Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Feeling sorry for sprint :( they offer choice and people get pissy about it. Yes they borrowed it from tmobile but I doubt tmo invented it.  In the dark ages you hit you allowance and then just got charged more,  these days you can choose a plan that just slows you down rather than charging you more (while still being able to pay overages if you want to go that route). You can also get unlimited data that when you hit a pseudo arbitrary limit you get deprioratized on congested sites.  Again,  nothing is being forced,  just more options.  Yet people still complain?  Some folks just don't deserve nice things. They are begging to be screwed over by the big two. 

I'll give tmo one thing,  they have managed to position themselves as a popular underdog and the media seems to be perpetuating that, sprint on the other hand seems to attract more than its fair share of criticism. The underdog they like to kick. People are fickle and media respond to that :( thank god for t/s4gru!

• Like 8

I'll give tmo one thing, they have managed to position themselves as a popular underdog and the media seems to be perpetuating that, sprint on the other hand seems to attract more than its fair share of criticism. The underdog they like to kick. People are fickle and media respond to that :( thank god for t/s4gru!

You are absolutely right!

Very well said!

T-Mobile is the Darling of the Media and Sprint is the Whipping Boy.

• Like 5

Maybe Sprint needs to take the Domino's Pizza approach. Admit how bad they used to be and promise to improve. They are 4th largest now so they can talk about being the underdog and the smallest company and get some sympathy (though that would take some seriously clever marketing).

• Like 6

Maybe Sprint needs to take the Domino's Pizza approach. Admit how bad they used to be and promise to improve. They are 4th largest now so they can talk about being the underdog and the smallest company and get some sympathy (though that would take some seriously clever marketing).

I'd love to see them push fast and hard, set some big targets with close deadlines and go all out to hit them. It won't be cheap but it would be good to see them over deliver. I don't think they need a Legere (I'm hoping only one exists) but it would be great to see a consistent experience across their footprint. I have no doubt that sprint as a whole is unrecognizable compared to a few years ago but they left gaps in their upgrades. If I had a phone from each tier one carrier in my hand now only one wouldn't have an lte signal. They have worked wonders doing as much as they have but let's luck it up another notch. Fill the holes and expand the footprint. 2.4G is such a boon,  get it out there,  get 2 or 3 carriers nearly everywhere and kick some ass.

• Like 4

I completely agree Sprint ought to take this approach. I mentioned a similar idea on this site shortly after I became a member here in the Spring. Sprint could advertise showing quotes of different people saying "Sprint sucks, etc." while depressing music plays building up to epic badass music playing while quotes change to positive ones reflecting how great Sprint has become.

There are plenty of other ideas that might work too, but I definitely believe Sprint at least ought to address the bad reputation head on, and make a bold statement of its improvements.

• Like 4

I'd love to see them push fast and hard, set some big targets with close deadlines and go all out to hit them. It won't be cheap but it would be good to see them over deliver. I don't think they need a Legere (I'm hoping only one exists) but it would be great to see a consistent experience across their footprint. I have no doubt that sprint as a whole is unrecognizable compared to a few years ago but they left gaps in their upgrades. If I had a phone from each tier one carrier in my hand now only one wouldn't have an lte signal. They have worked wonders doing as much as they have but let's luck it up another notch. Fill the holes and expand the footprint. 2.4G is such a boon, get it out there, get 2 or 3 carriers nearly everywhere and kick some ass.

Saddly when they have done this, it backfires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd love to see them push fast and hard, set some big targets with close deadlines and go all out to hit them. It won't be cheap but it would be good to see them over deliver. I don't think they need a Legere (I'm hoping only one exists) but it would be great to see a consistent experience across their footprint. I have no doubt that sprint as a whole is unrecognizable compared to a few years ago but they left gaps in their upgrades. If I had a phone from each tier one carrier in my hand now only one wouldn't have an lte signal. They have worked wonders doing as much as they have but let's luck it up another notch. Fill the holes and expand the footprint. 2.4G is such a boon,  get it out there,  get 2 or 3 carriers nearly everywhere and kick some ass.

For sure. And the only thing that would keep my faith is if they commit to improving their entire footprint and not selling out to be a city-carrier. My point essentially agrees with yours but I emphasize wanting Sprint to improve to the very edge of their current footprint. 

I understand they have to worry about cities first and foremost for the money. However, the semirural and suburban areas they've covered for over a decade must also get some attention soon.

At least fill in gaps, aim to get full LTE and 1x800 within the current coverage borders including with new or co-existing macro sites. Screw mid-band and Spark for everyone, that's not realistic. But on average, at least a bar or two of 800 LTE and 1xAdvanced available for a customer within a coverage area is far more than good enough for starts. Some Spark only where needed but all 800/1900 LTE available. Any new low band could technically slightly expand the edge of their footprint. This could make a lot of people still leaning on AT&T and Verizon happy and confident to switch. 

I hope I'm not too fanatical but I think that's very well possible if not planned with NGN. Make what they have is great and don't worry about covering grandmother's house over the river and through the woods. Get the commuters and suburban users LTE coverage from work to home where they've have CDMA and EV-DO forever already. 

• Like 2

For sure. And the only thing that would keep my faith is if they commit to improving their entire footprint and not selling out to be a city-carrier. My point essentially agrees with yours but I emphasize wanting Sprint to improve to the very edge of their current footprint.

I understand they have to worry about cities first and foremost for the money. However, the semirural and suburban areas they've covered for over a decade must also get some attention soon.

At least fill in gaps, aim to get full LTE and 1x800 within the current coverage borders including with new or co-existing macro sites. Screw mid-band and Spark for everyone, that's not realistic. But on average, at least a bar or two of 800 LTE and 1xAdvanced available for a customer within a coverage area is far more than good enough for starts. Some Spark only where needed but all 800/1900 LTE available. Any new low band could technically slightly expand the edge of their footprint. This could make a lot of people still leaning on AT&T and Verizon happy and confident to switch.

I hope I'm not too fanatical but I think that's very well possible if not planned with NGN. Make what they have is great and don't worry about covering grandmother's house over the river and through the woods. Get the commuters and suburban users LTE coverage from work to home where they've have CDMA and EV-DO forever already.

Idk who posted it a few days ago or so but they mentioned that a role reversal between Sprint and T-Mobile could happen where Sprint could be know as the city carrier. I hope not though.

Was there any plans for sprint to expand coverage outside of densifying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Here:

Sprint and T-Mobile are trading places -- in both perception and reality.  We have already seen Sprint drop to fourth, T-Mobile rise to third.  T-Mobile finally is improving its rural network beyond "2G" -- much like Sprint did twice over, first with EV-DO, then with LTE.  And in the near future what I see Sprint becoming is the "city" operator -- much like T-Mobile has been for the last several years.  Sprint is not going to engage in a massive rural buildout.  Sprint will focus its ample band 41 resources on cities, aim to be the network speed/capacity king in those cities, and try to thrive in that category.

AJ

And I hope that eluded to rural and insignificant areas and not to the entire network as a whole. Otherwise AT&T and Verizon users ought to sit tight and hope for the best. 

And likewise, I'm not concerned about expanding outward, my point was wanting them to fill in gaps and expand "inward". 

Edited by cortney
  • Like 1

Here:

And I hope that eluded to rural and insignificant areas and not to the entire network as a whole. Otherwise AT&T and Verizon users ought to sit tight and hope for the best.

And likewise, I'm not concerned about expanding outward, my point was wanting them to fill in gaps and expand "inward".

Ahh thank you for that. There's plenty of gaps to fill and that's probably when the cells come into play starting next year.

• Like 2

I'm very glad to see that at least in the Chicago market, Sprint is converting their two 5x5 PCS over to one 10x10 for LTE.

I'm wondering though how much PCS total Sprint has in most markets. I'm still thinking that someone here in the past told me that in the Chicago market, Sprint has another 5x5 PCS in use for CDMA and 2G/3G which once VoLTE is established, Sprint could use for extra LTE, making it a 15x15 PCS for LTE.

My understanding of what I've been told regarding Sprint's PCS, is there was an extra 5x5 from the US Cellular deal here in the Chicago market for a combined total of 30mhz, while most of the country is 20mhz, though I could be wrong about that. I'm definitely having a better outlook on the PCS situation if 10x10 could become a reality in many places, rather than remain at 5x5.

Just to catch up on the band 41 as well. With 2x CA, is the total mhz that could be used 20mhz, or 40mhz? I think once Sprint gets really great usage of their spectrum, they could use these figures in their ads, especially powerful ones as has been discussed recently in this thread.

I'm very glad to see that at least in the Chicago market, Sprint is converting their two 5x5 PCS over to one 10x10 for LTE.

I'm wondering though how much PCS total Sprint has in most markets. I'm still thinking that someone here in the past told me that in the Chicago market, Sprint has another 5x5 PCS in use for CDMA and 2G/3G which once VoLTE is established, Sprint could use for extra LTE, making it a 15x15 PCS for LTE.

My understanding of what I've been told regarding Sprint's PCS, is there was an extra 5x5 from the US Cellular deal here in the Chicago market for a combined total of 30mhz, while most of the country is 20mhz, though I could be wrong about that. I'm definitely having a better outlook on the PCS situation if 10x10 could become a reality in many places, rather than remain at 5x5.

Just to catch up on the band 41 as well. With 2x CA, is the total mhz that could be used 20mhz, or 40mhz? I think once Sprint gets really great usage of their spectrum, they could use these figures in their ads, especially powerful ones as has been discussed recently in this thread.

Remember, in many areas, the spectrum is not contiguous, therefore anything wider than 10x10 or even 5x5 may not be possible.

The widest B41 channel is 20MHz. That is the widest LTE channel currently certified. 

• Like 1

Remember, in many areas, the spectrum is not contiguous, therefore anything wider than 10x10 or even 5x5 may not be possible.

The widest B41 channel is 20MHz. That is the widest LTE channel currently certified.

Thanks for the information!

I see there being more benefit to Sprint now with their PCS, if they were to merge with T-Mobile. I'd still like for T-Mobile to continue spectrum swapping with AT&T, perhaps even with T-Mobile trading their AWS-3 to AT&T for more AWS-1, or even more PCS, if AT&T has PCS. That would go to making a stronger merger for Sprint, especially in getting more PCS hopefully for wider channels.

Isn't the first B25 carrier staying 5x5 and the second becoming 10x10?

I think that is how it is, though the remaining 5x5 someone here once told me is in use for voice, etc. If so, then of course it'll remain as is. However, once VoLTE is available on Sprint and is stable, then perhaps it could be used for 15x15 LTE.

I think that is how it is, though the remaining 5x5 someone here once told me is in use for voice, etc. If so, then of course it'll remain as is. However, once VoLTE is available on Sprint and is stable, then perhaps it could be used for 15x15 LTE.

That's not how it works. The initial G Block 5x5 will remain, as I don't believe there is any adjacent spectrum available to Sprint in the Chicago market. However, the B block spectrum acquired from USCC was 10x10. The original second carrier in the USCC spectrum was 5x5, but has now been expanded to the whole 10x10. You'll need to look up AJ's article on the USCC spectrum acquisition as well as the 10x10 article to get the all of the details, I don't remember them all right now.

• Like 2

I really don't know what people's expectations are supposed to be. Sprint must expand while trying to be profitable. That's not easy in their position.

For those talking expand do we mean rural, suburbs, or boonies?

I am now located in a much more suburban/rural location.

As far coverage I get b41 throughout most of the house, never see speeds below 60. Issue at hand is we have mountains so someplaces are 800/1900/26 others are 3G.

Sprint would be STUPID to start putting small cells on telephone poles out here to cover mile stretch. I would much rather blanket the metro areas where there are thousands of customers.

When they are done if they have any left over they can hook us up. From a financial point start in the cities and move out. HOWEVER, with all the delays and permits get them approved everywhere and if a delay happenes in the city the move to the next. Get as much down without wasting time

• Like 6

That's not how it works. The initial G Block 5x5 will remain, as I don't believe there is any adjacent spectrum available to Sprint in the Chicago market. However, the B block spectrum acquired from USCC was 10x10. The original second carrier in the USCC spectrum was 5x5, but has now been expanded to the whole 10x10. You'll need to look up AJ's article on the USCC spectrum acquisition as well as the 10x10 article to get the all of the details, I don't remember them all right now.

I completely misunderstood this, which I am starting to understand a bit better now. I spent some time this morning searching out spectrum charts which I'm now actually finding online, whereas when I did this some months ago, I just wasn't getting the same results.

From looking at how there are all of these different bands, keeping in mind I'm not a spectrum expert and I never claim to be, even though it is a major interest I have, are these spectrum bands decided upon by the FCC? Is the FCC technically capable of changing these bands around?

What I'm wondering, for instance, a country such as North Korea decided to have a state-owned carrier, one which could have tons of spectrum. Are they technically capable of allowing this carrier to have, as a further example, 1700mhz-1800mhz and make a 45x45 wide channel out of it with guard bands in place?

I have some ideas, but I want to know if this is technically possible, or if it is the way we see it in the U.S. because the FCC technically has to have it the way they do with all the different bands and such divided up differently.

Carrier width and band standards are defined by 3GPP, and the max width for a single LTE carrier is 20MHz. There's no such thing as a 45MHz carrier.

If a cellular carrier has multiple blocks of contiguous spectrum they can use it in any way they want to. They aren't bound by the blocks the FCC has defined for auction purposes.

• Like 2

Carrier width and band standards are defined by 3GPP, and the max width for a single LTE carrier is 20MHz. There's no such thing as a 45MHz carrier.

If a cellular carrier has multiple blocks of contiguous spectrum they can use it in any way they want to. They aren't bound by the blocks the FCC has defined for auction purposes.

That helps. So the 3gpp decides this. I'm curious now though if a country wanted to have their own standards, despite potential conflict with handset makers, could they theoretically change these standards for themselves to allow for over a 20mhz carrier, or is that bound technically, rather than by set standards?

I find it odd that Sprint is responding to some comments.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=987008354668841&id=193742123995472

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I hate to say it, but when Sprint replies to negative clickbait articles about it, with comments from them like this :

Sprint

Harry Singh - Are you in need of assistance? If so, please let us know, we're here to help. - Owen

7 · Hide · 1 hour ago

It just continued making Sprint out to be a laughing stock. By the way, Harry Singh's comment was :

Harry Singh

Here at Tmobile we get unlimited supply of yogurt and other things.

23 · Hide · 1 hour ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3r4ye9/sprint_hd_calling_works_when_roaming_on_sprint/

I'd say that's a good indicator that we'll see LTE roaming with USCC soon.

What's the big thing about US Cellular? T-Mobile users want it and Sprint users want the roaming agreement. Is there something I'm missing?