Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I wonder if any of you guys would have some ideas regarding problems that just started with my N5.  A couple of days ago, the phone was upgraded to LMY48I.  The problems began after that but that could have just been a coincidence.

Phone is rooted but stock otherwise.

Problems:

1)  Wireless charging no longer works.

2)  Cannot connect to a PC

3)  Standard wired charging does not work.  However, if I turn the phone off, plug it into the charger and leave the phone off for about 30 minutes, then turn the phone on and don't touch it, it will charge but . . .

4)  When charging as described above, there is no indicator that charging is happening.  The only way I know it's charging is that the battery indicator % climbs.

I have two wireless chargers including one Nexus charger and neither work with this phone but both work with my buddy's phone.

Although I cannot connect to a PC, the USB port is at least partially working because I can connect my external micro-SD card adapter to the port and it powers up and allows file transfers just fine.  I have 3 new cables, none of which made any difference.

When plugged in with the power off, the displays alternates back and forth between the battery symbol with the lightning bolt and the battery symbol that shows the current charge on the battery but there is no animation showing the battery is charging like there used to be.

I've taken the back off the phone and visually checked the battery to see if it was swollen (its not).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

DC

I wonder if any of you guys would have some ideas regarding problems that just started with my N5. A couple of days ago, the phone was upgraded to LMY48I. The problems began after that but that could have just been a coincidence.

Phone is rooted but stock otherwise.

Problems:

1) Wireless charging no longer works.

2) Cannot connect to a PC

3) Standard wired charging does not work. However, if I turn the phone off, plug it into the charger and leave the phone off for about 30 minutes, then turn the phone on and don't touch it, it will charge but . . .

4) When charging as described above, there is no indicator that charging is happening. The only way I know it's charging is that the battery indicator % climbs.

I have two wireless chargers including one Nexus charger and neither work with this phone but both work with my buddy's phone.

Although I cannot connect to a PC, the USB port is at least partially working because I can connect my external micro-SD card adapter to the port and it powers up and allows file transfers just fine. I have 3 new cables, none of which made any difference.

When plugged in with the power off, the displays alternates back and forth between the battery symbol with the lightning bolt and the battery symbol that shows the current charge on the battery but there is no animation showing the battery is charging like there used to be.

I've taken the back off the phone and visually checked the battery to see if it was swollen (its not).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

DC

Does the USB cable work in fastboot?

If it does try and reflash the factory image...

It could also be the charging port unfortunately.

Does the USB cable work in fastboot?

If it does try and reflash the factory image...

Hmmm, the USB cable does work in fastboot.  I'm totally unfamiliar with fastboot commands and flashing factory images.  I rooted the phone using Wug's excellent rootkit and never bothered to learn how to do things manually.  Is there a good online tutorial somewhere that could guide me in reflashing a factory image?

Thanks,

DC

Hmmm, the USB cable does work in fastboot. I'm totally unfamiliar with fastboot commands and flashing factory images. I rooted the phone using Wug's excellent rootkit and never bothered to learn how to do things manually. Is there a good online tutorial somewhere that could guide me in reflashing a factory image?

Thanks,

DC

If you download the Google factory images there is a flashall.bat file. run that and it will run the fastboot commands for you. Be aware though, it wipes your data unless you remove the -w from the last command.

If you download the Google factory images there is a flashall.bat file. run that and it will run the fastboot commands for you. Be aware though, it wipes your data unless you remove the -w from the last command.

Thanks, I'll do some more research on this later.  But for now, the crazy phone started working normally again without any effort on my part.  Must be a bad connection or something.   I'm about ready for a new phone but finding a decent phone about the size of the N5 with removeable battery and SD slot seems out of reach.

DC

Edited by DC3
  • Like 1

a lot of nexus 5 batteries are going bad, mine wasn't swollen

Getting my 2nd replacement battery installed today. Did the first one myself and have been getting all sorts of random craziness: random shut offs, wildly off temperature readings, app crashes, camera failing to load..

Taking it to a repair shop this time in case my install was the issue.

The final preview of Marshmallow is out, in the process of installing it now I have been having issues with it. User error though I guess or something with my previous install, I was rooted so something wasn't working right when I tried installing it a few minutes ago via adb. But now after a reboot of my pc and a botched install a few minutes ago everything is going as usual. :blink:

Please note that GPS doesn't work in the "near final" build. I guess Google doesn't know the concept of show stopping bugs or at least being up front with their users.

GPS never really worked to begin with. [emoji14] Mine seems to be working however. Also there is a new baseband .27 not quite sure if there are any differences yet.

47f6fa1e4385cdd4bea1ba1bcbb17bb0.jpg

Getting my 2nd replacement battery installed today. Did the first one myself and have been getting all sorts of random craziness: random shut offs, wildly off temperature readings, app crashes, camera failing to load..

Taking it to a repair shop this time in case my install was the issue.

Just as a follow-up, my 2nd battery and install have worked perfectly.  All the strange issues have been gone since the new one was installed, and the battery life is back to the 2+hrs SOT that I was used to seeing.  I don't think it was my install that was bad after talking with the tech, so I just had bad luck.  

So I put in a new battery and it made me fall in love with my nexus 5 all over again. Such a great phone!

Marshmallow is awesome and for the first time since buying this phone new, my GPS works... So that's a plus.

A few months ago, I put forth to S4GRU staff an article idea for The Wall -- the most notable handsets of the Sprint LTE era.  List the top five or so.  The article may never happen, but the Nexus 5 definitely would make the cut, arguably at the top of the list.

AJ

• Like 3

So I put in a new battery and it made me fall in love with my nexus 5 all over again. Such a great phone!

Marshmallow is awesome and for the first time since buying this phone new, my GPS works... So that's a plus.

Your GPS never worked before? That is strange.

Odd. Admittedly I haven't used my N5 in a while, but last time I did the GPS worked fine. That was on lollipop.

Sent from my LG G4

Mine keeps losing lock. Maps will stop moving for a while until lock is regained. Works for a bit and then the process starts over.

Your GPS never worked before? That is strange.

My compass is still broken but I think the GPS receiver antenna is now making proper contact.

A few months ago, I put forth to S4GRU staff an article idea for The Wall -- the most notable handsets of the Sprint LTE era.  List the top five or so.  The article may never happen, but the Nexus 5 definitely would make the cut, arguably at the top of the list.

AJ

Agreed - it's really a fantastic handset.  It's the right combination of many things; somehow holding and using the nexus 5 just feels better than most other flagships.  Honestly, my GS6 is just sitting on my desk idle since I replaced the battery in my Nexus 5.  With marshmallow, it feels faster, smoother, and the handset design is more refined.  Plus, the radios just work better on a Nexus 5 :)

I was very tempted to modify my Nexus 5 and install the larger 3,000 mah LG G2 battery instead of the standard 2,600 mah replacement... but with newer software that really improves battery life along with fresh cells, I easily go all day with the nexus now.

Agreed - it's really a fantastic handset.  It's the right combination of many things; somehow holding and using the nexus 5 just feels better than most other flagships.

I wanted to write an article about the most notable handsets of the Sprint LTE era for the three year anniversary of the first LTE launches.  But that time has passed earlier this summer.  And while I am no fan of poll threads, that may be the best to do in lieu of an actual article.  Let the membership voice which handsets it thinks are the most notable.

Another staff member and I will get to work on that thread.  Hopefully, it will be up within the next few days.

AJ

• Like 2

I just replaced the battery on my N5 with an OEM battery.  While it's definitely an improvement, it's not as marked as others are stating on this thread.  It still doesn't last the whole day, but then again, it rarely did when it was new.  It was definitely worth the $15.

My GPS is somewhat flaky as well.  Sometimes it just stops working and I have to power cycle the handset.  Sometimes, it stops working for a few seconds.

While I love the N5, I'm ready to ditch it as soon as Bullhead is available this fall.  I'd love a better battery, GPS, and camera.

My experience mirrors everyone else's. The GPS on this phone has always been flaky. I used to think I got a faulty unit, but I guess they're all like that. It hasn't really bothered me because I don't use it very often except for Signalcheck.