Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/667013293584678913

free tablet and service for one year for existing customers.

That's the tablet here: http://alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/products/tablet/pixi_7.html#.VkzEFHarRhE  Meh, but it's free.  No details on how to actually redeem this yet though, anyone see a way? 

That's the tablet here: http://alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/products/tablet/pixi_7.html#.VkzEFHarRhE Meh, but it's free. No details on how to actually redeem this yet though, anyone see a way?

Probably Friday with the start date of those plans.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

That's the tablet here: http://alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/products/tablet/pixi_7.html#.VkzEFHarRhE  Meh, but it's free.  No details on how to actually redeem this yet though, anyone see a way? 

it's "free" for the first year but the second year will cost you $120 or $180 for service, it's such a crapy tablet it would surprise me if you still used it after 2 years...... same crapy "free" tablet deal that has been around for years.... nothing to see here.

• Like 1

I am truly embarassed for Sprint.  I have been a Nextel/Sprint customer since 2001, and now, more than ever, I am actually thinking its time to just get out.  I have never even considered it, but this company is going no where fast.  I was legitimately excited thinking this was going to finally be the thing that reinvigorates the company.

Nope.

I am actually insulted that as a 14 year customer their thanks is a piece of shit tablet and service for it.  They could give it to me for free forever and I would still be pissed off.

End rant.

I have 6 lines that are either going to get a major restructuring price wise from Sprint, or I will find another carrier.  I dont know what carrier it will be, but if I cant get comparable rate plans for 50% less than I pay today, its over.

• Like 7

it's "free" for the first year but the second year will cost you $120 or $180 for service, it's such a crapy tablet it would surprise me if you still used it after 2 years...... same crapy "free" tablet deal that has been around for years.... nothing to see here.

Did not see that it was a tablet that required service.  Yeah, bad deal. 

• Like 1

So why not just call and ask for free service since you've been with them xx amount of years. I don't expect freebies so I'm not disgusted when the press announcement doesn't meet my tier 1 expectations

Exactly my point.  Just dont do anything for existing customers is better than shitting in their hand with a $50 walmart tablet.

I am truly embarassed for Sprint.  I have been a Nextel/Sprint customer since 2001, and now, more than ever, I am actually thinking its time to just get out.  I have never even considered it, but this company is going no where fast.  I was legitimately excited thinking this was going to finally be the thing that reinvigorates the company.

Nope.

I am actually insulted that as a 14 year customer their thanks is a piece of shit tablet and service for it.  They could give it to me for free forever and I would still be pissed off.

End rant.

I have 6 lines that are either going to get a major restructuring price wise from Sprint, or I will find another carrier.  I dont know what carrier it will be, but if I cant get comparable rate plans for 50% less than I pay today, its over.

Curious, are you on an ED1500/3000 plan?  If so, you are already reaping the loyalty benefits.  If I joined Sprint with my 6 lines, unlimited everything, I'd be paying the same for the service (roughly $50/line.) AND the phone finance/leases on top of that.  6x~$20 and you got an over $400/month bill.  ED1500, with subsidy is worth holding onto for now.  If Sprint forces us off it, then I'd look else where.  I've tried switching my line to AT&T/T-Mobile before and ended up porting back because they just can't match the family plan I'm grandfathered into with Sprint.

I'd at least hold out for the NGN rollout starting Q1 next year.   

Is the Beamforming on the network actually new?  As in, it just got turned on today? or have we been seeing this already for some time?  If there's another thread for that, please let me know.

Beamforming is being deployed along with carrier aggregation. When announcements like this are made the technology is typically already deployed.

Exactly my point.  Just dont do anything for existing customers is better than shitting in their hand with a $50 walmart tablet.

The $50 Amazon fire tablet has better specs. And it will be priced at $35 on black friday...lol

This is the wrong thing at the wrong time Sprint. The new customer promo is fine, and actually good if you were already looking to switch to Sprint.

• Like 1

My last thought about this for today probably:

A more enticing promotion for current Sprint customers would be to waive activation and line fees for 1 year or 2 years on tablets for any existing customers. Sprint gets new tablet activations to show investors, current customers get a $120 or $240 (@10/mo on family share) promotional value while staying on the current plans and it might even incite non family share users to consider family share. 

"CURRENT CUSTOMERS: ACTIVATION AND LINE FEES WAIVED FOR A YEAR (or 2) WHEN YOU BRING ANY TABLET TO SPRINT"

wow people rejoice. I know this seems simplistic and is an outside looking in view on it but this isn't that hard especially when for many people that is like only 1 month of service. 

As a side note: I'm not sure why people are complaining as anyone who is truly a multiyear Sprint customer should go view the pricing spreadsheet and realize that SERO, ED1500, Framily, etc are ALL CHEAPER than family share in almost every circumstance! You're already getting a good promo deal every month!

• Like 8

Nope.

End rant.

If you are going to talk like that, here is my advice to you…

Do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Seriously, the bitching and moaning in this thread is over the top.  Many of you apparently are ingrates who will look a gift horse in the mouth.  If you do not like the offer, you do not have to take it.  Simple as that.  Sprint owes you nothing except for what is stated in your service plan.

AJ

• Like 3

Analysts are worried about the cash burn with this and other promos. We'll probably see the stock go under $4 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Seriously, the bitching and moaning in this thread is over the top. Many of you apparently are ingrates who will look a gift horse in the mouth. If you do not like the offer, you do not have to take it. Simple as that. Sprint owes you nothing except for what is stated in your service plan.

AJ

Exactly what I was getting at. I don't get the negative press, and I don't get the people here who have an inside view, of sorts, complaining like Sprint rained on their parade because the announcement wasn't the grand free for all that many apparently expected. Don't assume (ass u me) and you don't get disappointed. I've been with Sprint nearly ten years and I don't think they owe me more than what I get each month. I don't need someone to drive out and hand me a phone, or personally carry my rf signal from handset to nearest antenna.

The $50 Amazon fire tablet has better specs. And it will be priced at $35 on black friday...lol

Is the $50 Amazon Fire an LTE tablet?  If not, that is a big difference between it and this Alcatel tablet.  As we have seen across numerous tablets, the cellular versions do not come cheap.

Look, like many of you, I would not use the Alcatel tablet.  However, we are not the target audience.  Too often, we think that we represent wireless users.  We do not.  S4GRU is niche.  And many less tech savvy, average users and/or their children will know that it is not an iPad, but that is about it.  Many will be happy with this free tablet.

AJ

Seriously, the bitching and moaning in this thread is over the top.  Many of you apparently are ingrates who will look a gift horse in the mouth.  If you do not like the offer, you do not have to take it.  Simple as that.  Sprint owes you nothing except for what is stated in your service plan.

AJ

Aj, you see, that's the problem here.  Someone vents frustration and you twist it into someone deciding they need to be paid off and put on a pedestal because of their rant.

You are absolutely right, I dont have to take it.  I wont infact, unless what Sprint Care sent me when I asked about the tablet changes for the better.  

That doesnt mean I dont have a right to not be happy about it.  Not everything is sunshine and glory my friend.  The network takes 10 steps forward and corporate is pushing the company 10 steps back.

Sprints issue is no longer its poor data quality and spotty density.  Its the companies lack to connect with the customer.  Know why TMobile is smoking Sprint?  Not because of price, network or magenta colors.  Its because they are connecting to their customers, even if most of it is not sustainable.

I dont need unlimited data, I use my phone a lot, 5 gigs is still plenty for me.  My family all use less.  If they will change me over to 50% of what it would be on T-Mobile, I will stay, if not, why would I?

Bottom line, if you want a truthful and meaningful discussion, there will be some dissent in the ranks.  There has to be, otherwise this will just turn into a fan boy website.

• Like 7

I have 6 lines that are either going to get a major restructuring price wise from Sprint, or I will find another carrier. I dont know what carrier it will be, but if I cant get comparable rate plans for 50% less than I pay today, its over.

Is that 6 lines on ED1500? So, $260/mo if I do the math right by simply adding 19.99 to 5 lines here. If you have subsidized iphone pricing on all 6 lines you should be paying ~$321/mo (if the $199 is averaged across 24 months for each phone).

Versus Family Share with the CHEAPEST iphone option (leasing) you are STILL better off than any Family Share plan 10GB or larger ($310 @ 10 GB but $11/mo isnt worth losing unlimited). On top of that you own your phone after 24 months.

Not calling you out but if you are comparing promo rates with no phone cost vs your current rates with subsidy then of course it will seem like you are getting ripped off.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6402-sprint-plan-comparison-spreadsheet/

Aj, you see, that's the problem here.  Someone vents frustration and you twist it into someone deciding they need to be paid off and put on a pedestal because of their rant.

S4GRU does not allow rants. It is in the rules. But I let your posts stand and rebutted them instead. If you prefer, I can go back and remove your posts.

Sprints issue is no longer its poor data quality and spotty density.  Its the companies lack to connect with the customer.  Know why TMobile is smoking Sprint?  Not because of price, network or magenta colors.  Its because they are connecting to their customers, even if most of it is not sustainable.

T-Mobile is winning with new subscribers. It is not necessarily winning with existing users -- many of whom complain about it in their respective forums and comment boards just like you have here.  Face it, once you are in the fold, you are almost forgotten.  For financial reasons, the search is always on for new subscribers.  Those are the people who get the biggest perks.

AJ

• Like 1

Look, like many of you, I would not use the Alcatel tablet.  However, we are not the target audience.  Too often, we think that we represent wireless users.  We do not.  S4GRU is niche.  And many less tech savvy, average users and/or their children will know that it is not an iPad, but that is about it.  Many will be happy with this free tablet.

AJ

All of that may be true, but it seems to me (don't have the numbers to do a financial analysis or anything) that they could have come out ahead by waiving the line/activation fees if you buy or bring your own tablet.  Most will buy the tablet from Sprint, so they make a profit selling the hardware instead of losing money giving it away.  The waived line/activation fees results in the same losses either way, but it winds up being cheap enough that customers jump on with their existing plans (I would consider it, and I don't even own a tablet right now!), some of whom will wind up needing to pay for more data as a result of using more data on their new tablets, so Sprint could come out ahead on that front.  Plus, the customer feels good about it, people like us and people who aren't the niche customers.

I could be wrong, of course.  But it seems like there are ways to do this that make Sprint money and make the existing customers, niche or not, feel good at the same time.

- Trip

• Like 7