Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Exactly.  When people keep saying the Nexus 5 is based off the G2, I think they're completely off.  There's not a SINGLE thing alike aside from CPU.

I agree.  It is rather annoying when I hear that people assume the Nexus 5 is based off the G2 when the only thing they have in common is the Snapdragon 800.  I think people are just looking at past history when they saw that the Nexus 4 was based almost entirely off of the LG Optimus G (which it was) and assuming that LG is doing the same with the Nexus 5 modeling off of the G2. 

This time though the screen size, button and camera placement, phone shape, battery capacity, camera sensor, build quality (plastic vs. matte), hardware (Nexus 5 probably won't have IR blaster) are not the same between the 2 phones so it has to be built entirely different.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be concerned about the Nexus 5 having a 8 MP camera. The iPhone 5S has a really good camera that's 8 MP, and the HTC One has a 4 MP camera that's really good as well. The difference is that the HTC One and iPhone have cameras with larger pixels that take better pictures in low light.

I don't pay too much mind to megapixels any more because there are lots of other factors that make cameras on smartphones really good.

• Like 4

I wouldn't be concerned about the Nexus 5 having a 8 MP camera. The iPhone 5S has a really good camera that's 8 MP, and the HTC One has a 4 MP camera that's really good as well. The difference is that the HTC One and iPhone have cameras with larger pixels that take better pictures in low light.

I don't pay too much mind to megapixels any more because there are lots of other factors that make cameras on smartphones really good.

Also, in my opinion, it seems like the Smartphone is more likely to be limited by the photographer than the other way around.

Also, in my opinion, it seems like the Smartphone is more likely to be limited by the photographer than the other way around.

You're joking, right?  Not that it's the designers' fault.  You just can't do much with a microscopic sensor and lens. 

You're joking, right?  Not that it's the designers' fault.  You just can't do much with a microscopic sensor and lens.

I agree with Nickel on this one. At this point our smartphones are a lot smarter than most of the users operating them.

• Like 2

(offtopic)

There are 2 sides to photography;

the quality of the physical image (megapixel/resolution etc), and the quality of the image content (selfy/family/action/sunsets and rainbows/etc).

They both can affect each other and compliment each other.

(/offtopic)

I love how much attention is paid to the size of the battery but not how it performs in real world usage.

If you can make it through a day of heavy usage with the Nexus 5, who cares?

Wait till anandtech reviews it and stacks it up against other smartphones, then make an educated decision if the battery life will work for you.

• Like 2

I love how much attention is paid to the size of the battery but not how it performs in real world usage.

If you can make it through a day of heavy usage with the Nexus 5, who cares?

Wait till anandtech reviews it and stacks it up against other smartphones, then make an educated decision if the battery life will work for you.

That second sentence is the big question.  I agree that if you can make it through a day with heavy use on the Nexus 5 then the worries are OBE.  The Snapdragon 800 should help with the battery life like it has with the G2 and Note 3 but we still don't know what real world uses will be on a 2300 maH battery.  Obviously its not going to last as long as the G2 or Note 3.  I have no problem with folks commenting or complaining about the battery size of the Nexus 5 at this point since we have nothing to base on.  I don't think the performance of the phone is going to be an issue hence why there is much more focus on other things like the battery or camera since stock android is stock android.  Nothing really exciting to talk about stock android.

Also the benchmarks that Anandtech or any other tech blog uses are completely useless and no matter what the battery life it claims it can have is going to vary per person.

To further clarify, when I said "photographer" I didn't mean a professional who can get the most out of a camera, I meant the people who just point and shoot then call it good. 

All cell phone cameras are just crap anyways. Some of the crap is crappier or better than the other of course. But the fact still remains that they are all just crap. It's a phone with a little cheap sensor and cracker jack lens. I don't get why people get all hung up on the cameras on phones. Everyone uploads them to some silly social media site that murders the compression and resolution anyways. Get a real camera for actual picture taking and use the phone for taking pictures of your food.

• Like 4

I think the iphone 5s has an impressive camera. What makes it impressive is its sensor compared to phones that are much bigger in size.

The phone's size has nothing to do with the size of the sensor or the lens.  The 5s has a 1/3" sensor, as do the G2 and the S4.  The Nexus 5 has a 1/3.2" sensor.  The Z1 and S4 Zoom have bigger sensors at 1/2.3", which is almost twice the area of the Nexus 5's sensor.  The Lumia 1020 more than doubles that at 2/3".  All of these would fit into a tiny flip-phone if the manufacturer wanted to do that, so phone size doesn't matter. 

But as Digiblur said they all suck if you want a photo you can actually print.  My camera's sensor is 50 times the size of the iphone's, so it captures 50 times as much light.  You'll definitely notice the difference between the 1020 and the Nexus 5 in less-than-ideal lighting, but a phone camera will never have a decent sensor because of the lens size and flange distance requirements of a larger sensor. 

Another element that most people haven't considered is that Sprint's network will be much more "complete" with the expansion of 1x800 deployment, therefore people's phone's won't be working overtime trying to hold on to a signal.  This will no doubt improve battery life.  Combine that with Kitkat's more efficient battery handling and the Snapdragon 800 CPU, 2300mAh may be plenty sufficient.

• Like 1

Rumor is Nexus 5 will release Tuesday.

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-5-and-android-4-4-launching-tuesday-according-to-sources-20131010/

I'd rather have SD slot but if this comes with 32GB and is Triband, will likely go with this.

SD cards have never been part of the Google Nexus phone lineup.  I don't get why people still expect Google to do this.  Even now is a worse time to expect this sort of thing out of Google when even LG and HTC are moving away from removable batteries and SD card slots.

• Like 2

I just hate the fact that they don't want to include sdcards and removable batteries. Not meaning Nexus but HTC, LG and whoever else especially if it's less than 32gb. And how they don't want us to choose the size how the note 2 came in different sizes internationally. But I'm starting to like the idea of the Nexus over the G2.

I just hate the fact that they don't want to include sdcards and removable batteries. Not meaning Nexus but HTC, LG and whoever else especially if it's less than 32gb. And how they don't want us to choose the size how the note 2 came in different sizes internationally. But I'm starting to like the idea of the Nexus over the G2.

But the thing is that HTC and LG with the HTC One and LG G2 are including base storage size of 32 GB.  I don't know what you are talking about.

But the thing is that HTC and LG with the HTC One and LG G2 are including base storage size of 32 GB.  I don't know what you are talking about.

How the last Nexus was 8gb and 16gb.

How the last Nexus was 8gb and 16gb.

???? You said "not meaning Nexus but HTC and LG".  Reread the second sentence in your original post again.  I think you are confusing yourself. 

I gave you a rebuttal about how HTC and LG are not releasing smartphones that are under 32 GB without SD card.

???? You said "not meaning Nexus but HTC and LG". Reread the second sentence in your original post again. I think you are confusing yourself.

Lol yea sorry I didn't know it was 32gb for the HTC One. But I know Nexus never had sdcards..... Now I initially thought Nexus also never had removable batteries but I had the Nexus s 4g. My question is why not include at least sdcard does it make the price go up a lot?

Edited by Redx

Rumor is Nexus 5 will release Tuesday.

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-5-and-android-4-4-launching-tuesday-according-to-sources-20131010/

I'd rather have SD slot but if this comes with 32GB and is Triband, will likely go with this.

I'd HAVE to think we'd be hearing something concrete soon then.  Would seem odd that Google would just up and release it with no fanfare or anything...I know, I know, Nexus 4, but that was a bit different circumstance wise.  To just put it on sale with no previous announcement would seem to be a poor choice.

That said, I'd love if it was Tuesday, just so that it's out.  :D

Lol sorry. I know the Nexus phones never included sdcards. Now what I do not like is the companies not including sdcards with limited space. That's where the Nexus 4 and previous phones come in.

Right which is why I think the Nexus 5 base model will be at least 16 GB.  IMO the base model should be 32 GB with an optional 64 GB especially since SD cards are never going to come into play.

Right which is why I think the Nexus 5 base model will be at least 16 GB.  IMO the base model should be 32 GB with an optional 64 GB especially since SD cards are never going to come into play.

No, thank you.  If I am going to buy a Nexus 5, I want the less expensive 16 GB variant.  Even 8 GB would be fine and dandy to save another $50.  I have lots of money for devices.  But I do not carry around GBs of games and "Breaking Bad" pop culture crap, so let me save that $50 or $100 and donate it to a high minded cause -- S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 6