Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I find it interesting that with Sprint having made so many improvements, particularly with its network that still is ongoing and getting much better, FierceWireless which has been one of the most anti-Sprint websites on the internet with its frequent click-bait Magentan-seeking anti-Sprint articles, now has lost its second main staff member, Sue Marek :

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/farewell-readers/2016-03-02

I realize the article was from earlier in the month, just I hadn't noticed it, until now. I've refrained from visiting FierceWireless for a while, due to disliking their hypocrisy. I don't mind criticism every so often when its valid, but FW was just too over the top with their attacks on Sprint, which now seems ironic to me they are losing so many of its writers now that Sprint is doing so much better that these writers now don't have as much to write about.

• Like 2

No, the Marcelo thread will not be renamed.  It has existed for years and has nearly 500,000 views.  Renaming it would disrupt past search engine indexing.

AJ

Well, I only mentioned it because it might help to prevent these kind of threads. Since S4GRU has renamed threads in the past to better reflect the nature of the topic presented, I figured to mention the possibility here for the Marcelo thread. While SEO is important, it isn't everything. Sometimes renamed threads can help to make SEO better, if they are renamed appropriately. I thought your mention regarding the purpose of the thread was rather good, AJ, and would be quite fitting for a rename. 

I find it interesting that with Sprint having made so many improvements, particularly with its network that still is ongoing and getting much better, FierceWireless which has been one of the most anti-Sprint websites on the internet with its frequent click-bait Magentan-seeking anti-Sprint articles, now has lost its second main staff member, Sue Marek :

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/farewell-readers/2016-03-02

I realize the article was from earlier in the month, just I hadn't noticed it, until now. I've refrained from visiting FierceWireless for a while, due to disliking their hypocrisy. I don't mind criticism every so often when its valid, but FW was just too over the top with their attacks on Sprint, which now seems ironic to me they are losing so many of its writers now that Sprint is doing so much better that these writers now don't have as much to write about.

Phil Goldstein did good work and he's gone too. Too bad. I just think Fierce runs a tempest in a teapot, whoever it is that ran the article Fierce ran on the Netflix downgrading didn't bother to call Netflix and ask if they were downgrading content to 360p. It turns out milan03 found that Netflix streams were converted down to 512x384 on his Verizon and AT&T devices. I also found the same bit rate as him on a Verizon Galaxy Note 5. Turns out the Wall Street Journal found out that Netflix was doing the down converting by contacting Netflix and getting a response. Turns out Fierce missed a huge scoop because they lazy [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] . I credit Milan for finding the actual bit rate but Fierce missed out on the big scoop.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Phil Goldstein did good work and he's gone too. Too bad. I just think Fierce runs a tempest in a teapot, whoever it is that ran the article Fierce ran on the Netflix downgrading didn't bother to call Netflix and ask if they were downgrading content to 360p. It turns out milan03 found that Netflix streams were converted down to 512x384 on his Verizon and AT&T devices. I also found the same bit rate as him on a Verizon Galaxy Note 5. Turns out the Wall Street Journal found out that Netflix was doing the down converting by contacting Netflix and getting a response. Turns out Fierce missed a huge scoop because they lazy [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] . I credit Milan for finding the actual bit rate but Fierce missed out on the big scoop.

even though the Sprint Note 5 supports hd nexflix mine will not go higher than 720px480p even on wifi. Netflix is lying about hd support for alot of devices. I have 100mbps internet and have no problems with it on my 4k tv.

What?? That would be strange news indeed. What kind of source do you have that informed of you this proposed change? I think it will be bad to make it mandatory.

I was calling in to do a change of ownership, the sprint employee told me that this was coming and it already started last year with some other accounts. He said it was going in different groups but going to cover everyone eventually.

I found myself a little frustrated. He said debit or credit cards.

I am hoping they he is saying no more cash mailing in checks?

As a cost cutting mean, pay through sprint app or online or sprint store kiosk. I found it strange because most other companies warn you about a drastic change like this well ahead of time. However maybe that letter of warning is what's coming at the end of April ?

• Like 2

I swear someone is paying for press

I never heard about Tmo when they were out recently but it's all over the news (local) about sprints outage here in the northeast!

even though the Sprint Note 5 supports hd nexflix mine will not go higher than 720px480p even on wifi. Netflix is lying about hd support for alot of devices. I have 100mbps internet and have no problems with it on my 4k tv.

I wouldn't say they are lying. I would say that Netflix should have disclosed what their basic compression rates are for each carrier before this became a giant shouting match on the Internet. I don't blame them necessarily but I do think they could have disclosed this before it became a big deal.

I wouldn't say they are lying. I would say that Netflix should have disclosed what their basic compression rates are for each carrier before this became a giant shouting match on the Internet. I don't blame them necessarily but I do think they could have disclosed this before it became a big deal.

No but even on my wifi there is no hd but it clearly states that the note 5 on all carriers supports hd video playback.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

No but even on my wifi there is no hd but it clearly states that the note 5 on all carriers supports hd video playback.

What price tier are you in on Netflix, because I have no problem getting hd on my gflex 2 and I pay for the premium b package.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

What price tier are you in on Netflix, because I have no problem getting hd on my gflex 2 and I pay for the premium b package.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

The $12 4k option

Well, if you are going to talk about merging, then at least lock the thread so it can be merged, lol.

​As far as auto bill pay, I do this already.  I auto bill all my bills on a single credit card, get that free money, and only have a single bill at the end of the month.  If Sprint does this, it would be nice to at least get like $5 discount or something.

• Like 1

720p is an HD standard. 

No offense to joshuam who started the Marcelo thread, not trying to criticize his choice of thread naming. However, perhaps the Marcelo thread could be renamed to the "Sprint Business and Policy Thread". It might help for clarity.

I didn't name this thread, it was merged from a few different threads back in the day. My post just happens to be first.

FYSA...no Sprint outage in Maryland today. Must have been further north.

• Like 1

It was experienced in the Harrisburg area including Shentel coverage/side of the division between Hburg & Lancaster.  I think it finally cleared up around 10-11am or so, I was so busy at work i couldn't tell for sure, but driving in this morning I started to wonder if my phone was starting to go bad.

• Like 1

I didn't name this thread, it was merged from a few different threads back in the day. My post just happens to be first.

FYSA...no Sprint outage in Maryland today. Must have been further north.

I see. I figured you did as your name is listed as "started by". I didn't intend to be offensive with my suggestion, which is why I mentioned it. There isn't a problem with the name of the thread and wasn't really complaining about it, but rather trying to figure out something more generalized that might help from there being unnecessary new threads made when those posts could go here, Just trying to be helpful.

Regarding the outages, I agree with those here mentioning the hypocrisy in media coverage about it. The media seems to come out in full force attacking Sprint for outages, but not T-Mobile. I'd be more upset about it, if it were not for the recent announcement that Twitter gave John Legere his own emoji. That angers me, as I see it as a discriminatory action against other Twitter users. Everyone ought to be given an emoji or no one. However, I'd be fine with Twitter having a special banner, or other type of notification based on number of tweets, followers, following, etc. as an across the board award system based on a number of matched qualifications. That would make the system fair all around, rather than Twitter getting to pick and choose who gets what.

To note, I don't use Twitter, so I'm not aware if there already is such systems in place on Twitter or not. Though there ought to be, I think.

Regarding the outages, I agree with those here mentioning the hypocrisy in media coverage about it. The media seems to come out in full force attacking Sprint for outages, but not T-Mobile.

Sprint got their reputation hurt incredibly by the bad service that happened during the rip and replace. That, IMO, explains some of the reporting, as well as Sprint's current focus on reliability.

Source: Marcelo Claure in various interviews and analyst events.

• Like 2

Sprint got their reputation hurt incredibly by the bad service that happened during the rip and replace. That, IMO, explains some of the reporting, as well as Sprint's current focus on reliability.

Source: Marcelo Claure in various interviews and analyst events.

I completely understand Sprint has had a very difficult past.

Last year when I complained about my Sprint service, specifically the PCS issue, not the store issues, I read around online and noticed many other people were having similar issues with the speeds dropping to barely unusable levels, After putting together the knowledge I've learned online (particularly from S4GRU) about spectrum, congestion, and how speeds can be affected by those, I realized in my situation the problem wasn't network based as I and many other people had great speeds using band 41 on Sprint's network. Rather, it was the weaker PCS spectrum that was in areas band 41 didn't cover as well, so many people were being crammed into that 5x5 of PCS spectrum.

While I hated that experience, I also noted what was the opposite of that whenever I was in the Schaumburg area of the Chicago market. Band 41 is very strong there covering much of Schaumburg. In rush hour, speeds rarely got below 15mbps on band 41, this being before 2xca was implemented. Whereas T-Mobile at the time on 10x10 AWS got around 3mbps or less, the same miserable experience as when people were crammed onto 5x5 PCS with Sprint. Since then, Sprint has added 2xca on band 41 and increased PCS to 10x10. So, the experience on band 41 having a boost to what already was great, and the increase of PCS extremely necessary to give at least usable levels now, Sprint deserves to at least be given a fair chance.

I really don't think the media is being fair in its coverage. Sure Sprint has had its issues, which I've noted from my experiences with Sprint now of course realizing what was causing the issues. Although that doesn't mean there ought to be a disparity in media treatment when comparing T-Mobile's outages and Sprint's outages. That will happen. Actually, I found it pretty stingy when Magentans on TmoNews who seem to love praising T-Mobile every chance they get were gleaming at the fact they got a few dollars credit for the few hours or so downtime when they called CS about it. I didn't even bother despite that I pretty much loathe T-Mobile. A bad customer service experience deserves credit, a seriously long downtime of days deserves credit, but not the miniscule amount of time it was down for/having difficulty. Yet these supposedly are serious T-Mobile loyalists. I just didn't really see a need to blame or get something from T-Mobile for something that is naturally going to happen. Nor do I think Sprint needs to be attacked for this as well.

Chicago is at the short end of the stick spectrum wise, though. Hence the term "spectrum constrained market."

T-Mobile could have acquired USCC customers and assets for Chicago and been in a much better place there, and deployed 20x20 LTE in band 2, but that was their strategic error. No reason that T-Mobile couldn't be in the same boat as, say, NY, if they just acquired USCC assets. Same for B12 and PCS in STL for that matter.

Minor correction: 15x15 would be the largest possible LTE channel in STL if UMTS and GSM get left up.

• Like 2

So, just curious.  Does anyone know/think if Sprint will expand their 800Mhz presence?  IIRC, B26 is a superset of B5, which makes the spectrum available for B26-use, if the spectrum is contiguous.  I feel like Sprint could really use a 10x10 channel before the time 600Mhz is available.

So, just curious.  Does anyone know/think if Sprint will expand their 800Mhz presence?  IIRC, B26 is a superset of B5, which makes the spectrum available for B26-use, if the spectrum is contiguous.  I feel like Sprint could really use a 10x10 channel before the time 600Mhz is available.

Yes, the dominant Cellular 850 MHz license holders VZW and AT&T are eager to sell off some of that spectrum to Sprint or any other takers.

:P

AJ

• Like 5

Yes, the dominant Cellular 850 MHz license holders VZW and AT&T are eager to sell off some of that spectrum to Sprint or any other takers.

:P

AJ

Well, there's other regional carriers that might be interested.  USCC has B5 spectrum in some areas.