Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

That's the thing this party needs to happen now not in a year by then Sprints image would be even worse. Every review of all networks I see sprint always comes in last. This shows how little band 41 has been deployed if they are having such a hard time getting speeds over 10mbps on every review site. They don't know how to see what band they are on they just follow sprints coverage maps which we know are beyond generous. Son knows what time it is now that the T-Mobile distraction is over its time to take the gloves off and put up or shut up. They have to stop talking about the network of the future and start making the network for now. It is called the NOW network after all. Band 26 is great and all but still too limited on capacity. Band 41 is there the only hope for a comback but it needs to be at least 1/3 complete by the end of this year.

I can't fault the author - it's not like VZW said "Test it in an XLTE market!" or T-Mobile said "Make sure you test in an urban core!" - the results are likely what people are experiencing in markets that haven't been fully upgraded or only have band 25.

Come back to this in a year from now when Sprint's network is tuned and optimized and you'll see a different story.

There are plenty of companies out there that could have provided backhaul more timely than the people Sprint chose.

This is very true.  Sprint picked poor performing companies in many instances.  They also waited late to execute many critical backhaul agreements.  And they also allowed too many poor performing companies to exceed the contract schedules without penalty or cancellation.  The backhaul deployment scheme could have been handled way better.

And Sprint is doing much better managing their backhaul deployment in 2014.  But it was a long and painful process to get here.  And they ain't outta the woods yet.

Robert

• Like 7

That's the thing this party needs to happen now not in a year by then Sprints image would be even worse. Every review of all networks I see sprint always comes in last. This shows how little band 41 has been deployed if they are having such a hard time getting speeds over 10mbps on every review site. They don't know how to see what band they are on they just follow sprints coverage maps which we know are beyond generous. Son knows what time it is now that the T-Mobile distraction is over its time to take the gloves off and put up or shut up. They have to stop talking about the network of the future and start making the network for now. It is called the NOW network after all. Band 26 is great and all but still too limited on capacity. Band 41 is there the only hope for a comback but it needs to be at least 1/3 complete by the end of this year.

I don't want to make excuses for Sprint, but honestly, in a year from now, things will be dramatically better, to the point where Sprint can compete on price, coverage, and speed. Right now, they can only really compete on one of those things, and they're playing against a nihilist in Legere/TMO who can take the lumps to get subscribers.

I want the new leadership to jam their foot to the floor and crank out the next generation of NV... Perception will change, but not overnight.

• Like 1

They truly have an uphill battle when an article pops up like this:

http://www.cnet.com/news/4g-lte-showdown-how-fast-is-your-carrier/

They tested in ONE LOCATION (and likely not on Spark B41 either)

And the speed of downloading websites isn't that different.

One thing that was interesting in that article is it shows that most customers wouldn't notice the difference.  The Sprint LG G3 took 1 or 2 seconds longer at tasks.  It goes to show you that "Ludicrous Speed" is not necessary on a smartphone.  And only the e-penis people who keep doing speedtests are really going to notice the difference between 3Mbps with <100ms ping and 30Mbps.

Robert

• Like 7

I don't want to make excuses for Sprint, but honestly, in a year from now, things will be dramatically better, to the point where Sprint can compete on price, coverage, and speed. Right now, they can only really compete on one of those things, and they're playing against a nihilist in Legere/TMO who can take the lumps to get subscribers.

I want the new leadership to jam their foot to the floor and crank out the next generation of NV... Perception will change, but not overnight.

I'm just sad to see them about to lose there #3 spot. By next year they will be #4 unless they act fast.

I'm just sad to see them about to lose there #3 spot. By next year they will be #4 unless they act fast.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

One thing that was interesting in that article is it shows that most customers wouldn't notice the difference.  The Sprint LG G3 took 1 or 2 seconds longer at tasks.  It goes to show you that "Ludicrous Speed" is not necessary on a smartphone.  And only the e-penis people who keep doing speedtests are really going to notice the difference between 3Mbps with <100ms ping and 30Mbps.

Robert

agreed 1000% if it streams music with no issues and can watch a youtube clip I’m in!  (rather back lol) 

If they lose their spot that will motivate them even more. They won't be far from Tmobile so they can easily take catch up and take the lead. I just hope we're all not having the conversation now in 6 months to 1 year.

• Like 2

Hope not either.

If they lose their spot that will motivate them even more. They won't be far from Tmobile so they can easily take catch up and take the lead. I just hope we're all not having the conversation now in 6 months to 1 year.

OK as  further stating I have a cable connection with 10-30ms/12mbpaping. I also am testing how it compares to a fringe band 26  connection with pings 60-80ms and 2-4mbps. Youtube videos load fine, webpages load fine, videos on other sites are fine. So How can this(band 26 connection) be fine for multiple devices running, yet when people go to their phones anything short of 30mbps is "insufficient" ? Bottom line comes down to people are just trying to make themselves feel better through a speed test "contest" that ensued with the 4g rollout of all carriers. or People are abusing the internet with massive torrents for their home use. And yet again constantly mashing speed test can and have killed wireless networks in some areas

Edit: As a side note I was even able to play Elder scrolls online with this same connection as a small test. very little difference from my cable connection.

• Like 1

In regards to wireless carriers rankings that's about to change. If reports are leaning towards Sprint no longer holding the #3 spot that won't be a long term placement. Sprint has everything in needs to be successful (Resources) and extend the gap between tmobile but what was sorely missing is it's LEADERSHIP to take them there. Softbank Masayoshi son was the first and crucial step in that direction. Now with Mr. Hesse leaving Mr Son has chosen his successor and that's the 2nd most crucial step in Sprint's company to propel them back on course. Now what's next is staff management in key position which has already in the works and it's on. Both Mr. Son and Mr. Claure having a proven successful business track record and leadership to get this accomplish. Now with the circus show out of the way (tmobile) it can dedicate it's plan of action 100% to that.

The next phase is seeing what plans Sprint has in store and initiate it. I'm looking at both short term now, within a year, and long term, 3-5 years. Starting with the year plan to make a difference now rather than later.

Ergen had some very nice words about Dan Hesse on that call. What is the outgoing Sprint CEO's future plans?

Good, I think Sprint needs to get in bed with Charlie. Marcelo needs to take one for the team ;). We need to keep Dish's spectrum out of T-Mobile's hands. Dish needs EBS spectrum for their plans. Sprint needs some more midband spectrum. I see common interests there.

Story about Claure and Son meeting 2 years ago and falling in love:  http://online.wsj.com/articles/sprints-new-boss-will-stand-out-1407368271

P1-BQ945_MARCEL_DV_20140806175859.jpg      P1-BQ944_MARCEL_D_20140806181517.jpg

I don't see the article just an ad to subscribe to. Is there somewhere else I can view the story without subscribing to anything.

I don't see the article just an ad to subscribe to. Is there somewhere else I can view the story without subscribing to anything.

Do a Google search for this and select the article - you can read the full article.

Sprint Goes Off Beaten Track for New CEO Marcelo Claure

• Like 1

Do a Google search for this and select the article - you can read the full article.

Sprint Goes Off Beaten Track for New CEO Marcelo Claure

Great thanks that worked.

• Like 1

Crazy Johnny's be a giant tool on Twitter customer acquisition strategy is in full effect right now.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article1160967.html

I have a feeling:

- Son has given Marcelo a very very long proverbial leash.

- Marcelo can take care of himself ;-)

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/dishs-ergen-collapse-sprintt-mobile-talks-increases-our-wireless-options/2014-08-06#comment-1531054172

Ah, death threats. Funny I didn't realize that the person here had already got banned and came back under a different ID. Otherwise I would have never replied.

I have notified Phil and I have screen shots to boot. I'm not scared.

• Like 3

Crazy Johnny's be a giant tool on Twitter customer acquisition strategy is in full effect right now.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article1160967.html

HE'S A FOUL MOUTH JERK!!!!

That didn't take long but hardly unexpected. Amongst other issues the boy has he's really upset he didn't get the job.

* Very immature. A man playing boys games.

I have no opinions on Hesse but Im very glad this merger is over.

Honestly, I dont know how they thought they could get past the feds.

Its obvious to everyone that the tmobile gimmicks have done more to improve the wireless industry than anything else in the past 5 years. I dont care if you think its an unsustainable business practice, you hate their CEO, or you dislike the color; for the consumer, it's been golden. Lower prices, new options and (gasp) competition rather than collusion.

A merger would have killed that.

• Like 5