Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Since March 31st I've noticed the WiMax sites here in Pittsburgh (ones that I drive past daily at least) are running 2 carrier B41. It can progress quickly if they want it to.

• Like 2

I think the launch of Carrier Aggregation has been one of Sprint's most successful deployment's in terms of timing. NYC saw a substantial increase in speed and stability in a matter of weeks after the Wimax shutdown. 

Hopefully this is a prelude to how Sprint will handle these things moving forward.

• Like 3

I think the launch of Carrier Aggregation has been one of Sprint's most successful deployment's in terms of timing. NYC saw a substantial increase in speed and stability in a matter of weeks after the Wimax shutdown. 

Hopefully this is a prelude to how Sprint will handle these things moving forward.

I agree. On top of this, John Saw and Gunther Offendorfer have previously said that the densification would not be disruptive to the customer experience. (in one of those Harrison Wiley Show videos)

This is much better than in the past when Sprint was selling the iPhone 5 which supported LTE and Sprint's LTE network wasn't deployed that widely.

• Like 1

Since March 31st I've noticed the WiMax sites here in Pittsburgh (ones that I drive past daily at least) are running 2 carrier B41. It can progress quickly if they want it to.

Really? I didn't know the equipment in Pittsburgh could do a second carrier. Do you have a carrier aggregation capable phone? Just curious if that second carrier is accessible to those devices (third carrier on Sprint gear currently isn't since CA isn't enabled on it yet for some reason, so the device gets kicked off)

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Really? I didn't know the equipment in Pittsburgh could do a second carrier. Do you have a carrier aggregation capable phone? Just curious if that second carrier is accessible to those devices (third carrier on Sprint gear currently isn't since CA isn't enabled on it yet for some reason, so the device gets kicked off)

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Pretty much most of the Samsung Clearwire equipment could support it, at least in this market (NY, NJ, CT)

Marcelo stated on his Twitter that tomorrow he will go in dept on what he gathered from the listening tour he was on. Let's see how he applies what he was told and learned to sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if that second carrier is accessible to those devices (third carrier on Sprint gear currently isn't since CA isn't enabled on it yet for some reason, so the device gets kicked off)

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I have an s7, no aggregation yet unfortunately. The site I know is fed by a small microwave and speed tops out at 23 down. In fact, I've not hit above 40 down on any site in the 'burgh.

The site I know is fed by a small microwave...

Are you talking about me?  I frequently am fed by a small microwave.  Mostly, organic frozen meals and soups.

AJ

• Like 9

I have an s7, no aggregation yet unfortunately. The site I know is fed by a small microwave and speed tops out at 23 down. In fact, I've not hit above 40 down on any site in the 'burgh.

Are you talking clearwire? I didn't know clearwire B41 was live. Because Sprint B41² has been live for a while 72 that I have been to.

If you want to be sure to get 40+ down then come to connellsville 2xCA live and 50+ Mbps but I used to get those speeds before the second carrier went live.

It's actually closer to a 3, 4 or 5 month delay for the respective markets.

See the WiMAX Shutdown Schedule: http://www.mobilebeacon.org/wimax-shutdown/

This pushed everything back a few months at least.

True but I would pay ovt. Sprint can't afford to miss this target date. It would be another fail. Sprint is probably the only provider that would be held the exact time frame. Ever since Tmo came out and lit up Lte in such a short time frame no matter what sprint says it's considered an excuse and a badly run company. Marcelo needs to get this done after all he did say it.

• Like 2

With the delay of the WiMax shutdown, should we add a few months to Marcelo's timeline?

As someone who has spent a lot of time in IT working with regular old Joes that just want their computer to connect to the internet, I say no. Most regular people have to idea what the hell WiMAX is (was) and offering the whole WiMAX situation as an excuse to them is pointless. Most regular people just want things to work and they honestly couldn't care less how or why they work. On top of that, NGN was going to be the one thing that really improved sprints network before the end of the 18-24 months. As far as I know, the WiMAX hold up didn't affect NGN's timeline at all. NGN was about densifying and installing new small cells. Whether sprint has 40mhz of free spectrum or 60mhz of free spectrum doesn't affect their ability to install small cells. Yes, maybe lack of spectrum affects their ability to use them but that's all resolved now isn't it? And we're still pretty far away from the final date...

• Like 2

Looks like the RF telecom guy is showing a couple more spots where small cells are being deployed. Together with the Baltimore article and the MN article. It's safe to say that small cell deployment is moving forward in quite a few places.

• Like 2

Is this company going to buy the 600? Sounds like good news for sprint.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-t-mobile-among-104-applicants-fccs-600-mhz-incentive-auction/2016-03-18

According to the list, Network LeaseCo is not on there and most likely not the one bidding for 600. 

Looks like the RF telecom guy is showing a couple more spots where small cells are being deployed. Together with the Baltimore article and the MN article. It's safe to say that small cell deployment is moving forward in quite a few places.

Baltimore article?

One thing I learned from that press release, is that the legal notifications regarding "Forward-Looking Statements" keeps getting longer with additional protective legal advisories in every subsequent press release I read.

This sounds like the server is congested. When your testing, make sure to try different servers. Alot of times the nearest servers have the worst performance due to congestion, especially as more people run speedtest and leave it on the default server.

Yea the onus is on you, to call to get the credit which is $10 ( to mitigate the $30 activation fee) . Is it worth it to call numerous times, hoping to get the right rep and hoping to get a $10 credit from said rep? Who knows, that is up to the individual.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I haven't experienced anything like you described when purchasing a phone through Sprint, and requesting my activation fee be removed or refunded. I've bought plenty of Sprint devices since 2000.

I haven't experienced anything like you described when purchasing a phone through Sprint, and requesting my activation fee be removed or refunded. I've bought plenty of Sprint devices since 2000.

I've done this almost every upgrade.  I call in, just ask if they can waive it and they did it 95% of the time, also saying "It's a one time thing since you've been a loyal Sprint customer." ;)

That article is almost a month old...things may have changed...

Wouldn't that be something if SoftBank bid on the Spectrum? I wouldn't put it past Masa/Marcelo to do something clever like this....