Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/las-vegas-nv/2015-1H

Las-Vegas...Sprint tied for number 1 overall. Sprint's second fastest there, right behind T-Mobile. :D

I was in Vegas late last year and was on 3G in a lot of places. Traveling to Vegas this weekend and hope it's an improvement and stay on LTE a lot
  • Like 1

I was in Vegas late last year and was on 3G in a lot of places. Traveling to Vegas this weekend and hope it's an improvement and stay on LTE a lot

I had the same issue in Denver last year.  I was amazed how much better it was this year.  Sounds like Vegas has had a similar turnaround.

• Like 1

Yeah, AT&T needs to increase their capital spend big time and get those additional relief bands deployed!  As an AT&T customer, I am seeing first hand wherever I travel significant decreases.  It's great for me in rural areas, but in the cities it is unusable in many urban areas.   :td:

I agree. AT&T needs to CA with PCS/AWS like mad and roll out the WCS fast. They already have done some PCS CAing in NJ, so I don't know what's holding them up from doing far more. 

Outside of NYC in the tri-state area, I'm happy to use AT&T over VZW. My calls no longer drop constantly on highways and back roads or go to voicemail, and whenever I want to just Google something or stream a video or some music, it just works

VZW was the worst data experience I've ever had from 2012 to this year, luckily not my personal phone. I do agree the results are humiliating, but I think people forget that the only reason VZW is still afloat in the speed category is the initial boost from throwing AWS around, and a user base largely in fear of using data due to extortionate prices. There are way more ways to use more data for cheap on AT&T and I think this and the fact that AT&T is not keeping up is the reason for this. 

AT&T is definitely crumbling, but for exceptions like me they aren't, and where Sprint has more 3G and roaming than LTE to this day (I'm crossing my fingers for a 180 turnaround by the end of this year), I really can't afford to ditch AT&T quite yet because they blow everyone else away where I work and play. I'm hoping and waiting for Sprint, but it's not worth my time or money yet. Then go into rural areas, and forget it; not even VZW users get a signal where I do.  :wacko:

Edited by cortney
  • Like 1

Yeah, AT&T needs to increase their capital spend big time and get those additional relief bands deployed! As an AT&T customer, I am seeing first hand wherever I travel significant decreases. It's great for me in rural areas, but in the cities it is unusable in many urban areas. :td:

Luckily for Chicagoans on AT&T they've managed to keep it steady the past year and a half or so, thanks to CA. Hopefully soon they refarm more PCS from WCDMA over to LTE, widening the B2 carrier to 10x10 and get that Leap AWS spectrum refarmed. After that we should be good to go a bit longer.

If not, hopefully AT&T's congestion holds out until Sprint gets optimized and I can head back over to them when that happens. Meanwhile AT&T's speeds are quite decent here and only slow in fringe areas where only weak B17 can be picked up, which isn't many.

• Like 1

This thread is getting pretty large. Can we put RootMetrics results in a new thread? It'd be cool to track progress as the reports roll in... Just my $0.02 (or $0.01, if you cut that bill in half). :)

• Like 6

This thread is getting pretty large. Can we put RootMetrics results in a new thread? It'd be cool to track progress as the reports roll in... Just my $0.02 (or $0.01, if you cut that bill in half). :)

I was planning on starting a thread at work but got caught up in a project. Haha

We're talking about adding in results from 125 markets, excluding airports.

Sent from my G2

RootMetrics should get its own thread -- by helping the cause and becoming a generous Premier sponsor.  SignalCheck has shown how it is done; RootMetrics can follow suit.

AJ

• Like 5

I was planning on starting a thread at work but got caught up in a project. Haha

We're talking about adding in results from 125 markets, excluding airports.

Sent from my G2

Sweet! Thanks!

Well on the Strip it should be fine although it won't be the fastest speeds since not all the sites on the Strip have been converted to NV and not to mention the large number of users that are on the Strip.  If you look on the map it looks like areas outside of the Strip are well covered with B41 LTE so I expect you will see good speeds in most parts of Las Vegas.

So Marcelo is really looking to make Sprint #1 with hispanic customers in US.

Sprint (NYSE:S) announced today the appointment of Roger Solé in a dual role: senior vice president for the Hispanic market and senior vice president of Innovation.

Solé, who will report to CEO Marcelo Claure, assumes a newly created role to lead all functions in Sprint’s new Hispanic business unit. Sprint sees the Hispanic market as one of the fastest growing segments of the U.S. population and an area where the company can gain leadership. On the innovation front, Claure said, Sprint welcomes an established global leader with years of experience in bringing new and different products and services to light.

Solé also will assume the role as president of Sprint Puerto Rico. All business functions in Puerto Rico will report to Solé, including general manager Patricia Eaves. Puerto Rico will be the hub for Sprint’s Latin creativity and innovation.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/roger-sol-cmo-tim-brasil-220800692.html

• Like 4

So Marcelo is really looking to make Sprint #1 with hispanic customers in US.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/roger-sol-cmo-tim-brasil-220800692.html

What needs are unique to Spanish speakers?

Are we gonna see plans unique to redheads? Maybe they have unique needs too. Who knows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

What needs are unique to Spanish speakers?

Are we gonna see plans unique to redheads? Maybe they have unique needs too. Who knows!

If there is a concentration of redheaded people living in a large community, state,  geographic designation in our country, then yes marketing specifically to them would make sense.   

The analogy is wrong, however.  There is real growth opportunity with Latinos and minorities in general when a business does directed marketing to their communities to distinguish itself among brands.  Boost is a fantastic example of successfully selling the exact same network to a targeted audience.  Verizon also pursued Latinos with the "Viva Movil" effort featuring Jennifer Lopez.  It was abandoned, but would have never been funded had the data not shown a real opportunity.  

• Like 5

Ouch. TMO/sprint porting is

Q4: 2.2

Q1: 2.4

Q2 (so far): 2.7

That's to be expected though. The Sprint customers in urban areas are the first to leave, and their first option is T-Mobile. Like I've said many times before, in some urban markets where T-Mobile has the site density, the service speaks for itself. Tower location is key, and it makes a difference for a customer.

• Like 5

It's likely those people who have Unlimited Data plans and use tons of data in their billing period. I say let them go.

I really am curious to see what Sprint's numbers look like next week.

• Like 2

That's to be expected though. The Sprint customers in urban areas are the first to leave, and their first option is T-Mobile. Like I've said many times before, in some urban markets where T-Mobile has the site density, the service speaks for itself. Tower location is key, and it makes a difference for a customer.

Exactly. Also, Sprint is heavily targeting AT&T and Verizon customers, not so much T-Mobile customers.
  • Like 1

Why is this most likely?

The biggest appeal is fast data speeds @ unlimited levels.  T-Mobile is great for that, in metro areas.  People with Sprint are often budget oriented to begin with.  The rate of people switching to Verizon/AT&T would be lower than to T-Mobile.

• Like 1

The biggest appeal is fast data speeds @ unlimited levels.  T-Mobile is great for that, in metro areas.  People with Sprint are often budget oriented to begin with.  The rate of people switching to Verizon/AT&T would be lower than to T-Mobile.

I thought Sprint ARPU - excludes phone payments - is higher than TMO.

?

I thought Sprint ARPU - excludes phone payments - is higher than TMO.

?

Last I read, it was much lower then everyone else.

I'm honestly not surprised that momentum is picking up in terms of ports away from Sprint. They may have the network going for them but customer service is still very lacking, plus the masses are always 2-4 years behind what's actually going on.

Everyone I know that had sprint either ditched them for VZW or T-Mo and haven't looked back. The last person I know with sprint can't stand them because of their awful CS. (She truly has had bad CS just from what she's told me) I personally left for the same reason.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see how T-Mobile's new throttling policy affects both their subscriber growth and overall subscriber numbers. Have spent some time thinking about and analyzing both. Particularly in regards to customers added within the past 2 years, stickiness is low. This is due to 2 reasons:

1. Not a longtime customer, so less brand loyalty
  2. More importantly, the very equipment installment plans that T-Mobile introduced to attract customers make it a lot easier to leave the carrier

Throttling is VERY Uncarrier. I am curious as to how they will address this from a marketing standpoint. I understand the necessity of throttling, but their customers don't - and won't.

I would expect to see these porting rations turn almost completely around very quickly - within just a quarter or two. Doubly so as Sprint continues to improve and expand its network at a very rapid pace. In-building penetration with Sprint is still worlds better than T-Mobile in non-700 MHz markets (such as Richmond, VA). As the Sprint network further evolves, it is going to leave the T-Mobile network in the dust behind it.

Not trying to get off topic, but I wouldn't get too wigged out over these numbers. They won't last. DT wants to make money.

• Like 2

Well, I take this to mean that rebanding is no where near complete along the southern board and probably won't be from years. That is really unfortunate as now along the southern board sprint will not have a competitive network for years no matter what they do. That is probably the most depressing thing I have read today.
  • Like 1