Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Well, obviously I was wrong with my estimates on texting. Not that I have a problem with unlimited calling and texting, though it would be nice to see some sort of plan available without it for those who use less of it. The ED 1500 is a great plan for those who use data mostly and less on calling/texting.

With Internet Calling and modern social apps, there's literally no point in selling buckets of texts or minutes.

As its been said before, data is the wave of the future.

• Like 1

With Internet Calling and modern social apps, there's literally no point in selling buckets of texts or minutes.

As its been said before, data is the wave of the future.

I agree with you about data being the future, especially with voice increasingly being carried over data networks, which certainly shouldn't need any sort of bucket minute plans for at all. My concern though is how there still seems to be a heavier charge for voice currently than there really ought to be, which is why I'm suggesting an option for minutes with for those who don't use much voice, in exchange for a lower rate. Although, I hope/believe once voice calling is mostly over data VoIP/volte, carriers will lower the add on line charges and/or the inclusive charge.

For example, I've read from peoples' comments on TmoNews, that T-Mobile's pricing breakdown on unlimited individual lines, is $50 monthly for the line with unlimited voice and text, then $30 monthly for the unlimited data. I remember back many years ago, T-Mobile use to have several promotions that were either $35 monthly for 1000 anytime minutes with unlimited N&W or 1500 anytime minutes. So, that is quite a big price increase between that and the unlimited voice and text nowadays.

I definitely see the importance of unlimited text and believe it ought to be considered as data, but until voice is fully VoIP, there ought to be some sort of alternative, unless carriers just did what is fair by lowering the rate for unlimited voice as it should be when considered in with data. My opinion of it is the rate of unlimited data and text should be no more than $15 monthly. Another opinion I have which I believe would be good for Sprint to at least consider, is to have one price plan for all customers, one that would be satisfactory for most customers, even those on the ED1500 plan.

My idea is to have the base price point for the service alone, no included lines, but have the base include 15gb of data, unlimited talk & text, and government taxes & fees. The price for that at $45 monthly, followed by $15 monthly each line, which includes 5gb additional data each line. Exampled : $60 monthly for 1 line with 20gb, $75 monthly for 2 lines with 25gb, $90 monthly for 3 lines with 30gb, $105 monthly for 4 lines with 35gb, $120 monthly for 5 lines with 40gb, $135 monthly for 6 lines with 45gb, $150 monthly for 7 lines with 50gb, $165 monthly for 8 lines with 55gb, $180 monthly for 9 lines with 60gb, and last line option for an account is $195 monthly for 10 lines with 65gb. Additional Data at $1 per gb, using my variable network spped cap idea I mentioned in one of my plan idea threads.

Oh, for those wondering, this idea is something more along the lines for what I perceive to be a good replacement option still using shared data on a multi-line account. It isn't my personal preference though, as that I've explored in my dedicated rate plan idea threads here. Although, I do like this idea, regardless.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-reports-continued-progress-in-its-turnaround-during-the-first-fiscal-quarter-of-2015.htm

1.56 churn! Pretty solid improvement.

-$20M net loss

The company also reported the following Sprint platform results:

• Total net additions of 675,000 compared to net losses of 220,000 in the prior year quarter. The 895,000 year-over-year improvement was mostly driven by fewer postpaid phone customer losses.
  • Prepaid net losses of 366,000 compared to net losses of 542,000 in the prior year quarter. The 176,000 year-over-year improvement was mostly due to fewer customer losses in the Assurance brand.
  • Wholesale net additions of 731,000 compared to 503,000 in the prior year quarter. The year-over-year growth was mostly driven by connected devices.
  • Like 7

Whole bunch of stuff in this...

Confirmation of 2x20MHz Carrier Aggregation on Band 41 with Antenna Beamforming to improve coverage at the cell edge.

Also:

Confirmation of the Next Generation Network Build...

Sprint has made significant progress on network performance and has started the next evolution of the network. This will involve significant densification of the network including additional macro cell sites, deployment of tens of thousands of small cells, and further expansion of the 2.5 GHz spectrum across the company’s existing sites.

and....

Sprint-RadioShack Stores – All 1,435 co-branded stores are open and staffed with Sprint employees. The fully operational “store-within-a-store” retail model has been completed in about one quarter of the locations with the remaining expected to be complete by the end of calendar year 2015.

and....

Total liquidity was $6.6 billion at the end of the quarter and the company had an additional $1.3 billion of availability under vendor financing agreements that can be utilized toward the purchase of 2.5 GHz network equipment. Sprint has been working with Softbank and other partners in setting up a leasing company that will finance its devices leased by customers on attractive terms. These arrangements are expected to be finalized in the coming months, and Softbank is expected to be a minority equity investor in the leasing company. With additional expected expense reductions, a capital efficient deployment of the network, and funding from the proposed leasing company, Sprint currently does not expect to raise additional capital through the public debt or equity markets in the foreseeable future, nor does it currently expect to sell spectrum.

• Like 8

Whole bunch of stuff in this...

Confirmation of 2x20MHz Carrier Aggregation on Band 41 with Antenna Beamforming to improve coverage at the cell edge.

Also:

Confirmation of the Next Generation Network Build...

and....

and....

I wonder if Sprint is working on a competing "Jump On Demand" type leasing offer like T-Mobile has. Competition is good! Hopefully it will help drive phone prices down. The LG G4 is cheap enough now on EIP to get it for $20/month.

You do know that Jump on Demand has been shown to have hidden cost right? the more you jump, the more it will cost you.

I think you are referring to the promo for iPhones? It's $15 now,but when you upgrade the cost goes up. It was definitely a little shady in the marketing, but it was crystal clear to me what the deal was.

I don't know how long T-Mobile will keep it though, phone upgrades are going to hurt their profit if they are making the upgrade period shorter and shorter. But for now, people should take advantage of it!

With Sprint not expecting to raise additional capital through the public markets in the foreseeable future, Softbank is likely providing capital for 600MHz.

Also stated it's not going to sell off any spectrum assets. No B41 for Verizon!

Sent from my M8

• Like 7

With Sprint not expecting to raise additional capital through the public markets in the foreseeable future, Softbank is likely providing capital for 600MHz.

That, or they're going to sit out the auction altogether, which I hope is not the case!

• Like 1

Lmao Masa was like I'm eh proud eh of eh Sprint eh and Marcelo ehhhhhhhhhhhh. Also he keeps talking about how much better Japan is compared to the US network. That's like comparing a network the size of a grape to a network the size of a watermelon. I don't think Japan is even bigger than California. If all the networks only had to cover California they would have amazing networks too.

• Like 3

Lmao Masa was like I'm eh proud eh of eh Sprint eh and Marcelo ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

At least we know he isn't planning to sell the company...  :tu:

I especially liked Masa's comments on the four carrier networks in the USA...  :realitycheck:

• Like 3

As long as they continue to maintain the best overall network, I don't see their churn going up by much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And that's my point. It is inevitable that someone is going to come along and sell a better value than Verizon. We know this - there is nothing other than really time that stands between a technological/coverage match between Verizon's network and other players. We know their prices are, on average, higher than other carriers - at least the smaller two national carriers (Sprint and T-Mobile). There's a race to the bottom in terms of wireless pricing at this moment in time, and Verizon (for many reasons, including corporate culture and debt load among many others) is not well-positioned to capitalize on this trend. These and many other factors will drive an increase in Verizon churn over the next several years. Expect to see a 50+ bp add on their churn numbers.

Doesnt make sense for sprint to sit out 600. They can densify urban areas add small cells to try and catch up to the big boys in coverage..in urban areas. 600 will help tremendously in open areas such as the midwest. However most importantly it makes no sense to allow vzw/att to get even more low band. As much as JL is crying to the feds it sounds like they wont have much $$$ to spend on the auction. If softbank drops $$$$$ the 600+2.5+ sprint prices would send vzw/att a wake up call..

• Like 3

Doesnt make sense for sprint to sit out 600. They can densify urban areas add small cells to try and catch up to the big boys in coverage..in urban areas. 600 will help tremendously in open areas such as the midwest. However most importantly it makes no sense to allow vzw/att to get even more low band. As much as JL is crying to the feds it sounds like they wont have much $$$ to spend on the auction. If softbank drops $$$$$ the 600+2.5+ sprint prices would send vzw/att a wake up call..

If Sprint buys 600MHz, they'd be deeper in debt and would be unable to use the spectrum for years. Instead, they can heavily densify the network around the coverage of 1.9GHz LTE heavily increase capacity (thanks to 2.5GHz and multiple PCS carriers) and have even more coverage from the densification thanks to 800MHz immediately for the same price or possibly less, as opposed to waiting years to have 600MHz certified as well as new equipment created.

• Like 5

He said they want to understand the rules before deciding on the 600 auction since you won't be able to deploy it until 2020. By then Sprint should have fixed there speed, capacity, site density problem.

• Like 1

Don't forget densifying the network with wide band b25 where they can, as Lilotimz has been redditors with. ????

• Like 1

He said they want to understand the rules before deciding on the 600 auction since you won't be able to deploy it until 2020. By then Sprint should have fixed there speed, capacity, site density problem.

Basically they're still hesitant because they want the FCC to get its act together.

• Like 4