Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

But had they had essentially the same plan in place for a year it wouldn't have been news. #justsayin

Yes, it's similar. But it is also new. It is better, simpler. You can now pick the plan you want cut in half so long as you are porting in a number. And T-Mobile is now included as well. 

How is that a double standard?

Todays announcement saves current Sprint subscribers a grand total of $0.00.

If Verizon announced they would offer my family unlimited internet at half the rate Im paying Sprint...well, yeah, Id probably switch. I mean, seriously, who wouldnt take that deal? Anyone here would turn down $100 a month in savings assuming the exact same plan?

Most of the announcement was not geared towards current subscribers! That is the point! Try to view it from an ATT/VZ/TMO customer's point of view. You now have your pick of plans, at half the rate your current provider is charging. 

• Like 2

Says the poster who likes any remotely negative Sprint comment.

This is true.  He basically comes here to promote or celebrate anti-Sprint or anti-S4GRU discussion.  But he has managed to do so without breaking the rules.  He is the evidence that we just don't go banning people we disagree with or don't like.  If so, he would have been banned a long time ago.

• Like 1

The DOW is up 1.5% while Sprint is down close to 10%.

That tells me hype was built up and the investors don't feel like it delivered.

Those arent magenta fanboys or delusional S4GRU members - they're unbiased investors.

I don't know that I buy into the investor hype argument. The stock out performed verizon and us cellular by about 2% between Monday and Tuesday, if anything that is your "hype." It is clear the market didn't like the announcement for sure. However the market reaction isn't a surprise. Sprint continuing to cut margins is bad for short-term investors.

This may be my one and only post on the so called "hype."  Yes, this move is major and worthy of the hype -- for new subscribers.  Had VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile offered a deal to cut your Sprint bill in half for equivalent plans, many of you would be out of here in a heartbeat and on that deal like flies on shit.

#DoubleStandard

AJ

T-Mobile's network covers 304 million POPs with LTE now. AT&T and Verizon both cover more than that. Sprint's does not come close. That's the difference. 

Sure, if Sprint works better for someone who had another carrier before, this could be a good deal. But Sprint was already the cheapest, and this announcement does nothing for current customers. So it's only of value to people who already weren't using the cheapest option--and it entices them to give up more coverage with...cheaper prices? Which is what they had before. 

I somehow doubt this will do much to stop the near 3-to-1 porting ratio of Sprint to T-Mobile in Southern California, for example. That's largely a coverage/network based reaction (T-Mobile has a network that rivals Verizon in the Southland now that they've turned on Band 12). Pricing your way to poverty isn't going to bring back those subscribers...

• Like 1

If you are going to talk like that, here is my advice to you…

Do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Seriously, the bitching and moaning in this thread is over the top.  Many of you apparently are ingrates who will look a gift horse in the mouth.  If you do not like the offer, you do not have to take it.  Simple as that.  Sprint owes you nothing except for what is stated in your service plan.

AJ

Bravo..... 

#sarcasm 

How is that a double standard?

Todays announcement saves current Sprint subscribers a grand total of $0.00.

If Verizon announced they would offer my family unlimited internet at half the rate Im paying Sprint...well, yeah, Id probably switch. I mean, seriously, who wouldnt take that deal? Anyone here would turn down $100 a month in savings assuming the exact same plan?

I dont understand this need to be loyal or grateful to a publicly traded mega-corporation. I choose what I pay for based on what service I get for what cost. I am with Sprint because they offer me the best value. I don't see the controversy of jumping ship if anyone else decided to offer me a better value proposition.

Ive been with Sprint for 5 years btw, so clearly no one has yet to do that.

The thing I would be most critical of Marcelo about is his tweet about something for existing subscribers.  I think, that should not have been promoted at all.  I think our expectations were raised that Sprint was going to reward its customers who have stuck by them through all these pains.  Granted, he only did that in one vague tweet that had no details whatsoever.  But what he is offering just doesn't add much value to the existing customer.  A cheap tablet no one wants that you basically will pay for in the second year.  No thanks.  He should hear loud and clear when existing customers largely reject this "freebie."  At least I hope the under educated masses, a.k.a Sheeple, do reject it.

It's OK that you guys feel underwhelmed in the newest Sprint promotion.  I know I feel underwhelmed.  There has been a lot of negative feedback in T-Mobile plans and price changes of late too.  I wouldn't even be surprised if Sprint changed this at the last minute because of Tmo price hikes.  Now they don't have to move pricing down as far they thought.

But in being underwhelmed, what has changed?  If Sprint was good enough yesterday, it's still good enough today.  It wasn't like prices went up...like at Tmo.  It's not as if the value has been reduced.  It's the same.  And if you like crappy tablets, maybe it's even improved slightly.  I just don't get how people want to leave Sprint today when they have not been further negatively impacted by the announcement.  

If Sprint isn't good enough for anyone today, i would argue they weren't good enough for them yesterday, last week or last month.

• Like 11

I was hoping to see loyalty customers getting $25 off their bill for a year.

Its hard to make a blanket statement like that, with so many legacy plans, many of witch are very inexpensive or include phone subsidies.  $25 bill credit might make some people half off while large families might feel like they got the shaft.... should they have sprint bill each line individually to get more credit?   

Let us be clear:

T-Mobile offers it's existing subscribers the same plans as the ones it newly promotes and that is a fantastic way to prevent churn and hold on to subscribers but it definitely cuts down on potential earnings/ARPU. Sprint, like AT&T and Verizon, has decided that they would rather keep existing customers at higher ARPU on their current plans rather than do this.

Both of these have merit and neither one is wrong or incorrect. The truth of it is that loyalty to a certain carrier, much like loyalty to an employer, often doesn't pay. I've always been on Sprint even when I transferred to Ting after getting frustrated with my speeds vs my bill. However, I swapped my numbers to TMobile to get my current no line fees credit and I am not above moving carriers again. Judging by their current plan offerings Sprint must be fine with this potential for me to churn and so I don't take it personally one way or the other. 

I will, however, disagree with Robert and a few others here. This event was definitely overhyped. When you bill something as "the greatest deal in wireless" and "the other carriers won't like this!" and "we spent long nights on this plan!" and then fail to accurately explain the promotion you have the current situation. While this is a good deal for some people the confusion between the previously quite well advertised CYBIH makes this a misunderstood plan/promotion. Many people were hoping for more substantial changes and creativity from Sprint and thus are quite let down. 

The reality is that by offering these types of plans means they are a follower in the market and thus will continue to drive their own ARPU down as other carriers adjust their plans. Rather than providing some innovative option for customers like, I don't know, the already mentioned waived line fees for tablets, Phone insurance for half the price or free through their leasing vehicles they are setting up, legacy customers getting waived line fees for moving from ED1500 to Family Share,etc. 

My criticism is not with the promotion itself but the lack of market leadership and creativity to stand out. The lack of articulation bothers me the most. I shouldn't have to read fine print or Rocket87's posts to understand the meaning of a plan. 

Anyways, it was a long post but I am stuck on a conference call that so far has required me to introduce myself and then listen for 20 minutes.

• Like 11

Let us be clear:

T-Mobile offers it's existing subscribers the same plans as the ones it newly promotes and that is a fantastic way to prevent churn and hold on to subscribers but it definitely cuts down on potential earnings/ARPU. Sprint, like AT&T and Verizon, has decided that they would rather keep existing customers at higher ARPU on their current plans rather than do this.

Both of these have merit and neither one is wrong or incorrect. The truth of it is that loyalty to a certain carrier, much like loyalty to an employer, often doesn't pay. I've always been on Sprint even when I transferred to Ting after getting frustrated with my speeds vs my bill. However, I swapped my numbers to TMobile to get my current no line fees credit and I am not above moving carriers again. Judging by their current plan offerings Sprint must be fine with this potential for me to churn and so I don't take it personally one way or the other. 

I will, however, disagree with Robert and a few others here. This event was definitely overhyped. When you bill something as "the greatest deal in wireless" and "the other carriers won't like this!" and "we spent long nights on this plan!" and then fail to accurately explain the promotion you have the current situation. While this is a good deal for some people the confusion between the previously quite well advertised CYBIH makes this a misunderstood plan/promotion. Many people were hoping for more substantial changes and creativity from Sprint and thus are quite let down. 

The reality is that by offering these types of plans means they are a follower in the market and thus will continue to drive their own ARPU down as other carriers adjust their plans. Rather than providing some innovative option for customers like, I don't know, the already mentioned waived line fees for tablets, Phone insurance for half the price or free through their leasing vehicles they are setting up, legacy customers getting waived line fees for moving from ED1500 to Family Share,etc. 

My criticism is not with the promotion itself but the lack of market leadership and creativity to stand out. The lack of articulation bothers me the most. I shouldn't have to read fine print or Rocket87's posts to understand the meaning of a plan. 

Anyways, it was a long post but I am stuck on a conference call that so far has required me to introduce myself and then listen for 20 minutes.

:goodpost:

Thank you for a well articulated rebuttal to my point.  Thank you for not making it personal about me or the site, just because I disagreed.  I am nearly won over to your point of view.  I love intellectual debate.

• Like 13

The last flop was MyWay, which thanks to this site was revised.

How was My Way revised?

They did not move forward with a hard throttle of streaming video.

Were you referring to the ALL IN plans?  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-387-updated-editorial-marcelo-thats-not-quite-what-we-were-thinking-all-in-would-look-like/

• Like 1

You're afraid that I might disagree with you? You're afraid we see over hyping differently? You're afraid I might debate your ideas? Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

Am I supposed to read everyone's points and not respond if I disagree? It's supposed to be everyone else's opinion, but mine? Only one view point should be allowed?

I just don't think it was over hyped. And it's OK that some of you don't agree with me. I can handle it. Can you?

No, I'm not afraid that you might disagree with me and no I'm not afraid of debate.  We used to have a great time in the chatroom together way back in the day.  A lot has happened in life since then.  You are very open and honest with pretty much everything.  I rarely do post anymore and I do feel bad about it because I do miss the site.  I just am getting increasingly nervous about this company and its forward progress.  The financials are really not looking good and public perception is still in the toilet.  Somehow they need to get the message across. If T-Mobile can do it, there is no reason why Sprint can't!  

• Like 2

Yes, sorry about the misinformation earlier.  Too many plans to keep track of, especially since Marcelo took over!

• Like 3

I thought it didn't include the TMO Family Plans - or was that bad cross-intel  

T-Mobile plan:Discount offer limited to T-Mobile’s advertised Simple Choice rate plan prices as of 11/16/15 for 2GB, 6GB and 10GB for non-discounted handsets only; tablet and MBB rate plans excluded. T-Mobile unlimited data rate plan excluded. Data is not shared among multiple lines. After high-speed data allotment is used, speeds will be reduced to 2G speeds (up to 128kbps) until the end of your bill cycle. Add'l on-network high-speed data allowance may be purchased at $15/GB.

So is this accurate?

56924975600dcd50a8e1a02d19974716.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

No, I'm not afraid that you might disagree with me and no I'm not afraid of debate.  We used to have a great time in the chatroom together way back in the day.  A lot has happened in life since then.  You are very open and honest with pretty much everything.  I rarely do post anymore and I do feel bad about it because I do miss the site.  I just am getting increasingly nervous about this company and its forward progress.  The financials are really not looking good and public perception is still in the toilet.  Somehow they need to get the message across. If T-Mobile can do it, there is no reason why Sprint can't!  

OK.  Being nervous about Sprint is justified.  I interpreted your comment that you didn't feel comfortable posting at S4GRU because we may disagree with you.  No one should feel concerned about posting here.  Unless they are an idiot.  And clearly you are not.

• Like 6

I thought it didn't include the TMO Family Plans - or was that bad cross-intel  

I know it doesn't include Tmo unlimited plans.  Sprint would be crazy to offer Unlimited plans for $45.  But I think it includes Family Plans.  Sprint would be missing out on the biggest part if they didn't.  Not many individual account lines out there for the taking.

• Like 1

I know it doesn't include Tmo unlimited plans.  Sprint would be crazy to offer Unlimited plans for $45.  But I think it includes Family Plans.  Sprint would be missing out on the biggest part if they didn't.  Not many individual account lines out there for the taking.

Well, Framily unlimited (on a 7 user Framily) was $45 so never say never  :lol:

• Like 5