Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Harping on T-Mobile bandwagon, seriously?...the new 50% off has no overage, once you use up the allotted data, you get reduced to 2G for rest of the month.

Activation fees are the same as the $15 SIM fee that T-Mobile charges.

T-Mobile doesn't charge for SIM cards if you do leasing (jump on demand). And it's only charged once for new lines, not every time you upgrade.

Didn't Sprint just tweet about it and create a countdown page? That's now overhyping? I actually don't get the overhyped storyline. No TV Commercials or billboards. And it was kind of the last minute.

It wasn't overhyped. Even S4GRU members were largely dubious it would be anything worthwhile. But to tech enthusiasts, it was probably all a spectacular fantasy. You people who claimed Sprint overhyped this are in fact the ones who over hyped it. The rest of us were pessimistic.

Sent from Amazon Fire Phone using Tapatalk

You people = S4RU members

No?

Sent from my SM-N910T

Didn't Sprint just tweet about it and create a countdown page? That's now overhyping? I actually don't get the overhyped storyline. No TV Commercials or billboards. And it was kind of the last minute.

It wasn't overhyped. Even S4GRU members were largely dubious it would be anything worthwhile. But to tech enthusiasts, it was probably all a spectacular fantasy. You people who claimed Sprint overhyped this are in fact the ones who over hyped it. The rest of us were pessimistic.

Sent from Amazon Fire Phone using Tapatalk

Me personally?

I never let myself get hyped up by anything in the industry because if I did, Id never be happy.

I even forgot the news was today.

But Im talking about stuff like this:

Sprint plans to make a significant move Wednesday in what has become an endless series of pricing battles among the major mobile carriers, especially Sprint and T-Mobile.

It’s not totally clear just what Sprint has up its sleeve, but it’s enough to have CEO Marcelo Claure so excited he can barely contain himself on Twitter.

Claure tweeted a picture of himself and a team of Sprint co-workers on Saturday, saying he had just finished a planning meeting on the announcement. He then followed that up with a tweet pointing to a countdown clock on Sprint’s website.

“The other carriers are not going to like this … guaranteed,” he said.

Sources said it’s not just your typical add-a-tablet promotion, nor is Sprint giving all its phone customers a hotspot, but there are still lots of other things Sprint could try. One source described the announcement as “big … very big,” but would not say more.

http://recode.net/2015/11/17/sprint-ceo-marcelo-claure-plans-big-price-move-on-wednesday/

Had Marcelo not tweeted anything beyond "prepping for Wednesday conference all" ridiculous articles like this never would have been written and I think today's press cycle would have been more upbeat.

• Like 6

You people = S4RU members

No?

Sent from my SM-N910T

What's your point? Would I be talking to anyone else at S4GRU? I am talking to the people in this thread who feel Sprint over hyped this. It was far from over hyped. But they did hype it on Twitter a couple of days.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Me personally?

I never let myself get hyped up by anything in the industry because if I did, Id never be happy.

I even forgot the news was today.

But Im talking about stuff like this:

http://recode.net/2015/11/17/sprint-ceo-marcelo-claure-plans-big-price-move-on-wednesday/

Had Marcelo not tweeted anything beyond "prepping for Wednesday conference all" ridiculous articles like this never would have been written and I think today's press cycle would have been more upbeat.

He did prep for a Wednesday conference call. Why wouldn't he tweet about it? I'm sorry, but this was not over hyped. Not even close.

• Like 3

T-Mobile doesn't charge for SIM cards if you do leasing (jump on demand). And it's only charged once for new lines, not every time you upgrade.

It is if you move from a 3FF micro SIM to a 4FF nano SIM.  I know.  I paid it.

AJ

• Like 1

He did prep for a Wednesday conference call. Why wouldn't he tweet about it? I'm sorry, but this was not over hyped. Not even close.

The DOW is up 1.5% while Sprint is down close to 10%.

That tells me hype was built up and the investors don't feel like it delivered.

Those arent magenta fanboys or delusional S4GRU members - they're unbiased investors.

• Like 3

Those arent magenta fanboys or delusional S4GRU members - they're unbiased investors.

I wouldn't use the daily stock price as a metric for success.

Apple has major announcements of new products, and despite having a consistent history of huge profit margins, their stock drops after most of those announcements.

"Buy the rumor, sell the news" - http://www.davemanuel.com/investor-dictionary/buy-the-rumor-sell-the-news/

• Like 2

#numbersdontlie

I don't know if I would agree. He got the tech industry talking about it since the weekend, the Twitter hashtag was trending for a bit, and there were plenty of investor notes about it. You can also see the stock steadily increasing as more people wondered what it was going to be. While it was only a couple of days, there was a lot of hype about it. Just type in Sprint in a news search in Google. Apple has even updated hardware with less fanfare. I'm most upset because of the implications it has as an investor. I will say that the one thing T-Mobile has figured out is marketing. While I think the Sprint network is leaps and bounds above where it used to be, none of the commercials and announcements truly show this. If they had somehow turned Mr. Saw's LTE Plus blog post into an announcement stating that Sprint was going against the big two by getting rid of access fees and something else, that may have been a bigger announcement while appealing to Wall Street. Also, getting rid of activation fees for current subscribers would probably spur a lot of people to enter the leasing world, thus selling more phones.

I have been on this site since the initial WiMax days, but I have to say, I have been afraid to post some of my thoughts in the past because of how anything negative can be perceived. However, Sprint needs to figure out a way to rebrand themselves without seeming silly (the gimmicky countdown clock was silly). Right now the marketing team has just been horrible, and I'll be honest, I'd take the hamster advertisement over the 50% child ad from today. I'm sorry a 7 year old cannot read that much fine print. T-Mobile has done great with UnCarrier, and Verizon with the best network ads; while AT&T, well the number of people leaving speaks to their current marketing. The marketing for Sprint needs to focus on value and networking strength, with a much increased focus on the network. Sprint can throw all the freebies it wants, but the bottom line is when I recommend Sprint to people they still say 'that network is horrible'. Even though my phone is now faster than Verizon in many places around NYC. This is now the second 'major' announcement by Marcelo that has the tech world and the investment world scratching their collective heads. The last flop was MyWay, which thanks to this site was revised.

• Like 7

For new customers? Is that a limited time offer? 

When sprint was saying this is the best thing to happen to the U.S. Wireless industry and all the other carriers won't like it, you don't consider that hype?

I think this would have been a huge win if they didn't already have the half off promotion running since the Super Bowl. But the smart population is wondering how this really is any different and earth shattering as it was described.

• Like 4

Investors are mad at more rate cuts and giveaways.  Further lowering of ARPU.  Not because of tweets.

• Like 2

This may be my one and only post on the so called "hype."  Yes, this move is major and worthy of the hype -- for new subscribers.  Had VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile offered a deal to cut your Sprint bill in half for equivalent plans, many of you would be out of here in a heartbeat and on that deal like flies on shit.

#DoubleStandard

AJ

• Like 5

This may be my one and only post on the so called "hype." Yes, this move is major and worthy of the hype -- for new subscribers. Had VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile offered a deal to cut your Sprint bill in half for equivalent plans, many of you would be out of here in a heartbeat and on that deal like flies on shit.

#DoubleStandard

AJ

But had they had essentially the same plan in place for a year it wouldn't have been news. #justsayin

I have been on this site since the initial WiMax days, but I have to say, I have been afraid to post some of my thoughts in the past because of how anything negative can be perceived.

You're afraid that I might disagree with you? You're afraid we see over hyping differently? You're afraid I might debate your ideas? Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

Am I supposed to read everyone's points and not respond if I disagree? It's supposed to be everyone else's opinion, but mine? Only one view point should be allowed?

Everyone is free to post what they want (within the rules, of course). And everyone is free to challenge. Even challenge my points.  Many do habitually.  Dedub and I disagree a lot.  Dissenting view points are allowed. Yours still stand. Not going to remove them because they are different than mine. But I should be able to respond too. That way there can be an exchange.

And just to set the record straight, I'm rather underwhelmed by what Marcelo announced. The new plans. Ehh, i suppose they will help Sprint. I think the tablet offer is kind of ridiculous. I never commented on the merits of what was announced. So most of your comments did have some influence on me as I considered it all.

I just don't think it was over hyped. And it's OK that some of you don't agree with me. I can handle it. Can you?

• Like 10

But had they had essentially the same plan in place for a year it wouldn't have been news. #justsayin

it never included T-Mobile.  In fact, many here decried that point.  Now it does.  And it also made some material changes to VZW and AT&T to include (changing to other) plans and you can add more lines.  So the changes are very material.

Edited by S4GRU
Added in parenthesis to be more clear
  • Like 1

This may be my one and only post on the so called "hype."  Yes, this move is major and worthy of the hype -- for new subscribers.  Had VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile offered a deal to cut your Sprint bill in half for equivalent plans, many of you would be out of here in a heartbeat and on that deal like flies on shit.

#DoubleStandard

AJ

How is that a double standard?

Todays announcement saves current Sprint subscribers a grand total of $0.00.

If Verizon announced they would offer my family unlimited internet at half the rate Im paying Sprint...well, yeah, Id probably switch. I mean, seriously, who wouldnt take that deal? Anyone here would turn down $100 a month in savings assuming the exact same plan?

I dont understand this need to be loyal or grateful to a publicly traded mega-corporation. I choose what I pay for based on what service I get for what cost. I am with Sprint because they offer me the best value. I don't see the controversy of jumping ship if anyone else decided to offer me a better value proposition.

Ive been with Sprint for 5 years btw, so clearly no one has yet to do that.

• Like 2