Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Yeah, get rid of surprise overages for sure. I agree too on allowing customers to purchase additional high speed data. This, along with having an unlimited 2g plan would be great for customers. Yet, I still think the 2g speed could be raised somewhat. At least enough to support streaming music, though not video as that takes up more network resources. Doing this way is better I think than saying "music freedom", etc.

128 kbps is good enough for music streaming. I have used 1x for both iHeart and TuneIn without any issues on 64 kbps AAC streams.
  • Like 2

With Sprint spending over $500M/year on Verizon roaming charges, wouldn't it be cheaper to just build out the network in the problem areas? 

With 800Mhz nationwide, there really is not a reason Sprint shouldn't be able to do this.

• Like 5

With Sprint spending over $500M/year on Verizon roaming charges, wouldn't it be cheaper to just build out the network in the problem areas?

With 800Mhz nationwide, there really is not a reason Sprint shouldn't be able to do this.

Yes and then people in major markets get butt hurt when they're getting 1-5 Mbps or less while some boonies gets millions of dollars worth of telecom investments.

Sprint has to focus on their existing coverage today. When they fix up their urban areas then they can expand like tmobile has. Until then their money Is better spent improving the networks consistency and performance.

Roaming costs is a reason why sprint has capped it at 300 MBs. Imagine what they were paying when it was soft capped and people forced roams gbs of data on Verizon. Shit got expensive real quick.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

Yes and then people in major markets get butt hurt when they're getting 1-5 Mbps or less while some boonies gets millions of dollars worth of telecom investments.

Sprint has to focus on their existing coverage today. When they fix up their urban areas then they can expand like tmobile has. Until then their money Is better spent improving the networks consistency and performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Same logic I applied to why Sprint was right in ignoring 600Mhz auction.

Where are you getting $500M/yr?

I have a question. Why is T-Mobile's stock tanking right now and Sprint's stock shooting up?

Easy answer. T-Mobile missed estimates and despite having a good quarter was lower on revenue and profit (than expected) as well as falling ARPU.

Basically they reported about 15? cents a share net income when analysts were expecting 30 cents a share. Revenue was up @ $7.8 billion but missed expectations of $8.29 billion.

• Like 9

The T-Mobile CFO mentioned it, basically saying that they chose to skip in-market roaming as a fall-back, and saved the cash that way.

Sprint maintains the roaming agreement to ensure that customers are not left with the dreaded No Service message on their devices.

• Like 8

The T-Mobile CFO mentioned it, basically saying that they chose to skip in-market roaming as a fall-back, and saved the cash that way.

Sprint maintains the roaming agreement to ensure that customers are not left with the dreaded No Service message on their devices.

Exactly. T-Mobile is okay with having their customers completely disconnected from their service in rough locations, whereas Sprint goes above and beyond with their roaming agreements to ensure you're always connected. The issue is Sprint should focus on adding service, even if it's 3g only in rural locations, just to get people off Verizon roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 6

Exactly. T-Mobile is okay with having their customers completely disconnected from their service in rough locations, whereas Sprint goes above and beyond with their roaming agreements to ensure you're always connected. The issue is Sprint should focus on adding service, even if it's 3g only in rural locations, just to get people off Verizon roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

And that's my point with the future of the company. The focus needs to be to make the macro as dense as possible in urban areas, and spread outwards afterwards.

• Like 1

This is the better question:  How does the T-Mobile CFO know that Sprint roaming costs on VZW run $500 million/yr?  Roaming costs on one other specific operator are not public information.  Should I take his word for it?  I mean, T-Mobile executives never distort nor exaggerate anything, right?

AJ

• Like 8

Sent from my Nexus 5X

And that's my point with the future of the company. The focus needs to be to make the macro as dense as possible in urban areas, and spread outwards afterwards.

It really needs to be a both and strategy. In fact the information about the NGN plans suggest just that (at least to me). The areas that will be built out I would suspect are primarily areas with excessive roaming cost. The other areas that could be considered a build out will probably the former Nextel sites (outside of the current footprint) that are mentioned in the plan and any other locations where Sprint adds sites to meet license's requirements.

• Like 1

This would be the only way I would consider not having a replaceable battery. Droid Turbo 2 Verizon exclusive. Shatterproof screen finally.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/droid-turbo-2#Specifications

It looks nice.  But each handset has a diagonal scratch near the bottom.  Lenovo/Motorola quality control must be going downhill.

AJ

• Like 13

This is the better question: How does the T-Mobile CFO know that Sprint roaming costs on VZW run $500 million/yr? Roaming costs on one other specific operator are not public information. Should I take his word for it? I mean, T-Mobile executives never distort nor exaggerate anything, right?

AJ

He also said it topped $1B at one point. So it has drastically improved!

• Like 1

Hard capping it at 300 MBs sure as hell helped.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

True story. But I don't understand how you can use so much data roaming anyways. When my Sprint phone says "Extended 1x"...I have never had a successful outgoing call. Texts will go through...just take forever. It is more comforting to have roaming service instead of "No Service".

• Like 1

True story. But I don't understand how you can use so much data roaming anyways. When my Sprint phone says "Extended 1x"...I have never had a successful outgoing call. Texts will go through...just take forever. It is more comforting to have roaming service instead of "No Service".

Loading a custom prl with evdo roaming enabled and going to town with roaming evdo to get out of contract ring a bell or two? Doesn't take much to rack up thousands when every gb of data is $100-200+.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 2

This is the better question: How does the T-Mobile CFO know that Sprint roaming costs on VZW run $500 million/yr? Roaming costs on one other specific operator are not public information. Should I take his word for it? I mean, T-Mobile executives never distort nor exaggerate anything, right?

AJ

They are the church of wireless service. Everything they do, is to epic proportions. John Legere is blessed with the ability to do such things like raising prices, yet having people think he actually lowered them, etc. When other carriers do something that the media criticizes them for, John Legere can not only do the same thing but make it worse, yet have the media glorify him as such a wise marketing genius.

So as far as distorting and exaggerating, its just what the un-carrier is all about.

Word! ????

• Like 7

It looks nice. But each handset has a diagonal scratch near the bottom. Lenovo/Motorola quality control must be going downhill.

AJ

Actually, it is two diagonal scratches which connect in the form of a checkpoint, and Verizon has been kindly adding more of these scratches for their customers as part of the privilege of paying Verizon the $5 additional they recently tacked onto the access fee charge.

• Like 1

Sprint (and Verizon) are both publicly traded companies. I wouldn't be surprised if the number was found somewhere in the documents they have available for investors.

• Like 1

It's been speculated that Sprint has paid a lot to Verizon for roaming for a while. I am personally for cutting off roaming. Better to just go on and not worry about the super rural customers (like myself!) who are on VZW anyway.

• Like 2

Sprint (and Verizon) are both publicly traded companies. I wouldn't be surprised if the number was found somewhere in the documents they have available for investors.

Yes, total roaming costs can be found as expenses in SEC filings -- but not broken down per other operator.  I could be wrong, but I think that the T-Mobile executive is generalizing all Sprint roaming as being on VZW, though it is not.

AJ

• Like 3