambridge-based Arm, which was founded a quarter of a century ago and now employs 4,000 people, would be the largest acquisition of a European technology business. SoftBank will pay £17 in cash for each share in Arm, a 43 per cent premium to its closing price last week...

...As purely a designer of chips rather a manufacturer, Arm’s intellectual property model leaves it with a high profit margin. However, its revenues of around £1bn last year made it a minnow by global chip standards. The purchase price is equivalent to 70 times its net income last year, and more than 50 times earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation."

• Like 1

^to put in American dollar terms:

SoftBank will buy U.K.-based chip designer ARM Holdings in an all-cash deal valued at more than $32 billion.

http://on.wsj.com/2a2ru6G

That's quite a bit of coin!

Meanwhile, Sprint has had to resort to multiple leasing vehicles to generate free cash and offload debt from the balance sheet.

For this amount of money:

Son could have just about paid off Sprint's debt (~$33 Billion), leaving it free and clear; or

Son could have bought out the remaining shares of Sprint stock and take the company private; or

Or Son could have gotten Sprint a substantial chunk of nationwide 600 MHz spectrum in the current auction.

etc....

Am I missing something here?

• Like 2

Arm is somewhat a profitable entity with a good positive reputation. Sprint...eh not so much.

Remember Softbank did try to sell Sprint and would have if there were any takers (there are none). 

• Like 3

Meanwhile, Sprint has had to resort to multiple leasing vehicles to generate free cash and offload debt from the balance sheet.

Son could have just about paid off Sprint's debt (~$33 Billion), leaving it free and clear; or

Son could have bought out the remaining shares of Sprint stock and take the company private; or

Or Son could have gotten Sprint a substantial chunk of nationwide 600 MHz spectrum in the current auction.

etc....

Yeah. Diversification and return to capital. Even if you zero out spring's debt there is a real question if Sprint will ever make Softbank a return on 53 billion or so of investment.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Arm is somewhat a profitable entity with a good positive reputation. Sprint...eh not so much.

Remember Softbank did try to sell Sprint and would have if there were any takers (there are none). 

True. However, Sprint would be very profitable if it didn't have to make these massive interest payments on its debt (in addition to the cost cutting/waste reduction which has already been done).

• Like 1

Yeah. Diversification and return to capital. Even if you zero out spring's debt there is a real question if Sprint will ever make Softbank a return on 53 billion or so of investment.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

It's all a matter of how much upside you see when you look at Sprint. Either it will win back millions of customers from the other carriers or it won't.

Eliminating Sprint's debt entirely would put Sprint on an extremely competitive footing vs its competition for all kinds of initiatives: Spectrum, Network Expansion, etc. Heck, eliminating half of it would make a huge difference in terms of Sprint's free cash flow.

Perhaps Son sees more upside with ARM than having Sprint become the #1 wireless carrier.

You're looking at it through the goggles of a Sprint user and someone who wants Sprint to succeed. 

To Softbank executives and bean counters Sprint is a liability that they can't get rid of. Once you see that you'll see why Son and softbank doesn't heavily invest into it and why they've been so quiet. 

• Like 1

You're looking at it through the goggles of a Sprint user and someone who wants Sprint to succeed. 

To Softbank executives and bean counters Sprint is a liability that they can't get rid of. Once you see that you'll see why Son and softbank doesn't heavily invest into it and why they've been so quiet. 

That's a good point. Indeed I am.

So what's Sprint supposed to do? Go barebones for the foreseeable future until it either merges with T-Mobile, gets bought out by someone else, or declares bankruptcy?

Where's Sprint left standing once the network densification project is completed?

etc....

It's double entry bookkeeping. Softbank gives Sprint money, you debit cash and credit... owners equity. I don't believe Softbank can own a larger stake in Sprint without taking it private and possibly running afoul of regulators.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7