Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The new individual plans should go a long way to attract new customers and help some existing ones as well.  I am pleased with the announcement.

Sprint should consider adding 3-5 gigs of hotspot to this plan as a promotion when the new iPhones come out.  That would be a pretty sweet deal that would sweeten the pot further.

• Like 1

ostensibly all of these low cost plans we're now seeing from T-Mobile, Sprint and whomever else are based upon a combination of being a new customer and not reading the fine print.  as you and I discussed last night, and as your spreadsheet illustrates, this is not something for existing subscribers.  instead, if you're dealing with another carrier with a very low data cap, you can switch to Sprint with a higher data cap and lower monthly fee.  in the case of T-Mobile, their rate doesn't include the monthly financing fee for the purchase of a device, which is something you basically cannot avoid if you're becoming a T-Mobile customer and buying a new phone.

my issue centers primarily on the folks arguing that this is a great deal for people who buy their phones outright.  I would argue that is not who Sprint is targeting with these plans.  if you're looking for cheap plans, you're not someone who's likely to have paid $650+ for a phone.  you're looking for cheap plans because you're trying to cut costs wherever possible.  that means you see $100 per month with a a good amount of monthly data and will come on-board.  that Sprint waives the monthly device fee for the first year is definitely going to make this attractive for new customers who want to save money.  but you're not getting your hair blown back by incremental savings for decent additional data if you're dropping $650 per phone with frequency.  those people are obviously not the target of these promotions. 

Well, one potential loophole option would be to switch to Ting and lock down data on your lines and then switch back to Sprint after the 30-45 day (I think?) period so you become a new customer. It honestly looks worth it to me when I look at the pricing difference there. If someone asked me if I would clamp my lines down and use no data for a month for $960 (4 lines @ 20GB over 16 months of the promotion) .. it would be an easy choice. Nothing wrong with doing this in my eyes as that is what the terms say at Sprint. I'd rather see someone do that than move to another carrier altogether.

One good thing that Sprint is doing here is working to get phones that are actually reasonably priced when their price isn't bundled into the plan's subsidy. The Aquos phone is a prime example of this: $240 per year = $10 per month = not a huge premium for the device fee on top of what you're paying for the plan.

Now, so is T-Mobile, with stuff like the Galaxy Avant, the Lumia 635 and the Galaxy Light. But Sprint is getting on the bandwagon here, and will probably promote the less expensive devices more, and work more to get interesting ones, because that's how they're positioning themselves.

• Like 9

Save $60 per month and get double the data! And I could add even up to 6 more devices...

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How could anyone come up with 6 more devices.... If anyone could its you. B)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

so for those of us long time customers who have no reason to ever switch to something like the Family Share Pack, how long until Sprint stops allowing us to keep using grandfathered-in plans?

Pure trolling man. Seriously?

Actually, if you're okay with less tethering, you could just get the $50 T-Mobile plan and have unlimited with 1GB of tethering. Then when the promo wears off, see what else they have.

How can you get unlimited on T-Mobile for $50 with 1 GB of tethering?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

One good thing that Sprint is doing here is working to get phones that are actually reasonably priced when their price isn't bundled into the plan's subsidy. The Aquos phone is a prime example of this: $240 per year = $10 per month = not a huge premium for the device fee on top of what you're paying for the plan.

Now, so is T-Mobile, with stuff like the Galaxy Avant, the Lumia 635 and the Galaxy Light. But Sprint is getting on the bandwagon here, and will probably promote the less expensive devices more, and work more to get interesting ones, because that's how they're positioning themselves.

Also keep in mind that most people don't need a new phone every two years.  For what most people do, getting 3-4 years out of a phone is not unreasonable.  In the past, there was not much incentive to keep a phone must past two years because your plan price did not go down when you went off contract.  Now with subsidies going away you will see people keeping phones longer. 

The only issue for sprint is you cannot bring your phone from another carrier like you can to T-Mobile or AT&T.  Hence you have to offer some new customer incentives to make up for it.  But used phones for sprint are relatively cheep. 

• Like 1

that this plan is of no benefit to current customers is why some folks will "complain" about it.  I don't think it's unfair that current customers would like to see something sweeten the pot for them to remain Sprint customers.  as it stands, this Family Share Pack plan does not do that. 

How is it no benefit?

Hell, $60 a month for unlimited everything, no contract. How is that NOT a good deal?

Oh wait, you're perfectly happy paying $80 on T-Mo for the exact same thing?

Give me a break.

• Like 5

$60/unlimited without a subsidy is a great idea.

It's simple.

I think they should have offered 1-2GB of hotspot as well, since T-Mobile offers something.  Keep it competitive.

Glad phone subsidies have been removed from the wireless equation now.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Their newest refer-a-friend "lifeline" promo. See here:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/08/t-mobile-offering-free-unlimited-data-refer-a-friend-deal-from-next-week/

TMo's limited plans, on Simple Choice anyway, don't care what you do with your data. So the $50 1GB plan becomes $50 1GB tethering + unlimited on-phone data, unless I'm understanding things horribly wrong.

Granted, this offer expires after a year, but at the rate things are changing, they'll have some new promo to take advantage of then.

• Like 1

That's my point exactly. It's not disruptive and it's not a huge advantage for Sprint. It's status quo. That in itself is a problem and the only thing I wish they would have been more aggressive about pricing trying to steal customers because as the boss knows, the network won't steal any customers right now with the perception being putrid.

The plans aren't bad - if you like sprint. If you dislike sprint they won't make you really look twice unless you want unlimited. I think that's already been the case though.

Why does a plan have to have a subsidy in order to be disruptive? Millions of people without subsidies or looking to get off them disagree with your logic.

• Like 2

*Technically*, every plan on T-Mobile is "unlimited", in that there is no overage charge for going over the limit (you just get throttled to 1x-like-speeds, except for Speedtest.net and some music streaming which never get throttled, regardless of plan).

So, the $50/month T-Mobile plan could be used as a 1GB tethering, plus "unlimited (1x)" data for phone, without any overage fees.

This strikes me as a bad idea, and a stretch of the language. But *technically* it would work.

• Like 1

<snip> for the exact same thing?</snip>

To quote a recently released dystopian movie, "precision of language!"

It's not equal if it doesn't have 5GB of tethering. There's also the whole UnRadio thing but having some Spotify thrown in means that that's more of a fringe issue.

I agree - outside of people  upgrading to iPhones, I suspect that equipment manufacturers are REALLY going to start competing on price.  I expect the samsung/HTC/LGs of the world are going to REALLY get squeezed - first from China's up and coming low cost manufacturers and second from a new demand for low cost phones that have a lot of value to customers.

The wireless world keeps getting more interesting.

• Like 3

*Technically*, every plan on T-Mobile is "unlimited", in that there is no overage charge for going over the limit (you just get throttled to 1x-like-speeds, except for Speedtest.net and some music streaming which never get throttled, regardless of plan).

So, the $50/month T-Mobile plan could be used as a 1GB tethering, plus "unlimited (1x)" data for phone, without any overage fees.

I'm talking specifically about the refer-a-friend promo they launched today. Not "1GB except when we feel like breaking Net Neutrality or throttling you" side of things.

I think this is where the Brightstar/Softbank/Sprint relationship will shine. I think they will be in the position to negotiate for really good bulk purchasing. Everyone keeps making comparisons with high end phones as the example. There are lots of people that walk into get phones with the intention to spend as little as possible. They are the free phone people, they never pay for the latest and greatest and never will. As wireless enthusiasts we don't really see things from that perspective, but it is a sizeable amount of subscribers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

so for those of us long time customers who have no reason to ever switch to something like the Family Share Pack, how long until Sprint stops allowing us to keep using grandfathered-in plans?

I have to agree that this appears to be trolling. Because if there is something Sprint is known for it is keeping grandfathered plans forever. Ever heard of SERO?

• Like 7

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/08/t-mobile-offering-free-unlimited-data-refer-a-friend-deal-from-next-week/

TMo's limited plans, on Simple Choice anyway, don't care what you do with your data. So the $50 1GB plan becomes $50 1GB tethering + unlimited on-phone data, unless I'm understanding things horribly wrong.

Granted, this offer expires after a year, but at the rate things are changing, they'll have some new promo to take advantage of then.

The free upgrade to unlimited data is only on the $70 5GB plan.

Here are the terms from their website: 

Limited time offer; subject to change. Qualifying Simple Choice plan required; not available for pre-paid.  Referee must register at www.T-Mobile.com/referral and identify referrer within 30 days after activation.  $10 credit provided as bill credit, starting after qualified referral.  Referee and referrer must maintain active service, and be in good standing on account, when credits are processed.  Limit one $10 monthly credit or unlimited 4G LTE offer per referrer account.  Referrer and referee must both maintain service without plan changes to continue receiving referral benefit.

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/company-news/rescue-sprint-customers.htm

If I'm reading this correctly, it look like they're giving a $10 monthly credit for 12 months for referrals. However, the jump from 1GB to unlimited 4G/LTE is $30. So unless someone is on the 5 GB plan, I don't understand how they're advertising a 'free' upgrade to unlimited 4G/LTE for everyone. I freely admit that I could very well be misunderstanding what exactly they're doing.

• Like 1

I have to agree that this appears to be trolling. Because if there is something Sprint is known for it is keeping grandfathered plans forever. Ever heard of SERO?

please read my subsequent post which explains that Sprint corporate stores (at least in NYC) do not allow customers to purchase devices using Easy Pay and add them to old plans

My question is with this new $60 individual plan, is there employer discounts?  That will definitely help.

Yeah, I am also waiting for our resident Sprint employer extraordinaire Rocket87 to get details on how it might be applied.

That's my point exactly. It's not disruptive and it's not a huge advantage for Sprint. It's status quo. That in itself is a problem and the only thing I wish they would have been more aggressive about pricing trying to steal customers because as the boss knows, the network won't steal any customers right now with the perception being putrid.

The plans aren't bad - if you like sprint. If you dislike sprint they won't make you really look twice unless you want unlimited. I think that's already been the case though.

Not to mention actually costs you more money...

Let the wireless carriers do what they do best, providing wireless service. And let apple, samsung, sharp etc etc sell phones. And if Sprint wants to finance it to me for zero cost I'm all for that.

• Like 2

I agree - outside of people  upgrading to iPhones, I suspect that equipment manufacturers are REALLY going to start competing on price.  I expect the samsung/HTC/LGs of the world are going to REALLY get squeezed - first from China's up and coming low cost manufacturers and second from a new demand for low cost phones that have a lot of value to customers.

The wireless world keeps getting more interesting.

Good.  I said this in the Aquos thread, but I hope Softbank works to bring over more asian phones that have high/mid tier specs at sub $400/300 prices.  I would love to see stuff from Lenovo, Sony, Huawei, etc. come over to sprint. 

• Like 5

please read my subsequent post which explains that Sprint corporate stores (at least in NYC) do not allow customers to purchase devices using Easy Pay and add them to old plans

That is no longer an issue. As of Monday Easy Pay can be done on most plans.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2