Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Have a backup if you travel to Denver. AT&T has been awful for me here on this trip. AT&T is my primary provider. Sub 1Mbps LTE speeds in 50% of the city. Forcing to WCDMA helps in some areas. VZW is better, but not as good as they are in most markets. Tmo and Sprint provide the best data experiences in Denver, with Sprint basically winning because of B26 nearly everywhere filling in the gaps. But Tm is starting B12 deployment here.

The only speed test since Thursday that AT&T beat Sprint was last night at the King Soopers in Montclair. AT&T hit 15Mbps (second fastest I have seen the past four days). But Sprint B41 hit 13Mbps. So it really didn't matter.

My wife is sick of her AT&T data timing out on her in Denver. It feels like Sprint LTE circa 2013. It was not good when I was here in January, averaging 2-3Mbps in the places that are now below one. I only saw Band 4 twice and Band 2 once. They need to do something here badly to add capacity.

I'm headed back to the Dakotas today where AT&T is the performance champ. Maybe that will calm her down.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

That sounds like my experience at the Denver airport in October and December 2011, on WCDMA.

Did sprint appear to be optimized in Denver?

AT&T already appears to be cannibalizing the Leap network in Chicago as I'm seeing 10x10 AWS now. All we have in NWI is 10x10 B17 and 5x5 B2 but I saw one site that was broadcasting B2 in 10x10 so I think it's a possibility they may be in the process of refarming more spectrum over here.

I initially wanted to switch to Verizon but their cell spacing here is terrible, to the point that falling back to 3G is common. And everyone I know seems to have problems with their ancient CDMA network.

• Like 2

Did sprint appear to be optimized in Denver?

It appears so to me. I only lost LTE twice in spots far from towers outdoors. I never lost LTE indoors in the city and suburbs. And B41 is pervasive. I'm at an Italian restaurant in Northglenn doing brunch. It looks like a concrete bunker. And I have a -103dBm B41 signal running 40Mbps. About 80% of the B41 I've been on was Clearwire and not Sprint, though.

• Like 1

It appears so to me. I only lost LTE twice in spots far from towers outdoors. I never lost LTE indoors in the city and suburbs. And B41 is pervasive. I'm at an Italian restaurant in Northglenn doing brunch. It looks like a concrete bunker. And I have a -103dBm B41 signal running 40Mbps. About 80% of the B41 I've been on was Clearwire and not Sprint, though.

I've had luck like that with B41 too. The range and building penetration is impressive. The performance of B25 and 26 have continued to be lackluster in range performance without optimization but what has been making up for it is B41 which seems to be amazing everywhere I went. There is a restaurant here like the place you were that is buried in a row of brick buildings and I pick up decent CLWR B41 in there where even 3G is very weak.

Y'all are making me jealous of the infill coverage other markets got with their Clear 41 rollouts. There is a grand total of 1 non-redundant Clear site that got band 41 LTE in my part of town.

• Like 1

I've had luck like that with B41 too. The range and building penetration is impressive. The performance of B25 and 26 have continued to be lackluster in range performance without optimization but what has been making up for it is B41 which seems to be amazing everywhere I went. There is a restaurant here like the place you were that is buried in a row of brick buildings and I pick up decent CLWR B41 in there where even 3G is very weak.

I seem to here that performance in CLWR equipment is impressive and that b41 on sprint is not. I have first hand experience on the sprint equipment and I am less than impressed with coverage, speed and penetration.

I seem to here that performance in CLWR equipment is impressive and that b41 on sprint is not. I have first hand experience on the sprint equipment and I am less than impressed with coverage, speed and penetration.

Sprint equipment usually doesn't have as much backhaul provisioned as the Clearwire equipment. In addition the speed decrease might also be because of how the Sprint equipment also shares the backhaul with B25 and B26, while the Clear equipment only shares the backhaul with the relatively unused WiMax.

Once they enable the 2nd B41 carrier they'll definitely increase the backhaul to get you the 70Mbps speeds you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Sprint equipment usually doesn't have as much backhaul provisioned as the Clearwire equipment. In addition the speed decrease might also be because of how the Sprint equipment also shares the backhaul with B25 and B26, while the Clear equipment only shares the backhaul with the relatively unused WiMax.

Once they enable the 2nd B41 carrier they'll definitely increase the backhaul to get you the 70Mbps speeds you're looking for.

I'm not sure which kind of Band 41 there is in my area, but in the Westland Mall, Band 41 has impressive penetration, not sure about the other mall in my area, but I like it. I hope they keep up the good work, also hope Band 26 deployment will be as fast as it was with Band 41. Band 41 deployment was/is impressive.

I'm not sure which kind of Band 41 there is in my area, but in the Westland Mall, Band 41 has impressive penetration, not sure about the other mall in my area, but I like it. I hope they keep up the good work, also hope Band 26 deployment will be as fast as it was with Band 41. Band 41 deployment was/is impressive.

It's cause there's a site across the street.

That is quickly becoming not true. They are working on turning up the backhaul at sites now and I saw my first ever speed test break 70 Mbps last weekend at a high traffic area here. Prior to that the highest I ever saw was 50 mbps from that same site, and nowhere else in the area. Back on my home site (in a lower traffic area) B41 never broke 33 mbps. 

That is quickly becoming not true. They are working on turning up the backhaul at sites now and I saw my first ever speed test break 70 Mbps last weekend at a high traffic area here. Prior to that the highest I ever saw was 50 mbps from that same site, and nowhere else in the area. Back on my home site (in a lower traffic area) B41 never broke 33 mbps.

Same here. Previous max was around 55mbps on the fastest tower I could find but I hit 65mbps on said tower last night during peak load hours. I need to get a test there sometime off peak and see if I can hit 70+.

Properly optimized 8T8R will beat Clear every day of the week in terms of signal resiliency.  The equipment is FAR better than Clearwire dual mode and 8 transmit and receive antennas provides a significant boost over the 2T2R Clearwire setups.

In case anybody happens to have friends or family that they need to reach in Nepal in the wake of the earthquake there:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-waives-customer-fees-for-calls-and-texts-to-nepal.htm

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), April 27, 2015 - To aid customers in making critical contact with family, friends and emergency personnel after the devastating earthquake in Nepal, Sprint (NYSE: S) is waiving and crediting calls and text messages made by Sprint customers to Nepal – retroactive from April 25 and continuing through May 16, 2015. Calling and texting to Nepal without charges applies to all postpaid and prepaid customers of Sprint, Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA.

During times of emergency, it has been shown that text messages may go through when calling capabilities aren't available and may help free up networks for critical communication between first responders, other emergency personnel and aid workers.

Additionally, Sprint will waive standard text-messaging fees for various Nepal disaster-relief short codes and mobile-donation campaigns starting today until May 16, including:

• Text “REDCROSS” to “90999” to donate $10 on behalf of the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
  • Text “WFP” to “50555” to donate $10 on behalf of UN World Food Program.
  • Text “NEPAL” to “20222” to donate $10 on behalf of Save the Children.
  • Text "NEPAL" to “864233” to donate $10 on behalf of UNICEF.

• Like 5

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/las-vegas-nv/2015-1H

Las-Vegas...Sprint tied for number 1 overall.  Sprint's second fastest there, right behind T-Mobile. :D

It's great to see Sprint and Tmo beat out Verizon and AT&T in speed in a market like Vegas.  And Sprint really struggled in Vegas for quite awhile.  And this is an all Sprint B41 market.  No Clearwire B41.  Progress is happening.

• Like 20

It's great to see Sprint and Tmo beat out Verizon and AT&T in speed in a market like Vegas. And Sprint really struggled in Vegas for quite awhile. And this is an all Sprint B41 market. No Clearwire B41. Progress is happening.

Biggest thing I've been seeing is that almost every root metrics report is saying Att speeds have decreased.

Ouch!

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 12

Biggest thing I've been seeing is that almost every root metrics report is saying Att speeds have decreased.

Ouch!

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yeah, AT&T needs to increase their capital spend big time and get those additional relief bands deployed!  As an AT&T customer, I am seeing first hand wherever I travel significant decreases.  It's great for me in rural areas, but in the cities it is unusable in many urban areas.   :td:

• Like 1

It's great to see Sprint and Tmo beat out Verizon and AT&T in speed in a market like Vegas.  And Sprint really struggled in Vegas for quite awhile.  And this is an all Sprint B41 market.  No Clearwire B41.  Progress is happening.

Heck of an improvement from 1H 2014 http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/las-vegas-nv/2014/1H

The McCarron DAS still needs some attention.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/las-airport/2015/1H

• Like 2

Yeah, AT&T needs to increase their capital spend big time and get those additional relief bands deployed!  As an AT&T customer, I am seeing first hand wherever I travel significant decreases.  It's great for me in rural areas, but in the cities it is unusable in many urban areas.   :td:

WCS = Where's Capital Spending?

;)

AJ

• Like 10

Yeah, AT&T needs to increase their capital spend big time and get those additional relief bands deployed! As an AT&T customer, I am seeing first hand wherever I travel significant decreases. It's great for me in rural areas, but in the cities it is unusable in many urban areas. :td:

They're spending $17-18 bil/year.

How is that not putting a dent in those low speeds?

I had the worst data experience in Denver on AT&T I've ever had this past weekend.  I had unusable data with timeouts more than a dozen instances.  And I did not go to any big venues or events.  It also was not very good in Sioux Falls, Salt Lake, Minneapolis and Philadelphia for me the past few months.  AT&T's network is declining fast this year.  I'm glad it's not just my observations and that AT&T speeds are declining in 3rd party reports too.  AT&T needs to get it moving, man.  They are getting left behind by everyone.  Even Sprint.

I'd drop AT&T for Sprint in two seconds flat if they offered service in my area.  And thankfully I have a Sprint phone to supplement me when I travel to these awful AT&T markets.

Split between land line and wireless. 

I'd drop AT&T for Sprint in two seconds flat if they offered service in my area.  And thankfully I have a Sprint phone to supplement me when I travel to these awful AT&T markets.

Just curious.  Are you suspending your line while it's not in use and un-suspending it when you travel into Sprint-zones?  I can't wait until Sprint ranks better in more markets than AT&T. :P

Just curious.  Are you suspending your line while it's not in use and un-suspending it when you travel into Sprint-zones?  I can't wait until Sprint ranks better in more markets than AT&T. :P

No, I just keep it active.  Here lately I have been travelling to Sprint areas at least every month.  I have a lot of travel this year.

• Like 2