Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

I would think also in the near future that a lot of phones will be able to house pretty much all bands taking out from cca event sprint adding b12 to some phones.

Why couldn't sprint just buy every small carrier their is at&t and Verizon does it all the time. I know it wouldn't be as many subscribers but coverage would really pick up and I think that's one of the things that hurts them from getting new postpaid subscribers. Idk just a thought.

There is also the the benefit or roaming deals. If they could get all of these carriers under one roof, Sprint would more easily be able to have roaming agreement with other carriers, and it'd be cheaper for consumers.

I'd like to add that we shouldn't assume that Masa is going after Vodafone as an alternative to T-Mo.  May very well have been in the cards all along.  He wants to be a global wireless powerhouse.  Plus, Softbank owns a large chunk of Alibaba, the asian version of amazon I think, which is looking to go public and give Softbank a big infusion of cash.  Looks like Masa is eyeing things to do with that fresh infusion. 

The one central/most obvious thing would be what Masa has been preaching even before the Sprint acquisition....better economy of scale and better strength of position, in particular when it comes to buying devices from phone manufacturers.

Maybe atart with roaming deals, so more carriers support Sprints LTE bands, and then buy, making integration easier?

Just a crazy off the wall comment...

If he goes for Vodafone - I'd suspect that he will sell sprint.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't make sense.  Softbank has about maxed out its growth potential in Japan.  He wants to expand globally. He's in the US market now through Sprint.  He's looking to vodafone because he has no european presence. If he sold Sprint he'd have to turn right around and get back into the US market.  Unless you think he'd by vodafone then sell Sprint and then turnaround and buy TMo?  

Wouldn't make sense.  Softbank has about maxed out its growth potential in Japan.  He wants to expand globally. He's in the US market now through Sprint.  He's looking to vodafone because he has no european presence. If he sold Sprint he'd have to turn right around and get back into the US market.  Unless you think he'd by vodafone then sell Sprint and then turnaround and buy TMo?  

That'd be a lot of wrangling especially considering that he could have initially bought T-Mobile instead of Sprint had he wanted to. As you said, that doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

smh....

wasnt att supposedly trying to buy vodaphone? 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2F2013-10-31%2Fat-t-is-said-to-explore-vodafone-takeover-as-soon-as-next-year.html&ei=SQRDU4uBOImtsASulIDQAg&usg=AFQjCNHxQ8usby28ftK_UUUCatIDrbK7Zg&sig2=pm-OJmxRHiVUUyDoP2bgCA&bvm=bv.64125504,d.cWc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2F2014-01-29%2Fat-t-said-to-still-eye-vodafone-after-renouncing-takeover.html&ei=SQRDU4uBOImtsASulIDQAg&usg=AFQjCNFPaUP83tPInuv-cGIntvu4HFnfKQ&sig2=1ReinDScsaDZMFxd5j5KQw&bvm=bv.64125504,d.cWc

What the heck is going on?   What is the end game? They must see something down the road that we havent figured out yet..

Son will give up on tmo to go after voda, so tmo wasn't that important after all??? He wanted to bring competition to the big 2... Outside side of scale how does this help "bring" competition to the big 2?  Maybe with the cca and net alliance he doesnt need tmo anymore???

I assume that the European Union hasn't forgotten about AT&T being a conduit " alleged" to the NSA

smh....

wasnt att supposedly trying to buy vodaphone?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2F2013-10-31%2Fat-t-is-said-to-explore-vodafone-takeover-as-soon-as-next-year.html&ei=SQRDU4uBOImtsASulIDQAg&usg=AFQjCNHxQ8usby28ftK_UUUCatIDrbK7Zg&sig2=pm-OJmxRHiVUUyDoP2bgCA&bvm=bv.64125504,d.cWc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fnews%2F2014-01-29%2Fat-t-said-to-still-eye-vodafone-after-renouncing-takeover.html&ei=SQRDU4uBOImtsASulIDQAg&usg=AFQjCNFPaUP83tPInuv-cGIntvu4HFnfKQ&sig2=1ReinDScsaDZMFxd5j5KQw&bvm=bv.64125504,d.cWc

What the heck is going on? What is the end game? They must see something down the road that we havent figured out yet..

Son will give up on tmo to go after voda, so tmo wasn't that important after all??? He wanted to bring competition to the big 2... Outside side of scale how does this help "bring" competition to the big 2? Maybe with the cca and net alliance he doesnt need tmo anymore???

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Vodafone has 404 million customers globally, T-Mobile has 143 million customers globally. Maybe this is more about pressuring DT to lower the cost for TMUS and help close the deal on the US side and not so much about entering the EU market. Son could be playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

• Like 5

MEMO to Masa Son remove those ridiculous ads with talking animals. Yes those ads work in Japan but they don't work here. You see the tech blogs are making fun of it plus you give that tmobile ceo more material. The previous ads were terrible and the new ones are beyond terrible.

• Like 1

MEMO to Masa Son remove those ridiculous ads with talking animals. Yes those ads work in Japan but they don't work here. You see the tech blogs are making fun of it plus you give that tmobile ceo more material. The previous ads were terrible and the new ones are beyond terrible.

Pretty sure the ads are going no where. There is a huge storyline involved with them. They will just have to create new commercials that appeal to the people that don't like then.

I personally don't mind them. While I don't find it very informative, they are quirky and catchy. I will wait for the next few commercials to make my final judgements of the commercials.

• Like 2

Like them or not they just might be working. The uptick in people asking about Framily at my location obviously is not representative of the nation, but it has been a noticeable difference the last couple weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I find the commercial interesting but I don't care for it, but that is just me. I have talked with Sprint reps and they say framily has been successful. A lot of people have signed up. So even if it is silly commercials, if they work I am fine with that.

Vodafone has 404 million customers globally, T-Mobile has 143 million customers globally. Maybe this is more about pressuring DT to lower the cost for TMUS and help close the deal on the US side and not so much about entering the EU market. Son could be playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

lowering the deal is great but if it can't get approved by doj/fcc it won't matter... 

You could be on to something though, Masa might be playing chess... I just can't see where this is going though.. then again I am not Masa either.

I just can't see how sprint/tmo/voda works out. Buying voda will help him in the US market how?  He will still own sprint who needs a make over. Wait... Someone mentioned earlier... maybe Buy voda, buy tmo, sell off most of sprint to dish? 

That seems like a big mess though.

• Like 1

lowering the deal is great but if it can't get approved by doj/fcc it won't matter... 

You could be on to something though, Masa might be playing chess... I just can't see where this is going though.. then again I am not Masa either.

I just can't see how sprint/tmo/voda works out. Buying voda will help him in the US market how?  He will still own sprint who needs a make over. Wait... Someone mentioned earlier... maybe Buy voda, buy tmo, sell off most of sprint to dish? 

I can see your lack of understanding, because I know I share it in many ways....but at the same time, we are simply end users/customers and keep looking at things like this with from a very limited personal perspective.  We don't understand the overall big picture/engineering/corporate dynamics of everything as someone like Masa who lives in it daily does.  

The analogy that keeps popping in my head reading your posts is Doc Brown repeatedly having to correct Marty because 'you're just not thinking 4th-dimensionally'.  We're probably lower on the totem pole than Marty even because we're not close friends with Masa/Hesse/etc.

Has T-Mobile/DT said anything publicly relating to the merger? Maybe SoftBank is trying to nudge them into DC to help in getting the deal approved. I'm probably naive in these matters but it seems to me that if both sides start saying "We want to do this. Tell us what we need to do." the more likely it will happen. Also what is the possibility of this being a play regarding a possible acquisition of DT's wireless business? I'm sure the German government wouldn't want to unload the wireline and internet services but maybe they're ready to bail on wireless. It seems to be a pretty regulated marketed in the EU and maybe they want out. I know it would still require US approval due to T-Mobile, but it would get a hell of a lot market access in some large countries. Same with Vodafone. 

I also don't see the gain in divesting themselves of Sprint in the near (5 years) future. They've dropped a lot of money and haven't seen enough improvement to get it back. Masa says he wants to be the biggest and best in the world, and with his SoftBank, Sprint, and other potential international holdings he very well could be. I expect some serious cash flow into SoftBank from the Alibaba IPO, and I guess he's looking to put it to work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/06/5006130/sprints-hesse-price-wars-not-sustainable.html

So what do you all think? Is the current price war sustainable?

damnnn, if he is saying that then most likely he sees Softbank putting in John Rumelstiltskin Legere as the CEO.

Although in all fairness, John wouldn't be where he is at if he wasn't as ruthless and cunning as a CEO, it just that he comes across as a clown doing events.

cue AJ video of "Send in the Clowns"

TS

• Like 1

damnnn, if he is saying that then most likely he sees Softbank putting in John Rumelstiltskin Legere as the CEO.

Although in all fairness, John wouldn't be where he is at if he wasn't as ruthless and cunning as a CEO, it just that he comes across as a clown doing events.

cue AJ video of "Send in the Clowns"

TS

Thank you for the merge.  I almost forgot about this thread.

• Like 1

Thank you for the merge.  I almost forgot about this thread.

haha you weren't the only one
  • Like 1