Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Looking at the news articles, I thought it was going to be more crazy even in the comment section. But the news outlets don't care what so ever. Really the only people who care are the T-Mobile loyalists and John. Everyone else has carried on. Ironically people are more impressed with sprint this quarter and talking about that than T-Mobile being number 3. So Sprint stole tmobiles Thunder in a sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Looking at the news articles, I thought it was going to be more crazy even in the comment section. But the news outlets don't care what so ever. Really the only people who care are the T-Mobile loyalists and John. Everyone else has carried on.

I think it's because all the commenters are at a loss of words that sprint actually did as well as they did. The usuals will stay spew out that sprint still lost subs, but won't point out the gigantic difference in amount of subs lost.

That and sprint has pretty much doubled their download speeds nationwide, CA is launched, more b41 sites are showing up, densification is happening, masa has sprints back even tho everyone was saying he is going to bail on a 22 billion dollar investment (lol), and Sprint still has a shit ton more coming. Pair that with excellent call service, text service, and increasing e peen size daily.... It's a combination of progress. Oh, and the network is basically future proof.

Heh.

Sent from my iPhone 6 usinf Crapatalk

• Like 9

John should not have made this video until he included Sprint. Also the majority of his testing seems like it was based around if he could get service at home or not.

Sent from my Nexus 6

why waste his time with Sprint.... it would just create more work for him and generate even more trolls.  

• Like 1

You do know that Jump on Demand has been shown to have hidden cost right? the more you jump, the more it will cost you.

it is a great promotion for higher end users, and for sales people to brag about.  I suspect less than 2% of TMO users will actually swap 3 phones a year!   

I was only going by a few the articles that are appearing now. But at the same time because it's not a large amount of them may go to show that no one cares too much. But if true T-Mobile loses the underdog title. Fcc won't care about their grievances either.

Now, Sprint is the underdog. Now, Sprint shall rise...  :devil:

Is everyone ready for the biggest comeback (in the cellular communications market) in American history?

-Anthony

• Like 13

That, or they're going to sit out the auction altogether, which I hope is not the case!

Frankly, depending on what the spectrum costs, and the need to densify for capacity anyhow, it may make more sense to just densify the network rather than buying more and more spectrum. I get the impression that Sprint will only bid if the prices are right. They, unlike T-Mobile, have < 1Ghz spectrum in pretty much all markets.

• Like 1

Frankly, depending on what the spectrum costs, and the need to densify for capacity anyhow, it may make more sense to just densify the network rather than buying more and more spectrum. I get the impression that Sprint will only bid if the prices are right. They, unlike T-Mobile, have < 1Ghz spectrum in pretty much all markets.

Sprint could use the capacity/propagation associated with 600MHz spectrum, and IMHO, it will bid. Marcelo and Masa are being quiet about it because they want to ensure that the FCC is fair on the Spectrum Reserve, and other conditions, but 600MHz is a one-time opportunity for prime wireless spectrum that I find hard to believe they'd pass up.

Sprint has a 5x5 channel of 800MHz, and not everywhere IIRC. I'd imagine build costs for a nationwide densified 2.5GHz buildout are higher compared to using 600MHz. The economics of deploying 600MHz may outweigh the costs associated with acquiring it, especially compared to a 2.5GHz build....

T-Mobile has Band 12 (700MHz) in a number of markets.

I'm just speculating of course on what Sprint will do... But I hope they get that 600MHz and combine it with 2.5GHz for a network that will roar big time.

• Like 2

Sprint could use the capacity/propagation associated with 600MHz spectrum, and IMHO, it will bid. Marcelo and Masa are being quiet about it because they want to ensure that the FCC is fair on the Spectrum Reserve, and other conditions, but 600MHz is a one-time opportunity for prime wireless spectrum that I find hard to believe they'd pass up.

Sprint has a 5x5 channel of 800MHz, and not everywhere IIRC. I'd imagine build costs for a nationwide densified 2.5GHz buildout are higher compared to using 600MHz. The economics of deploying 600MHz may outweigh the costs associated with acquiring it, especially compared to a 2.5GHz build....

I'm just speculating of course on what Sprint will do... But I hope they get that 600MHz and combine it with 2.5GHz for a network that will roar big time.

Sprint has 800 nationwide. The only caveat is that they can't use it near the Canadian and Mexican borders for a few more years months and there are still a few public safety organizations Sprint is waiting on to vacate the spectrum in a few counties. But the FCC seems to have begun cracking down on the straggling public safety organizations. Still, Sprint is limited to 5x5 in 800 as you said, so I think they'll probably at least try to get some 600.
  • Like 1

That means your sister, on average (assuming she gets 10 hrs of sleep a day), sent/received 5.7 texts per minute for an entire month (31 days.)  That's a lot of texting!

Who in the hell sleeps ten hours per day? Wtf?

• Like 8

I agree.

I'd like to see Sprint get 15x15 in most areas of the country, if not all of it, but have it as 15x15, not three 5x5. If Sprint could get that in the auction without an expense that would hurt their network expansion plans. I'd really like to see Sprint make 600mhz and 2.5ghz a network priority, with their 800 and 1900 as "disposable" spectrum they could sell if they really needed to do so, though I'd prefer them keep the 800 more than the 1900 if it came down to it.

Although definitely do not skip this auction, as I think it is a big deal for Sprint.

I agree.

I'd like to see Sprint get 15x15 in most areas of the country, if not all of it, but have it as 15x15, not three 5x5. If Sprint could get that in the auction without an expense that would hurt their network expansion plans. I'd really like to see Sprint make 600mhz and 2.5ghz a network priority, with their 800 and 1900 as "disposable" spectrum they could sell if they really needed to do so, though I'd prefer them keep the 800 more than the 1900 if it came down to it.

Although definitely do not skip this auction, as I think it is a big deal for Sprint.

Just stop it! They are not selling 800 and they are not selling 1900Mz spectrum. So just quit it. 

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 5

I agree.

I know you're just speculation and dreaming, but really, lay off the selling spectrum ideas. It can't/won't happen. Not with the current market structure. 

• Like 2

Just stop it! They are not selling 800 and they are not selling 1900Mz spectrum. So just quit it.

I'm not advocating they sell it. I brought it up only because the issue of spectrum selling was mentioned again today that Sprint is not planning on selling band 41 spectrum, which is a very good thing they are not.

My mention was simply that buying plenty of 600mhz spectrum will give them a great range of long distance spectrum with enough capacity that will complement band 41 very well, one being excellent high capacity short range spectrum, the other being excellent in building penetrating spectrum, which with having plenty of both means they'd have extra spectrum they could sell if they needed to.

Again, I'm not advocating Sprint sell any of their spectrum. I'm only mentioning which spectrum seems preferable to sell if for some reason they needed to do so. I have another very good reason for mentioning this, because there is quite a bit of talk between whether Sprint should spend the money on buying 600mhz spectrum or using that money for NGN. If it really is an issue over money spent on one thing or another, then selling spectrum is an option they could consider, not that I'm advocating it though, of course. I'm just giving my opinion of which spectrum I think they ought to sell, if they were to do so.

I know you're just speculation and dreaming, but really, lay off the selling spectrum ideas. It can't/won't happen. Not with the current market structure.

I'd rather Sprint not sell any spectrum, and I wouldn't be mentioning it if it hadn't already been mentioned as it has in many articles the past few months. It isn't even part of my ideas I often write about here, such as rate plans and network management options.

I also really don't want Sprint to sell any of their band 41 spectrum and am very vocal against many of the writers on websites such as Fierce, suggesting Sprint sell band 41 spectrum. I really hated the article where Fierce was writing about the benefits of selling band 41 spectrum to Verizon.

Then stop mentioning it!

That isn't the point. I've already said I had a good reason for mentioning it not based on opinion, but on the facts of these articles. It really isn't something to get so upset about though, and had no one misunderstood my point in my original post, I'd have no reason to defend it, which requires my bringing it up again.

It's fine if people want to disagree with a point I made using my opinion. Had I originally stated here today in this thread something like, "Sprint ought to sell their PCS spectrum because it sucks!", I can understand why people would be upset by such a statement. I'm certainly not saying that at all here. After all, I long ago conceded my original idea about Sprint selling PCS based on my opinion of it at that time. Someone made a good point there about Sprint possibly using it for carrier aggregation with band 41, which I thought was a good idea, and I still think it's a good idea even now.

However, that doesn't change the fact of writers and speculators making claims about Sprint's financial positions and spending capabilities, particularly the limits on it. Actually, I don't believe Sprint is in such a bad financial state as these people making Sprint sound to be. Sprint obviously still has the strong backing of Softbank, as evident by speeches made recently by Nikesh Arora and also by Masa Son during the recent financial reports.

Yet, if these statements being made about Sprint's finances are true enough at least to impact a decision on spending money on the 600mhz spectrum auction, or to use that money to fund NGN more, then those decisions certainly could cause these writers and speculators to mention about how Sprint needs to do both and to do all they can to improve their network, as many have already done to some degree. It is possible, even quite likely they will continue mentioning Sprint selling spectrum, even though Sprint has denied interest in it. So, I'm going to continue hoping Sprint doesn't do this while hoping also hoping Sprint does have the money for both. If for whatever reason they don't however, I hope Sprint doesn't choose to sell band 41 spectrum.

• Like 1

Given the positive experiences with band 41 CA and the plan to build it out over the entire network purporting footprint, I don't think wider channels on band 25 are all that critical. In a lot of ways even a third B25 5x5 would be better than 15x15 since it will deter excessive data use by people in places band 41 doesn't hit. Particularly since the "net neutrality" rules mean the physical bandwidth cap for a carrier can be used to deter abusive use while technical limitations can't, especially if Sprint doesn't deploy CA on band 25.

I wonder if other carriers will cotton on to using narrower channels even when they have adjacent spectrum and can get away with wider ones for this very reason, even if it undermines their speed test epeen figures.

• Like 5

Given the positive experiences with band 41 CA and the plan to build it out over the entire network purporting footprint, I don't think wider channels on band 25 are all that critical. In a lot of ways even a third B25 5x5 would be better than 15x15 since it will deter excessive data use by people in places band 41 doesn't hit. Particularly since the "net neutrality" rules mean the physical bandwidth cap for a carrier can be used to deter abusive use while technical limitations can't, especially if Sprint doesn't deploy CA on band 25.

I wonder if other carriers will cotton on to using narrower channels even when they have adjacent spectrum and can get away with wider ones for this very reason, even if it undermines their speed test epeen figures.

band 41 expansion is critical for Sprint, as it has great capacity and allows for really great speeds. Sprint just needs to have a very dense network for it to work, something which even PCS has trouble in with areas not even dense enough for that. Yet, for areas which are not dense enough for either band but are not fiscally worth densifying, is where a wideband of 600mhz would be very helpful and useful for Sprint. Hopefully Sprint sees that benefit enough to decide not only on participating in the 600mhz auction, but also for spending a lot to get a lot out of it, which I'm hoping for 15x15.

I understand the outlook of curbing network abuse, but I really don't think carriers want to have less spectrum and/or multiple carriers of a narrower amount as a method of preventing data abuse, because it also affects basic, non-abuse usage as well. In particular, it makes it more crowded, less capacity with less speed. Higher data speeds are useful for much more practical things than just speedtests and bragging rights over fast data speeds, etc. Carriers realize this, which is why they are seeking for more wider channels. Where they can't likely they'll aggregate them for wideband-like performance and utility.

Also, carriers such as T-Mobile and now recently Sprint, are starting to offer affordable and practical per gb data prices for their promotional plans with large data amounts that replace unlimited data. The rates are very similar to the ideas I've been presenting here on S4GRU, but with the difference being these promotions are more targeted for multi-line users, where my ideas are more for individuals. Yet, I'll acknowledge this. T-Mobile is offering rates akin to my ideas for their $10 for 10gb add-on. So, two lines that get 20gb for $100, can upgrade to 40gb for only $20 additional. That is a pre-tax total of $120 for 40gb. Breaking that down per gb basically is $3 per gb. If T-Mobile were to offer something similar to that for lighter data options, then that would be pretty darn close to my idea of a reasonably priced per gb data plans which would satisfy many unlimited data users who'd accept it, if unlimited data were to be replaced by this.

First Half RootMetrics report is out.http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/blog/special-reports/2015-1h-metro-ranking

EDIT: Oops, this is for markets, not the entire first half (including state level.) I'll leave the link up in case anyone's interested.

That is the cities ranking, I wonder when they will release the report for carriers rank.

Arysyn, why are you so bent that Sprint needs this 600MHz? It's only so much better than 800MHz, and it's gonna be ridiculously expensive to buy, not including how expensive it's gonna be to put up new panels and radio units that support it. Sprint's better off spending that auction cash, which is probably billions if not hundreds of millions, on just more network gear to set up more sites for 800MHz + 1900MHz. 600MHz is just a good way for Sprint to waste cash they really don't have for a network they will have to burn more cash on half a decade later as opposed to immediately. It's a waste of all resources, just densify and build out with what you have. The triband system will work with what they got.

• Like 4

Arysyn, why are you so bent that Sprint needs this 600MHz? It's only so much better than 800MHz, and it's gonna be ridiculously expensive to buy, not including how expensive it's gonna be to put up new panels and radio units that support it. Sprint's better off spending that auction cash, which is probably billions if not hundreds of millions, on just more network gear to set up more sites for 800MHz + 1900MHz. 600MHz is just a good way for Sprint to waste cash they really don't have for a network they will have to burn more cash on half a decade later as opposed to immediately. It's a waste of all resources, just densify and build out with what you have. The triband system will work with what they got.

Because there is no more low band spectrum for the foreseeable future. The only other way if for the FCC to mandate that PS move to the 700MHz SMR band. You have seen how successful they were getting them to move from the 800Mz band. Sprint has to bid and win a 10x10 allocation. Anything below that is stupid! Sprint has made a lot of boneheaded moves in the past, but that will be beyond boneheaded.

• Like 3