Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So Sprint's adding an Amazon Prime add-on feature. For $10.99 per month you can add amazon prime to your phone bill.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=12168

That's a 33% premium over getting it direct from Amazon. I guess some people won't care. Or they'll just want it for a month here and there.

Maybe they don't know that April fools day is tomorrow... Lol

• Like 2

I hate I hate I hate I hate going into sprint stores.

I came into the store to activate a iPhone 6s that is unlocked that I had wth T-Mobile because the rep couldn't do it over phone. So I told the rep that I need to swap phones on my line and somewhere it was lost in translation and they activated the damn phone on another line on my account. The rep asks me do I have that other phone. I looked at that rep and said no that's a other persons line. So they had to call and get the stuff fixed and add the phones to the right numbers. I just don't understand why the reps don't listen. I've never had a good experience when going into their stores. I try by all means to stay away.

Now is it true that a sprint store can not help a person with a Virgin mobile account? A guy walked into the store needing help and the rep had no clue sprint owned virgin mobile and when I said they do she said oh well we only have access to sprint and boost. Crazy thing is this person was training a new hire. I just don't get it with these stores where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch. I've learned which reps are good and bad. Unfortunately it seems like they have more bad apples then good, but that's my opinion especially for the Best Buy mobile here. (Look at my story in the Framily thread on here and you'll see why)

I hope as they continue to change their image being a better network, more - and better - reps will get hired. There are definitely good ones out there, it's just knowing who they are. Sorry you've had bud luck.

• Like 1

The "no activation fees" party was nothing more than a carrot to bait people out of contracts. They are backtracking on all of those carrots now. And its only a matter of time before all of the old fee padding habits returns to all the carriers to accompany "contract freedom"

The "no activation fees" party was nothing more than a carrot to bait people out of contracts. They are backtracking on all of those carrots now. And its only a matter of time before all of the old fee padding habits returns to all the carriers to accompany "contract freedom"

All the major carriers are charging something upfront for activation. I think the craziest commentary about this was that T-Mobile's $20 SIM Card fee was OK because it was for a tangible product. That seems to gloss over the obvious markup issues. I wouldn't mind a small SIM charge to make sure people weren't just walking off with a bunch of free SIM's, but a reasonable fee would be $5, even $10 wouldn't upset me all that much. 

AT&T = $15 activation

T-Mobile = $20 SIM Card charged at activation 

Verizon = $20 activation

Sprint = $30 activation

People have to look past this or negotiate it out if at all possible. If I leave Verizon and go to either AT&T or T-Mobile (unfortunately Sprint isn't available where I live) I am going to do my best to negotiate the SIM/activation fee off the sale. 

Hassle and haggle pricing isn't dead, unfortunately.  Now to be perfectly honest, the cost of data has went way down due to competition. That said, you know good and well the carriers, all of them, are going to sneak fees back in.

• Like 5

Pat Devlin Joins Sprint as President, Northeast Area; Mariano Legaz Named Chief Procurement Officer

Just announced. Both are former Verizon Region Presidents....

Before joining Sprint, Devlin was the Verizon Wireless New York metro regional president for more than seven years, and the Washington, D.C./Baltimore/Virginia regional president for more than six years. During his more than 20 years at Verizon, Devlin also served as senior vice president of National Distribution and Operations. Throughout his career he has held a variety of leadership positions in sales, operations and distribution. He also was in various sales and operations roles at Bell Atlantic, which merged with GTE Corp. to create Verizon in 2000. Before Bell Atlantic, he was an auditor at accounting consultancy Coopers & Lybrand, a predecessor to PriceWaterhouseCoopers.

Before joining Sprint, Legaz was the Verizon Wireless Florida region president, where he oversaw nearly 2,400 employees and was responsible for sales, operations, marketing, distribution, customer service and financial performance. During his more than 16 years at Verizon, Legaz also served as senior vice president-Supply Chain Services, vice president-Sourcing, and director-Capital Planning and Analysis. Before Verizon, Mariano worked for a leading wireless company in Argentina.

These are solid hires by Marcelo.

• Like 4

People have to look past this or negotiate it out if at all possible. If I leave Verizon and go to either AT&T or T-Mobile (unfortunately Sprint isn't available where I live) I am going to do my best to negotiate the SIM/activation fee off the sale. 

Hassle and haggle pricing isn't dead, unfortunately.  Now to be perfectly honest, the cost of data has went way down due to competition. That said, you know good and well the carriers, all of them, are going to sneak fees back in.

That doesnt really work in this industry

"Sure we'll waive the activation fee"

*1 month later, activation fee on bill*

*call customer care*

"I am sorry you were told the activation fee would be waived, we cant do that"

• Like 2

*call customer care*

He would probably be given bill credit if he complains enough. Sprint reps over the phone are quick to offer you Bill Credit even for the smallest inconveniences.

He would probably be given bill credit if he complains enough. Sprint reps over the phone are quick to offer you Bill Credit even for the smallest inconveniences.

After you constantly talk over the rep.

• Like 2

Just according to Fortune, Walmart in conjunction with AT&T, Verizon and Sprint (not T-Mobile) is offering a $100 discount on all iPhones and $150 off on all Samsung phones including the S7. You will have to visit the local Walmart store and you will have to sign up for an installment plan with one of the carriers.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/walmart-iphone-offer/?xid=yahoo_fortune

• Like 1

Yea the onus is on you, to call to get the credit which is $10 ( to mitigate the $30 activation fee) . Is it worth it to call numerous times, hoping to get the right rep and hoping to get a $10 credit from said rep? Who knows, that is up to the individual.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yea the onus is on you, to call to get the credit which is $10 ( to mitigate the $30 activation fee) . Is it worth it to call numerous times, hoping to get the right rep and hoping to get a $10 credit from said rep? Who knows, that is up to the individual.

The best way to get an issue resolved when a store representative has lied or given misinformation to a customer, is to contact either the retentions department or the executive relations/response department.

Also, regarding earlier comments about how much of a hassle it is visiting Sprint stores, that was my biggest complaint about Sprint. The employees at the Sprint stores I went to were awful to me, all except an assistant manager at one of the stores who no longer works there. If I get back on Sprint soon, which looks like a possibility now they've fixed the only network issue I had which was the weak PCS, I'm going to get back on Sprint through the higher ups on a friend of mine's Everything Data plan. Not dealing with the stores ought to make this a much better experience.

Really? One time I called because I kept missing calls and my phone wasn't ringing. The rep immediately credited my bill for $20.

It's not that hard to get credit if you're nice to them about it. But then again, this was before Marcelo announced layoffs so I don't know if the new call center will be willing to do that.

All the major carriers are charging something upfront for activation. I think the craziest commentary about this was that T-Mobile's $20 SIM Card fee was OK because it was for a tangible product. That seems to gloss over the obvious markup issues. I wouldn't mind a small SIM charge to make sure people weren't just walking off with a bunch of free SIM's, but a reasonable fee would be $5, even $10 wouldn't upset me all that much. 

AT&T = $15 activation

T-Mobile = $20 SIM Card charged at activation 

Verizon = $20 activation

Sprint = $30 activation

Meh.  I hope that Sprint maintains the hardline about reducing to $30 yet never comping activation/upgrade fees.  Negotiating with front line representatives and managers increases the need for retail or customer service employees and managers.  I would rather that most of those unskilled workers go away, especially the brick and mortar versions.  Increasing that front line employee usage to haggle over fees increases costs for Sprint and prices for you, me, and all of us.  Some trivial one time fees you just accept and move on with life.  Seriously.

AJ

• Like 1

*call customer care*

This is why all act fees are paid at the POS no more surprises on bills, no more wasted time and resources with people calling care for credits.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This is why all act fees are paid at the POS no more surprises on bills, no more wasted time and resources with people calling care for credits.

Yeah, I hope that holds true.  But I do not hold much hope.  People still will complain, wasting time and resources.  The old adage that "The customer is always right" has become increasingly wrong.  So many modern consumers are insufferable.

AJ

Yeah, I hope that holds true. But I do not hold much hope. People still will complain, wasting time and resources. The old adage that "The customer is always right" has become increasingly wrong. So many modern consumers are insufferable.

AJ

Suprisingly people have been very receptive of it at my store.

Suprisingly people have been very receptive of it at my store.

That is great news.  Yoda like -- do or do not -- pay any fees upfront and do not complain later.  I hope that continues where you are located and elsewhere.

AJ

Yeah, I hope that holds true.  But I do not hold much hope.  People still will complain, wasting time and resources.  The old adage that "The customer is always right" has become increasingly wrong.  So many modern consumers are insufferable.

AJ

My daughter just got a new iPhone 6s on 2yr upgrade on my plan. When the rep told me it was now a $30 instead of $36 activation and it was paid at the POS instead of a month later on my bill, I was happy. For me not only does that mean a lower activation fee, but it also means I don't have to collect the $36 from my family members and apply it to the bill a month later. So no complaining from me. I approve.

• Like 5

Sprint posted this in its Newsroom:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/consumer-advisory.htm

Looks like a lot of people have been turning in their leased devices to other carriers when porting out from Sprint.

Sprint is going to start sending these customers advisory texts stating their lease obligations starting on April 4th.

"Sprint respects the right of its customers to switch carriers, but we want them to make informed decisions. Starting April 4, the company will begin notifying those customers via text message of their lease obligations when they move to a different carrier."

"Designed to help those customers comply with their lease terms, the text will read: “NOTICE-Sprint is processing your number porting request. Per your lease, return the device to Sprint or pay the full balance before selling or trading.” "

• Like 2

Sprint posted this in its Newsroom:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/consumer-advisory.htm

Looks like a lot of people have been turning in their leased devices to other carriers when porting out from Sprint.

Sprint is going to start sending these customers advisory texts stating their lease obligations starting on April 4th.

"Sprint respects the right of its customers to switch carriers, but we want them to make informed decisions. Starting April 4, the company will begin notifying those customers via text message of their lease obligations when they move to a different carrier."

"Designed to help those customers comply with their lease terms, the text will read: “NOTICE-Sprint is processing your number porting request. Per your lease, return the device to Sprint or pay the full balance before selling or trading.” "

Well I don't disagree with this if it was a leased device.
  • Like 1

Well I don't disagree with this if it was a leased device.

It will also help retain customers since most of the carrier's switch offers require you to turn in your old phone, which you're not supposed do with a leased device.
  • Like 1

It will also help retain customers since most of the carrier's switch offers require you to turn in your old phone, which you're not supposed do with a leased device.

What? Just pay the remaining lease payments and the buy out option and it is your device.

Can you clarify this?

I upgraded on Saturday at Best Buy and was told 36 would appear on my next bill

Can you clarify this?

National retail hasntswitched over yet. Corp stores, telesales, website and third party sprint stores all collect either $30 when you do 1 line or $60 when you do 2 or more lines immediately at the point of sale.

Can you clarify this?

When I upgraded at a Sprint store, I paid upfront.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7