LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Ok guys,

Trying to get the thought of everyone, on the RF on this G2. Thinking about getting on Sunday on this sale. Just little worried about the RF. At the beginning of this thread the RF was the best thing since slice bread. Then the N5 came, and screen post show  a couple of dbm difference. Now there has been talk about radio firmware upgrade testing and it has a sub par performance of the radio. 

So where does everyone stand on this? Is it that much of a difference from the N5? Will there be a update or status?  This is the only thing holding be back on the phone.

My G2 is just OK.  It does not have stellar RF performance.  At my house and many other places around the town the G2 will hold LTE for a period of time, then when its measured signal hits about -113 dBm to -118 dBm it will fall back to a weak 3G signal.  Briefly, I had a Samsung GN3.  That phone held LTE in the same places much better.  It's almost like the signal from the antenna on my G2 is attenuated before it reaches the radio, or the radio sensitivity isn't adjusted correctly to accept full signal from the antenna. 

An experiment I did was to go deep into the corners of my basement, where you wouldn't expect a signal to work well anyway.  The GN3 really had to be in a corner area for a while before it would drop LTE and switch to 3G.  The G2 on the other hand, loses LTE on the way to a corner long before I even get there, where the GN3 still had and held a usable LTE signal.

Like "ericdabbs" said though, the possibility exists that RF performance shortcomings could be addressed in an update.  Whether or not that will happen - none of us know 100% for sure.  If that would happen the phone would be outstanding.  

You could also try checking other forums or "Google" LG G2 reception.  When I did that, there were plenty of other people complaining, for this to be an isolated situation.  In my thinking, this will increase the odds of the RF performance getting fixed by LG. 

As far as 1x800 goes, the G2 picks up towers miles away (but that's to be expected).  I think the shortcoming is only 1900 MHz LTE.  I wish there were band 26 in my area.  I'd love to see how well the G2 does with 800 MHz LTE. 

Good luck with your decision. 

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm going to roll the dice and get them for the family with the sale. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the N5 has the Kit Kat. And as mention above, upgrading to that might have the fix for the RF issue. Besides 800 should fix the problem also.Si

Just can't beat this phone for $50.  So I'm going to get 3.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm going to roll the dice and get them for the family with the sale. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the N5 has the Kit Kat. And as mention above, upgrading to that might have the fix for the RF issue. Besides 800 should fix the problem also.Si

Just can't beat this phone for $50.  So I'm going to get 3.

Thanks again.

Wait until tomorrow. It'll be free via websales.

Wait until tomorrow. It'll be free via websales.

That would sound great, But I can open new lines under my 1500 everything plan I just aquired?  Do you know of a way to do it? Also does anyone know if the $50 sale will make it to Dec. 19?

My G2 is just OK. It does not have stellar RF performance. At my house and many other places around the town the G2 will hold LTE for a period of time, then when its measured signal hits about -113 dBm to -118 dBm it will fall back to a weak 3G signal. Briefly, I had a Samsung GN3. That phone held LTE in the same places much better. It's almost like the signal from the antenna on my G2 is attenuated before it reaches the radio, or the radio sensitivity isn't adjusted correctly to accept full signal from the antenna.

An experiment I did was to go deep into the corners of my basement, where you wouldn't expect a signal to work well anyway. The GN3 really had to be in a corner area for a while before it would drop LTE and switch to 3G. The G2 on the other hand, loses LTE on the way to a corner long before I even get there, where the GN3 still had and held a usable LTE signal.

Like "ericdabbs" said though, the possibility exists that RF performance shortcomings could be addressed in an update. Whether or not that will happen - none of us know 100% for sure. If that would happen the phone would be outstanding.

You could also try checking other forums or "Google" LG G2 reception. When I did that, there were plenty of other people complaining, for this to be an isolated situation. In my thinking, this will increase the odds of the RF performance getting fixed by LG.

As far as 1x800 goes, the G2 picks up towers miles away (but that's to be expected). I think the shortcoming is only 1900 MHz LTE. I wish there were band 26 in my area. I'd love to see how well the G2 does with 800 MHz LTE.

Good luck with your decision.

This sounds like it may be a threshold issue. And it may not even be a problem, just a preference. We have just as many people around our forums who get mad because their device will not revert back to 3G when their LTE signal gets weak.

To know if the G2 has lesser RF performance you would need to compare it to another device in the same places on the same site/sector/carrier while they both have an LTE signal to see which has a stronger signal. Otherwise you are just comparing software 3G fallback thresholds created by the OEM.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

That would sound great, But I can open new lines under my 1500 everything plan I just aquired?  Do you know of a way to do it? Also does anyone know if the $50 sale will make it to Dec. 19?

No idea on the first question and I seriously doubt the G2 will be priced @ $50 after today or Free after tomorrow.

This sounds like it may be a threshold issue. And it may not even be a problem, just a preference. We have just as many people around our forums who get mad because their device will not revert back to 3G when their LTE signal gets weak.

To know if the G2 has lesser RF performance you would need to compare it to another device in the same places on the same site/sector/carrier while they both have an LTE signal to see which has a stronger signal. Otherwise you are just comparing software 3G fallback thresholds created by the OEM.

It would be nice if signal threshold and LTE scan time could be user definable so that no matter personal preference, anyone could find a happy medium. I wouldn't mind if the threshold were set slightly lower if I could also decrease the time it takes for it to rescan. Usually when I drop my LTE signal, a new signal is within 30-60 seconds of me. Waiting an additional 4 minutes seems like an eternity.

Makes sense.  I remember The Dave saying his G2 held an LTE signal down as far as -126 dBm.

Do you think there could have been changes made to the threshold levels during manufacture?  Or do to many other variables come into play here?

It would be nice if signal threshold and LTE scan time could be user definable so that no matter personal preference, anyone could find a happy medium. I wouldn't mind if the threshold were set slightly lower if I could also decrease the time it takes for it to rescan. Usually when I drop my LTE signal, a new signal is within 30-60 seconds of me. Waiting an additional 4 minutes seems like an eternity.

That's a great idea.  I'm sure a trade-off would be battery life though...

That's a great idea.  I'm sure a trade-off would be battery life though...

If you are in an area without many LTE upgraded towers, it would be a problem with battery level. In my town, every tower except for 3 have LTE. If I do drop, it is very temporary. In a mature LTE area, I don't see battery level going down much since there wouldn't be many times where it'd need to rescan for an LTE signal. That's why it'd be better to have a user defined scan time. They could even add a message explaining the trade off so the customer realizes that factors involved. If you aren't in a very dense LTE area, you could even set it longer like 10-15 minutes so that you save even more battery power. Just a thought..

If you are in an area without many LTE upgraded towers, it would be a problem with battery level. In my town, every tower except for 3 have LTE. If I do drop, it is very temporary. In a mature LTE area, I don't see battery level going down much since there wouldn't be many times where it'd need to rescan for an LTE signal. That's why it'd be better to have a user defined scan time. They could even add a message explaining the trade off so the customer realizes that factors involved. If you aren't in a very dense LTE area, you could even set it longer like 10-15 minutes so that you save even more battery power. Just a thought..

I think you should suggest your idea to Spring/LG?  Sounds like a winner to me.  It would probably have to be a hidden menu so that Joe average wouldn't end up screwing up their device. 

I went to best buy today with $50 in my hand to go get my LG G2. When I got there, it was FREE STARTING TODAY! I finally got the LG G2. I am so happy. Now, time to learn more about it. :)

• Like 1

I had the Note 3 for short while and thought the phone was great. But the battery life wasn't as good as advertised(for me). So I decided to go with the G2 which I have been very happy with.

But recently, my signal has been sporadic. I just found this post and tested myself. And sure enough my signal came back after turning my wifi on and off.

Here is the quote - I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it.

"Hi,

I think I discovered what seems to be a critical software bug regarding the signal of the LG G2 in weak signal environments.

In my house, the signal is generally very weak. However, it is usable. But when the phone shows 0 bars of signal due to it being placed in a very weak signal spot or hands covering the antenna, the signal strength never comes back and my number cannot be called until I take one of the following actions:

If I turn the Wi-Fi off, the signal comes back instantly. If I make a call, the signal comes back instantly and I can make the call. And if I turn the airplane mode on and then off, the signal reappears.
This has never happened on my Nexus 4, and it only happens inside my house where I have a weak signal.

Any ideas regarding the resolution of this ? Can I boost the signal sensitivity from somewhere in a secret menu ?

I hope that this issue will be solved in an upcoming update, but I can't be sure.

PS: I am running the International version of the G2, on Vodafone Romania."

I had the Note 3 for short while and thought the phone was great. But the battery life wasn't as good as advertised(for me). So I decided to go with the G2 which I have been very happy with.

But recently, my signal has been sporadic. I just found this post and tested myself. And sure enough my signal came back after turning my wifi on and off.

Here is the quote - I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it.

"Hi,

I think I discovered what seems to be a critical software bug regarding the signal of the LG G2 in weak signal environments.

In my house, the signal is generally very weak. However, it is usable. But when the phone shows 0 bars of signal due to it being placed in a very weak signal spot or hands covering the antenna, the signal strength never comes back and my number cannot be called until I take one of the following actions:

If I turn the Wi-Fi off, the signal comes back instantly. If I make a call, the signal comes back instantly and I can make the call. And if I turn the airplane mode on and then off, the signal reappears.

This has never happened on my Nexus 4, and it only happens inside my house where I have a weak signal.

Any ideas regarding the resolution of this ? Can I boost the signal sensitivity from somewhere in a secret menu ?

I hope that this issue will be solved in an upcoming update, but I can't be sure.

PS: I am running the International version of the G2, on Vodafone Romania."

I haven't had that exact same issue, but at times when I am in an area where there is no eHRPD, my G2 will drop down to 1x800 (...and that's all it will receive).  The only way for me to regain 4G LTE is to power cycle the phone or change network modes then go back to LTE/CDMA or Global.  It refuses to switch back to LTE on its own.  I have waited longer than the 5.12 minutes required after I am back in a known -62 dBm LTE area, but the G2 just refuses to switch back on its own.  Once I manually cycle the G2, it's fine until the next time I'm in a no eHRPD area.  It likes to pull this stunt on Chambers Hill road and Mushroom Hill just about when you get to 322 in Harrisburg. 

Has anyone found a way to get wifi tethering yet? I am rooted and downloaded the app, but it is not working like it did on my photon...

Yes, you call Sprint and add wireless tethering to your plan. It will work as designed.

Sent from my LG G2.

• Like 10

Has anyone found a way to get wifi tethering yet? I am rooted and downloaded the app, but it is not working like it did on my photon...

Call Sprint and ask them to add a wifi hotspot plan to your current phone plan.

• Like 2

Well I'm with the G2 club with 3 new phone!!

Congrats man.  I know its been a long time waiting and you had perfect timing too with the BF sale where the phones are super cheap.  It makes me wish I waited a few more weeks to get the G2 on the cheap.

Congrats man.  I know its been a long time waiting and you had perfect timing too with the BF sale where the phones are super cheap.  It makes me wish I waited a few more weeks to get the G2 on the cheap.

Thanks,

Still have to wait until the 19th to port over my old numbers. But I can play with it until then!  

Hello. First, great forum- I can feel the love, as well as the collective genius at work here. It's refreshing to find a forum where people actually know their sh*t on a real, technologically advanced level. It's relieving as well, considering the headache that my new G2 is causing... as follows:

This is a Sprint device and I am still within the time frame to return if a resolution is not found.

Issue:

1.) While wi-fi remains connected (doesn't drop), it is terribly slow, averaging .8 - 3 mbps. Whereas, other Samsung android devices are averaging 15-20 mbps. Internet is cable, and I have reset the modem without experiencing any performance increase.

2.) 4g is no better, averaging a mind boggling .5 mbps. (Don't even get me started on 3g- .1-.3 mbps)

3.) If 4g is even able to connect, which is rare... it disappears and and is nowhere to be found, or be (re) enabled.

Attempted (unsuccessful resolutions):

1.) Performed Sprint recommended troubleshooting techniques:

a.) updated profile

b.) soft reset(s)

c.) hard resets- multiple

2.) contacted customer care: received "refreshers," and was walked through numerous settings and performed various resets.

Recommended CC resolution: return device for exchange.

3.) Sprint store attempted to identify problem, and in the process found that their demo, along with employee handsets (G2) as well as new unboxed versions had the same problem. They offered to switch to an S4 or Nexus5 for free, or wait a couple days to see if the LG rep could offer a fix.

(further) Resolution: pending

Here's the deal- I think we can all agree that this phone is kick ass. Therefore, I would rather not switch, as I enjoy the experience it provides, as well as the satisfaction of getting to really bond with a device when troubleshooting them.

Please know that I am scouring middle earth low and wide for resolutions, and have not composed this post without first looking and becoming familiar with other peoples similiar experiences. I will continue to fact find, and I apologize for not reading all (nearly hundred) pages before posting, but time is of the nigh, as I am still within a time frame to return in case the problem is inherent to this specific device (a lemon). Plus, I don't quite understand everything you're talking about, as I've never had/chosen to dig that deep into the obscure settings and techniques I've seen listed (and also because I JUST got it) Hence, the user name- g2 n00b. :)

So thank you in advance for your time in helping with this. It is both greatly appreciated, and not without gratitude on my part. Also, I hope I displayed proper educate by formating this post in a manner which is easy to sort through.  K. let the trouble shooting begin. :)

Edited by G2 n00b