Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Will be interesting to see how T-Mobile's new throttling policy affects both their subscriber growth and overall subscriber numbers. Have spent some time thinking about and analyzing both. Particularly in regards to customers added within the past 2 years, stickiness is low. This is due to 2 reasons:

• Not a longtime customer, so less brand loyalty
  • More importantly, the very equipment installment plans that T-Mobile introduced to attract customers make it a lot easier to leave the carrier
Throttling is VERY Uncarrier. I am curious as to how they will address this from a marketing standpoint. I understand the necessity of throttling, but their customers don't - and won't.

I would expect to see these porting rations turn almost completely around very quickly - within just a quarter or two. Doubly so as Sprint continues to improve and expand its network at a very rapid pace. In-building penetration with Sprint is still worlds better than T-Mobile in non-700 MHz markets (such as Richmond, VA). As the Sprint network further evolves, it is going to leave the T-Mobile network in the dust behind it.

Not trying to get off topic, but I wouldn't get too wigged out over these numbers. They won't last. DT wants to make money.

This is for top 3% and only on congested sites when they are congested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is for top 3% and only on congested sites when they are congested.

A top 3% still amounts to many thousands of affected subs.  That is more than enough people to make negative noise be heard.  See Reddit.  Do not underestimate the overall influence of a vocal minority.

AJ

• Like 3

What needs are unique to Spanish speakers?

Are we gonna see plans unique to redheads? Maybe they have unique needs too. Who knows!

Spanish speakers? You do realize that 2nd generation Hispanics and beyond mostly use the English language as their primary language? Once you get to 3rd generation Hispanics, the Spanish language is mostly gone. Go to places such as Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Albuquerque, and Tucson and you'll see that the majority of Hispanics in those cities don't even understand Spanish.

The entire purpose of this hire is to target "Hispanics" and its growing population (Not Spanish speakers). You wouldn't target a middle class stay-at-home mom with the same ad used for a single, young African-American. America is full of subcultures and they all hold different social, religious, and cultural values. Knowing your target audience is important, and Sprint knows that.

• Like 5

Spanish speakers? You do realize that 2nd generation Hispanics and beyond mostly use the English language as their primary language? Once you get to 3rd generation Hispanics, the Spanish language is mostly gone. Go to places such as Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Albuquerque, and Tucson and you'll see that the majority of Hispanics in those cities don't even understand Spanish.

The entire purpose of this hire is to target "Hispanics" and its growing population (Not Spanish speakers). You wouldn't target a middle class stay-at-home mom with the same ad used for a single, young African-American. America is full of subcultures and they all hold different social, religious, and cultural values. Knowing your target audience is important, and Sprint knows that.

Explain how the needs are different. Everyone wants to save money.

A top 3% still amounts to many thousands of affected subs. That is more than enough people to make negative noise be heard. See Reddit. Do not underestimate the overall influence of a vocal minority.

AJ

And they may leave to sprint… and find themselves throttled there too. And complain about sprint throttling policy.

No one has any idea if they're in top 3%.

Exactly! And this is the source of concern for T-Mobile users - there's no transparency. Justified or not, T-Mobile subscribers will whip themselves into a frenzy, and a certain segment will take action (such as switching to another carrier). 

• Like 1

Justified or not, T-Mobile subscribers will whip themselves into a frenzy, and a certain segment will take action (such as switching to another carrier). 

Meh. I don't think they'll switch in any meaningful number. The network still works fine, and it's not like they really have anywhere to go. Certainly, most of /r/tmobile isn't going to switch to Sprint.

(EDIT: moved comments about unlimited plan to here , since that's seems a more appropriate place to discuss it.

• Like 1

Legere also chided sprint for achieving the "#1 prepaid carrier".

Said they spent too much doing it.

Also said, kid you not, there's been "irrational competition" in prepaid space which is exact phrase duo used.

Just irrational pandering, no real point in this thread.

Last I read, it was much lower then everyone else.

I'm honestly not surprised that momentum is picking up in terms of ports away from Sprint. They may have the network going for them but customer service is still very lacking, plus the masses are always 2-4 years behind what's actually going on.

Everyone I know that had sprint either ditched them for VZW or T-Mo and haven't looked back. The last person I know with sprint can't stand them because of their awful CS. (She truly has had bad CS just from what she's told me) I personally left for the same reason.

Sprint postpaid ARPU  $58.90 

TMO postpaid ARPU is $46.43

I'm not sure if Sprint's ARPU includes equipment ?

TMO ARPU is just service and ABPU is ARPU+equipment

Sprint postpaid ARPU $58.90

I have to find where I saw but just last week I was reading that Sprints ARPU was the lowest partly due to the "Cut your bill in half" promotions.

Sprint postpaid ARPU  $58.90 

ARPU does not include device financing, but does include device subsidy payments.  T-Mobile has a much higher percentage of customers on device financing than Sprint does, so their ARPU will appear lower.

• Like 2

Explain how the needs are different. Everyone wants to save money.

It's marketing 101. What's not to understand?

How do you self-identify?

• Like 3

How do you self-identify?

My guess is Northern Trollish.

;)

AJ

• Like 11

I never took marketing.

Will sprint have a plan for single moms? That's certainly a relevant indicator of someone's life.

Single moms are not a culture. They are a demographic. This is a play for Hispanics, which would have a much different message marketed to them than other Cultural groups.

• Like 3

Well done, sir.

There are some slight dialect indicators, too, of ethnic Astroturfian.

;)

AJ

• Like 4