Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. Whenever I try to change my band settings to anything other than b41-1, b25-2, and b26-3. Only thing I get is 0,1,3. Regardless of the settings that what I get. If I use the 0,1,3 setting will it still scan the bands properly? I'm on .15 modem firmware. I want to change it to b26-1, b41-2, and b25-3. Is there a problem with my device or is it the modem that I'm using causing this?

Try this one more time:

B25- 0

B26- 1

B41- 1

That gives me the result you are looking for. If it doesn't work for you I'd flash another baseband. I can PM you a link to the one I use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Try this one more time:

B25- 0

B26- 1

B41- 1

That gives me the result you are looking for. If it doesn't work for you I'd flash another baseband. I can PM you a link to the one I use.

I think I'm going to try another baseband .17 I could never connect to b41 and .23 killed my LTE reception. So I don't know what to do.

Edit- I flashed. 17 and. 23 and with both of those I could change the setting however I want to but with .15 I can't. Does anyone know why?

A few months to go before the Nexus 5 approaches the Photon 4g category of phone abandonment.  Even then they would have more work to do to turn it from a prince into a frog.

Think positive.  They could be addressing issues with Sprint 8t8r band 41, thus the Nexus 5 could be the first phone that fully works with it.

Think positive.  They could be addressing issues with Sprint 8t8r band 41, thus the Nexus 5 could be the first phone that fully works with it.

What do you mean by this? 8T8R is just the type of antenna. It's still Band 41, no different than the Band 41 already deployed in many cities.

• Like 2

What do you mean by this? 8T8R is just the type of antenna. It's still Band 41, no different than the Band 41 already deployed in many cities.

Could it be that these are integrated with current towers and aren't just repurposed clear towers?

I think I'm going to try another baseband .17 I could never connect to b41 and .23 killed my LTE reception. So I don't know what to do.

Edit- I flashed. 17 and. 23 and with both of those I could change the setting however I want to but with .15 I can't. Does anyone know why?

Well... The .15 radio was never released in an official OTA due to its bugginess with eCSFB, and who knows what else. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue you're seeing was one of the bugs that Google/LG knew to be squished between .15 and .17.

• Like 1

Could it be that these are integrated with current towers and aren't just repurposed clear towers?

Right now band 41 is primarily being deployed on the old clear towers. Some sprint towers are being upgraded for the second time with the new 8T8R antennas for band 41, but this is still in early stages. Regardless, the current state of the network upgrades have no effect on the software update.

In theory, you are correct. Depends on the implementation details if there are any issues in terms of possibly more multiple channels to pick from or slight negative consequences of getting ready for carrier aggregation. We will just have to wait and see. Google/Sprint are likely aware of details beyond what we know, and hopefully implemented into this release if possible. Think positive on the reasons for the extra time needed for this nexus update.

sent by tapatalk from my LS-980 (G2)

It definitely goes both ways.  You don't even need to activate - just enter the MEID into the device code box and see if you get the error when you click "check code".

Correct.  Now that we have even more evidence that this is the case, they'll hopefully be able to correct it.  I called google and let them know, so hopefully they are fixing it.

The error also keeps happening even if you switch between Nexus 5's that have been previously activated in your account. In my case, switching from an HTC One M8 back to a Nexus 5. 

nTelos (Sprint's affiliate in SWVa and WV) has announced a long-awaited network agreement extension including deploying B25/26/41 LTE on Sprint's spectrum, part of the CCA initiative.

For a look at what they've deployed on to date (which to date is unavailable to Sprint subs) their Galaxy S5 variant supports LTE1700/2100 (B4), LTE1900 (B2), LTE700 (B12). Our Nexus 5's support several of these bands at least at the hardware level. However, given the Spark update I suspect a separate update would be needed to enable these bands -- OR perhaps this is part of the reason for the delay, and talk of late-radio revisions in 4.4.3. If so, this would be awesome, and at least for folks in the nTelos footprint who have a Nexus 5 -- would be a concession prize for the Spark update coming rather late.

One can dream right?

• Like 2

nTelos (Sprint's affiliate in SWVa and WV) has announced a long-awaited network agreement extension including deploying B25/26/41 LTE on Sprint's spectrum, part of the CCA initiative.

For a look at what they've deployed on to date (which to date is unavailable to Sprint subs) their Galaxy S5 variant supports LTE1700/2100 (B4), LTE1900 (B2), LTE700 (B12). Our Nexus 5's support several of these bands at least at the hardware level. However, given the Spark update I suspect a separate update would be needed to enable these bands -- OR perhaps this is part of the reason for the delay, and talk of late-radio revisions in 4.4.3. If so, this would be awesome, and at least for folks in the nTelos footprint who have a Nexus 5 -- would be a concession prize for the Spark update coming rather late.

One can dream right?

That's a lot of bands.... One can dream.

I wonder of pain getting the 5 acceptable to all the carriers is part of the reason they are rumored to be dropping the Nexus line for Silver models that I think are carrier specific.

Sent from Nexus 5

I wonder of pain gettiing the 5 acceptable to all the carriers is part of the reason they are rumored to be dropping the Nexus line for Silver models that I think are carrier specific.

Sent from Nexus 5

If they are making it acceptable to At&t and T-Mobile, that is Google's own decision. Sprint would be the only carrier Google would have to please, as At&t and T-Mobile won't do much about an unlocked device.

• Like 1

As-is the Nexus 5 seems to scan bands 4 and 17 when you put it in LTE only mode, even with a Sprint SIM installed. It wouldn't register on the network but it did find CSpire's LTE network near Fulton MS. I'll have to dig out the screenshot I took.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If they are making it acceptable to At&t and T-Mobile, that is Google's own decision. Sprint would be the only carrier Google would have to please, as At&t and T-Mobile won't do much about an unlocked device.

T-Mobile sells (or at least sold) the North American model of the Nexus 5, as do several Canadian carriers. So Sprint isn't the only carrier Google/LG needs to make happy.

• Like 2

T-Mobile sells (or at least sold) the North American model of the Nexus 5, as do several Canadian carriers. So Sprint isn't the only carrier Google/LG needs to make happy.

But Google doesn't need T-Mobile nor the Canadian carriers to sell it. They can all just buy it from the play store.

But Google doesn't need T-Mobile nor the Canadian carriers to sell it. They can all just buy it from the play store.

As can Sprint customers. I'm not seeing any distinction here.

• Like 1

As can Sprint customers. I'm not seeing any distinction here.

Because Sprint doesn't allow phones on its network unless they have been white listed, they are the only carrier that Google would ever have to "make happy"

Because Sprint doesn't allow phones on its network unless they have been white listed, they are the only carrier that Google would ever have to "make happy"

Didn't I read somewhere about some change in rules that was passed or at least agreed to that carriers would have to accept hardware compatible phones on their network?

Sent from Nexus 5

Didn't I read somewhere about some change in rules that was passed or at least agreed to that carriers would have to accept hardware compatible phones on their network?

Sent from Nexus 5

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. Since T-Mobile is GSM-based, in theory Google "shouldn't" need them to approve updates. This would be entirely true if T-Mobile didn't also sell the LG Nexus 5. Since T-Mobile does sell it, it does get a say in updates because T-Mobile has an obligation to ensure the phones it sells continue to work on its network and adheres to its own policies. Take for example AT&T, it never sold the LG Nexus 5, therefore it has no say in its updates. Just because a phone is GSM-based, it doesn't mean no carrier can interfere with updates. AT&T and T-Mobile often put their own bloatware on phones and require testing, quality assurance, etc. In essence, the exact same hogwash CDMA carriers do to stall updates.

"International" variations of phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9500, which don't have any carrier branding, get updated quickly because no carrier has a say on them.

On the flip-side, you have a leg to stand on when you have network performance (or phone) issues and you're using a carrier branded phone.

You know what AT&T tells me when I report poor LTE coverage at work? "Sorry, we cannot diagnose network problems on non-AT&T phones. "

Edited by MkVsTheWorld
  • Like 3

I get what you're saying. Since T-Mobile is GSM-based, in theory Google "shouldn't" need them to approve updates. This would be entirely true if T-Mobile didn't also sell the LG Nexus 5. Since T-Mobile does sell it, it does get a say in updates because T-Mobile has an obligation to ensure the phones it sells continue to work on its network and adheres to its own policies. Take for example AT&T, it never sold the LG Nexus 5, therefore it has no say in its updates. Just because a phone is GSM-based, it doesn't mean no carrier can interfere with updates. AT&T and T-Mobile often put their own bloatware on phones and require testing, quality assurance, etc. In essence, the exact same hogwash CDMA carriers do to stall updates.

"International" variations of phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9500, which don't have any carrier branding, get updated quickly because no carrier has a say on them.

On the flip-side, you have a leg to stand on when you have network performance (or phone) issues and you're using a carrier branded phone.

You know what AT&T tells me when I report poor LTE coverage at work? "Sorry, we cannot diagnose network problems on non-AT&T phones. "

I'm curious your profile says you are here for trolling? Are you trying to contribute or troll?

But the nexus should be made so that it does not degrade the performance of any user regardless of band, or carrier.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. Since T-Mobile is GSM-based, in theory Google "shouldn't" need them to approve updates. This would be entirely true if T-Mobile didn't also sell the LG Nexus 5. Since T-Mobile does sell it, it does get a say in updates because T-Mobile has an obligation to ensure the phones it sells continue to work on its network and adheres to its own policies. Take for example AT&T, it never sold the LG Nexus 5, therefore it has no say in its updates. Just because a phone is GSM-based, it doesn't mean no carrier can interfere with updates.

My original point was if the carriers are giving Google problems, that is not a reason to end the nexus program. They could go back to play store only.