Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I'm curious your profile says you are here for trolling? Are you trying to contribute or troll?

But the nexus should be made so that it does not degrade the performance of any user regardless of band, or carrier.

I am contributing, not trolling. I put that in my profile for humor, satire, etc. I was explaining why there could be update delays because of carriers.

The Nexus program is supposed to be free carrier influence, but that's not always the case, ie Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by MkVsTheWorld

I am contributing, not trolling. I put that in my profile for humor, satire, etc. I was explaining why there could be update delays because of carriers.

The Nexus program is supposed to be free carrier influence, but that's not always the case, ie Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Well As long as a carrier sells a phone , then the carrier will have a say in a phone. The nexus should only be sold through Google to keep it truly carrier influence free.

Iptimes is a click bait site so do not post it. We know it's coming out early June. End of story.

Sent from my Nexus 5

We know for sure this now? Was there a credible leak or official post?

• Like 1

You know what AT&T tells me when I report poor LTE coverage at work? "Sorry, we cannot diagnose network problems on non-AT&T phones. "

That's the answer I get every time I call AT&T to report anything on the network. "Oh, I see the problem. You're using a non supported device. That's the problem." I get near irate when they say that.

I explain the issue is not the Nexus 5, and the problem is isolated to one sector on a specific tower. I can even give them the ATT Site ID # and the sector direction. But they refuse to open a ticket because they are certain it is the non supported device. I had one tell me if I was willing to upgrade to an AT&T supported device that they could help me. Even offered to ship me a subsidized device right there on the spot. No way I'm getting into another contract with anyone.

I have an official HTC 8X at home. So now I just slap my SIM card in it and call to report network issues. Still a pain in the ass though.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I have a question for those of you using an att sim in your n5. Is it a nano sim, and if so how exactly do you go about putting it in? My sim card tray lacks the ability to hold a nano sim from what I can tell. I'm asking because I'm taking a trip to the middle of no where and I wanted to put my girlfriends att sim from her iPhone 5s into my n5(better reception and then I wont have to use an iPhone:P).

I have a question for those of you using an att sim in your n5. Is it a nano sim, and if so how exactly do you go about putting it in? My sim card tray lacks the ability to hold a nano sim from what I can tell. I'm asking because I'm taking a trip to the middle of no where and I wanted to put my girlfriends att sim from her iPhone 5s into my n5(better reception and then I wont have to use an iPhone:P).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatak

The nexus uses the micro sim if I remember correctly.

Yeah the nexus 5 uses micro Sim cards. You would need an adapter to turn it into a micro. Not sure how well they work. Prolly just easier to buy a micro Sim card.

Yeah the nexus 5 uses micro Sim cards. You would need an adapter to turn it into a micro. Not sure how well they work. Prolly just easier to buy a micro Sim card.

I feel like itd be a bigger pain to swap her number to a micro sim and then back to her nano sim. Plus I really don't want to open up a line with them or one of their prepaid carriers. She's on a 40gb a month family plan so we'd like to just take advantage of that lol. Onwards on my search for an adapter then. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I figured someone would know xD.

For the next iPhone, Apple will use the grain of sand SIM.

AJ

• Like 3

That's the answer I get every time I call AT&T to report anything on the network.

Talking to an uneducated worker entrusted to do tech support is like talking to a dog -- it just looks at you with big eyes and nods.

AJ

• Like 7

Is there a easier way to write a prl to the Nexus 5? I thought having a Nexus was suppose to make things like this easier. I can write a prl to the G2 in 5 mins and the Nexus it just does not work. Can someone make a youtube video on this?

Is there a easier way to write a prl to the Nexus 5? I thought having a Nexus was suppose to make things like this easier. I can write a prl to the G2 in 5 mins and the Nexus it just does not work. Can someone make a youtube video on this?

I'm away from my computer right now but later I can write a decent guide and give you everything you need.

• Like 1

Thank you Spence just message me

I'm away from my computer right now but later I can write a decent guide and give you everything you need.

Yeah just post it

Okay so I have posted the instructions below.  It looks much more daunting than it really is; the process is quite easy.  You should be able to download the supporting boot.img and QPST from the links provided.  If you guys want I can post my git repository link that has the boot.img I used, but it should be the same.  I tested this on my devices just now before sending it and have done this same method about five times- never had any problems.  Regardless, read my brief disclaimer before trying lol.  Good luck!

Any step with "Type: " refers to a command we are entering into the command prompt followed by enter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow this guide to the letter.  I do not assume any responsibility or liability for what may happen to your device by attempting to modify your PRL, nor do I provide PRL's.  As the user you assume all responsibility and risks associated with this.  I also assume no risks for the 3rd party software used during this procedure.  Note this is the PRL flash procedure just for the Nexus 5 device.

Preparation Steps:
1. Download/install the Android SDK and have your six digit MSL number handy.

2. Find the Platform-Tools folder located in the SDK Directory.
ex: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-studio\sdk\platform-tools

3. Be sure to have the Nexus 5 drivers installed and USB Debugging mode enabled. 

Unzip the image and place it INSIDE the platform-tools folder.

5. Download and install QPST 2.7 build 402.  DO NOT install build 422!  It is a fake that comes with a nasty accessory (trojan worm).  You should be able to find it on XDA- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2263391

6. DO NOT close the command prompt until we are entirely finished with the flash.

Lets get started:
1. In the platform-tools folder, hold shift and right click, then select "Open Command Window Here".
Note: The newly opened command prompt windows should reflect that we are in the platform-tools directory.

2. Type in the command prompt: adb devices
Note: You should now see a serial number appear.  This indicates that your devices drivers are installed and it is in USB debugging mode.  If you don't see your device's serial number, try reconnecting the device, using another USB cord, restarting the computer, reinstalling the drivers, checking to be sure USB Debugging is installed, etc.

3.  Type: adb reboot bootloader
Note: This will reboot your devices into Fastboot mode

4.  Type: fastboot boot boot.img
Note: You should see on the cmd line that this is downloading the boot.img.  Afterwards your phone will reboot normally.

5.  Type: adb devices
Note: We are verifying that our phone is still communicating with adb.  See the trouble steps in step 2 if you have any issues.

6. Type: adb shell

7.  Type: su
Note: You will have to allow superuser permissions on your phone at this point.

8.  Type: setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
Note: You will not see any activity on the command prompt or phone after this step, but you should hear a should from your computer, if your volume is on, to signify that your computer is installing the diag drivers.

9. Open QPST Configuration

10. You should see that there are a couple active ports in QPST.  Highlight the one that has some number under the phone tab and has USB for the link.

11. In the menu bar: Start Client > Service Programming

12. Select your phone with your phone number and hit okay.

13. Go to the Roam tab and select "Read from phone".  You will then have to enter your MSL number.

14. In the Roam tab, look in the Preferred Roaming section and browse for your .prl file.  Select it and then click "Write to Phone"

15. Don't freak out... You should have gotten an error stating that your phone returned a permanent error and you will now notice that your phone does not have a signal.  Close out of QPST- don't save any changes. 

16. Type: adb reboot

17.  When your phone reboots check in the Settings>About>Status page to be sure that your PRL took.  Enjoy!
  • Like 6

10. You should see that there are a couple active ports in QPST.  Highlight the one that has some number under the phone tab and has USB for the link.

I will say, that at first, QPST did not list any ports let alone the port my Nexus was connected on.  If that is the case, dont worry.  Simply click Add port to add it manually and then once you do that it will show up and you can continue on with the steps just the same.

• Like 1