Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/10/john-legere-will-use-t-mobile-plane-to-skywrite-a-message-above-verizons-headquarters/

Trolling at the highest level yet I think it's funny at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that!

I agree with those on TmoNews posting comments about how this is just another tiring circus act by John Legere.

Besides, overages are not necessarily bad. It is the cost of overages which determines that. A single base plan price point with just the talk&text is best, then a low per gb rate with that.

• Like 1

My assumption based off of your assumption (  :lol:  ) is that the customer in question uses an Airave?

They had an Android smartphone....not sure if they use an Airave at home or not. How does this make a difference?

He works for Sprint.

We were told on 10/15 family share plans were expiring 10/22 and 10/23 new plans would launch. Then they pushed it til 10/30 but sent a poster which gives a hint of what is to come and told us not to display until 10/30. The poster list unlimited data with 1gb high speed for just $20 and unlimited talk and text for $20. In the small print it says data limited to 2g speeds after 1gb and never worry about overages again.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Thanks for posting that!

I agree with those on TmoNews posting comments about how this is just another tiring circus act by John Legere.

Besides, overages are not necessarily bad. It is the cost of overages which determines that. A single base plan price point with just the talk&text is best, then a low per gb rate with that.

I was expecting a laugh from it but I could barely see the writing in the sky.

• Like 4

We were told on 10/15 family share plans were expiring 10/22 and 10/23 new plans would launch. Then they pushed it til 10/30 but sent a poster which gives a hint of what is to come and told us not to display until 10/30. The poster list unlimited data with 1gb high speed for just $20 and unlimited talk and text for $20. In the small print it says data limited to 2g speeds after 1gb and never worry about overages again.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This would be grand.  Hopefully Sprint will still give the option to pay more for high-speed data, when/if needed.  That's something Sprint's always been good about.  The ability to choose.

• Like 3

They had an Android smartphone....not sure if they use an Airave at home or not. How does this make a difference?

I went through this exact issue. 

If LTE is weak, the phone tries to hang onto that LTE signal and will refuse to grab the signal from the Airave.  The answer to this is to disable LTE, and the phone instantly grabs the Airave.

• Like 2

This would be grand. Hopefully Sprint will still give the option to pay more for high-speed data, when/if needed. That's something Sprint's always been good about. The ability to choose.

I hope that option is given too. I don't dislike the unlimited 2g fallback option, just don't get rid of overages, make them more affordable.

On a separate note....I'm not expert on cellular technologies, however....I think I just heard one of my favorite Sprint store managers give absolutely incorrect information to a customer. Someone who knows more than me please correct me if my assumption that this is blatantly incorrect is...incorrect. Here's what I heard the manager tell a Sprint customer:

Surely this isn't a line endorsed by Sprint corporate??? Sprint isn't using VoLTE in Virginia (if at all, anywhere) so all calls go over CDMA anyway....so this makes no sense to me.

Switching to a CDMA1X/EV-DO mode would not help with dropped calls.  But it could help with missed calls due to weak LTE signal for e/CSFB.

AJ

• Like 5

I'll gladly get a tablet on Sprint if the data is unlimited yet throttled.

• Like 1

I would assume Sprint will use the same definition for 2G as Boost and Virgin and it's 128kbps for them. So still theoretically fast enough for low-quality (96kbps) music streaming.

• Like 1

We’ve also encouraged people, if they find us doing stupid things, to write to us. You’d be amazed at the amount of emails we get on a weekly basis.

I actually snorted out loud reading this.

I know every company does a lot of stupid things, but it was just funny to see a Marcelo publicly acknowledge the amount of stupidity they get notified about on a weekly basis and sound proud of that.

(I understand he is proud of getting people to provide feedback and fixing broken things, not necessarily the amount of broken things).

• Like 5

Just out of curiosity, would a bump in speed to 1.5mbps be too much for an unlimited carryover after the initial high-speed data allotment is used? 128kbps isn't even enough for hq music/mp3 streaming. I just don't see how ending overages are going to be good for these plans, at least offer the option for it, or make the speed cap more usable.

Just out of curiosity, would a bump in speed to 1.5mbps be too much for an unlimited carryover after the initial high-speed data allotment is used? 128kbps isn't even enough for hq music/mp3 streaming. I just don't see how ending overages are going to be good for these plans, at least offer the option for it, or make the speed cap more usable.

If you NEED more high speed data, you can just change your plan at any point with no penalty. I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Bill certainty is much more important to more customers. It has worked well for T-Mobile, so Sprint would be stupid not to do it as well. 128Kb is plenty to keep the device usable (gps, email, even social media). You need higher speeds for most all streaming, so if that is important to you...then you can just upgrade your plan.

• Like 1

On a separate note....I'm not expert on cellular technologies, however....I think I just heard one of my favorite Sprint store managers give absolutely incorrect information to a customer. Someone who knows more than me please correct me if my assumption that this is blatantly incorrect is...incorrect. Here's what I heard the manager tell a Sprint customer:

Surely this isn't a line endorsed by Sprint corporate??? Sprint isn't using VoLTE in Virginia (if at all, anywhere) so all calls go over CDMA anyway....so this makes no sense to me.

It won't help with dropped calls, but it will help with missed calls. I don't know why, or even what causes it but eCSFB still doesn't always work. I would guess its because of a weak LTE signal.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hope that option is given too. I don't dislike the unlimited 2g fallback option, just don't get rid of overages, make them more affordable.

Yes, get rid of overages. They could set it up to purchase additional high speed data. An overage is typically a surprise on the bill, if you have to go and pay for extra data you know up front exactly what you're spending. Overages are the number one reason I kept my family on framily with unlimited data, surprise charges suck for budgeting.

• Like 4

If you NEED more high speed data, you can just change your plan at any point with no penalty. I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Bill certainty is much more important to more customers. It has worked well for T-Mobile, so Sprint would be stupid not to do it as well. 128Kb is plenty to keep the device usable (gps, email, even social media). You need higher speeds for most all streaming, so if that is important to you...then you can just upgrade your plan.

This was one of my few posts without opinion, really. Although I'll say that the idea of having people switching plans based on usage isn't necessary if only a carrier would adopt to a basic plan which customers pay a low per gb rate towards.

Carriers that do not offer this, have to rely on bucket plans customers switch between, which isn't very convenient for the customer nor the billing department. Although hopefully Sprint will at least provide more options than T-Mobile as Sprint currently does, and continue doing so after the plan changes later this week.

Yes, get rid of overages. They could set it up to purchase additional high speed data. An overage is typically a surprise on the bill, if you have to go and pay for extra data you know up front exactly what you're spending. Overages are the number one reason I kept my family on framily with unlimited data, surprise charges suck for budgeting.

Yeah, get rid of surprise overages for sure. I agree too on allowing customers to purchase additional high speed data. This, along with having an unlimited 2g plan would be great for customers. Yet, I still think the 2g speed could be raised somewhat. At least enough to support streaming music, though not video as that takes up more network resources. Doing this way is better I think than saying "music freedom", etc.

Wall Street Journal interview with Claure

The CEO revealed that he removed reserved parking spaces for Sprint executives and made them walk "half a kilometer" to their office like regular employees.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-plan-to-fix-sprint-1445824911

Don't know what I think about this. It probably will help change the culture which is good, but a lot of higher up people have earned their position, work a lot harder doing things that add value to the stockholders, come in earlier and stay later, and travel frequently so they need to re-work throughout the day. These are of course generalizations but they generally hold true.
  • Like 4

This would be great! I like that Sprint is clearing all my pain points with it one by one. I wish I was in a B26 market and that would be icing on the cake. I never wanted to switch off of unlimited because I hate overages. This will help users get off their unlimited plans. Just hope this won't kill their profit in the meantime.