Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I flashed 5.1 yesterday along with the new radio. It looks to me like the signal indicators got tweaked and show a higher bar count for the same dBm. I'm not seeing anything appreciable different but my bars are mostly showing an extra step up than usual.

I expected there would be some signal representation change. During my work on merging 5.1 into the PA codebase I spotted some new settings keys related to signal bars.

From the looks of the source code for change 52400, here is what is different:

Before 5.1, the RSRP thresholds were fixed:

-44, -85, -95, -105, -115, -140

In 5.1, the OS can be configured to choose a "strict" or "lenient" thresholds:

Strict: -44, -85, -95, -105, -115, -140 (same as before)

Lenient: -44, -98, -108, -118, -128, -140

Verizon and Vodafone NL appear to require the "strict" settings, as those PLMNs will default to that. As far as I can tell, devices on other networks will default to the "lenient" settings.

-Mike

• Like 5

another thing this new update does: it actually checks whether a new PRL is available instead of simply applying the same one regardless.  if no new update, it tells you.  this sort of sucks as, even with this update, if i go to roaming back to sprint back to roaming and to sprint, etc the phone will not connect to eHRPD, just EVDO.  A PRL or profile update was the only way to get back to eHRPD.

another thing this new update does: it actually checks whether a new PRL is available instead of simply applying the same one regardless.  if no new update, it tells you.  this sort of sucks as, even with this update, if i go to roaming back to sprint back to roaming and to sprint, etc the phone will not connect to eHRPD, just EVDO.  A PRL or profile update was the only way to get back to eHRPD.

I can still update the PRL/Profile as many times as I want back to back. It still applies the same PRL if there isn't a new one. I will also go from roaming 1x and reconnect to Sprint eHRPD without any input on my part, you may have something wrong with your phone.

I can still update the PRL/Profile as many times as I want back to back. It still applies the same PRL if there isn't a new one. I will also go from roaming 1x and reconnect to Sprint eHRPD without any input on my part, you may have something wrong with your phone.

today i am able to update prl continually instead of getting a message saying there is no new PRL available.  strange.

going from 1x to eHRPD just once is usually fine.  i see the behavior when i go from roaming to sprint several times on a drive, in a short period of time.  maybe it has to do with the roaming partner that it is coming off of.  I am primarily US Cellular.

today i am able to update prl continually instead of getting a message saying there is no new PRL available. strange.

going from 1x to eHRPD just once is usually fine. i see the behavior when i go from roaming to sprint several times on a drive, in a short period of time. maybe it has to do with the roaming partner that it is coming off of. I am primarily US Cellular.

That could be it. I go in and out of roaming coverage a fair amount (usually Verizon) each week for work and never experienced anything like that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Does anyone else experience huge battery drain from Google Play Music? It almost seems as if it drains more now than it has in the past.

A new Google Play Services update has been rolling out over the past couple of weeks, perhaps its related to that..

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2015/03/google-play-services-70-places-everyone.html

-Mike

IDK which update this happened in but I just upgraded to 5.1 and noticed that the 1X icon is gone and it's now showing 3G while on 1X... Grrrr.

1x is a 3G technology.  Why wouldnt it show that?

IDK which update this happened in but I just upgraded to 5.1 and noticed that the 1X icon is gone and it's now showing 3G while on 1X... Grrrr.

I love not seeing the 1x symbol at the top of my Nexus 6. Even though I didn't see it that often anyway. [emoji1]

I love not seeing the 1x symbol at the top of my Nexus 6. Even though I didn't see it that often anyway. [emoji1]

Did this change occur upon the release of 5.1? I just want my phone to be honest about what network it's actually on from a glance without having to go into the menus to check. Although this isn't really a big deal anymore like it was 3 years ago since I'm on LTE all the time anyway. 

Did this change occur upon the release of 5.1? I just want my phone to be honest about what network it's actually on from a glance without having to go into the menus to check. Although this isn't really a big deal anymore like it was 3 years ago since I'm on LTE all the time anyway.

Yes. I always use signal check to see my real network connectivity and signal strength.

Anyone having issues with the camera app force closing? Like 50 pct of the time, when I go to open it, it crashes. I've tried force stop, uninstalling updates and reinstalling, and the only thing that gets it working again is restarting the phone.

Seems like the system is at odds with itself. Trying to connect to the gym network (which is a crapshoot) hasn't improved, but occasionally when I check, the icon tray says LTE but the wifi settings says connected. Signal check pro says connected but mobile data connection active. Anyone else notice this?

Seems like the system is at odds with itself. Trying to connect to the gym network (which is a crapshoot) hasn't improved, but occasionally when I check, the icon tray says LTE but the wifi settings says connected. Signal check pro says connected but mobile data connection active. Anyone else notice this?

Yep that's a new feature of lollipop. If the device can't contact Google's servers over a WiFi connection, it will fall back to mobile data and indicate that in the status bar.
  • Like 1

My Wi-Fi is basically useless now with 5.1, can't ever really connect to it. Is their anyway around this stupid flaw?

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-03-25-09-48-49.png

Sent from my Nexus 5

Have you tried removing that profile and adding it back again? My WiFi still works after the update but I did see an instance where it didn't want to connect to my home network.

Have you tried removing that profile and adding it back again? My WiFi still works after the update but I did see an instance where it didn't want to connect to my home network.

Several times unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Not sure what else you could do then. Doing a factory reset seems really unnecessary. Did you go to saved networks to see if your network still appears there and if so removing it? The only odd things I've seen with 5.1 is my phone will get stick in landscape mode or play music simply just won't work.