LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Update:  I did swap my son's phone & it continued to have issues (no 4G and frequent "Cannot establish a Wireless Connection".  So just now swapped SIM's from his to mine.  I did see a 4G connection for a bit.  Oh My Phone (with his SIM), I started to get the "Cannot Establish a Wireless Connection" and no 4G).  However, both of us had issues with the SIM's swapped.  His said "Invalid Card" (or Invalid SIM, i forget which). & mine went  to the Self Service menu & told me to reboot, then told me to contact Sprint, so I just swapped them back.  It does seem to be SIM card related.  I'm going to take them into a Sprint store later.  

Called Sprint.  Apparently they didn't have the right SIM card registered to his phone.  Got it registered correctly & it finally works correct.  So, if you know you should get 4G and are not in an area with eCSFB switching issues, then it maybe a SIM card registration issue.  I find it strange that 2 of the 3 phones I got had this issue, but my son's phone is working now. 

• Like 5

received. Used another phone to send the message while the n5 ran a speed test. Would it really matter of it switched back to 1x when sending since most likely you'd be in the messaging app and not browsing the web

If you were downloading or streaming data at the time, the fallback to CDMA1X definitely could matter.

AJ

Well what have you been reading?  I'd trust AJ over just any article on the internet.

The eCSFB news article posted here in S4GRU states it will fallback to 1xRTT for the text and call, but the text would be small an quick, and therefor may not be noticeable...

When the Sprint network tries to forward a call/text to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call or text on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If it is just a text, the data session is only interrupted for fractions of a second and is likely not even noticed by the user.

Will have to play around tomorrow and see if the spectrum analyzer can see it hit on the PCS A block when I send a text while downloading.

Or if the texts take forever to send I know it is going over LTE as the site I will be testing with gets around 100 kilobits down with 1000+ ms pings during the day.

OK guys....I think I may be on to something with the 4G Disconnecting quite often...while other devices hold 4G (Not related to eCSFB)....Give this a try:

- Go into the hidden menu where you can enable LTE Only: 5689#*980#

- Select the "IOT(CDG2)" Option

- Go into "LTE Setting"

- Go into "UE Usage"

- Change value from "Voice Centric" to "Data Centric"

(No need to reboot phone)

I have noticed that my 4G Holds on alot longer than usual. My values have gone down into the -125dbm range before falling back to 3G and it will even "ReScan" for 4G signal before dropping to 3G....Also to note, I haven't lost Calls either by switching (I'm assuming as long as you're in an Incumbent or NV Market with eCSFB). 

Test it out and post your results!! Hope it helps you all keep that 4G Longer!  :D

Kris

• Like 2

Will have to play around tomorrow and see if the spectrum analyzer can see it hit on the PCS A block when I send a text while downloading. Or if the texts take forever to send I know it is going over LTE as the site I will be testing with gets around 100 kilobits down with 1000+ ms pings during the day.

So I did some testing with the N5 on LTE and on 3G.  AJ is absolutely correct in that the 1x paging channel is tunneled on the LTE side.  Two things support this: 

1. The LTE site I'm attached to is slammed packed to capacity on M-F.  It's usually unusable with 1000ms to 3000+ ms pings and speedtests usually fail to complete.  When I send a text on this site it takes about 30 seconds to go through.  If I switch to 3G on my phone, the texts go through immediately. 

2.  When I watch the spectrum analyzer on the 10mhz of A block uplink that Sprint has here it is relatively quiet when I'm on LTE and sending texts back and forth, no peaks on the screen.  Once I flip to 3G I can see the device sending it's handshakes on 1X and EVDO.  When I send a text I can see the peaks on the 1x side of the screen. 

• Like 5

So I did some testing with the N5 on LTE and on 3G.  AJ is absolutely correct in that the 1x paging channel is tunneled on the LTE side.  Two things support this: 

1. The LTE site I'm attached to is slammed packed to capacity on M-F.  It's usually unusable with 1000ms to 3000+ ms pings and speedtests usually fail to complete.  When I send a text on this site it takes about 30 seconds to go through.  If I switch to 3G on my phone, the texts go through immediately. 

2.  When I watch the spectrum analyzer on the 10mhz of A block uplink that Sprint has here it is relatively quiet when I'm on LTE and sending texts back and forth, no peaks on the screen.  Once I flip to 3G I can see the device sending it's handshakes on 1X and EVDO.  When I send a text I can see the peaks on the 1x side of the screen. 

BOOM.....Proof

The eCSFB news article posted here in S4GRU states it will fallback to 1xRTT for the text and call, but the text would be small an quick, and therefor may not be noticeable...

I believe it has been proven now above a reasonable doubt that SMS is capable of running on LTE on the new network. I need to revise my article. But it is true for a call. Sorry about the error.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Ok I have this issue when I place a call my internet does not reconnect after the call, I have to reboot the phone to get Internet again

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

So, if I am reading this correctly, you have also been able to send SMS over LTE.  Is that accurate?

If so, it follows some seemingly anomalous behavior that I discovered a year ago.  I found that the EVO LTE oddly could still send SMS while set to LTE Only mode; it just could not receive SMS while set to LTE Only mode.  

I ran a few experiments with Robert, and we confirmed that behavior using just the stock messaging app.  The unaccounted for variable, however, was Google Voice integration, since my primary Sprint number is integrated with Google Voice, the Google Voice app was installed on the EVO LTE, and the app sends pseudo SMS over data.

AJ

I believe it has been proven now above a reasonable doubt that SMS is capable of running on LTE on the new network. I need to revise my article. But it is true for a call. Sorry about the error.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

What about sending/reciving on the older network? Just a thought.

What about sending/reciving on the older network? Just a thought.

I do not understand your question.  Can you clarify?

AJ

I do not understand your question. Can you clarify?

AJ

To my knowledge, the newer network.letting text go throught lte. What about a older "style" lte network, would it kick it back to ehrpd for a split second? Just thought id ask, mine seems to send through ehprd fine but when im connected go lte it takes a second or two to send one. (Most of the time when im on lte im drivng do i cant really test it for sure)

Are you talking about these numbers?

LG G2
RF ERP/EIRP maximum:
19.80 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
21.64 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900),
23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900),
17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

Nexus 5
RF ERP/EIRP Maximum:
23.10 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
30.00 dBm (CDMA1x/EV-DO 1900),
23.28-23.96 dBm (LTE 1900),
19.80-20.80 dBm (LTE 800),
20.81-21.71 dBm (LTE 2600)

Galaxy Note 3
RF ERP/EIRP maximum:
19.82-20.93 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 850),
18.91-21.30 dBm (CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900),
21.85-23.63 dBm (LTE 1900)

EDIT: Made it easier to read.
EDIT2: I see no LTE 800 numbers on the G2.  This was all pulled from AJ's articles on the Wall.

I was reviewing the RF ERP/EIRP of the G2, N5 and GN3.  Since these are uplink numbers, I assume a higher value is better (meaning more transmitting power)?  Am I correct?  I know that in receiving, the closer negative number you get to zero is better.  Thanks

So, if I am reading this correctly, you have also been able to send SMS over LTE.  Is that accurate?

Correct. I sent some texts to my wife back and forth in 3G mode to see the behavior on the spectrum analyzer. You can see the handshake even with receiving the SMS.  I was doing this without an antenna on the analyzer since I was only a few feet away and needed to turn down the signal a bit plus I didn't want to pick up other signals.  With every texts outbound or inbound I could see the quick spike on channel 25.  Once I flip to LTE and send and receive texts I saw absolutely no spikes on the uplink during the sending and receiving of about 10 text messages.  This is over a regular SMS app with no google voice integration or hangouts or whatever on either device.

To my knowledge, the newer network.letting text go throught lte. What about a older "style" lte network, would it kick it back to ehrpd for a split second? Just thought id ask, mine seems to send through ehprd fine but when im connected go lte it takes a second or two to send one. (Most of the time when im on lte im drivng do i cant really test it for sure)

Sending SMS via LTE has nothing to do with e/CSFB.  As I stated earlier, I was sending SMS via LTE in my experiment a year ago.

Now, any fallback for SMS would not be to eHRPD.  It would be to CDMA1X, which should be how your Note 2 sends SMS, since it supports SVLTE.

AJ

Sending SMS via LTE has nothing to do with e/CSFB. As I stated earlier, I was sending SMS via LTE in my experiment a year ago.

Now, any fallback for SMS would not be to eHRPD. It would be to CDMA1X, which should be how your Note 2 sends SMS, since it supports SVLTE.

AJ

Ok i got it now, thanks. Its funny how these new phones communicate.

So the tower closet to my house was activated a week ago today. I knew I wouldn't get CSFB until a week or so later. Tonight my phone finally connected to the LTE from that tower. But now I can receive phone calls while connected to it via LTE. I verified that I'm not in LTE only and still can't receive calls. I did a PRL update and a Profile update. When I changed my phone back to CDMA/EV-DO my phone then started receiving phone calls. When I put it back in the default setting and look in Signal Check it shows me as having no connections at all. Has anybody else experienced this?

So the tower closet to my house was activated a week ago today. I knew I wouldn't get CSFB until a week or so later. Tonight my phone finally connected to the LTE from that tower. But now I can receive phone calls while connected to it via LTE. I verified that I'm not in LTE only and still can't receive calls. I did a PRL update and a Profile update. When I changed my phone back to CDMA/EV-DO my phone then started receiving phone calls. When I put it back in the default setting and look in Signal Check it shows me as having no connections at all. Has anybody else experienced this?

I have a tower around the corner from my house that had been active since I got my G2. Couldn't connect to LTE to same my life unless I went LTE only. Finally, as of today, I connected to LTE on LTE/cdma do I'm assuming the upgrade is done for eCSFB.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Called Sprint. Apparently they didn't have the right SIM card registered to his phone. Got it registered correctly & it finally works correct. So, if you know you should get 4G and are not in an area with eCSFB switching issues, then it maybe a SIM card registration issue.

That was exactly my issue. After swapping phones, visits to Sprint stores, and multiple calls to Sprint support, I called back tonight and asked them to check my SIM card registration. They identified that it hadn't been registered correctly. Now I finally have 4G LTE!! Thanks for posting your solution!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk