Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

You are right about Sprint needing to compete with T-Mobile, which having unlimited music streaming certainly would help with that, which some people would consider it a necessity that I completely understand.

However, there has been a debate going around here from time to time over the issue of unlimited streaming music conflicting with net neutrality, which I've struggled with trying to form an opinion about as both sides have good and bad points to say about it.

Due to that, I've gone about deciding to take the issue differently. Instead of bothering with forming an opinion based on the complexities and realities of net neutrality and all the various conflicting opinions about it, I decided instead to think how a carrier could price their rate plans to be more accommodating to the needs people have.

I've come up with a solution that treats all data equally if carriers would choose a low base rate, then offer an affordable per gb rate on top of that, similar to Google Fi's structure, but at a much less expensive per gb rate. That way, everyone could afford plenty of music streaming, while treating other forms of data fairly, and also help keep networks from congestion due to what many here consider to be caused by the "data abuse" often done by those with unlimited data plans.

Of course, there is that whole debate too between sides of that, which like with the net neutrality debate, I believe in the same simple solution of the rate plan example I just made. Yet, it is the carriers who need to make that choice. I blame the carriers who choose not to do so, rather than blame the user. So as long as unlimited music streaming is offered, I say go ahead and stream away, so long as no violations of the terms of service are being done.

I don't think music streaming causes much congestion. Each song 2-8MB. Burst of high speed for like 3 seconds?

Now where T-Mobile screwed up was uncapping speedtest with it not metering data usage for speedtests.

Every T-Mobile user I see now pulls their phone out and run speedtests to check their speed. The network has degraded so much from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I highly doubt Comcast would buy sprint. It would take too much time and money.

Riding on VZW as an MVNO would give a quicker ramp up with less CS issues. And no large infrastructure to deal with.

I agree with you that Comcast would be better as an MVNO of Verizon. Although, it seems that plenty of these writer-analysts are not giving up on the notion of Comcast being its own wireless company with its own network. So based on that, it seems Sprint is the best choice financially and with plenty of spectrum. Yet, if Comcast really wanted that superpower wireless network to form the ultimate company, Verizon would be the way to go without having to invest much on the network.

Speaking of MVNOs, I agree that it makes sense for Sprint either to merge Boost and Virgin together or even to merge them with Sprint Prepaid. I'm not a fan of carrier-owned MVNOs. Just makes more confusion for the customer seeking service. Better to call them Prepaid under the carrier name.

• Like 1

I don't think music streaming causes much congestion. Each song 2-8MB. Burst of high speed for like 3 seconds?

Now where T-Mobile screwed up was uncapping speedtest with it not metering data usage for speedtests.

Every T-Mobile user I see now pulls their phone out and run speedtests to check their speed. The network has degraded so much from this.

I don't believe music streaming causes much congestion either, though it's mainly an issue of free music streaming being fair or not under net neutrality, as some people here have expressed before and have been against T-Mobile doing it.

The congestion complaints mainly have been due to unlimited plans being offered. I personally don't mind them, though if they are a problem for the networks, then I blame the carriers offering it more than I blame the users, as long as the users are not violating the terms of service.

I think the reason T-Mobile decided to include free Speedtest is so its customers can freely show off its network speeds to others, without those customers having it count against their data. It's basically free advertising for T-Mobile. Yet, the result of it is that so many people are doing so, that it actually congests the network, making it slow down!

Still, some people say John Legere is a genius. ????

Certain T-Mobile representatives have become really arrogant, likely as a result of T-Mobile's growth and "hip" image, where they feel like they must defend the company as "its cool to represent the uncarrier, and any talk against it needs to be represented" Like "Represent, and fight back against those who dare diss the mighty uncarrier".

It is similar to some of Verizon's staff, though the arrogance is more snotty at Verizon, less hip groupie-like. Staff from both companies are likely to be defensive of their coverage in their own unique style of arrogance. Like a hippie versus a yuppie.

Wow, you nailed that!  :tu:

• Like 2

Geeze before Marcelo got in, Sprint was like one big ol party within corporate. Oh my.

The looks on their faces when Marcelo said no more limos use Uber to get around on business trips. df713e2b7a2e5e59defd89e04405843d.jpg

• Like 4

The employment issue is one of the few issues I really don't have much of an opinion on, other than to say I wish the economic system was different in this country and world. However, this I admit, is fantasy thinking.

Nice to have. But who could complain about 25/6?

Not me certainly! I only took the Speedtest because my connection seemed so fast and then did a Speedtest with my wife's phone to see how good her B41 performance was so her result was a real surprise
  • Like 1

The employment issue is one of the few issues I really don't have much of an opinion on, other than to say I wish the economic system was different in this country and world. However, this I admit, is fantasy thinking.

I would not complain but tmobile users would be like that's slow. There is nothing 20 mbps can't do that makes 60 mbps relevant. Unless your downloading a massive file, that's the only time you would see a difference. But it does mean there is plenty of capacity to go around so I will take that 60 mbps anyday.

Not me certainly! I only took the Speedtest because my connection seemed so fast and then did a Speedtest with my wife's phone to see how good her B41 performance was so her result was a real surprise

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I would not complain but tmobile users would be like that's slow. There is nothing 20 mbps can't do that makes 60 mbps relevant. Unless your downloading a massive file, that's the only time you would see a difference. But it does mean there is plenty of capacity to go around so I will take that 60 mbps anyday.

Terrell, did you not intend to quote me, or did your response to me not appear?

LOL I recently got a line on T-Mobile and now I notice that when I get 10mbps speeds, I think that's slow.  

• Like 2

LOL I recently got a line on T-Mobile and now I notice that when I get 10mbps speeds, I think that's slow.

Thats what happens. I also think its slow but on Sprint its considered fast. Carrier perception.

• Like 1

No quote. Stupid Tapatalk hehehe

Ah ok. I see that Tapatalk page appear every time I visit S4GRU after clearing the browser history, but I haven't got it at all. What exactly is Tapatalk and does it make S4GRU look better? If so, I might try it, because I'm not exactly fond of the site's layout.

I like S4GRU and respect this site very much. Although, I prefer a wider style on the desktop version. Actually, I ended up preferring the mobile version because of there not being any blank theming areas on the sides of each page. Yet, I miss some of the viewable features on the desktop version by using the mobile version.

Since some forum software doesn't allow for extensive theming, I wondered if Tapatalk showed some of the missing desktop version theme elements that the mobile version doesn't show.

I still prefer this forum software to the others.

BTW, I wonder if there will be any big news this week, besides the Droid announcements.

It does make it better in aesthetics but it I use it because its eash to post pics of my findings.

• Like 3

It does make it better in ascetics...

Yes, we are popular with ascetics.  It is one of their few indulgences.  The Buddha even lurks at S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 3