Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Just to clarify, this is the incentive auction, not the forward auction.

The incentive auction is a reverse auction plus a forward auction, both parts put together.  So he's referring to both.

- Trip

I must say I have to wonder about this as well.  I really don't feel a week gives anyone a chance to truely experience the network.  I myself like to travel around a lot and I want to see how things perform all over.  I would think a month would be a better test ride period IMO.

Honestly, if you're shopping for a carrier, you want to make the decision based on the 90% usage area, so in a week that should cover it.

Honestly, if you're shopping for a carrier, you want to make the decision based on the 90% usage area, so in a week that should cover it.

But for a carrier whose reputation is lacking, giving a month would display confidence in its new network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But for a carrier whose reputation is lacking, giving a month would display confidence in its new network.

Eh, or invite freeloading jackasses to abuse the network and further put the name in mud.

I can bet my next paycheck that you'd never come back to Sprint, no matter what.

• Like 1

Eh, or invite freeloading jackasses to abuse the network and further put the name in mud.

I can bet my next paycheck that you'd never come back to Sprint, no matter what.

I was never on sprint.

TMO, vzw, att, TMO.

When my iPhone 4S finally breaks, I will absolutely buy the universal iPhone for me and my wife and choose whichever carrier is best in Ann Arbor-Detroit (and has unl data).

I don't care whether it's sprint or TMO.

Bet lost lol

• Like 1

What's diff between AAV and fiber?

AAV is an alternate access vendor. Any provider that is not an ILEC or direct fiber. It is most often coax from a cable company, but can be from any telecom company. Sometimes AAV can be fiber backed all the way to the last connection, providing nearly a full fiber experience. But AAV connections are highly variable by vendor and location.

When you see fiber, it is a direct fiber connection all the way to the RBS at the base station.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 3

TV Stations that do not relocate, or foreign stations still impairing our spectrum in Mexico and Canada that reduce the usefulness in border regions at certain frequencies.

• Like 1

There are two distinct issues here, and Robert touched on both of them.  For those interested, I'll do a deeper dive.  (I sat in on the AT&T ex parte last week.)

Recall that the auction is voluntary and as such depends on broadcasters participating in order to clear spectrum.  Now, suppose that nobody in, say, Boston participates in the auction, but the rest of the country has great broadcaster participation.  One of two things can happen, either the auction fails because even though you could clear spectrum in the rest of the nation there was no way to clear it in Boston, or you sell the rest of the country and leave TV stations in what becomes the wireless band in the rest of the country.  The FCC has opted to go in the latter direction, and adopted the aforementioned ISIX methodology to determine such interference.  This is not what the AT&T filing was about.

The AT&T ex parte is about the issue that we do have neighbors to the north and south who may not necessarily clear spectrum in 600 MHz at the same time as us.  Negotiations are on-going and confidential at this time, so people are assuming the worst case scenario:  that those TV stations will remain there.  AT&T conducted this analysis to look at what kind of impairment US wireless licensees in 600 MHz would experience if all of the Canadian and Mexican TV stations did not move.  It turns out the answer is "quite a bit," as their analysis shows.  Much of that impairment is from Mexico and into Los Angeles, which should come as no surprise.  Of course, all involved are hoping that the negotiations turn out well and it's not an issue.

AT&T's ex parte filing is here, for anyone who wants to read it:  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=60001029063

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.  I can also answer some questions, though I'm not the expert on this issue.

- Trip

• Like 12

I can also answer some questions, though I'm not the expert on this issue.

You're the closest thing we have to an expert on the subject.  We appreciate your analysis, as always.  :tu:

• Like 8

TV Stations that do not relocate, or foreign stations still impairing our spectrum in Mexico and Canada that reduce the usefulness in border regions at certain frequencies.

Now, everybody has an IBEZ problem.

• Like 3

There are two distinct issues here, and Robert touched on both of them.  For those interested, I'll do a deeper dive.  (I sat in on the AT&T ex parte last week.)

Was Joan, Jim, or Bob at the ex parte meeting?  That would be fun.

;)

AJ

I sat right next to Joan!

If I sat next to Joan, I would be a thorn in her side.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

If I sat next to Joan, I would be a thorn in her side.

;)

AJ

I have a feeling it would be more like James Carville and Mary Matalin. [emoji7]

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 1

Now, everybody has an IBEZ problem.

I might as well be, 800 voice is solid but LTE on 800 is a different story. So many places I drop to 3G when I could be on LTE 800 but it drops to 3G at only 105dBm. They need to optimize this soon it's only been almost a year now I don't know what is taking so long.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

I might as well be, 800 voice is solid but LTE on 800 is a different story. So many places I drop to 3G when I could be on LTE 800 but it drops to 3G at only 105dBm. They need to optimize this soon it's only been almost a year now I don't know what is taking so long.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Same here, we have band 41 and 26 just about everywhere and still no optimization anywhere that I go yet. I understand them waiting on getting all three frequencies live on every site first, but it would seriously have helped to do SOME kind of optimizing in the interim to keep things flowing instead of leaving everyone hanging and frustrated for more then a year.

I feel like if I leave for that "certain other" carrier whose AWS LTE fills in the whole area very nicely sprint might finally get around to optimizing the area lol.

• Like 1

That experience suggests a device issue.  Dropping LTE at -105 dBm RSRP is not common.  And optimization should not factor in to the equation.  Before optimization, the signal may be at lower power.  But that just means the cell radius potentially will be smaller, not that LTE will drop at a higher signal level.

Lastly, if you are running an alternative ROM, all bets are off.  Many of those developers do not know what they are doing when it comes to RF engineering.  They can muck things up with the baseband firmware.

AJ

• Like 4

That experience suggests a device issue. Dropping LTE at -105 dBm RSRP is not common. And optimization should not factor in to the equation. Before optimization, the signal may be at lower power. But that just means the cell radius potentially will be smaller, not that LTE will drop at a higher signal level.

Lastly, if you are running an alternative ROM, all bets are off. Many of those developers do not know what they are doing when it comes to RF engineering. They can muck things up with the baseband firmware.

AJ

B26 has had the same range/penetration as B25 in my area. They've had B26 broadcasting for around 8 months now but they still haven't optimized it. I know they're short on technicians, but can't they just temporarily hire another carriers or something?

Sent from my M8

B26 has had the same range/penetration as B25 in my area. They've had B26 broadcasting for around 8 months now but they still haven't optimized it. I know they're short on technicians, but can't they just temporarily hire another carriers or something?

I cannot answer that -- not my area of expertise.  Maybe Robert or Tim can chime in on the planning and implementation for optimization.

But lack of optimization does not mean that LTE will drop at -105 dBm RSRP, for example.  It just means that particular signal level will occur at a smaller cell radius than it will after optimization.

AJ

• Like 2

Lastly, if you are running an alternative ROM, all bets are off. Many of those developers do not know what they are doing when it comes to RF engineering. They can muck things up with the baseband firmware.

AJ

The baseband firmware is completely proprietary and cannot be modified by a ROM.

• Like 1

Sent from my M8

They have tried alternative methods of optimization. Let's just say it failed so spectacularly that Sprint opted to keep it in house.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1