Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

100% stock, unlocked bootloader.

You might as well just backup your crucial things and flash the firmware now. That way you can OTA to the new one when the time comes without worry. There's really no point in putting it off, you're not going to want to do it more later down the line. It only takes about 5-10 minutes if you are slightly good with technology. Plus there numerous guides if you get stuck.

You might as well just backup your crucial things and flash the firmware now. That way you can OTA to the new one when the time comes without worry. There's really no point in putting it off, you're not going to want to do it more later down the line. It only takes about 5-10 minutes if you are slightly good with technology. Plus there numerous guides if you get stuck.

I've done it tons of times, its just the part about setting up my phone that drives me crazy. 

I've done it tons of times, its just the part about setting up my phone that drives me crazy.

The initial setup, or having to reinstall your apps and accounts and such? This is where twrp comes in handy, makes getting your phone back to how you want it a lot simpler.

Okay... phone is completely stock.

Recently I noticed to make a call from contacts I have to click and then click once more to make the call. When I click I can see it change the frame to pull up the call screen but immediately that goes away and then when I click it (the call button) again it works successfully.

This happens when A) Calling from my contacts and also B) when adding a new number and calling from there. I've also noticed the phone redraws the home screen quite often and it is sorta annoying.

Okay... phone is completely stock.

I've also noticed the phone redraws the home screen quite often and it is sorta annoying.

Yup. Lollipop has had that issue for a while. I switched my launcher to Nova launcher (a pretty good launcher that I've used since tha Galaxy S 3 days), and while I still run into redraws from time to time, I don't get it as often as with the Google Launcher. Maybe you can try that and see if that goes away. 

I've also been having the same experience within the past few days/weeks. I don't know what's happening, but it seems to just miss random calls. Some calls go through, but others just don't even reach my phone. I just either see a voicemail, a text from the person who called me, or a call that happened to be the 7th try of the other person. I'm stock rooted as well, but no fancy shmancy things like Xposed. Just Titanium Backup.

Ditto. I don't think it's the device as much as it is the network. I went through a few hellish weeks of this last year, suddenly it all went away and B41 started popping up everywhere. Now it's happening again.. I take the positive outlook and assume it's more upgrades, and enjoy the inability to get stuck talking on the phone for hours on end!

-Mike

Ditto. I don't think it's the device as much as it is the network. I went through a few hellish weeks of this last year, suddenly it all went away and B41 started popping up everywhere. Now it's happening again.. I take the positive outlook and assume it's more upgrades, and enjoy the inability to get stuck talking on the phone for hours on end!

-Mike

I also think it's a network issue, but we'll see. Unfortunately for me, my missed call last Saturday made me miss a dinner with my parents. Or a missed call to my girlfriend means I'm outside of our apartment waiting for her while I'm blocking traffic. So yea, there's that.

sounds like ecsfb issues?

That's exactly what it sounds like to me. I can't verify if I was on LTE or not while the calls were trying to be made, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was since I have pretty good LTE signal at home. The problem is this hasn't happened to me before being in an ALU market. It could have been something that got messed up when they upgraded my home tower to LTE a couple months ago. I contacted Sprint customer service already talking about the issue, and I hinted that it could have been an eCSFB issue without sounding like I knew what eCSFB was, but it's hard to reproduce the problem because most of the time, it's ok, and it's not like I receive calls on a daily basis.

Huawei Nexus 5 2015.

Discuss...

AJ

I'll believe it when I see it

Yep. I think it's pretty unlikely. Still possible though.

I always did hope that Google would return to a more normal screen size for the next Nexus.

I actually kinda think there's a chance we'll see one at I/O, with another phablet in the fall. It would put Google's hardware release cycle in line with everyone else's. "Normal" size phone in the Spring, phablet in the fall.

Of course, that's extremely unlikely given how low-key the Nexus program is. I just hope that Google still recognizes the market for smaller phones.

Huawei products have been sold by US carriers in the past, albeit often under carrier names, particularly in the hotspot realm. Besides which, all of the leading brands are built from components from Chinese manufacturers in Chinese factories, so if the Chinese authorities can backdoor a Huawei device they can backdoor one from Samsung or LG or Apple too with equal ease.

• Like 1

Huawei Nexus 5 2015.

Discuss...

AJ

Was looking forward to a Motorola Nexus 5 in the absence of the Moto X on Sprint (which hopefully Sprint changes its mind on having the 2015 version within its lineup). I like what I see from Huawei. Don't mind it at all. Will like to see how its SoC matches Qualcomm's later on the year.

• Like 1

Was looking forward to a Motorola Nexus 5 in the absence of the Moto X on Sprint (which hopefully Sprint changes its mind on having the 2015 version within its lineup). I like what I see from Huawei. Don't mind it at all. Will like to see how its SoC matches Qualcomm's later on the year.

Keep in mind that the Motorola Mobility of old is gone.  It now belongs to Lenovo.  The 2014 Motorola X may have been the last true Motorola flagship caliber handset.  Future products have to be considered as much Lenovo as they are Motorola.  For that reason, I would take a wait and see attitude.

AJ

To be honest, I'm probably done with the Nexus phones until they can bring battery life up to par with the flagship devices that fall in the same generation. As much as I love my Nexus 5 and AOSP Android, I find that I'm wishing I had more battery life during the day, especially considering I work in a building that gives everyone bad signal regardless of carrier. I mean, in terms of just the Snapdragon 80x devices that the Nexus 5 and 6 fall under, the LG G2, Galaxy S 5, and the HTC One M8 pretty much consistently beat both Nexus phones in different websites' battery tests. Even something as small as the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact is beating the Nexus phones on battery life.

For my next phone, I bought my Nexus 5 off contract, so I can technically upgrade now if I wanted to, but I'm kind of playing the waiting game to see what LG comes out with for the G4 and how Samsung treats the Note 5. The Note 5 will be released during fall most likely, so I have a quite a while to wait for, but like I said, I still love my Nexus 5 so I can wait. I just have a charger at work to make sure I'm not going under by the end of the day.

get a wireless charger puck or matt it makes it easy to keep your phone charged on your desk

I know what my options are. The fact that I have to charge it midday is what bothers me, not whether charging is easy to do or not.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm probably done with the Nexus phones until they can bring battery life up to par with the flagship devices that fall in the same generation.

To be fair, compare prices.  The Nexus 5 was $350.  Other flagships of the time ran $600+ unsubsidized.

So, if the Nexus 5 does not cut it, you may need to shell out more for a handset.

AJ

To be fair, compare prices.  The Nexus 5 was $350.  Other flagships of the time ran $600+ unsubsidized.

So, if the Nexus 5 does not cut it, you may need to shell out more for a handset.

AJ

I agree about the off contract price difference, and in the end, I'm ok with paying the $200-$300 to get on a 2 year contract. It's not like I'm leaving Sprint anytime soon anyway, and the Galaxy S 3 and Nexus 5 proved to me that a good enough handset is usually just fine 2 years down the road.

Edit: and to add to that, I was already planning on holding onto the Nexus 5 until VoLTE and CA become more prevalent, so who knows how long I would have held onto the N5 if it wasn't for the battery life. I'll be just fine with spending the $300 (most likely) on contract price for the Galaxy Note 5 if it holds up just as well as my recent phones.

Edited by metayoshi

Keep in mind that the Motorola Mobility of old is gone. It now belongs to Lenovo. The 2014 Motorola X may have been the last true Motorola flagship caliber handset. Future products have to be considered as much Lenovo as they are Motorola. For that reason, I would take a wait and see attitude.

AJ

http://arc.applause.com/2015/03/06/moto-x-will-survive-now-owned-lenovo/

Related article about the Moto X with Levono. I agree with the wait and see. Hopefully, it will be worth the wait.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/09/google-officially-announces-android-5-1-rollout-starts-today-dual-sim-support-hd-voice-and-device-protection/

Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 and GPE devices have another update inbound starting today. Look out for build LMY47D

Edited by UCFKnight
  • Like 6