Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

My N5 has been my daily driver since shortly after release, and I've never experienced GPS problems. Perhaps there is something related to the hardware design that causes certain cases to negatively impact GPS performance? I have the smaller Seidio hard case with the kickstand.

-Mike

My N5 has been my daily driver since shortly after release, and I've never experienced GPS problems. Perhaps there is something related to the hardware design that causes certain cases to negatively impact GPS performance? I have the smaller Seidio hard case with the kickstand.

-Mike

Don't use a case, never have.

No GPS issues here as well. Preorder N5 from Nov 2013. On 2nd battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GPS is beyond broken on most nexus 5's.

I must have been lucky with mine. It has always worked correctly.

It is my backup phone so I keep it up to date and charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My nexus 5 doesn't seem to switch to LTE from 3g when coming into service. Does anyone know why the phone would do this? Most times I have to reboot it or switch airplane mode on and off to get it to connect.

My nexus 5 doesn't seem to switch to LTE from 3g when coming into service. Does anyone know why the phone would do this? Most times I have to reboot it or switch airplane mode on and off to get it to connect.

A couple things... One is LTE scan times. Your phone only scans periodically for LTE. Unfortunately your phone scans less the longer it is on 3g from what I understand. Secondly, it would scan for LTE if there is data use during when the scan would occur. So, if you are streaming or whatnot or have apps that are using data, then your phone will stay on 3g until you airplane reset.

The LTE scan timer is pretty long on the phone, so it can take some time to jump to LTE when coming from 3G connection. The phone will also stay on 3G if there is an active data session, such as streaming music, to avoid interrupting data flow.

I just replaced the battery on my N5 with an OEM battery.  While it's definitely an improvement, it's not as marked as others are stating on this thread.  It still doesn't last the whole day, but then again, it rarely did when it was new.  It was definitely worth the $15.

My GPS is somewhat flaky as well.  Sometimes it just stops working and I have to power cycle the handset.  Sometimes, it stops working for a few seconds.

While I love the N5, I'm ready to ditch it as soon as Bullhead is available this fall.  I'd love a better battery, GPS, and camera.

I've seen some nice gains with marshmallow - are you running the latest (last) Android M Preview?

I've never had an issue using GPS on my Nexus 5, maybe I was lucky though. I have been thinking of replacing the battery, where have all of you been buying oem batteries from?

That's the million dollar question.  There are so many counterfeits out there, it's really hard to find a legit source.  I got mine off eBay from a reputable US seller and he included a tool kit, which was nice.  No idea if it is authentic or not but it seems to work well... so that's good.

• 1 month later...

and...first boot is just as bad as Lollipop

Downside of art is longer boot time while it compiles apps. Much better performance once this is done though. Longer first boot times are gonna be the norm
  • Like 3

Tried it briefly on my Nexus 5 and it seems like what lollipop should have been. I wasn't very excited about the announced features in Marshmallow so hopefully under the hood is much better.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

The same thing I warned Google about during the preview program and they didn't listen (sorry to quote tmonews btw):

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/10/some-nexus-5-owners-report-reception-issues-after-installing-android-6-0/

My complaining about sprint may be due to android 6. I also have super crappy wifi signal and drops to no signal on Android 6.

The same thing I warned Google about during the preview program and they didn't listen (sorry to quote tmonews btw):

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/10/some-nexus-5-owners-report-reception-issues-after-installing-android-6-0/

My complaining about sprint may be due to android 6. I also have super crappy wifi signal and drops to no signal on Android 6.

There's just no way a .01 increase in modem version made significant enough changes to have a large effect on signal. The 800 platform is EOL and Qualcomm isn't making any more major changes, hence the .01 increase in the modem version.

So far seems fine, haven't had any issues.

Getting abnormal battery life after installing 6.0. Was fine on BETA 3.

2lm1iy9.png

n6xn3t.png

I think the Facebook app is the issue, that seems awfully weird and unusual. Thoughts? Edit - Well uninstalling the app literally crashes my phone, something aint right with it. Seems to have the mobile radio bug that was supposed to be fixed in the final release, wtf why is every release a freaking issue...