Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Did this fix the memory leaks as well?

It was mentioned that this was the update where they were to be implementing the fixes for memory and WiFi/Bluetooth dropping out, as well as a number of other things they left out in the initial release of 5.0

• Like 1

I flashed the image and so far it seems a little smoother visually, but not sure how much is placebo. Radio seems the same for me in my location, will see how it goes over time.

baseband m8974a-2.0.50.2.25 for those who are curious

kernel 3.4.0-g8a80a0e built 2/5/2015

Since 5.0, I haven't been able to use the flash-all batch for flashing the factory images. I get an error every time, using the newest SDK platform-tools (now rev22) in android studio. Any idea why its causing this? I don't mind manually flashing, but it's a little annoying.

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1046070000 bytes
error: update package missing system.img
Press any key to exit..

Since 5.0, I haven't been able to use the flash-all batch for flashing the factory images. I get an error every time, using the newest SDK platform-tools (now rev22) in android studio. Any idea why its causing this? I don't mind manually flashing, but it's a little annoying.

Press any key to exit..

Worked for me last night, full version and the stripped one. Give the stripped version on XDA a try. Its quite a bit smaller so it wouldn't take much to give it a shot.

Worked for me last night, full version and the stripped one. Give the stripped version on XDA a try. Its quite a bit smaller so it wouldn't take much to give it a shot.

I tried that one from XDA on 5.0.1 and it gave me the same result. I may give it a try a little later but after finishing setting everything back up on 5.1 I would be a little disappointed if it did happen to work and wiped everything again.

I tried that one from XDA on 5.0.1 and it gave me the same result. I may give it a try a little later but after finishing setting everything back up on 5.1 I would be a little disappointed if it did happen to work and wiped everything again.

Are you trying to flash from inside the adb folder? Or just a command prompt opened from the adb folder. Just a command prompt from the folder stopped working for me, but once I started dragging and dropping it in (and removing once I was done) it worked again.

Are you trying to flash from inside the adb folder? Or just a command prompt opened from the adb folder. Just a command prompt from the folder stopped working for me, but once I started dragging and dropping it in (and removing once I was done) it worked again.

Yeah, I've always unpacked the image to that folder. Just to be clear, you're referring to the platform tools folder right? The cut down version on XDA was labeled adb, but installation from android studio puts it in an obscure location.

The only thing I've found searching the issue on my own is several people using an older outdated version of platform tools.

Press any key to exit..

That looks to me like either a hardware flash error, or some type of partitioning error (the system partition too small to hold the uploaded image).

Yeah, I've always unpacked the image to that folder. Just to be clear, you're referring to the platform tools folder right? The cut down version on XDA was labeled adb, but installation from android studio puts it in an obscure location.

The only thing I've found searching the issue on my own is several people using an older outdated version of platform tools.

That's correct, I relabeled and changed my path names to make it less confusing awhile back lol.

That looks to me like either a hardware flash error, or some type of partitioning error (the system partition too small to hold the uploaded image).

Its an error but nothing that can't be fixed. You just need to flash manually it was a pain for me. I'll look for the instructions when I'm on a PC and post

Its an error but nothing that can't be fixed. You just need to flash manually it was a pain for me. I'll look for the instructions when I'm on a PC and post

I'm pretty much on a command line daily and the instructions are not too bad to me. What I typically do is flash manually since I'm just used to it. 

Basically:

Extract the .img files that start with or are named bootloader, radio, boot, and system to your adb/fastboot directory. If you want stock recovery, also extract the recovery.img to the adb/fastbook directory.

Then boot your Nexus into Fastboot mode by turning off the power first then power it on by holding the volume down and power buttons at the same time.

Then connect your phone to the PC, and then do in the command line:

fastboot devices

and make sure you see some device id. Otherwise you need to download drivers, which you'd have to google yourself :P.

After you see it, do this first: (for any of the <name> items below, use the actual name for your file and don't include the <>).

fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader-...>.img

Then

fastboot reboot-bootloader

when that's done.

Then the rest:

fastboot flash boot <boot>.img
fastboot flash radio <radio>.img
fastboot flash system <system>.img

If you want to flash recovery, then:

fastboot flash recovery <recovery>.img

After that, do another:

fastboot reboot-bootloader

and then use the Volume up/down keys to navigate to Recovery, and then press the power button to get into it (I usually have TWRP or CWM still).

Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache and then just do a normal reboot, and you should be updated, with all your data intact. That's pretty much what updating through OTA does, except this is all manual, and an OTA flashes the stock recovery all the time. If you want to do a full wipe, you can still do a factory reset in Recovery.

• Like 2

I can still flash it manually, that's how I got 5.0, 5.0.1, and now 5.1 on it. I was just wondering why I can't use the flash-all batch file since 5.0 was released.

I flashed 5.1 yesterday along with the new radio. It looks to me like the signal indicators got tweaked and show a higher bar count for the same dBm. I'm not seeing anything appreciable different but my bars are mostly showing an extra step up than usual.

Other than that things are about as expected. I'm eager to see if the memory leak got fixed or not.

• Like 3

I flashed 5.1 yesterday along with the new radio. It looks to me like the signal indicators got tweaked and show a higher bar count for the same dBm. I'm not seeing anything appreciable different but my bars are mostly showing an extra step up than usual.

Other than that things are about as expected. I'm eager to see if the memory leak got fixed or not.

Finally!!!

Finally!!!

I expected there would be some signal representation change. During my work on merging 5.1 into the PA codebase I spotted some new settings keys related to signal bars.

• Like 4

It's about time, tired of seeing basically no bars but the performance is fine. Really makes people think that Sprints service sucks.
  • Like 1

OTA is now available (see eg http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/11/flash-all-the-things-android-5-1-ota-roundup-for-nexus-devices/), and thus far it seems like the memory leak is fixed or at least radically improved - before, even after light usage, memory usage would record at least some period of "critical," but now it looks like it stays in the "normal" range.

In the last day or two, it definitely looks like the memory leak has been fixed. I also have to note that my WiFi has been performing much better as well, though I've seen on XDA that some people still have dropped WiFi. So far, I haven't had my problems on 5.0 and 5.0.1 where my WiFi just stops working for a more than a few seconds at a time. This is definitely looking good.

• Like 3