Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Hum, I assume these plans will replace family share. Do existing family share users get moved over to these plans? I have a pretty good deal right now but not running the risk of overages is always attractive since my wife burned through ~9 GB of data in 2 days when we were traveling.

I reached out to ask about this and didn't get good news. These plans are a new Soc code, so anyone on family share currently or cut you bill in half is held to the terms they agreed to on those plans. If current customers want the unlimited 2g they must switch to the new plan and will loose specials like waived access fees or their CYBIH price.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I reached out to ask about this and didn't get good news. These plans are a new Soc code, so anyone on family share currently or cut you bill in half is held to the terms they agreed to on those plans. If current customers want the unlimited 2g they must switch to the new plan and will loose specials like waived access fees or their CYBIH price.

Dang...I don't see why Sprint just automatically push that to all plans that were on a set GB per month or at least the cut your bill folks. I love Sprint dearly but with every change it makes you hold on to what you have currently for dear life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

New plans are always like this.  You have the option of keeping your current plan or switching to the new one.  You can't cherry pick the parts that you like.

Dang...I don't see why Sprint just automatically push that to all plans that were on a set GB per month or at least the cut your bill folks. I love Sprint dearly but with every change it makes you hold on to what you have currently for dear life.

I wouldn't disagree with you. Look at the large number of plan changes since Framily.....$50 iPhone Unlimited $60 Unlimited, $70 Unlimited, Family Share, New Family Share....that's quite a bit of change for consumers to absorb over little more than a year. Sprint is running the risk of marketplace confusion at this point....they really need to settle on plans and pricing and stick with them.

• Like 11

Let me clarify - I applaud the moves Sprint has taken. All have made their plans more consumer-friendly or helped to increase yield for Sprint with no downside for the customer. However, this does not diminish the negative impact that such a large number of plan changes in such a short amount of time has on consumers.

• Like 1

Get used to it. The carriers are shifting from changing the offers they had in phones to draw customers in to using the plans to draw customers in. You'll keep seeing plans change and shift until carriers find another method of getting customers in their stores.

• Like 3

the unlimited 2g sounds like a good plan for those who want it.

I hope the 2g is usable though, nothing worse than putting yourself on a capped plan, then getting throttled down to an unusable 2g speed.

Also, I can still see the sprint haters saying 'how awesome now you can get unlimited 2g on sprints already super slow lte network!'

• Like 4

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/portland-or/2015/2H

Hmm..

Sad..  Sprint gets 19.7mbps (from 7.7mbps), even faster than Verizon, yet they trail Verizon and Magenta in the speed ratings?  Maybe uploads were not as good, or their testing scores are messed up!

That's quite an impressive jump.

Hmm..

Sad.. Sprint gets 19.7mbps (from 7.7mbps), even faster than Verizon, yet they trail Verizon and Magenta in the speed ratings? Maybe uploads were not as good, or their testing scores are messed up!

It takes the median speeds, rather than the average. As a result, there could have been, overall, more speeds that were slower than Verizon's average score. Either that, or it's taking into consideration upload speeds, too. Which I don't see it always mention.

Regardless, the RootMetrics grading scale has been adjusted it seems to an undisclosed level. Meaning, Sprint's performance in a market could be identical to their results 6 months ago, but they'll get a lower RootMetrics score because I believe the scale for which the results are based on has increased.

• Like 1

Hmm..

Sad..  Sprint gets 19.7mbps (from 7.7mbps), even faster than Verizon, yet they trail Verizon and Magenta in the speed ratings?  Maybe uploads were not as good, or their testing scores are messed up!

That 19.7mbps is the median download speed.  It is possible that half or more than half the speedtests were on b41 and the other half was on slower or congested b25/b26.  This would keep a high median speed but average speeds would be lower when on b25 and b26.

*edit - ^^^ beaten

The media is straight trashing Sprint for this new plan. Look at the Verge for example.

If you are going to say that, post a link to the freaking article.  Do not tease us.

AJ

• Like 1

Update at 4PM, Thursday, October 29: Clarified that T-Mobile advertises "unlimited" data for its 1GB Simple Choice plan on its website, but not in the name of the plan itself.

• Like 1

Nice to see people call that article out on its bs and say that T-Mobile is doing the same thing. What I'm trying to figure it is whoever wrote that article must have thought happened on a T-Mobile plan that had a set high speed data limit?

It's actually so funny. I was one of the first people to call out that T-Mobile advertises its plans as Unlimited the same way, even quoting directly from their site. The writer seems to just be looking for a reason to be mad at Sprint since they haven't really given reason to lately.

• Like 6

I thought that The Verge was a more intellectual site, above the "click bait" headlines of BGR, etc.  I guess not.

And writer Nick Statt may not be an idiot.  But he was wearing his idiot cap today, also grinding his axe against Sprint.

AJ

• Like 6

I thought that The Verge was a more intellectual site, above the "click bait" headlines of BGR, etc. I guess not.

And writer Nick Statt may not be an idiot. But he was wearing his idiot cap today, also grinding his axe against Sprint.

AJ

It almost reads like an advertorial. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the author was compensated for the piece. It happens all the time.

It almost reads like an advertorial. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the author was compensated for the piece. It happens all the time.

Look at these citations from the article:

That's 2G as in second generation or, you know, the mobile data speed that first launched in Finland 24 years ago. In other words, you'll be stuck using the speed tier that is in the process of being phased out worldwide so telecom companies can repurpose those portions of the spectrum for technology people actually use.

No one in the US buying Sprint service could justifiably subsist on 2G speeds, which tends to clock in at 10 to 30Kbps and takes around 8 minutes to send a 5MB file.

Forget the incorrect grammar.  This guy dashed off an article with seemingly little knowledge or research.

Sprint is not bumping throttled users down to a "2G" but technically "3G" CDMA1X airlink.  The throttle rate is 128 kbps -- that is on LTE and is toward the mid to high end of throughput on CDMA1X.

I think this writer has GSM/GPRS/EDGE on the brain.  Poorly informed and highly biased...

AJ

• Like 12

I thought that The Verge was a more intellectual site, above the "click bait" headlines of BGR, etc. I guess not.

And writer Nick Statt may not be an idiot. But he was wearing his idiot cap today, also grinding his axe against Sprint.

AJ

They got a LOT more editorial-focused a few months ago. One of the reasons I stopped visiting.
  • Like 1

They got a LOT more editorial-focused a few months ago. One of the reasons I stopped visiting.

I just did some further research on The Verge.  I think I knew that Comcast has financial influence over Vox Media, which owns The Verge.  But I did not realize until now that founder Joshua Topolsky had departed and left The Verge in other editorial hands.

AJ

• Like 5

I just did some further research on The Verge. I think I knew that Comcast has financial influence over Vox Media, which owns The Verge. But I did not realize until now that founder Joshua Topolsky had departed and left The Verge in other editorial hands.

AJ

Basically when Vox bought re/code a few months ago, they decided to send the Verge in a more editorial/cultural direction and re/code as the tech reporting site.
  • Like 1