Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm OK with the new $60 unlimited plan. But I would have also included a $50 3GB plan and a $40 1GB plan. And maybe there are more individual plans less than unlimited, and I'm just not aware. But I guess those lesser capped plans are not good values knowing some of the Tmo prepaid plans out there.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I was hoping for $50/40/30 personally. Now I don't know what I will do because there are no lower tier options. I am on Ting and using very little data for 2 lines (mostly due to data cost on Ting tbh) but I pay only $50 for 2 lines and I have a 3rd line at AT&T with unlimited. At this point a Framily seems the best option if I was going to get one or both lines back on Sprint but now they are going to stop marketing Framily so I run the risk of getting stuck on a decreasing framily in the future and watching my bills rise.

Oh and I updated the pricing Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L4FXkfyfM69LNJ6-vJ0baMZxdSWJ8N8aQNS_vVd5XOM/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

I'm not sure this is anywhere near aggressive enough to convince people to switch to Sprint. I mean you still have to pay for the device, which isn't trivial. So we are at what, 80 bucks a month? That doesn't seem at all disruptive, just more status quo most people don't need unlimited. Or even 2GB. Power users like us here probably do, but to most of the population they just want their bill to be cheaper, their service to work and have the device they want.

Sprint needs to do better to convince people to join the "Pardon our dust" Network. Because that's the perception. A slight at best price advantage won't do it.

• Like 3

I was hoping for $50/40/30 personally. Now I don't know what I will do because there are no lower tier options. I am on Ting and using very little data for 2 lines (mostly due to data cost on Ting tbh) but I pay only $50 for 2 lines and I have a 3rd line at AT&T with unlimited. At this point a Framily seems the best option if I was going to get one or both lines back on Sprint but now they are going to stop marketing Framily so I run the risk of getting stuck on a decreasing framily in the future and watching my bills rise.

Oh and I updated the pricing Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L4FXkfyfM69LNJ6-vJ0baMZxdSWJ8N8aQNS_vVd5XOM/edit?usp=sharing

I would worry about getting stuck on a shrinking framily too, sprint is going to keep framily but not actively push it. All the posters, rate plans and collateral that say framily have to go in the dumpster tonight. And there is that rumor that GorDon murdered the Frobinsons....
  • Like 4

I'm not sure this is anywhere near aggressive enough to convince people to switch to Sprint. I mean you still have to pay for the device, which isn't trivial. So we are at what, 80 bucks a month? That doesn't seem at all disruptive, just more status quo most people don't need unlimited. Or even 2GB. Power users like us here probably do, but to most of the population they just want their bill to be cheaper, their service to work and have the device they want.

Sprint needs to do better to convince people to join the "Pardon our dust" Network. Because that's the perception. A slight at best price advantage won't do it.

Then go with the 600 mb plan for 45. What do you want? If you don't need unlimited this plan isn't for you!.... These are both super aggressive plan sets given where the market is. I have 7 lines on framily and 6 of them are mine so I don't think they make me switch but that doesn't mean they're not aggressive plans. The family share is making me think about it hard as I would like hotspot ability but in the end I think I am going to stay put.

• Like 2

If you need a device subsidy, this plan is not for you.

Some people don't want to go through dealing with framily. And the security of knowing your payment will stay the same is nice. If 5 members hop off framily, your bill goes up. No fun.

They aren't really framily then, are they?
  • Like 1

So is johnny crafting a series of tweets at this time? Or waiting for a reply text from mom and dad ( deutsche telekom) for more funds to lower prices?

Maybe he's outside of the city limits. He'll tweet as soon as he's back in town with a data connection.

• Like 29

You're falling down. You used to beat everyone with breaking news! :)

That's what I get for letting that pesky day job get in the way.  Lol. 

• Like 4

If you need a device subsidy, this plan is not for you.

As my tweet from cricket yesterday, for $100 they give 500mb per line, and you buy your device.

Sprint is killing it.

• Like 3

Maybe he's outside of the city limits. He'll tweet as soon as he's back in town with a data connection.

Best. Post. This. Week!

:roflmao:

• Like 8

I would worry about getting stuck on a shrinking framily too, sprint is going to keep framily but not actively push it. All the posters, rate plans and collateral that say framily have to go in the dumpster tonight. And there is that rumor that GorDon murdered the Frobinsons....

Why would anyone like this post? GorDon is creepy! And the Frobinsons were cool people. Why would he kill them? :(

They can't long-term, they're loosing money.

T-Mobile US are losing money like Amazon is losing money. As in not.

Because the money is being spent on customer acquisitions which = revenue, and on CAPEX which includes 700Mhz spectrum. T-Mobile US is burning ~$5.3 billion this year on network upgrade which are not even close being finished. It's gonna take a while to clean up after the previous shoddy management.

And, even with all the cash burning they still had $5.8b cash and cash equivalents as of Dec 31, 2013, and had $3b of that left as of June 30.

If you look at their balance sheet T-Mobile's "Cost of services, exclusive of depreciation and amortization" are $1.453 billion per quarter so it's not going to break their back to offer the promo they just did. Maybe it would ding their addons, but it also has a net effect - it conditions people to use more data. 

• Like 2

You do realize that EVERY CARRIER offers cheaper rate plans when you have to pay for your device without subsity. Hell, that's the ONLY way to get service with T-Mobile.

I don't understand why it's ok that Tmo, AT&T and Verizon can get away with that, but when Sprint follows suit, the world ends?

• Like 1

And yes, we know this is not as good of a value as EDP 1500, with 4 unlimited lines. These are individual plans designed for one or possibly two lines. These are not family plans. And these are the lowest priced postpaid unlimited plans out there at the moment. Single line people have been screwed over the years. Now they have an inexpensive easy option, without trying to recruit friends.

Although, I may still try to join someone's nearly full Framily! That's still the best deal going.

Happy to oblige if you're looking for a spot. 

• Like 1

So it seems this is his last leg to stand on... Hopefully Marcelo is fast at work to rectify it....

Check out @JohnLegere's Tweet: https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/502500719006875648

So kind of pointless to move from an ~$80 ED450 under contract, to a $60+25 = $85 until after your actual upgrade eligibility date.

;

Not necessarily. It says the charge for switching with a subsidized phone is "up to $25/month" so older phones or mid-tier phones mgiht be less. I have an S4, so it might make sense for someone like me to switch since I doubt that would be the full $25 with the S5 already a few months old.

• Like 2

You do understand that all of the low cost plans from every carrier are unsubsidized with the exception of the 2GB Verizon plan that is the same price as this.  So if you are going to complain you have to add the cost of the phone to the sprint plan you also need to remember to add the cost of the phone to the other carriers plans as well.

And I do agree that I would like to see some 1GB and 3GB options for more savings.  Perhaps those are still to come.

You do realize that EVERY CARRIER offers cheaper rate plans when you have to pay for your device without subsity. Hell, that's the ONLY way to get service with T-Mobile.

I don't understand why it's ok that Tmo, AT&T and Verizon can get away with that, but when Sprint follows suit, the world ends?

Because AT&T and Verizon are solid networks and T-Mobile is incredibly fast in Metro areas. Sprint, in it's current state, is not quite there yet. 

It is a raw deal for Sprint considering the huge potential they have but potential doesn't mean much until it is realized.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/datashare/index.html?ECID=vanity:newday

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/its-a-new-day-for-unlimited-data.htm?previousArticle=0&nextArticle=11515&gotoArt=%2Fnews-releases%2Fits-a-new-day-for-unlimited-data.htm

Now, my first question is whether this plan includes a tethering allotment. Because if it doesn't then Sprint isn't doing an apples-to-apples comparison with T-Mobile's $80/mo plan, which includes 5GB.

Granted, My All-In was $110 per month for what I'm talking about, but that included a phone subsidy. This plan is $50 cheaper per month and doesn't include that subsidy.

But again, if Sprint isn't including a generous tethering allotment on the $60 plan, the comparison between their plan and T-Mobile's isn't actually valid. Because in my case 3GB of tether-able data is more useful to me than unlimited with no tethering a lot of the time.

EDIT: Looks like the "town hall" thread talks about this plan. And looks like no tethering is included in the plan's data allotment...if you want tethering, $20 will buy you 2GB. So when you're comparing apples to apples without coverage entering into the picture, and if you actually tether a fair amount, T-Mobile wins here, sadly.

Mods, you can roll this post into the town hall thread if you want.

• Like 2

Do you have any details yet for how employee discounts will apply to this new $60 plan or is that information/training tomorrow?

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/its-a-new-day-for-unlimited-data.htm?previousArticle=0&nextArticle=11515&gotoArt=%2Fnews-releases%2Fits-a-new-day-for-unlimited-data.htm

Now, my first question is whether this plan includes a tethering allotment. Because if it doesn't then Sprint isn't doing an apples-to-apples comparison with T-Mobile's $80/mo plan, which includes 5GB.

Granted, My All-In was $110 per month for what I'm talking about, but that included a phone subsidy. This plan is $50 cheaper per month and doesn't include that subsidy.

But again, if Sprint isn't including a generous tethering allotment on the $60 plan, the comparison between their plan and T-Mobile's isn't actually valid. Because in my case 3GB of tether-able data is more useful to me than unlimited with no tethering a lot of the time.

It's already being discussed in another thread. It's not included. And it is valid because it is $20 cheaper. Most people don't even need tethering. And if they do, they can pay for it on Sprint. Or go to Tmo.

No tethering included. You still have to pay extra. Sprint should really consider adding tethering to the plan.

• Like 2