Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I admire T-mobile but apart of me feels that everything that he does (lately which has been promo perks) is to ensure people don't sign up and then leave once they find the holes in the network ( as with all carriers, some more than others). It looks like now he's being backed into a wall (unlike a year ago when this was fresh and new)  by the other 3 as they adjust their plans and bring rates down and that makes people question why T-Mobile when I can go to Verizon, Sprint or AT&T for around the same price.

The fuel in T-mobile is slowly running out so if giving things away is what they need to do to mask up their network imperfections then by all means have at it.

But as I always say to some of the diehard T-Mobile/Sprint/Verizon/ AT&T fans. Can we all just get along and enjoy our respective service??

• Like 9

Because AT&T and Verizon are solid networks and T-Mobile is incredibly fast in Metro areas. Sprint, in it's current state, is not quite there yet.

It is a raw deal for Sprint considering the huge potential they have but potential doesn't mean much until it is realized.

Sprint is there in many markets. Not all markets. And that's why they are now competing on price. And it is getting better every month. So the value just keeps building and building. Even a slack jawed yokel can grasp that.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

It's already being discussed in another thread. It's not included. And it is valid because it is $20 cheaper. Most people don't even need tethering. And if they do, they can pay for it on Sprint. Or go to Tmo.

The issue here is that Sprint's tethering plans haven't changed in awhile, and as a result aren't competitive when you add them on. Heck, making the 5GB package cost $30 (so unl + 5GB would be $90 vs. $80) would work. But tiers are less than generous at this point. At least make the $19.99 pack 3GB so Legere can't tweet back with "well we offer more than double the tethering data for the same price". *shrugs*

• Like 1

Sprint is there in many markets. Not all markets. And that's why they are now competing on price. And it is getting better every month. So the value just keeps building and building. Even a slack jawed yokel can grasp that.

No disagreement here. Austin has really started to turn around and the drops to 3g are almost zero for me now.

You do realize that EVERY CARRIER offers cheaper rate plans when you have to pay for your device without subsity. Hell, that's the ONLY way to get service with T-Mobile.

I don't understand why it's ok that Tmo, AT&T and Verizon can get away with that, but when Sprint follows suit, the world ends?

That's my point exactly. It's not disruptive and it's not a huge advantage for Sprint. It's status quo. That in itself is a problem and the only thing I wish they would have been more aggressive about pricing trying to steal customers because as the boss knows, the network won't steal any customers right now with the perception being putrid.

The plans aren't bad - if you like sprint. If you dislike sprint they won't make you really look twice unless you want unlimited. I think that's already been the case though.

• Like 2

so for those of us long time customers who have no reason to ever switch to something like the Family Share Pack, how long until Sprint stops allowing us to keep using grandfathered-in plans?

Considering how long people have had some REALLY damn old plans here I would guess you are fine for quite a while.

• Like 2

Not necessarily. It says the charge for switching with a subsidized phone is "up to $25/month" so older phones or mid-tier phones mgiht be less. I have an S4, so it might make sense for someone like me to switch since I doubt that would be the full $25 with the S5 already a few months old.

Could be, so assuming you only have to pay $15 instead of 25, saving you $5 per month, you lose the 300 meg data roaming (vs 100 meg) and potential de-prioritization.

Considering how long people have had some REALLY damn old plans here I would guess you are fine for quite a while.

I ask this because I've noticed that in the stores, they will no longer allow you to use a grandfathered-in plan if you buy a device with Easy Pay.  This can be undone by calling Sprint, but evidently the corporate store's system does not allow adding new devices purchased through Easy Pay to old plans.

You do realize that EVERY CARRIER offers cheaper rate plans when you have to pay for your device without subsity. Hell, that's the ONLY way to get service with T-Mobile.

I don't understand why it's ok that Tmo, AT&T and Verizon can get away with that, but when Sprint follows suit, the world ends?

The Sprint was the last to do it, so they're just the last to get shit for it.  Goodbye era of subsidy.  Hello to actually price shopping smartphones.

• Like 2

Sprint introduces a plan that is 25% cheaper than the competition and people still complain. Those are the people who will never be impressed.

that this plan is of no benefit to current customers is why some folks will "complain" about it.  I don't think it's unfair that current customers would like to see something sweeten the pot for them to remain Sprint customers.  as it stands, this Family Share Pack plan does not do that. 

• Like 1

A lot of us are still on SERO and this new plan won't get anyone to switch off of it.  SERO is $55/mo with a subsidized phone and unlimited data.  I hope it never goes away. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they don't kick people off old plans. I have a friend with a feature phone who I think has been on the same $35/month plan (old enough that I think it doesn't even include roaming!) for over a decade, and he upgraded on contract last year.

Anyway, this may be the plan I finally need to move off my Everything Data Share 1500 and save money... assuming I can find a cheap plan on a feature phone for my other line of service.

Sprint introduces a plan that is 25% cheaper than the competition and people still complain. Those are the people who will never be impressed.

Hum, that is one way of looking at it. I made my little spreadsheet after seeing how many people complained about the price. To me the biggest thing about these family plans is that the employer discount can be HUGE for some people. For me, I can have 2 lines with a total of 24 GB for only SEVENTY SEVEN ($77) DOLLARS! (I think I am convincing myself to pull the trigger). That is cheaper than T-Mobiles 1 GB per phone plan for 2 lines!

However, I can definitely see that current subs can get a real stick in the ass when they see the calculated savings for new subs over a promotional period or for heavy data users on a Framily unlimited line looking at this as an inferior plan which is in some ways correct.

Many people here and on other Sprint user forums are on cheaper historic plans and see this as a price increase or see the family shared data as losing unlimited which is accurate and totally fine. I want Sprint to succeed but the real question is are these plans enough to help them succeed? I am leaning towards maybe right now and yes depending on how discounts to the individual plans are applied and if they consider allowing tethering for individual plans.

It's already being discussed in another thread. It's not included. And it is valid because it is $20 cheaper. Most people don't even need tethering. And if they do, they can pay for it on Sprint. Or go to Tmo.

I disagree a bit. Mobile hotspot is a great value add. A good T-Mobile rep can use that as a stick to wack Sprint with and get a customer shoping around, especially since T-Mobile is only 10 dollars more for the next year.

I would worry about getting stuck on a shrinking framily too, sprint is going to keep framily but not actively push it. All the posters, rate plans and collateral that say framily have to go in the dumpster tonight. And there is that rumor that GorDon murdered the Frobinsons....

I'm on a framily plan, and while it would suck if people left and my bill became more expensive, I'll never be "stuck" on framily as I'm not in a contract and I could always change my rate plan with Sprint.

• Like 2

I disagree a bit. Mobile hotspot is a great value add. A good T-Mobile rep can use that as a stick to wack Sprint with and get a customer shoping around, especially since T-Mobile is only 10 dollars more for the next year.

Actually, if you're okay with less tethering, you could just get the $50 T-Mobile plan and have unlimited with 1GB of tethering. Then when the promo wears off, see what else they have. A comparable plan on Sprint would be $70/mo, because to use your phone for tethering at all you have to have at least the $10 add-on.

• Like 1

So it seems this is his last leg to stand on... Hopefully Marcelo is fast at work to rectify it....

Check out @JohnLegere's Tweet: https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/502500719006875648

I'm loving people's replies to that tweet.

"Just make sure they don't get off the train in the suburbs, that's the EDGE."

"Plenty of people on Train T going 2MPH as well"

"Too bad in my market Train T only goes about 1 MPH. #OMAHA"

"What if train T going 2000 mph. has no services between point C and Point X ? We have to walk from point C to point X?"

"going 2000 MPH on @TMobile 2G network?? Good luck! #NewDayForData #Sprint #LearnAboutIt"

• Like 15

I'm loving people's replies to that tweet.

"Just make sure they don't get off the train in the suburbs, that's the EDGE."

"Plenty of people on Train T going 2MPH as well"

"Too bad in my market Train T only goes about 1 MPH. #OMAHA"

"What if train T going 2000 mph. has no services between point C and Point X ? We have to walk from point C to point X?"

"going 2000 MPH on @TMobile 2G network?? Good luck! #NewDayForData #Sprint #LearnAboutIt"

Quick! Everyone start posting Spark speedtests! Which, by even the most liberal estimates for TMo, would be going at 800 mph vs. T-Mo's 2000. But since wideband LTE isn't everywhere, Spark is actually faster. So maybe 2500 mph? :)

• Like 3

Hum, that is one way of looking at it. I made my little spreadsheet after seeing how many people complained about the price. To me the biggest thing about these family plans is that the employer discount can be HUGE for some people. For me, I can have 2 lines with a total of 24 GB for only SEVENTY SEVEN ($77) DOLLARS! (I think I am convincing myself to pull the trigger).

However, I can definitely see that current subs can get a real stick in the ass when they see the calculated savings for new subs over a promotional period or for heavy data users on a Framily unlimited line looking at this as an inferior plan which is in some ways correct.

Many people here and on other Sprint user forums are on cheaper historic plans and see this as a price increase or see the family shared data as losing unlimited which is accurate and totally fine. I want Sprint to succeed but the real question is are these plans enough to help them succeed? I am leaning towards maybe right now and yes depending on how discounts to the individual plans are applied.

ostensibly all of these low cost plans we're now seeing from T-Mobile, Sprint and whomever else are based upon a combination of being a new customer and not reading the fine print.  as you and I discussed last night, and as your spreadsheet illustrates, this is not something for existing subscribers.  instead, if you're dealing with another carrier with a very low data cap, you can switch to Sprint with a higher data cap and lower monthly fee.  in the case of T-Mobile, their rate doesn't include the monthly financing fee for the purchase of a device, which is something you basically cannot avoid if you're becoming a T-Mobile customer and buying a new phone.

my issue centers primarily on the folks arguing that this is a great deal for people who buy their phones outright.  I would argue that is not who Sprint is targeting with these plans.  if you're looking for cheap plans, you're not someone who's likely to have paid $650+ for a phone.  you're looking for cheap plans because you're trying to cut costs wherever possible.  that means you see $100 per month with a a good amount of monthly data and will come on-board.  that Sprint waives the monthly device fee for the first year is definitely going to make this attractive for new customers who want to save money.  but you're not getting your hair blown back by incremental savings for decent additional data if you're dropping $650 per phone with frequency.  those people are obviously not the target of these promotions. 

Could be, so assuming you only have to pay $15 instead of 25, saving you $5 per month, you lose the 300 meg data roaming (vs 100 meg) and potential de-prioritization.

For my specific case, the data roaming limit shouldn't affect me. I've only used off-network data twice in my last 12 billing cycles, most recently last November, and I doubt there would be much de-prioritizaiton in my area, I don't think Sprint has a lot fo subscribers around here. Plus I could save more than the $5/mo if my employer discount applies to any part of he new plan.

Hopefully there will be more clarity tomorrow when the new plan takes effect.

2 questions.

1. Does the new 60$ unlimited plan come with the unlimited guarantee for life?

2. If i have a old Free & Clear plan off contract & a line i just purchased that is on contract, according to the Sprint website, i would be able to migrate my 80$ My-Way plan to the new 60$ plan correct?

Thanks