LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

So can it be set to LTE now?  Or does the "it was accessible" mean no longer. 

If you took the Kit Kat update you can no longer access the hidden menu that allows you to set your phone to LTE mode only. Did that answer your question?

Yes I am experiencing that as well.  Have you looked at your battery status to see what applications are draining your battery?

Yeah, Nothing is different or draining more than usual. This is horrible how fast it's draining now. I hope it's addressed soon.

But you really dont have to sideload. Just use the Google Services Framework trick that a bunch of us used. Updated my wife's phone the same way last night when I got home from work. It just takes a couple tries for most. 

There are documented side effects with that method discussed by Google Android developers. I never recommend messing with system files, especially if you don't know everything they do. The GSF is a core system app that manages everything related to your devices UUID, among many other things. This is why it can cause the update to appear (GOTA servers use your UUID for update availability). It also will adversely affect any other application that utilizes your UUID, some of which simply will need some time to update to the new UUID, some may need to be uninstalled/reinstalled, some may require a complete factory reset. Every downloaded application is different, and there's no way to tell what resetting GSF will do for every person.

It is irresponsible to tell people to do so without properly educating them about the possible issues they may encounter by doing so. If after being educated (or ignoring it), people decide to anyway, that's on them. Not disclosing possible issues they may run into though is irresponsible.

• Like 2

There are documented side effects with that method discussed by Google Android developers. I never recommend messing with system files, especially if you don't know everything they do. The GSF is a core system app that manages everything related to your devices UUID, among many other things. This is why it can cause the update to appear (GOTA servers use your UUID for update availability). It also will adversely affect any other application that utilizes your UUID, some of which simply will need some time to update to the new UUID, some may need to be uninstalled/reinstalled, some may require a complete factory reset. Every downloaded application is different, and there's no way to tell what resetting GSF will do for every person.

It is irresponsible to tell people to do so without properly educating them about the possible issues they may encounter by doing so. If after being educated (or ignoring it), people decide to anyway, that's on them. Not disclosing possible issues they may run into though is irresponsible.

But if you do a factory reset, then SCRTN once it's reset, that should make it mostly safe if you've used this method? Just curious, I was thinking about a factory reset anyway just to make sure there aren't any rogue apps with the update.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

There are documented side effects with that method discussed by Google Android developers. I never recommend messing with system files, especially if you don't know everything they do. The GSF is a core system app that manages everything related to your devices UUID, among many other things. This is why it can cause the update to appear (GOTA servers use your UUID for update availability). It also will adversely affect any other application that utilizes your UUID, some of which simply will need some time to update to the new UUID, some may need to be uninstalled/reinstalled, some may require a complete factory reset. Every downloaded application is different, and there's no way to tell what resetting GSF will do for every person.

And it wasn't irresponsible to tell people to sideload, when it ended up causing a boot loop?????

The GSF force stop has never had a history of any irreversible side effects that I've heard of or experienced with previous phones. 

But if you do a factory reset, then SCRTN once it's reset, that should make it mostly safe if you've used this method? Just curious, I was thinking about a factory reset anyway just to make sure there aren't any rogue apps with the update.

Yes, a factory reset would "correct" any issues that clearing GSF may cause, as everything it handles gets reset when the phone does anyway.

A factory reset is a great idea after any software update, especially major Android versions like this update to KitKat. Most people will not do this however (myself included even though I know better, if I have issues I will, I'm stubborn like that). Since the majority of people won't do this, advocating clearing GSF without giving the possible side effects is a terrible idea, and will likely result in a frustrated customer calling into Care or going into a store because their phone "doesn't work right after the update". The issues they have might only be related to clearing GSF, not the update itself, causing further complications, especially when issues showing up get reported back to Sprint's device team, an they waste time with the manufacturer trying to find phantom issues that don't actually exist with the update.

And it wasn't irresponsible to tell people to sideload, when it ended up causing a boot loop?????

The GSF force stop has never had a history of any irreversible side effects that I've heard of or experienced with previous phones. 

once it reboots into recovery that first time, you need to sideload it again, and then it should reboot back into recovery 1 more time, and sideload it again. its a 3 step process, if you reboot to system after the first one, or 2nd, you will bootloop.  Have to sideload the update 3 times  (dont clear cache or anything between sideloads)

I've never heard of a sideload requiring the steps the G2 required with this update. From all of my experience (and apparently most of the users on XDA from my reading) it works the first time 99% of the time. It is a fundamental feature of the Android development process and has been consistent in working since it was introduced in Android. Requiring three sideloads following each other is very bizarre for an update.

Just because you haven't seen the issues, doesn't mean there aren't any happening behind the scenes on your phone.

The article about the Google Engineer's post, with a link to source.

• Like 1

I've never heard of a sideload requiring the steps the G2 required with this update. From all of my experience (and apparently most of the users on XDA from my reading) it works the first time 99% of the time. It is a fundamental feature of the Android development process and has been consistent in working since it was introduced in Android. Requiring three sideloads following each other is very bizarre for an update.

Just because you haven't seen the issues, doesn't mean there aren't any happening behind the scenes on your phone.

The article about the Google Engineer's post, with a link to source.

Well it DID take a bunch of extra steps and inconvenienced a lot of people. Just sayin, don't come all high and mighty next time.

Nothing would be irreversible. I did the google framework thing when we received the spark update. It really screwed a lot of my apps. It basically rendered every push function useless. Instead of playing the guessing game of "what app is screwed up," I just factory reset.

Anyone know of a ZVA TOT file? A friend took the update, discovered the removed hidden menu and would like to roll back. We get B41 here and it fills in where we don't yet have B25. That for me is a deal breaker as well. Definitely waiting on the stock rooted with hidden menu.

Just tot back to ZV7 and manually update to ZVA. It works just fine. 

So can it be set to LTE now?  Or does the "it was accessible" mean no longer. 

I think you may have figured this out by now but no, if you are on ZVC you cannot get to it but every build (ZV7, ZV8, ZVA) until now has given access.  The Flex did not have access to the Hidden Menu so I kind of figured this would happen BUT hoping that just putting the HiddenMenu.apk into system on a rooted ZVC device may give access.  

I'll test this out myself once I update to ZVC again as I've done it a couple times and ran the tot to go back for testing some things. 

• Like 2

I think you may have figured this out by now but no, if you are on ZVC you cannot get to it but every build (ZV7, ZV8, ZVA) until now has given access.  The Flex did not have access to the Hidden Menu so I kind of figured this would happen BUT hoping that just putting the HiddenMenu.apk into system on a rooted ZVC device may give access.  

I'll test this out myself once I update to ZVC again as I've done it a couple times and ran the tot to go back for testing some things. 

I was thinking the same thing might get it working again, If you can upload the HiddenMenu apk from the previous builds, please do so!

Haven't received the update yet. Has anyone noticed any improvement to the GPS performance?

I will be honest, I haven't been able to connect to GPS since I got the update. My service keeps dropping every 10 minutes and my battery life is awful... Not sure what to do that this point.

I just noticed ##443336772# to get your msl no longer works. I can't remember mine, and I really don't feel like calling sprint.

I will be honest, I haven't been able to connect to GPS since I got the update. My service keeps dropping every 10 minutes and my battery life is awful... Not sure what to do that this point.

It's been stated what you can do, multiple times above and in general with updates..... Hard Reset

I just noticed ##443336772# to get your msl no longer works. I can't remember mine, and I really don't feel like calling sprint.

Get on chat with them, it's not hard to get the MSL from them. 

How do you do a hard reset

By holding volume down and power. Hold the volume down a split second before holding the power or else you'll just take a screenshot