Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I thought optimization also included getting the load balancing working right. Either way the network is pushing everything it possibly can to B41 when it could be spreading it out more evenly.

I could've sworn everything i read about optimization also included load balancing...

Optimization, as it is referred to here, is the aiming and pointing antennas and adjusting radio power levels for individual bands at each sector of a site. This is for optimal coverage and signal. Which can have an effect on speeds, but not likely in the way you are thinking. For instance, if you increase the downtilt for a sector on a specific band, the channel speeds should increase in that sector because less customers will be covered by that signal.

I think the source of your confusion though is on the network side. The network is also being configured and reconfigured with some frequency to better handle handoffs between bands, including recalibration for traffic and weak signal threshold handoffs, load balancing, as well as additional neighboring cell transitions. I have seen some people refer to these network updates as optimizations, as they are, in fact, optimizing the network. I try to avoid using the term optimization when discussing network improvements so as not to confuse the field optimization that is occurring.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation better.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 8

B41 is now / or going to be set as priority band in all cases and all devices will hand off to band 41 where available. 

Changing Qhyst value (and a few more) at the cell site, operators can easily steer the traffic onto the desired band. For instance, if Sprint UE reads RSRP better than "x"dBm on Band 41 layer, Band 41 will be used regardless of RSRP values on B25/26. 

Verizon's been doing this over the past 18months, typically having -110dBm as the cut off value for AWS. When the signal drops below -110dBm on the AWS layer, UE fallback to Band 13.

• Like 1

If comcast buys TMO, what's sprint's response (if anything)?

https://twitter.com/waltbtig/status/590269465629216769

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably open their arms for the droves of defecting t-mobile customers once kabletown takes over. I've never seen such rage at one company.

• Like 2

Sprint's brand isn't the best, but it's surely better than Comcast's. If T-Mobile was purchased by Comcast, they'd no doubt change customer service policies to maximize return...actually, on second thought...the wireless industry is too competitive for Comcast to bother.

Sent from my M8

• Like 4

No idea what Sprint's response would be... However I would be left to wonder what would have been a bigger train wreck TMO being bought by Comcast or Dish...

Either way I would have my popcorn ready to watch.

• Like 1

It would put Sprint in an interesting position. AT&T, VZW, and T-Mobile would all have wireless, wireline, and TV services and Sprint wouldn't.

But vzw is divesting all wireline except for northeast, fios and copper territories.

And the cross selling between vzw and cable cos is half-hearted and not very appealing.

Att is the closest to a nationwide footprint - 21 states - but their ads don't seem to emphasize wireless+uverse bundling.

I think USA is too big to make feasible the quad-play consolidation going on in Europe.

Germany: vodafone+kabel Deutschland

UK: EE + BT

Spain: Orange + Ono cable

Sprint should be ok.

• Like 2

No idea what Sprint's response would be... However I would be left to wonder what would have been a bigger train wreck TMO being bought by Comcast or Dish...

Either way I would have my popcorn ready to watch.

If comcast purchases TMO, they'd do so knowing full well TMO isn't in a position to charge like verizon.

But we shouldn't discount comcast buying sprint.

Sonny boy is closing down the California tech center that, is now obvious, was completely dependent on sonny turning us into a 3-carrier country.

He might consider selling sprint.

There's a thread for this [emoji12]

Looks like Google's project Nova might be announced as early as today.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-set-to-unveil-wireless-service-1429660082

Why did sonny shut down the Silicon Valley offices?

Weren't the Silicon Valley offices supposed to be a better place for Softbank people to come to the U.S.? California is much closer to Japan than Kansas City, so I remember seeing that those offices were for the Softbank people coming to help out Sprint. I imagine that if Mr. Son (which is how he should be refered to as; I find your extreme lack of respect for him by calling him "Sonny" to be laughable) was closing it down, then it's because Sprint is getting it's crap together, so there is no need for the midway office anymore. But that's just my best guess.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Weren't the Silicon Valley offices supposed to be a better place for Softbank people to come to the U.S.? California is much closer to Japan than Kansas City, so I remember seeing that those offices were for the Softbank people coming to help out Sprint. I imagine that if Mr. Son (which is how he should be refered to as; I find your extreme lack of respect for him by calling him "Sonny" to be laughable) was closing it down, then it's because Sprint is getting it's crap together, so there is no need for the midway office anymore. But that's just my best guess.

-Anthony

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-softbank-wind-down-silicon-valley-offices-following-collapse-t-mobil/2014-12-12

Sprint (NYSE: S) parent SoftBank plans to clear out most of the staff of its Silicon Valley offices, according to a Reuters report, following SoftBank's aborted effort to merge Sprint with T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS).

The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, said that the downsizing of the office in San Carlos, Calif., reflects a decision within SoftBank that the company will not be trying to forge a deal with T-Mobile anytime soon. SoftBank opened the office in September 2013, shortly after it closed its deal to acquire a controlling stake in Sprint. Rumors of a deal with T-Mobile first surfaced in December 2013.

• Like 1

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-softbank-wind-down-silicon-valley-offices-following-collapse-t-mobil/2014-12-12

Sprint (NYSE: S) parent SoftBank plans to clear out most of the staff of its Silicon Valley offices, according to a Reuters report, following SoftBank's aborted effort to merge Sprint with T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS).

I stand corrected on what the purpose of the offices was, but I still do not see how that means that Son is looking to sell Sprint. That's pure speculation on your part.

-Anthony

I stand corrected on what the purpose of the offices was, but I still do not see how that means that Son is looking to sell Sprint. That's pure speculation on your part.

-Anthony

Yes it's speculation.

Getting shut down by the feds resulted in SonnyMasayoshi Sons hutting down his California innovation office; he's saying that it's not worth

keeping the offices open if he can't compete in an oligopoly like in Japan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/23/softbank-son-oligopoly-idUSL3N0N83E020140423

If he doesn't think it's worth investing in the California office then it opens the door to the possibility that he may

not think it's worth being in US at all if he has to compete with 3 other carriers.

Edited by lilotimz

Yes it's speculation.

Getting shut down by the feds resulted in SonnyMasayoshi Sons hutting down his California innovation office; he's saying that it's not worth

keeping the offices open if he can't compete in an oligopoly like in Japan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/23/softbank-son-oligopoly-idUSL3N0N83E020140423

If he doesn't think it's worth investing in the California office then it opens the door to the possibility that he may

not think it's worth being in US at all if he has to compete with 3 other carriers.

And that article is from literally a year ago, which was pre-Marcelo, pre-CCA/RRPP, pre-Sprint actually competing. Sprint is in a hugely different position than they were a year ago, and their future looks hugely different than it did a year ago. Using a literally year old article that has no relevance now to help fuel speculation makes no sense whatsoever.

-Anthony

• Like 18

And that article is from literally a year ago, which was pre-Marcelo, pre-CCA/RRPP, pre-Sprint actually competing. Sprint is in a hugely different position than they were a year ago, and their future looks hugely different than it did a year ago. Using a literally year old article that has no relevance now to help fuel speculation makes no sense whatsoever.

-Anthony

Spend an hour on FierceWireless and you'll see the usual suspects doing the same thing.

• Like 7

-Anthony

:goodpost:

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 10