Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Some issues seem to fit in multiple places sometimes.

They sometimes do indeed. However,  when we have a specific thread set up for the 600 MHz auction it would seem prudent to post any new developments there, especially when the other two topics you cross posted in are in the same sub-forum.

• Like 3

Also, I wrote in that thread how I'd like to see Sprint get 20x20 of the 600mhz spectrum, and possibly use 5x5 of it for CDMA, if any of the PCS currently is being used for it.

AJ pointed it out to me a while ago, but there will not be any new cdma band classes standardized by the 3gpp2 to be able to use any 600mhz for cdma2000 technologies.

They sometimes do indeed. However, when we have a specific thread set up for the 600 MHz auction it would seem prudent to post any new developments there, especially when the other two topics you cross posted in are in the same sub-forum.

I agree I should have just looked more carefully for that. The only thing to my response about it is how some topics just have issues which can fit in multiple places and make it confusing to a poster where to place their post.

When I was an admin on a few very seriously-natured forums I was in charge of designing sections and maintaining threads, it was one of the most complex issues outside of content nature in making sure the sections were designed with minimal confusion and posts weren't in the wrong threads/were in the most accurate threads.

The fact S4GRU is as well organized as it is, deserves well recognition for it. I understand the need to keep up with it, so I won't argue moving around my posts to the appropriate place. I try to put my posts where they belong, though every so often, such as this time, I made a mistake.

• Like 1

AJ pointed it out to me a while ago, but there will not be any new cdma band classes standardized by the 3gpp2 to be able to use any 600mhz for cdma2000 technologies.

When I wrote this, I was only thinking about clearing the PCS band for LTE. I made an error in forgetting about compatibility with older devices, which was mentioned by someone in response to me earlier.

I decided to use this site alot today/posting alot in getting my mind off of something serious happening tomorrow in my life, though my thinking wasn't really focused well when writing/posting today.

It is amazing the the biased attacks against Sprint. Seems all the tech media sites are in the pockets of Tmobile.

I guess they love that tmobile ceo is obnoxious as them.

• Like 3

I get the feeling that this is a big part of it. His behavior somehow really appeals to the demographic that, among other things, accounts for most of the tech media.
  • Like 1

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/7/9116493/verizon-is-doing-away-with-contracts

Getting rid of contracts and going to shared data is an unexpected move from Verizon.. I thought they would hold on to contracts until the end of time.

I'm appalled by this and my hopes for Verizon yet again proving me wrong, despite part of those hopes being fueled by reports I've read on various websites.

The big rumor recently, was that Verizon was going to go with a "double data" plan, showing some willingness to compete. Though these new plans show they are even more expensive than the plans before.

The only hope left now, is for the unpublished heavier data rates, which going by the $60 monthly for 6gb and the $80 monthly for 12gb, I can only imagine the possibility of $100 monthly for 18gb, when the rumor seemed to indicate $100 monthly for 20gb.

At this point, I'm probably better off not speculating about Verizon anymore.

• Like 2

Verizon isn't really getting rid of contracts if they don't offer better upgrade options. It is, effectively, the new two year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/7/9116493/verizon-is-doing-away-with-contracts

Getting rid of contracts and going to shared data is an unexpected move from Verizon.. I thought they would hold on to contracts until the end of time.

Wow screw you Verizon.

On the plus side, Sprint can now differentiate themselves by having contracts forever

This proves Tmobiles marketing genius. 

When they got rid of contracts, they made it seem like the greatest thing since slice bread. When in reality, the real great deal was subsidized cellphones. 

I hope Sprint keeps the option around for a while, and since most people don't realize its a great deal, leases and financing would still be a more popular option and in turn have minimal impact on the Sprints bottom line.

• Like 4

This proves Tmobiles marketing genius.

When they got rid of contracts, they made it seem like the greatest thing since slice bread. When in reality, the real great deal was subsidized cellphones.

I hope Sprint keeps the option around for a while, and since most people don't realize its a great deal, leases and financing would still be a more popular option and in turn have minimal impact on the Sprints bottom line.

Under the old ETF's and plans contracts were a good deal. The problem was when we headed into the smartphone era. Contracts became encumbered dinosaurs. The shared data contract plans offered by the Twin Bells were really bad plans. They drastically increased the cost of service while people who wanted to upgrade each year were SOL.

Even Sprint's last plans that are contract aren't so great compared to their lease and financing plans.

So now some are starting to realize what I've thought for years now, that the subsidized phones aren't really as bad as they seemed? I personally fought the guy at the AT&T store when we signed up to put one of the phones on a subsidy instead of Next, full well knowing that it would be cheaper to pay the ETF upon cancellation vs paying off the Next balance. When I cancelled with Sprint I saved about $200 paying the ETF vs if I had gotten it on Easypay and paid off the balance. Obviously this loss of money for the carriers is why they're doing away with contracts and people are none the wiser and think it's so wonderful until they do the math.

I was half tempted to jump over to Verizon but after seeing how they're reshuffling everything and tacking another $10-20 to the bottom line with those plans is sickening.

Hopefully Sprint keeps some good options around as I do plan to come back in a year or when they finally optimize their network here.

• Like 5

Hopefully Sprint keeps some good options around as I do plan to come back in a year or when they finally optimize their network here.

I thought Gary, IN/Chicago area has some of the best Sprint experiences in the US.  It was pretty good the last time I was there a couple of months ago.

I thought Gary, IN/Chicago area has some of the best Sprint experiences in the US.  It was pretty good the last time I was there a couple of months ago.

When you get south of 80/94 in Northwest, IN the density starts to decrease to where B25 can't cover everything and B26 isn't optimized yet so it just drops to 3G a lot. Indoors in the city, again because B26 wasn't optimized anywhere I went would drop to 3G constantly and just become unusable.

• Like 1

Verizon isn't really getting rid of contracts if they don't offer better upgrade options. It is, effectively, the new two year deal.

Isn't this basically what Sprint does now? Except Sprint has a $10/month add on for upgrades after 12 months.

So now some are starting to realize what I've thought for years now, that the subsidized phones aren't really as bad as they seemed? 

I stated long ago, that the only winners in the race to no-contract/unsubsidized services, are the carriers.

Well, and anyone who keeps their phone for 3+ years may have a small benefit, but who wants to do that these days?

• Like 1

It is amazing the the biased attacks against Sprint. Seems all the tech media sites are in the pockets of Tmobile.

It's more obnoxious than anything. Practically all of the demographic praising T-Mobile lies within the urban areas T-Mobile actually cares about covering. If Wi-Fi works well enough for them to fill in the indoors coverage, then it's the greatest thing since canned peaches.

Then of course to fuel the fire you have testimonials from a handful of people with anecdotal experiences in areas Sprint hadn't gotten to yet, but T-Mobile did. Help us all!   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's more obnoxious than anything. Practically all of the demographic praising T-Mobile lies within the urban areas T-Mobile actually cares about covering. If Wi-Fi works well enough for them to fill in the indoors coverage, then it's the greatest thing since canned peaches.

Then of course to fuel the fire you have testimonials from a handful of people with anecdotal experiences in areas Sprint hadn't gotten to yet, but T-Mobile did. Help us all! :rolleyes:

Verizon didn't copy tmobiles no contract approach because it was good for the consumer. They did it because they knew it was a lie and they moved in to further line there pockets. Nothing wrong with that because it is a business but consumers should be more aware and realize that they are getting ripped off. I feel consumers get confused alot in the mobile industry and this is a good think for wireless networks because they can bend them over away they want. Missionary, doggy, choke hold reverse. This doesn't matter which position.
  • Like 1

Verizon didn't copy tmobiles no contract approach because it was good for the consumer. They did it because they knew it was a lie and they moved in to further line there pockets. Nothing wrong with that because it is a business but consumers should be more aware and realize that they are getting ripped off. I feel consumers get confused alot in the mobile industry and this is a good think for wireless networks because they can bend them over away they want. Missionary, doggy, choke hold reverse. This doesn't matter which position.

My post was simply a rant reiterating sort of the non-coincidental way many come to even join the magenta religion to begin with. 

• Like 2

My post was simply a rant reiterating sort of the non-coincidental way many come to even join the magenta religion to begin with.

It still amazes me how little homework is done before switching plans or even networks for that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I stated long ago, that the only winners in the race to no-contract/unsubsidized services, are the carriers.

Counterpoints:  the $350 2013 Nexus 5 and $400 2015 Moto X.

AJ

• Like 7