Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Bought 500 S @ 5.86 today.  I decided to take a chance, I just don't see softbank not turning this thing around.

I almost pulled the trigger on a bunch myself but I decided to just wait a little.  If gets any lower in the next day or so then I will jump all over it for sure.

• Like 2

Backhaul is(biggest) problem too slow adding it to nv 1.0 . Paying for 4g in your area you cant get yet ,biggest hurddle. Imagine going in sprint store and buying 4g phone , then go outside be on slow 3g paying high price .

Who wouldn't want free service? Flippant questions aside, I want a competitive Sprint and right now their framily plan loses to the current T-Mobile 4 lines @ $100 for 10 GB data (2.5 GB each line). Even with a 7 person framily you would only get 4 lines @$100 for 4 GB of data (1 GB each line). So in my eyes Sprint either needs to revamp framily or entice users to purchase higher data limits with better pricing/discounts there. In addition to that the burden for a new user to get that $25 line is higher at Sprint than T-Mobile as a direct comparison would have the Sprint customers paying either $160 for 4 lines @ 1GB or $200 for 4 lines @ 3GB each. By some metrics Sprint DOES have worse service already and as a customer I expect pricing in line with T-Mobile rather than the superior networks that AT&T and Verizon offer. 

The massive profits in the industry will continue to be divided 3/4ths or more between the duopoly and leave Sprint and T-Mobile fighting for the rest until they can offer a truly competitive network. T-Mobile is much further from this than Sprint in terms of a true nationwide network but they absolutely do have a blazing fast network in core metro areas.

Sprint's pricing(being nearly that of VZ and ATT) doesn't reflect their network capability on a national scale as a whole.  They aren't up to VZ and ATT standards yet.  They will have to lower their cost to clients(both business and residential) do get folks back.  once they get their first nv upgrades done with full lte coverage everywhere then their pricing at it's current levels will be justified..:)

• Like 3

Backhaul is(biggest) problem too slow adding it to nv 1.0 . Paying for 4g in your area you cant get yet ,biggest hurddle. Imagine going in sprint store and buying 4g phone , then go outside be on slow 3g paying high price .

How does this add to the conversation and not considered a negative comment which is against posting guidelines?

Don't worry, I'll wait....

My only concern is how can Marcelo expedite network roll out differently than Dan Hesse? If Dan Hesse was having issues with backhaul and the vendors, would those problems carry over as well?

Luckily NV 1.0 is largely complete so most of it is overlaying with 800/2.5 which shouldn't take long but some areas where they haven't touched yet or barely touched, I don't see a big improvement happening soon

My only concern is how can Marcelo expedite network roll out differently than Dan Hesse? If Dan Hesse was having issues with backhaul and the vendors, would those problems carry over as well?

Luckily NV 1.0 is largely complete so most of it is overlaying with 800/2.5 which shouldn't take long but some areas where they haven't touched yet or barely touched, I don't see a big improvement happening soon

Perhaps Sprint was "holding back" on customer and network initiatives while chasing a fantasy SprinT-Mobile; similar to the period when T-Mobile was stagnating under the AT&T bid.

Perhaps Sprint was "holding back" on customer and network initiatives while chasing a fantasy SprinT-Mobile; similar to the period when T-Mobile was stagnating under the AT&T bid.

I was thinking that as well. I don't expect major changes but I feel we will lean more at the Sprint event August 19th.

• Like 1

Looks like Dish is considering joining forces with Sprint. Again.

Sprint buys USCC and forms a spectrum hosting agreement with Dish

Masa/Marcelo/Charlie take down Legere!!

http://m1.marketwatch.com/articles/BL-MWTELLB-15361?mobile=y&mobile=y

Ergen had some very nice words about departing Sprint CEO Dan Hesse on that call. What is Hesse's future plans?

Ergen had some very nice words about Dan Hesse on that call. What is the outgoing Sprint CEO's future plans?

I have no idea. I think his main goal is to complete NV both 1 and 2.

I think it would be great if they can overlay 2.5 spectrum on all 38k sites by end of next year. I know that's a big goal but I feel it's it can be done.

Also have Volte nationwide by years end of next year and convert some clear wire towers into NO towers.

I think it would be great if they can overlay 2.5 spectrum on all 38 sites by end of next year. I know that's a big goal but I feel it's it can be done.

Also have Volte nationwide by years end of next year and convert some clear wire towers into NO towers.

they could do 38 sites easily within a few weeks :rasp:

• Like 2

I see the 4g fee in the wild about as much as i see bigfoot....they don't exist. Although i do hope big foot could exist, that would be pretty cool  :rasp:

Sprint's pricing(being nearly that of VZ and ATT) doesn't reflect their network capability on a national scale as a whole.  They aren't up to VZ and ATT standards yet.  They will have to lower their cost to clients(both business and residential) do get folks back.  once they get their first nv upgrades done with full lte coverage everywhere then their pricing at it's current levels will be justified.. :)

There is not a lot of wiggle room in price nowadays. I'm still convinced that Sprint needs to offer more value in their plans. It may also be time for Sprint to revisit a comprehensive customer retention program.

• Like 2

I think it would be great if they can overlay 2.5 spectrum on all 38k sites by end of next year. I know that's a big goal but I feel it's it can be done.

I mean what is Dan Hesse's plans now that he is leaving Sprint?

I mean what is Dan Hesse's plans now that he is leaving Sprint?

Buy a small country and live as Dan The Man.

AJ

• Like 3

There are plenty of companies out there that could have provided backhaul more timely than the people Sprint chose.

I really don't think should lower pricing at all. They need the revenue and they're already very competitive. This fall I'll be just over $100/month for two phones, one with unlimited data and hotspot service. That's great value to me.

• Like 1

Maybe Marcelo can help with speeding up NV 1.0/2.0 on the network front by getting the network staff and Saw to be aggressive with the vendors to meet their deadlines.  Either way certainly Marcelo can help with reshaping its image and some of its current plans to be more clear.  I still can't tell if the Framily campaign has been successful up until this point.  I think some proactive ideas from Marcelo and the marketing team to help to get folks to try sprint should also be added to the list of priorities.  

I think the 7 day trial run...no strings attached idea for the iPhone was brilliant by Tmobile.  It not only gave exposure to the iPhone but people can do a true test comparing the Tmobile network to their current provider. Sprint should implement something like that. Maybe another thing could do is extend the trial period from 14 days to 30 days back to what it was before so that it gives customers more time to evaluate the service. I still think the Framily idea is too expensive for the first few lines and to need 7 folks to get down to $25/line is ridiculous.  The first few Framily lines need the price to be lower by another $5 or $10.   I think at this point getting a higher ARPU is not the main priority when you are bleeding customers.  Sprint could also bring back the loyalty premier program for 10+ year customers so that there is a sense of pride to be a Sprint customers and offer some sort of perks for remaining loyal to Sprint through the growing pains of Network Vision.  Certainly Sprint has a HUGE image problem regardless of how much progress it has made with Network Vision and there is plenty for Marcelo to start on once he gets his feet wet with the current Sprint operations.

• Like 4

Maybe Marcelo can help with speeding up NV 1.0/2.0 on the network front by getting the network staff and Saw to be aggressive with the vendors to meet their deadlines. Either way certainly Marcelo can help with reshaping its image and some of its current plans to be more clear. I still can't tell if the Framily campaign has been successful up until this point. I think some proactive ideas from Marcelo and the marketing team to help to get folks to try sprint should also be added to the list of priorities.

I think the 7 day trial run...no strings attached idea for the iPhone was brilliant by Tmobile. It not only gave exposure to the iPhone but people can do a true test comparing the Tmobile network to their current provider. Sprint should implement something like that. Maybe another thing could do is extend the trial period from 14 days to 30 days back to what it was before so that it gives customers more time to evaluate the service. I still think the Framily idea is too expensive for the first few lines and to need 7 folks to get down to $25/line is ridiculous. The first few Framily lines need the price to be lower by another $5 or $10. I think at this point getting a higher ARPU is not the main priority when you are bleeding customers. Sprint could also bring back the loyalty premier program for 10+ year customers so that there is a sense of pride to be a Sprint customers and offer some sort of perks for remaining loyal to Sprint through the growing pains of Network Vision. Certainly Sprint has a HUGE image problem regardless of how much progress it has made with Network Vision and there is plenty for Marcelo to start on once he gets his feet wet with the current Sprint operations.

Starting June 27 any new customer to sprint or existing customer adding a new line has 30 days to try out Sprint service. Customer who upgrade still have 14 days to try out their service.

I think the new plans Sprint are testing are great but I still feel sprint should keep family for those customers who want group share discount and prefer separate bills.

I think the Sprint premier program was awesome but they would have to revamp it since things are different now than what it was years ago. Maybe let easy pay customers upgrade every 6 months and unlimited data for free for 6 months as well

In all honesty sprint negative image isn't because or the plans it's more because of the network. She shouldn't release innovative plans if the network isn't there to keep those Verizon and att customers on Sprint.

The network has made a huge progress compared to what it was last year but some key markets still need TLC

• Like 2

I think the 7 day trial run...no strings attached idea for the iPhone was brilliant by Tmobile.  It not only gave exposure to the iPhone but people can do a true test comparing the Tmobile network to their current provider. Sprint should implement something like that. Maybe another thing could do is extend the trial period from 14 days to 30 days back to what it was before so that it gives customers more time to evaluate the service. I still think the Framily idea is too expensive for the first few lines and to need 7 folks to get down to $25/line is ridiculous.  The first few Framily lines need the price to be lower by another $5 or $10.   I think at this point getting a higher ARPU is not the main priority when you are bleeding customers.  Sprint could also bring back the loyalty premier program for 10+ year customers so that there is a sense of pride to be a Sprint customers and offer some sort of perks for remaining loyal to Sprint through the growing pains of Network Vision.  Certainly Sprint has a HUGE image problem regardless of how much progress it has made with Network Vision and there is plenty for Marcelo to start on once he gets his feet wet with the current Sprint operations.

This is something that could be Sprint's "uncarrier' move.  While they do need new subs, the also need to hold on to the ones they have.  Maybe a tiered discount based on uninterrupted years as a customer.  Maybe a phone discount program for loyal customers. Whatever stuff they come up with I think they need to keep their long time customers in mind and not just focus their efforts on new subs.

• Like 3

They truly have an uphill battle when an article pops up like this:

http://www.cnet.com/news/4g-lte-showdown-how-fast-is-your-carrier/

They tested in ONE LOCATION (and likely not on Spark B41 either)

And the speed of downloading websites isn't that different.

I can't fault the author - it's not like VZW said "Test it in an XLTE market!" or T-Mobile said "Make sure you test in an urban core!" - the results are likely what people are experiencing in markets that haven't been fully upgraded or only have band 25.

Come back to this in a year from now when Sprint's network is tuned and optimized and you'll see a different story.

• Like 1