Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Former Sprint CEO Hesse: Unexpected disruption from Network Vision was 'very painful to me personally'

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/former-sprint-ceo-hesse-unexpected-disruption-network-vision-was-very-painf/2015-08-05

If only the board hadn't blocked him on a lot of necessary things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

The Band 41 can't penetrate a paper bag thing must be related to old Clearwire equipment. I still get 41 indoors several miles from the site. I have to go deep into a building to lose it.

Sent from my Tab 4

Band 41 LTE from legacy Clearwire sites travels further than WiMax 2.6 ever has. I think that all these band 41 doubters are still thinking of 2.6 WiMax. Even I thought band 41 penetrating buildings was some BS until band 41 started popping up on Clearwire sites in my market. The 8t8r's I connect to are even better and is every close to band 25 signal.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 2

If Sprint had purchased MetroPCS as Hesse negotiated, Sprint would handily still be #3 and have more customers, they would have enough PCS spectrum to roll out many more 10x10 PCS markets and PCS 2nd carrier markets, they would have lots of AWS to trade for more PCS or possibly even add B4 carriers (they started supporting B4 anyway) and most importantly, Tmo would not have their strength they have now. Tmo would not have been able to deploy nowhere near as many wideband markets and they would not have the capacity or performance they do now. Which has driven most of their growth.

Metro ended up being a better deal to Tmo than it would have been for Sprint. But Tmo having Metro has been largely at the expense of Sprint. Especially since Hesse had a deal for Metro worked though, only being denied by the Sprint board at the last second. It's the largest single blunder by Sprint in modern times and it wasn't even Hesse's fault.

All things considered though, it is better it went to Tmo than the Duopoly.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 28

Arysyn, why are you so bent that Sprint needs this 600MHz? It's only so much better than 800MHz, and it's gonna be ridiculously expensive to buy, not including how expensive it's gonna be to put up new panels and radio units that support it. Sprint's better off spending that auction cash, which is probably billions if not hundreds of millions, on just more network gear to set up more sites for 800MHz + 1900MHz. 600MHz is just a good way for Sprint to waste cash they really don't have for a network they will have to burn more cash on half a decade later as opposed to immediately. It's a waste of all resources, just densify and build out with what you have. The triband system will work with what they got.

I think Sprint/Softbank ought to do both. They need both 600mhz spectrum and densification. The 600mhz spectrum is very useful, both for indoor signal penetration and for Sprint to use in areas where densification is more expensive than what it's worth. For instance, more rural areas.

• Like 1

Envision the market if AT&T had went for Metro/Leap/SpectrumCo instead of T-Mobile.

Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile would have had much luck on their own. Consolidating the two would have effectively been forced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I live less than 1500 feet away from a Sprint tower with B41 and I don't get it indoors. Harold Feld wasn't exactly exaggerating when he said 'wet leaves' can disrupt the signal.

This is a site issue - B41 can definitely penetrate indoors at that distance away from the site. B41 is probably at a super-low power level. They have not been fully optimized in my market either after being installed for 1 year. 

if you are split between sectors/axis and/or have outside factors affecting the signal, that would also explain lack of b41.

Also, b41 not being at the tower you think it is, could also be a factor. :)

• Like 1

if you are split between sectors/axis and/or have outside factors affecting the signal, that would also explain lack of b41.

Also, b41 not being at the tower you think it is, could also be a factor. :)

From my experience in an AL city b41 wildly underperforms b25. I work a little over 300 yards from a tower with b41 on it (watched them put it in) and work in a build with a glass fron and the best I can is three bars with connection being sporadic. Out doors on the street with a good line of site I will stay connect magnet .5 miles and that is rare.

Not to criticize Sprint or anything negative. After all, I hope they rebound big time with the band 41 spectrum they have. However, I don't understand why Sprint doesn't maximize all the band 41 they have on the towers they are on. There are some areas where it definitely seems to be powered up and on fully, such as in Schaumburg, Illinois. Yet, there are some areas, such as on Ogden Avenue in Clarendon Hills, Illinois, where its on, but only in one particular small area. Then where I live, it is suppose to be here on two towers very closeby, yet I never saw band 41 during my two experiences with Sprint.

I understand Sprint not wanting to deploy it at all in areas without the site density for it though, just not so much where they do. Is there a particular reason for this I'm unaware of?

Not to criticize Sprint or anything negative. After all, I hope they rebound big time with the band 41 spectrum they have. However, I don't understand why Sprint doesn't maximize all the band 41 they have on the towers they are on. There are some areas where it definitely seems to be powered up and on fully, such as in Schaumburg, Illinois. Yet, there are some areas, such as on Ogden Avenue in Clarendon Hills, Illinois, where its on, but only in one particular small area. Then where I live, it is suppose to be here on two towers very closeby, yet I never saw band 41 during my two experiences with Sprint.

I understand Sprint not wanting to deploy it at all in areas without the site density for it though, just not so much where they do. Is there a particular reason for this I'm unaware of?

I've noticed this too. Las Vegas seems to have B41 in more areas and coming close to a tower can fetch you RSRP as high as -59. But in other areas they perform on par with Clear equipment going only as high as the lower -70s (-78 or -79).

If I had to guess, they are protecting legacy Clear equipment. Time will answer all of our questions soon. Is 8T8R really the bees knees? We'll see. I have my reservations, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

From my experience in an AL city b41 wildly underperforms b25. I work a little over 300 yards from a tower with b41 on it (watched them put it in) and work in a build with a glass fron and the best I can is three bars with connection being sporadic. Out doors on the street with a good line of site I will stay connect magnet .5 miles and that is rare.

I've tried finding 41 in Alabama...can you tell me where it is?

I've noticed this too. Las Vegas seems to have B41 in more areas and coming close to a tower can fetch you RSRP as high as -59. But in other areas they perform on par with Clear equipment going only as high as the lower -70s (-78 or -79).

If I had to guess, they are protecting legacy Clear equipment. Time will answer all of our questions soon. Is 8T8R really the bees knees? We'll see. I have my reservations, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I had some thoughts regarding the Clear equipment too. I know WiMax is suppose to be shutdown in November, which I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, as the sites still running WiMax Sprint may not be giving as much to Sprint LTE because of that, though I'm just speculating.

I had Clear for a very brief time several years ago at home in the same place I still live at. I tried it in the living room, which was okay, better than the speeds I got at home with Sprint LTE. I decided though to cancel and get AT&T Uverse instead, which while not great either, is better than Clear was. I can't be sure, but I think the download speed I got on Clear was around 6mbps, whereas on AT&T Uverse the download speed is around 18mbps-21mbps during a single use of streaming.

I definitely have hope that when Sprint gets this issue resolved, it'll be a lot better. My plan if I get back on Sprint later this year, is to contact Sprint's support department, if the issue isn't resolved by then. Although my main concern about the issue isn't so much the speed at home, as I'm hoping to switch from Uverse to Xfinity, in order not to be so limited with having almost all of the speed only being used for one thing, which is why I still use the cell service at home for internet browsing while watching streaming movies using Uverse. I'm concerned about the speeds around my home area of the community, which I've mentioned are bad around here, but good on the other side, which is the exact opposite of T-Mobile which is good around home but bad around my aunt's where Sprint is good. It is an issue I'd contact T-Mobile about, if I were planning to keep them.

• Like 1

as I'm hoping to switch from Uverse to Xfinity, in

I hope you like terrible troubleshooting assistance and horrendous customer service, because that's all you're going to get from Comcast. Also, forget about renting a modem from them. You're better off buying a modem at Best Buy or online than dealing with their equipment.

• Like 3

I had some thoughts regarding the Clear equipment too. I know WiMax is suppose to be shutdown in November, which I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, as the sites still running WiMax Sprint may not be giving as much to Sprint LTE because of that, though I'm just speculating.

I had Clear for a very brief time several years ago at home in the same place I still live at. I tried it in the living room, which was okay, better than the speeds I got at home with Sprint LTE. I decided though to cancel and get AT&T Uverse instead, which while not great either, is better than Clear was. I can't be sure, but I think the download speed I got on Clear was around 6mbps, whereas on AT&T Uverse the download speed is around 18mbps-21mbps during a single use of streaming.

I definitely have hope that when Sprint gets this issue resolved, it'll be a lot better. My plan if I get back on Sprint later this year, is to contact Sprint's support department, if the issue isn't resolved by then. Although my main concern about the issue isn't so much the speed at home, as I'm hoping to switch from Uverse to Xfinity, in order not to be so limited with having almost all of the speed only being used for one thing, which is why I still use the cell service at home for internet browsing while watching streaming movies using Uverse. I'm concerned about the speeds around my home area of the community, which I've mentioned are bad around here, but good on the other side, which is the exact opposite of T-Mobile which is good around home but bad around my aunt's where Sprint is good. It is an issue I'd contact T-Mobile about, if I were planning to keep them.

Can you PLEASE work on parsing down your posts? The on and on is excessively tiresome. It truly is. Please, by all means, make your point. But clearly and CONCISELY. And then move on about your day.
  • Like 14

Can you PLEASE work on parsing down your posts? The on and on is excessively tiresome. It truly is. Please, by all means, make your point. But clearly and CONCISELY. And then move on about your day.

I agree, too long to read.

• Like 8

I'm really enjoying b25 in San Diego. Can't imagine how much better it would be with b26 In the future.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's posts like this that make me smile because everything gets better.

For Sprint, everything is copacetic.

• Like 4

It's posts like this that make me smile because everything gets better.

For Sprint, everything is copacetic.

I'll be in San Diego for a wedding for a week. Excited to see what it is now from the days of awful 3G.

It was nice to see Masa admitting that at one point he was skeptical, but with the way Sprint has turned things around he's even more confident that when they initially acquired Sprint. It's s huge sign for consumers who actually stay informed.

• Like 10

It was nice to see Masa admitting that at one point he was skeptical, but with the way Sprint has turned things around he's even more confident that when they initially acquired Sprint. It's s huge sign for consumers who actually stay informed.

I agree. This is a return of investor earnings. This a great news.

Makes me believe they are laying low on 600 on purpose and they will be bidding hard.

Sent from my iPhone 6 64GB using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Makes me believe they are laying low on 600 on purpose and they will be bidding hard.

inb4 some small never heard of before company buys all the 600, then it's like a face reveal to be Masa and the gang

• Like 1